• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Player Help

A

Antinex

So, at the beginning of the summer recess I decided to go back to World of Warcraft and, although I've always been happy with WoW, I thought it might be fun to try something new. I ended up buying Final Fantaxy XI, as I've been playing games in the series from the beginning.

I've played now for about an hour and I'm more frustrated than I've been in a long time. The user interface-I'm playing on PC-is completely unidiomatic. It is ridiculously bad and seems to be a cheap direct translation from the Play Station version. To make things worse, the version of the game that I bought-which includes the original game and subsequent expansions-contains no instructions. There is card citing a new player help website, but unfortunately, it takes forever to load.

I did a little research online before buying and it seemed that a lot of people like the game. I'm currently trying to figure out how to play and was hoping someone out there could point me in the direction of a good guide. I'd rather not give up yet, but it won't take much more....

Can someone help me enjoy this game?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome to Stratics :)

The PC/PS2/PS3/360 versions all look and act the same. The PS/2 version was first to be released, so you're probably right in that regard. The game is a bit "held back" by the PS2, six years later, because the majority of the players still use the PS2 to play.

My biggest gripe about this game is that you have to go outside the game to get almost any information, or ask a lot of questions in the game. I was lucky when I started playing, because my husband had been playing since the 360 release, so I had a good guide. Well maybe not good, but a guide. ;) But since you don't have that, the first thing I'd do is search for a mentor. Get some basic questions answered. Explore! Die! It's ok! Learn your boundaries.

What server did you choose? What nation? Which job to be your first job? Maybe we can help you get your feet wet here.

A

Antinex

Thanks for the welcome! I'm playing a warrior on the Ifrit server. I named the little tyke Fidelio, in case anyone seeing this plays on that server. I chose San d'Oria as my starting nation.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I'm on Caitsith, so I can't directly help. I worked my lil taru warrior to a whopping 13 so far so I'm not a warrior expert, either. I can help with Sandy areas, though. You will work solo til at least level 9, and that gives you some time to learn how to effectively play your role and use your job abilities for when you join up with others in the Dunes.

First and foremost, make sure you talk to the Temple Knight (NPC with T.K. behind his name) at the gate before you go out hunting and have him cast Signet on you. Signet will make it so you can collect crystals off your prey, will increase your healing ability so you will rest for less time, and allow your tactical points (TP) to remain while resting instead of gradually dwindling away. Signet also gives you Conquest Points when you defeat easy prey or harder monsters in a Conquest area, which as a noob will be just about anywhere you can reach. Once you accumulate enough Conquest Points, buy yourself either the Empress band or the Emperor's band, equip it and use the enchantment for increased Experience Points for a duration. You can also use Conquest Points to obtain gear, weapons and etc. So Signet is very important! See the T.K. before every trip out, even if you already have it, because it wears quickly when you're just starting out. As you do Rank missions, Signet will last longer.

Since you're played WoW, I'm sure you are doing fine finding things to kill and learning what you can and cannot take at your levels as you get them. Once you can handle them, I suggest fighting the Orcs because they drop gear, rank drops, fire crystals. Also funguars (the walking mushrooms) for the sleepshrooms and dark crystals. Keep this stuff either on you or in your mog safe til you can stack them, then sell them on the Auction House to make some gil.

And finally.. change jobs while you're little and try everything out. You said "little tyke" so I'm just assuming you're a Tarutaru. Be sure to give the mage jobs a try. Tarus have less hit points (HP) but they have more magic points (MP) than any other race.

Hope that helps a little bit!

A

Antinex

Thanks for the tips! I've started at it again this morning and it's a little better. I have a USB connector for my PS2 controller that I've just hooked up and it's made the controls much easier.

As for race, I'm actually a Hume. I wanted the balance so I could switch jobs a lot and not have any severe penalties.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's not a bad way to go. I knew I'd be primarily a mage, and Tarus are just so durned cute, so I had to make one. :)

Hope you end up liking the game in the end! Another piece of advice.. talk to the NPCs. The thing that makes this game over others is the storylines and how they all intertwine. That, and doing quests makes you money, saves you money and can get you items.. so you can make money and save money.

J

jamison

I cannot stress how important talking to NPC's is. Many give quests etc that you'd miss otherwise. Everyone has something to say!

T

tanls

Late response, but better late than never. There are many resources online that you can use to find information. Including here. Many guides and information sources can be linked from SE/POL's main website. That's how I found Stratics. Otherwise, you can ask questions here. Before they changed the boards around, there were many help threads alreay there. I guess some of them need to be rebuilt. Might not be a bad idea to start up a beginner's thread. I wrote a VERY simplistic guide for my social shell. Maybe I'll just copy it over here. It will kinda get you started. It doesn't cover the interface or commands because I use a gamepad and other ppl like to use keyboard commands. The main thing to get if you don't have one is a keyboard. You will need one to communicate at any speed with ppl. Typing is the main way of communication within the game.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All that is coming back. The data was recovered and they're working on porting it into this system. So all was not lost!

And great to see you back, Tanls :)

K

Kallios

Some quest are repeatable and can earn you some Gil ( like for exemple the flint stones or the rabbit hides quest )

there is also crafting Guild ( you earn one crystal while signing up to guild ) and you can sign up to every guild

hmm R.K and T.k are very Important like they said

Hmm starting at level 5 exercices yourself at Pulling with provoke because at level 9-10 you will surely be Main Tank, if you wnat you can ask advice in game to people surrounding you