• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New player/first timer

• Thread starter Okami_Shiranui
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
O

Okami_Shiranui

well like the title says im a new player to FFXI. I bought the 08 collection edition so im pretty much set:p Im on Odin server but havent even made a friend yet and all i seem to do is fight creatures (warrior lvl 7) i cant seem to get a hold of synthesizing so i tend to sell ALL my materials lol

anyone here on the odin server who can give me in game help?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome to Stratics!

I'm not on Odin, but I will tell you, I too didn't do any crafting in the beginning. I waited til I had a decent amount of gil and then started. Depending on what you're killing, though, some things could be started at an early level and will sell for more gil (like sheep leather).

You're close to being at a level where you can team up with other adventurers in Valkurn Dunes. Just another level or two and I'd put up my party flag if I were you. :) Odin is the most populated server, I hear, so you shouldn't have a problem finding people to group with, or a mentor to ask questions to. Best of luck!

O

Okami_Shiranui

true it is populated and i find myself helping out the newer players then me but gosh is it hard trying to find someone who knows english and who will take the time to help me

makes me want to switch servers

and im SOOO lost i have to go to like dwady gru or something like that for cid and i have no clue how to get their or where it is

and everyone i ask it in japanese

so if anyone is willin to help me out i would gladly switch LOL

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm at work, and can't remember exactly where, but I think if you go to "help desk" you can search for a mentor. There certainly should be one that speaks English and can help you. I'm a San d'Orian and I don't know anything about Bastok quests, sorry :(

B

Banhammer

Don't forget that we have a newbie guide updated most weeks right here on Stratics. Though, as it says, for a lot of things it's best to ask other players for assistance -- they often know more than any single guide can contain.

O

Onewing

Welcome to Stratics, Okami! :)

The first ten levels are really an adjusting period for new players. It's kind of that orientation period where you can feed your curiosity. Once you get to the point where parties need you, you'll quickly find people you agree with and don't agree with. The former can often become friends (but so can the latter). In the meantime, we're all willing to help you here, so ask any questions you may have. :)

And, by the way, I'm a proud Bastokian Hume myself. To help orient yourself, we've got a webpage devouted to the generic understanding of Bastok and its culture. As for finding Cid, you'll want to go to the Metalworks which can be accessed through the building in the middle of the markets.

T

tanls

As far as I know, none of the "regulars" on this board are on Odin server. Myself, I'm on Pandy, so as far as in game help is concerned, sry. What time and what zone do you usually play? That will actually help determine who might be on. I usually play late PST, so I start off with a bunch of NA players and then kind of switch over to a lot of JP players. I really don't see too many EU players except on weekends. So that is something to take into account. Also, I think Odin might be one of the original servers which would also account for the larger amount of JP there. You could try switching to a different server if your play times are set. Picking some of the more middle of the road servers should get you more English speakers, where as the newest servers may have a larger share of EU players. This is by no means a sure indication of who is where, because server selection used to be random, and populations haven't fluctuated all that much with server migrations I think. I think the majority of "regulars" on this board are on Caitsith, but not sure.

As far as help is concerned though, you are close to Dunes and party stages and that is usually when you start getting all the linkshell invites for social shells. Once you get a linkshell, that's where the majority of your questions will be answered and where you'll get the most of your help from. You can also ask for assistance in party once you start. The more you ask ppl, and try to get help, the better shot of getting a link pearl. Once you get a pearl though, don't stop looking. You might go through a bunch of different shells to find one that meshes with your personality. GL.

O

Okami_Shiranui

awesome thnaks for the info!!

i usually play from 9pm EST to like 6am EST lol

i have alot of time on my hands right now which is a good thing for me.

i wouldnt mind a reccomendation if a server if you dont mind:p

T

tanls

and im SOOO lost i have to go to like dwady gru or something like that for cid and i have no clue how to get their or where it is
I finally figured out what you were asking. You need to go to Dangruf Wadi. To get to the Wadi, You start off in South Gustaberg and head West. Go to the area that is identified as The Fulmoroles (sp?) to the far West. Eventually, you will hit the zone and be in the Wadi. I would suggest that you wait until you get a couple more levels before you go there though. There are many goblins and higher level lizzards there that can kill you pretty quickly. I think you would be safest if you were around level 20ish, I know you can go there earlier to try to get exp and all, but it's been so long since I've been there I don't remember what the mob levels are.

As far as a recommendation for a server is concerned, I've only played on Pandy. I do have a pearl to a low level friendly shell called Reveries, and if you wanted to try it, you could look me up and I'd get you a pearl. The problem is, it is a fairly small social shell with not a lot of members, but the members are great ppl with a fairly good grouping of low level/new ppl. I'm not on that shell very often because my end game shell has many scheduled events and most of my play time is during events. As far as any other servers are concerned, I'll let other ppl answer that.

Looking at your play times, you should have a decent amount of NA and english speakers on when you play, so I'm kinda surprised that you haven't been able to get a lot of help in game. If you're from Bastok, you could stand in the markets zone and toss out a /shout or 2 asking for an english speaking low level linkshell and you'd probably get a couple offers. That would be the easiest way of finding help in game without having to switch servers.

T

tanls

OBTW, since you are just starting off, I wouldn't worry about crafting or anything like that. I'd just sell as much stuff as i could to make gil. One of the things about this game you'll discover is that gil is NOT easy to come by. You will need LOTS of it. Your main costs will go towards upgrading your gear. At low levels, I would suggest getting as much stuff from NPCs as you can and sell stuff on the AH. You will usually get more gil selling on the AH than you will selling to NPCs. Crafting can be extremely expensive, especially because you won't much gil off the lower level synths. Get a job or 2 to a decent level where you can farm more ingredients to offset the cost of synthing and crafting will become much more cost effective and become a source of gil for you instead of an expense.

I think that right now, selling a stack of earth crystals for 1k would benefit you more than using those crystals to synth items. You basically want to sell all your drops right now to fund your gear upgrades. Especially when you get to the dunes levels. You'll want to have all the gear you'll need to get to level 20 because it's a LONG walk back to Bastok to buy a new axe.

O

Okami_Shiranui

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tanls you rock!! yea i tried shouting and stuff but the most help i got from people was when i went out and got help from some guy seeing me healing me and casting protect and such on me then take off

i tried waving and some guy i asked for help said go away LOL. so yea i know some aftered to help and say i'll be on in an hour to help but then they never come back and i forget their names plus, my friend requests get denied lol.

Random:sometime i see the same person standing in the SAME EXACT SPOT Faithlouse has been in the same spot for the past four nights its like....wow:random

but thanks for the advice i been selling to the NPCs and not the auction house
i tried going in the direction you told me i couldnt even make it all the way without getting seriously injured.

i took all the info you stated and engraved it to my mind lol im lvl eight and looks like i should work on farmin the crystals and selling w/e to the auction house

and i might take u up on that offer if i go to your server

T

tanls

No prob. Glad to help. One of the things you need to know is that the farther away you go from the cities, the harder the mobs usually get. That's why most low level parties start in the Dunes. Once you hit lvl 20, you start to party around the city of Jeuno, and at lvl 50, most ppl now go on to Aht Urghan Whitegate.

The person standing in the exact same spot, does he/she have a little bag by the name? PPL will do that to be afk (away from keyboard) and set up a bazzar. You can check them and be able to buy items from them. Many ppl who craft will do this and some ppl make up mules (secondary characters) to sell items on. This is a 3rd source of getting stuff from besides NPCs and the AH.

As far as the ppl who run by and give you buffs, most healers will do it for kicks. Also, at lower levels, they might get magic skill ups for doing so. When I'm on job that can do things like that (WHM, PLD, RDM usually) I'll do the same thing. Toss a couple cures and buffs and keep running to where I was going. Most ppl who seem to do this though usually main WHM. There seems to be a different mentality to ppl who main WHM and after you've played a bit, you can tell.

I think there might be a limit to how many friends you can have on your friendslist. I've never turned down a request, and it's sometimes funny how someone will pop up that I haven't seen or talked to in awhile. I usually purge my list after a while though. Everyone I haven't talked to or seen in a while I usually end up deleting. I think I only have like 6 or so ppl on my list right now.

Most of the ppl I talk to or hang with are part of my linkshells anyways, so there really isn't a need to keep them on my Flist. Like I said though, if you do decide to jump servers, I'll get you a pearl to Reveriesclan. We used to recruit a lot of new ppl who needed some of the lower missions or quests done and couldn't get help from their main social LS.

O

Okami_Shiranui

you make the game sound sooo interesting LOL make me wanna play it right now tho i cant cuz i gotta get to my barber and get a trim

but thanks alot ima definetly switch to a diff server later on...what server your in what it pandy? is that short for pandemonium? (SP) or is it actually pandy lol

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you make the game sound sooo interesting LOL make me wanna play it right now tho i cant cuz i gotta get to my barber and get a trim

but thanks alot ima definetly switch to a diff server later on...what server your in what it pandy? is that short for pandemonium? (SP) or is it actually pandy lol
Yeah he's in Pandemonium. I'm in Caitsith. Have fun!

T

tanls

Yeah, I play on Pandy and yeah, it's short for Pandemonium lol. I do like the game. I've been playing for over 2 years now and there's still things in the game that I haven't even gotten close to doing yet. I've touched bits and pieces, but there's whole facets of the game I haven't done yet. My highest level crafting is lvl 30 cooking, and I've yet to raise a chocobo. So there's still a lot for me to do in the game.

O

Okami_Shiranui

when i saw the chocobos i was like EPIC I WANT ONE! lol

T

tanls

Once you hit level 18 (or 20 cause I don't remember right now) and complete a quest in Jeuno, you will be able to rent Chocobos. Plus, you have to have a Chocobo license in order to start raising one. The quest takes 6 game days, or 6 rl hours. Plus there's a whole mini game called the Chocobo Hot/Cold game which I haven't tried yet either lol. But once you do get a chocobo, you'll get around MUCH faster than walk/running.

Also, once you hit lvl 18, you can get a sub job. Most of the items to get your SJ you'll get once you get to Valkrum Dunes except for 1 piece which you will usually need higher level help to get.

A suggestion for you would be to solo in South and North Gustaberg until lvl 10/11 and then start moving into Konschat Highlands (sp?) with your party flag up. Change your home point as you move farther from the town so that when you get knocked out (die), you don't have to run back as far to start leveling again. The Highlands are a good place to solo while waiting on a party because it's just the next zone over and it beats just sitting waiting on a party. Plus, if you don't get a party, you can solo easily to the upper teens there.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once you hit level 18 (or 20 cause I don't remember right now)
That would be 20. :)

Plus there's a whole mini game called the Chocobo Hot/Cold game which I haven't tried yet either lol.
I do this every day religiously. Not only can you dig up cool stuff for free and get chocobucks for future racing, but you also earn digging skillups which, when you're ready to spend the money to dig, will help you get better stuff without the game. I also dig the chocobo racing. Though this new pashhow circuit is making me angry. I can't beat that stupid sheep in teh first race >.<

O

Okami_Shiranui

awesome! thanks and Hi Trish i do not believe i had the chance to say hi to your earlier post! sorry about that so, HI!!!! LOL

Chocobo raising sounds leike major fun cant wait to try it when i get the chance

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really enjoy it. I enjoy the mini-things to do in FFXI more than I enjoy the partying, though. Your mileage may vary :)

T

tanls

So far, because of my limited play times, All I've been able to do is LS events and missions. I haven't had a chance to really do anything else. I really need to get more of a buffer on my WHM (dynamis Bastok tonight lol) and I'm just a short 3 levels to getting my PLD to 75. Of course, my PLD as been in the 70's for MONTHs now, and spent over a year in the 60's lol. Not to mention all the SJs I still need to level. Plus, thinking about the next job that's going to hit 75. It's between RDM and SAM right now. Might change.

I guess the point to all this is that there's just so much to do in this game, and a lot of it is and can be outside the whole party/leveling grind too. Personally, I like partying, which is why my 2 mains are party jobs WHM and PLD.

B

Banhammer

Plus, thinking about the next job that's going to hit 75. It's between RDM and SAM right now.
Well, I know the RDM Nyzul weapon is pure delicious (assuming you ever get it), pretty fun job too. SAM's really best as a post-50 subjob for other DD jobs in my experience, but like all jobs, if you enjoy it it's worth taking to 75.

T

tanls

Mainly looking at a meritpo type job. I haven't really mained an out and out DD job yet, so SAM seemed like it would be pretty cool. I seem to be cure bombing and raising them more often than any other job (including the tanks). So I figured that it might be fun and totally different from my other jobs.

RDM is just an awesome job to try to solo things with. I've leveled it to 40 already and specifically to sub for PLD so I could solo PLD/RDM, but I've been thinking about taking it to 75 for meritpos (cause it's almost impossible to get a meritpo as WHM or PLD) and to solo stuff as RDM/NIN. I've already got NIN to 37 and my last mission run for Sandy paid for the Utsu:NI scroll.

As it is right now, I play mostly WHM end game and PLD situationally. I think I'd have more options with a couple more jobs, but I'm not really into leveling WAR higher than it is already (40) and my end game shell has BLMs out the wahzoo.

O

Okami_Shiranui

havent been able to switch but i made my choice pandy it is!

so i will switch very soon :p so then i'll post here so i can hit you up or you hit me up

T

tanls

Sure no problem.

If you haven't really gotten all that high up in level, and you are willing to start over again, it might be better to just start over from the beginning instead of trying to server jump. Server jumping will cost you real money, where as restarting won't cost you anything extra except some levels that you can get back real quick.

If you haven't done so already, you need to make sure you get signet before going out to exp. This will get you CP points and other benefits. Once you get 1000 CPs you can buy an emp band. Empress or Emperor band. These will give you a bonus to your Exp. Also, you should be able to get an Anniversary band too. This will also give you a bonus. These 2 things will help you level faster. Also, SE is supposed to come out with some modifications to make it easier for lower level ppl to level up.

OBTW, I'll probably start leveling up my DRK to 10 and I should be flagging Sam soon too, so I'll be hanging out in the low level areas for a bit. This is once I finish my rank missions. Hopefully will be soon.

O

Okami_Shiranui

awesome its 6 pm EST where im at i should be doing everything around 9 est so i will let you kno after that:thumbsup:

T

tanls

I was on yesterday for a good long time because I was home sick from work. I logged right around 1AM EST. I should be back on tonight. I still need to finish my last mission. On 9-2.

M

Mooge

Okay, I got a question. In Bastok, every single day when I'm at the square (with the big fountain structure thing) people are always standing in a crowd and one person is fighting this really tall guy named "Ullegore". What the hell is this for :confused: ? He looks like he's the Grim Reaper. He has a big black hooded cloak and I think he has a scythe.

T

tanls

Okay, I got a question. In Bastok, every single day when I'm at the square (with the big fountain structure thing) people are always standing in a crowd and one person is fighting this really tall guy named "Ullegore". What the hell is this for :confused: ? He looks like he's the Grim Reaper. He has a big black hooded cloak and I think he has a scythe.
Ahh...Welcome to the festival scene. SE pops on with these mini quest, festival thingies. These are all mini games and you can get items and such from them. This particular one is the Sunbreeze Festival. You can read more about it at this link. http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/topics/read/mumor/index.html. I'm pretty sure there's a link here on this site too, but I couldn't find it.

M

Mooge

Aha, so that's why there are fireworks. I just thought it was something that Bastok did each night. How do I cheer her on?

T

tanls

First you have to talk to the event moogle. Then you target her and /cheer or /clap. The more you help her, the more she will do special attacks. When she goes to attack, you need to do the same dance as she does and you will get rewards for that. There is a pretty decent guide here. http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Sunbreeze_Festival_2008/Guide. The festival only lasts for another 5 days or so.