• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEW PLANTS in FIRE Color??? --> Dev Response Please??

D

DHMagicMan_1

Since EA/Mythic (mostly EA) hasn't planned or funded any Plant system upgrades since the original main release except for Bonsai (which I discount as "throw away") and the Naturalist Quest which I still do and enjoy the seeds from... I don't think we'll be missing much if they decide to pay less attention to gardening from now on.

That's like saying I'm going to donate less to the KKK (me as a person, not EA)... I don't donate to them so me donating less won't make the KKK see any budget cuts or changes to the way they behave.

F

Flora Green

It's alright, Ni. You, Tomas and all the rest of us are simply stating your opinions. No harm done. :) Unfortunately the thread is taking a bad turn again so I'm going to bow out and go pay my vendors.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry, but I completely disagree. I've grown over 600 of the new plants (and I completely sold out of them on my vender at Yew/Tram gate), I love the way they are being done. And my wife has done one hell of a job decorating with them at our castle (I'll post pics when she's done).

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I resent the people on this forum that sit here and say 'well you don't understand what it means to be a gardener in UO' to the dev, like you are the end all, be all, and YOU know what it is about. You need to check yourself.

I have 1 house dedicated to growing plants. A 16x18, south of Skara Brae near the coast. My wife and I grow plants, hundreds at a time. We also do peerless (over 7000 Mel runs between us, 2 crimsons). I also turn in a couple hundred BoDs a week, and do some PVM.

This has only added to our enjoyment of the game. I love the way it's set up and I look forward to similar things in the future.

I am sorry that your only enjoyment is when it's hand delievered to you. Why don't you go play WoW, there everything is handed to you.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Me like plant, grow fastum, no chartum, purty colors. Great for boils growing on my arse from lots of slow growum.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too believe it will be easy to get the seed without hunting them yourself.

I know alot who rather pay 300 or more for orange petals and green thorns than grow themself.

I think even if we should have to pay around 500 each seed, the plants will sell for 5-20k depending of the type.

All in all I find it to be a very nice plant system.
I can't keep orange petals in stock. With the traveling I've done recently and the new plants, I haven't grown any recently. I am down to about 1100 in my personal stock.

The new plants sold completely out, with pricing between 10-20k. I am starting up another batch across 2 houses.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, that's your personal opinion. People who don't like the bright colors don't have to wear or decorate with it. The choice should be there for those who do like it and people do buy the colored plants.
Unfortunately, we are in a mmorpg and whether you choose to lock down an unnatural all yellow (or other color of choice) plants in your house or not, you are bound to run into them sooner or later. So, yes it does affect everyone. Glacial plants sounds like a blasphemy on the same level as crystal housing tiles!

They need to get plants which have green/brown/natural colored stem and different hued flowers/leaves!! I am pretty sure that this has been a long standing request amongst majority of the populace.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We didn't HAVE to throw in anything. Since I was doing the cocoa trees (that we had promised a few months back), I decided to add a few more plants while at it. This has already been answered before, and in the FOF, there was no time planned in the schedule for gardening. What you would like to see would take way more time than what our very busy schedule currently allows.
You're right. You didn't have to put ANYTHING at all in. My question would be this: Why bother putting in a substandard system instead of putting in a vibrant rich system?

Why make the decision to keep the new plants from having colors, where clearly there ARE people who not only enjoy the colors, but also use them regularly. I mean, basically, you've decided, "Well, I don't like the colors, so tough."

Extremely considering that would not do what you were hoping for. Again, as stated in the FOF, it's not just a matter of copy pasting and tweaking a few numbers.
Actually, I find that extremely difficult to believe. At very least, you had a solid code-base to begin working from. Now, if it's as poorly documented as I suspect most legacy UO code is, perhaps it would have been difficult to work from, but I don't believe for a minute that you didn't have a beginning system that you could have worked from.

You say just tweaking a few numbers wouldn't have worked, and I'll be honest with you, that's a very scary state for UO's codebase to be in. There should be some sort of consistency to the code base, and frankly, I can't think of a coding language where I couldn't take a function or a codeset, make a copy of it, and modify it to do something else that is basically the same thing but producing slightly different results.

As you appropriately put in bold it WAS a design decision not to allow the new plants to produce seeds. And I stand by that decision, even more now in view of the general reaction to the new plants. Some players have individually grown over 200 plants in the first week. By the time the plants stop producing seeds, each of these players will have in excess of 1600 seeds sitting on their plants to be harvested whenever. Why even bother hunting for the seeds anymore?
It's an interesting question, and to answer it, I'll simply respond with "Given your implementation of the system, there would be no reason to." Which is to say, you decided cross-polination was not something to put into the system, and so there's no reason to have any base seeds.

I think you'll find that most people in the current gardening system don't bother growing their base seeds, but instead worry about the higher-up plants.

I think you'll ALSO find that much like every other gardening system, once the shine and polish has worn off, it's only going to be the gardeners even growing the things, and you've simply made a design decision to make things more difficult for very little return.
To this, some of you will reply "I'm a crafter, I shouldn't have to hunt for this". And again I disagree. Don't you have to hunt to get barbed leather? Peerless ingredients? Serpent & dragon scales? Bones? Why shouldn't gardeners also have a portion of the plants they can produce require a certain amount of hunting? My scribe cannot pump out a billion scrappers a day because I need to do peerless bosses and hope they will drop the ingredients I'm missing. Or I can just go buy them from someone else and hope the scrappers I make will have the mods I needed so I can resell for a profit instead of a loss. It's part of the risk any merchant needs to deal with.
So, uh... decoration is the equivalent of providing weaponry and spellbooks?

So gods forbid something exist in UO that didn't require combat to perform? I mean, let's go with a comparable example if we're going to get silly, and I realize that in the process, you'll probably go code something just to get your point across, but if I decide to be a tailor, I can go to the Yew farms, sheer some sheep, go turn that into yarn, and then full-blown bolts of cloth. That cloth then becomes clothing, and voila.

I can also get BODs without ever setting foot into danger -- maybe I sell leather BODs and keep only the cloth ones.

But the point remains that I can be a self-sufficient tailor without ever setting foot into a dungeon.

Now, I'll throw one back in your direction, Regine...

What other component of the game requires you to watch over and tend to something consistently and continuously for a seven day period?

See, in your hurry to keep danger involved in the game, I think you've forgotten the fact that the gardening subgame is already complex and requires a great deal of time commitment.

To use your Scrapper's example, does it take you seven days to create one? If your answer is, "It could, depending on how fast I gather the components," then you've only succeeded in showing that the two activities can be equally time consuming.
I understand some of you are not pleased with this decision, but it will not change. The peculiar seeds WILL NOT produce seeds.
Nothing like taking the, "I'm the developer who did this, and my word is final" stance on it. It's good to know you're open to improving a weak system that was rushed into the game with more of a "Here's a bone we can throw" rather than "Hey, I know gardeners would like something new, let's see how I can at least give them a second system that's as equally robust as the first."

It's a shame, Regine, that you had an opportunity to put something truly expansive into the game, and you chose to put the minimal investment into making it passable. I know this comes off as thankless, but frankly, my design and release process for my job has always been one of, "Even if it's something you're putting in on the side that no one asked you to do, you do it fully, completely, and you anticipate what people will expect it to do." And if that doesn't happen in delivery, you gather feedback, and you adjust the system to make it better.

Now, I design web-based training and ordering systems for my company, so that may not seem like much, but I assure you, I spend a lot of my time catering to my userbase because ultimately it is they who use and enjoy it.

I challenge you to sit back and look at your own decisions objectively, and to reconsider your decisions on the many levels that you made them. It's very easy to say, "Of course my decisions were right." But look at what already existed before you implemented this system, look at community expectations since the original gardening system was initially implemented, and then ask yourself a single, powerful question:

"Is what I delivered at least as fleshed out as the original gardening system?"

Any answer short of "yes" means you should sit down and see how you can adapt this "new" system to be at least as vibrant as the old.

Now, I understand you are all immensely busy with other stuff, but frankly, there should ALWAYS be time to implement some of the interesting stuff to keep the game moving forward while the longer term stuff is in development.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am sorry you would have preferred not to get the plants altogether if you couldn't get them in color. But this was not just my personal preference and despite what you may think, we definitely take player feedback into consideration whenever making a decision. But keep in mind that as disheartened as you may be that you didn't get the options you wanted, others would have felt just as ignored had we gone the way you wished.
Uh, really? There's something in the gardening system that would have FORCED people to grow colors they didn't want to grow?

Regine, anyone here already knows why they didn't spawn in colors. Because the base system drops four seed colors: red, blue, yellow, plain. In order to get ANY of the other colors, including vibrant colors, you have to be able to cross polinate, and you already decided cross polination wasn't going in.

If you expect me to believe that the reason for not allowing the various plant colors is because there's a large section of the playerbase saying, "You know, I really can't stand that my neighbor decorates with hideous orange plants," you're really not going to convince me. And I'd further say that sometimes you should take into account the focus of the system, not the entire playerbase, when making a decision. For instance, the number of people on any given shard that can actually fish up ancient SOSes is very few -- what if most players said, "Give no more to fishing, it's a wasted side skill anyway"? Would that have been good enough not to implement the SOS system at all?
It's not that I do not get where you're coming from, it's just not the direction we want to go with this set of plants.
I seriously question that statement. And I seriously question the decision to be hardline in a poor decision.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would not want the cypress tree in all this colors, nor the henge, it sounds really scary to me.
Then, quite frankly, don't grow them. My simple question would be, "Why rob everyone of the choice to have plants in colors simply because some people wouldn't want to have them?"

This game is ALL about choice and customization. This new gardening system gives you only basic choice and robs you of any customization that the previous system allowed for.

J

Jeremy

You say just tweaking a few numbers wouldn't have worked, and I'll be honest with you, that's a very scary state for UO's codebase to be in. There should be some sort of consistency to the code base, and frankly, I can't think of a coding language where I couldn't take a function or a codeset, make a copy of it, and modify it to do something else that is basically the same thing but producing slightly different results.
You haven't seen Wombat... *shudder*

Regine's not exaggerating - there are quite a few systems that are so complex and have so many interrelated bits of code all over the scripts and the server code that changing them requires filing a flight plan and filling out a next-of-kin form. Gardening is, unfortunately, one of those systems.

The other point is, of course, that this isn't something we have the resources to throw at right now - resources being more QA, art time, and probably an engineer. The system may well get more love in the future, but right now, all we were able to get in was a small expansion of some of the available deco plants. Take it for whatever you feel it's worth - like all of UO, you can participate or not in that aspect of that system.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow closing accounts over some silly plants? LMAO Can I have your stuff even your silly little plants and or seeds?
Take your favorite system in the game.

Add something to it, and do it half-baked.

Ask yourself if you would keep extra accounts open after it's clear that your particular subset of the game is not an important one to the Devs.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Flora Green (who isn't quitting the game, simply reducing accounts to show EA/Mythic that she doesn't support their design decision -- you know, Mark Jacobs' only measure of whether or not players are happy with stuff) enjoys gardening. Let's call it "I wonder if her name makes it obvious" syndrome.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regine clearly has a great deal of input on the plant system, but like any other system in-game, it's never just on one person's shoulders. Lighten up, please.
With respect, it was she who made public that many of the decisions involved were HER decisions. Now it's being touted as "Well, mine and others too," but many of the questioned decisions were originally touted as hers.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately, we are in a mmorpg and whether you choose to lock down an unnatural all yellow (or other color of choice) plants in your house or not, you are bound to run into them sooner or later. So, yes it does affect everyone. Glacial plants sounds like a blasphemy on the same level as crystal housing tiles!
With that kind of argument, we should remove dye tubs and limit the palet of clothing options to a few, very select options. I think many of us forget that choice in things is what this game has ALWAYS provided, and I would argue that at this point, is the ONLY reason this game continues to survive. Because UO provides things that other games do not.

And while I respect that you find the gardening system easier on a more casual level, I would argue too that it's not difficult for anyone to grow baseline plants. Much like it's not difficult for just about anyone to kill a headless or a mongbat. But like other systems, there is a degree of difficulty that is increased as you get deeper into the system. The new gardening system lacks a degree of difficulty, relies solely on random chance, and is not as full as the original system.

Again, perhaps there are some people happy with that.

I strongly suspect that most people are simply happy to see something new. And you know what? So am I. I am simply disappointed that it was not bourn to full potential or at least equal potential, and instead some poor decisions were made regarding -- at the very least -- the color aspect of the subgame. The fact that some strange bug exists that produces fire plants is proof enough that there are people both interested in and wanting colored plants.

With respect, just because some people think they look bad is NOT a valid reason in the context of UO for discluding them. People like different things. Having options is what it's all about.

They need to get plants which have green/brown/natural colored stem and different hued flowers/leaves!! I am pretty sure that this has been a long standing request amongst majority of the populace.
It seems no one at EA/Mythic has ever been able to figure out how chairs and beds were made to hue only certain portions of the item. Worse, many items are being constructed these days in full color, which is why things like the elven robe and many of the Tokuno clothes look hideous when hued.

J

Jeremy

RaDian, 6 of the last 7 posts have been yours. It might be time to take a walk, cool down some.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You haven't seen Wombat... *shudder*

Regine's not exaggerating - there are quite a few systems that are so complex and have so many interrelated bits of code all over the scripts and the server code that changing them requires filing a flight plan and filling out a next-of-kin form. Gardening is, unfortunately, one of those systems.
I understand that there would be multiple areas of code. But, to be frank, shouldn't they all be documented as to what is connected to what, and how they are related to and correlate with each other?
The other point is, of course, that this isn't something we have the resources to throw at right now - resources being more QA, art time, and probably an engineer. The system may well get more love in the future, but right now, all we were able to get in was a small expansion of some of the available deco plants.
But, Jeremy, no disrespect intended, isn't this always the case with UO these days? This is the primary reason we continue to get half-baked systems, and in fact, a half-baked KR client. Because, frankly, UO is understaffed and doesn't have enough people to see complete projects to fruition?

Yeah, to do it correctly would require QA time, art time, and perhaps an engineer. Why is that so difficult to get across the board? And, not to put too fine a point on it, but I question the effectiveness of QA at times when huge, HUGE bugs manage to make it all the way through QA, Test Center, Origin to production shards -- but I digress, and flying off on this tangent is a whole different issue.

I just question why systems are put in that are contrary to the game character of UO.

Or should I simply take it to mean "UO's days of truly immersive game systems are long gone?"

I guess since we've never seen dungeon design on par with Khaldun since it was opened that I already have the answer to my question.
Take it for whatever you feel it's worth - like all of UO, you can participate or not in that aspect of that system.
I see Mark Jacobs does actually have some influence in UO.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RaDian, 6 of the last 7 posts have been yours. It might be time to take a walk, cool down some.
Thanks, Jeremy. Did it cross your mind that I've been away from the boards for a few days, and that I'm simply responding to things as I read through them?

I don't think I've been disrespectful in my posts, so unless I've crossed some line that you think is horribly inappropriate, I'll be frank: Don't worry about the quantity of my posts.

[EDIT] And just what in my posts gives you the idea that I'm in need of cooling down? I'll tell you what I tell everyone else who thinks that the length of my posts are some indication of the amount of excitement I'm putting into them. I type at about 175 wpm, and am capable of expressing myself much as if I were having a conversation (which is why those who know me can read my very facial expressions -- not saying you know me or can tell all of my facial expressions, just explaining the level of detail). My ability to type a few paragraphs more than most people in the same amount of time doesn't make me overly excited.

M

MYUO

Acutally, now days it is hard to find players who put up this much of effort in UO. I would rather see more of them than having players who shrug off and say "whatever".

Passion is priceless, especially for a game like UO. Although I am not really into gardening and didn't read all of Radian's posts, I cant tell that he/she cares. To me that is quite valuable. As for the details of his/her posts, well, they may be frustrating for dev to read but, hey, one can always read a bit "faster" or "slower", depending on the preference

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I would not want the cypress tree in all this colors, nor the henge, it sounds really scary to me.
Then, quite frankly, don't grow them. My simple question would be, "Why rob everyone of the choice to have plants in colors simply because some people wouldn't want to have them?"

This game is ALL about choice and customization. This new gardening system gives you only basic choice and robs you of any customization that the previous system allowed for.
First, I don't want to see houses with this new plants in all the old colors, we have enough ugly houses already with water walls and cubes without windows. I don't want to purple henges and blue trees too.

The new gardering system gives us something new, it do not rob anything from the old system, the old system did not changes.

I love the new system much more than the old one, I love the facts that you have to hunt seed to grow the plants.

The old system was fun a while, now I only grow plain plants and the few resource plants. When gathering the resourses and maybe a few seed, I will just emty the pot and plant a new seed, I have no use for this colored plants, most of them are ugly, special in 2D.

I got something I love and you still have your beloving old system :danceb:

And I don't like your attitude, I find you rude

D

Deb

Since this thread has seriously been a S and R thread why is is still
open or not moved to the appropriate forum.
I love gardenening as much as the next person( I have over 375 plants
growing) but geez people, lighten up. I think the system is
just fine.
There are definitely bigger and better things for you all to complain about.
As for Regine a huge Thank You and please do not let all this negativiity
prevent any future gardening items.
A huge hug to all of you and now I will move on out of this thread:hug::hug:

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First, I don't want to see houses with this new plants in all the old colors, we have enough ugly houses already with water walls and cubes without windows. I don't want to purple henges and blue trees too.
The fact that some people design better houses, gardens, armor sets, clothing combinations, et cetera than others has been a problem that has plagued UO since the very first dye tub was introduced into the game allowing two different people to choose the color combinations they wanted to wear. Some people choose garish, horrid combinations, some people choose visually appealing combinations. Those are personal choices, and while they may make you want to mock them, they do not personally affect you. I have a hideous house in existence right in front of my own house, and while it has caused me to mock said house's owner, it's affected my gameplay none. I also mock those with fire hair if given a chance, but it doesn't rob my gameplay.
The new gardering system gives us something new, it do not rob anything from the old system, the old system did not changes.

I love the new system much more than the old one, I love the facts that you have to hunt seed to grow the plants.

The old system was fun a while, now I only grow plain plants and the few resource plants. When gathering the resourses and maybe a few seed, I will just emty the pot and plant a new seed, I have no use for this colored plants, most of them are ugly, special in 2D.
Okay, that's great... honestly, the new gardening system doesn't offer anything that the old system didn't already offer except that you don't have to cross-pollenate for your generations (ie: different plant styles). I understand why the casual gamer would find that good, but for those who look to gardening as a gameplay style (and there are those that do so), it's a flat version of a much more intricate system.
I got something I love and you still have your beloving old system :danceb:
Ah, but the irony here is, I really don't do much by the way of gardening at all. In fact, if I were to be completely forward about it, I have a lot more to gain by the new system than the old simply because I'll have random chance over cross-pollenation on my side.

That doesn't change my opinion on the new gardening system. I think it's shallow by comparison.
And I don't like your attitude, I find you rude
Yes, well, I'm definitely not attempting to win a popularity poll here. I guess standing up for in-depth, detailed systems that are rich and vibrant in content is a silly thing to do. *shrug* It's something I do though. Even aspects of the game that I don't actively participate in I believe should be rich, vibrant, and meet full potential.

Of course, I also think that not everything in the game should be soloable, so I'm probably an elitist snob. *shrug*

I stand by my opinions on the matter. If that somehow makes me rude, I can live with that.

F

Flora Green

That's merely personal preference. I once had a neighbor IRL with a cornflower blue house. It was hideous. But, it wasn't my place to tell him what to do with his property. And as an interior designer I assure you I cringe when I see some homes inside and out. :)

My perspective on the lack of color isn't from a personal standpoint at all. I'm not even upset over it. I approach it from a merchant's POV. I can deco for fall/Halloween just fine with the existing plants in shades of black, orange and fire. The cypress trees will look great for a spooky effect. :D

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
That's merely personal preference. I once had a neighbor IRL with a cornflower blue house. It was hideous. But, it wasn't my place to tell him what to do with his property. And as an interior designer I assure you I cringe when I see some homes inside and out. :)

My perspective on the lack of color isn't from a personal standpoint at all. I'm not even upset over it. I approach it from a merchant's POV. I can deco for fall/Halloween just fine with the existing plants in shades of black, orange and fire. The cypress trees will look great for a spooky effect. :D
I would like to see all the new plants added to the solen quests where the fire cactus is from.

However I would like them to get this colors instead: Fire, Ice white, bloodred and black like burned.

F

Flora Green

There are definitely bigger and better things for you all to complain about.
Subjective. You are assigning your view to others. You might as well tell tamers that their request for more stable slots is more important than weapons balance. Or that thieves being neglected is less important than a stone engraving tool. In actuality I agree with you that there are more important issues with UO even though the main, and nearly only thing I do now, is garden. However, it is not for you (or me) to decide what is more valuable to some players than others.

As for the negativity affecting gardening later on. That wouldn't make them very professional would it to harbor a grudge over some discord? I would be willing to bet that if someone had bothered to engage the players in a discussion prior to 55 going live that things would be much calmer. The garden system may have been implemented EXACTY as it is now, but communication about change and explanations (real explanations, not half answers) as to why might have gone a long way.

I can understand them not announcing a change related to duping. But, all anyone had to do was post what Jeremy did above (thanks btw for that Jeremy) and maybe take a little time to interact with the gardeners. Some minds may have changed, others not, but a good number of people may have been appeased and more accepting. :)

I love the new plants and think it's a good mix that Regine chose. The hedges have long been asked for, juniper bush was one of the planned plants from gen 5 and cypress trees (my personal fave) are very cool. The addition of hops and sugar cane as possible resource producers later on is exciting. :D

F

Flora Green

I was thinking along the same lines regarding the Solen quest, Freja. It would be a solution to the missing black and white plants without worrying about cross-pollination. I hadnt thought of bloodred!

D

DHMagicMan_1

I'm somewhat calmer and less angry today than previous posts but I'm still very discouraged overall by this implementation.

When Pub 55 was announced they had a bunch of new Vet rewards, some with random pieces and there was a lot of loud feedback saying "We want to be able to choose, why would we waste a reward pick for a random gift" and Jeremy came back and said that they are revisiting. There's still no promises. No definate timeline for when they may revisit the implementation. But clearly they heard some of the "fans" and said to themselves, "wait a minute, what they're asking for might make sense, lets take another look".

When the feedback after the FoF about the new plants came out, gardeners were already asking the dev team for clarifaction on why choices were made. If it could work the "other way". We tried for weeks to get interaction and got nothing. When the feedback after 55 got released got angry enough we got "of course we listen to feedback, but I did it this way and it's not going to change" (paraphrasing)

That's not, IMHO, a reasonable answer in a MMO. That's a reasonable answer from the IRS or someone who doesn't care whether I live or die, but not from someone who is "listening" to me.

Anyway, whatever the new plants are, they are. I'm over them. So what if no one hunts boglings. Somehow the "Original" plant system is still thriving. In six months we'll see how many people are still farming to try to get our new set of plants.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I was thinking along the same lines regarding the Solen quest, Freja. It would be a solution to the missing black and white plants without worrying about cross-pollination. I hadnt thought of bloodred!
My idea to blood red came from red beech leaves, that would fit the henge fine, also at the fall, we have some red and yellow leaves so a mix of fire red and bloodred plants could be used for a fall tema.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's not, IMHO, a reasonable answer in a MMO. That's a reasonable answer from the IRS or someone who doesn't care whether I live or die, but not from someone who is "listening" to me.
Well, and I guess the issue I've got with the current gardening implementation is that the gardening bar was already set pretty high. The previous system (the main system) is a very vibrant system. To introduce new plants completely independent of the system, and honestly, completely independent of any system other than the growth system, just doesn't feel right.

It's like, okay, here's the baseline system. We're going to deliver something under that expectation.

It was semi understandable with bonsai (though, if you ask me, they missed out on doing some great things with bonsai too, but I can understand the limitation there). But with a new set of plants, it just doesn't ring proper to me.

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My idea to blood red came from red beech leaves, that would fit the henge fine, also at the fall, we have some red and yellow leaves so a mix of fire red and bloodred plants could be used for a fall tema.
What's (obviously) happening now is that the 4 barrel cactus thinks it's an old plant, thus it's allowing itself to be tended while locked down and showing up in the seed quest. So when Sakkarah (hopefully gets to!) fix the other new plants, they too will probably start showing up in the seed quest seeds. I imagine to seperate them, new plants from old, would take a bit of work, so instead how about doing this...

Make all the plants work in the seed quest RNG (by fixing their identity crisis they have now) and then adding in a few colors. Add black* and white* to fire red as rewards for visiting the fifth nest, given randomly. Add in bloodred and perhaps another color or two to the random aqua, pink, purple we have now for doing the regular 4 nests. Gives everyone just a bit of color, including with the new plants, and yet doesn't go to the extent of having to build an entire new set of plant generations or do a lot of work (hopefully!).

*adding black and white as random to the 5th nest reward would allow another way to get old black and white plants without crossing - but the randomness of the whole thing (would be a 1 in 3 chance of getting a particular color and 1 in 33 chance of getting a particular plant) would be so drawn out as to have little impact on the white and black plant market as a whole.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, to me, this illustrates why having the different colored plants is a good thing.

Sure, some of them don't meet with your (or, in some cases, even my) expectations, but if you ask me, dark and light green, dark orange, occasionally dark red, deep blue, light yellow all make for fairly natural plant colors. As for the more fantastic colors, let's not forget we're in an RPG, and that some of that stuff can be used for RPers for a variety of things. Consider some of the gargish plants in their Ilshen city are the teal color.

Point goes back to there's not a lot of options with a single color choice.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*laughs*

I remember the first time I saw a Bonsai, the colored little blob sitting on a brown looking blob, and thinking "cool, when it grows to maturity it might be good". And the shock of realizing it was decorative already LOL
But in all seriousness, these plants are way ahead, a good deal, much better than that bonsai fiasco peeps keep bringing up. Perhaps someday, they will port em over to a more vibrant system, till then, keep collecting the fertile dirt! *grins*

D

DHMagicMan_1

*laughs*

I remember the first time I saw a Bonsai, the colored little blob sitting on a brown looking blob, and thinking "cool, when it grows to maturity it might be good". And the shock of realizing it was decorative already LOL
But in all seriousness, these plants are way ahead, a good deal, much better than that bonsai fiasco peeps keep bringing up. Perhaps someday, they will port em over to a more vibrant system, till then, keep collecting the fertile dirt! *grins*
The comparison to Bonsai is not for the ugly finished art, the art for this set of plants is very well received. The comparison is that you plant, tend for nine days (it blooms on day 7) and deco... there's nothing else to do with it... no seeds, polination, color choices, nothing but plant, grow, deco... that's the "Bonsai" system people don't like vs the "Original" system or "Robust" system or whatever you want to call it where you have LOTS to do and choices to make...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ahhh okay.
I thought it was just because of that fugly little bit of pixel it produced...*laughs*
I'm slow, but I understand. (now)

:p

Kariny

UO Lake Superior News Reporter
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the end all I can say is thanks Regine for what we have now, and I will keep hoping for more in the near future, and not have to wait 4-5 years again for a next generation plants.

After all this CRAP, I'd say that another generation or grouping of plants will probably never happen.

Lily

After reading all this I would say I agree with you Lily. :sad4:

D

DHMagicMan_1

Why on earth would anybody believe after all this time that another generation would EVER happen no matter how these plants had been received anyway?

Aparently there was never anything in the development cycle for this as an upgrade either, it's just something she threw in because it was quick and easy. The last time they intentionally upgraded the "real" plants system was to add the Naturalist quest and it's been dormant ever since.

At this point, the only upgrades I'm expecting to see from Mythic are ones they can put on the outside of boxes to sell more product... not like adding new plants or fixing their new user screens so it stops asking if they want to go to Britain before dumping them in Haven!