• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New pc and UO 2D

P

Pann

Hello, everyone!

We have purchased a new pc with Vista recently, and have been struggling to install UO on this pc. With customer service's help, finally managed to install it, and can actualy log on.

Now here is the problem...
When I try to make macros from Option, as soon as I hit "apply", it gives me this tiny window pop up "fatal". When i click ok, it closes the game. I have no idea how to fix this. If anybody has any clue about this, please let me know. I have searched knowledge base, but nothing seem to come up.

Thanks in advance!

Pann, LS

O

Old Man of UO

Hmm... fatal error. The first thing that comes to mind is a re-install. I hope someone else comes up with a better answer for you, but I have a feeling this is coming. If you have a pretty fast connection, that is what I would do.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of curiosity, what were the problems you were having with the install to begin with and how did customer service help you get it installed?

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't heard of any special installation methods for UO under Vista other than to make sure you are using a user account with admin privileges. The EA support knowledge base also mentions:

Note: If you are running under Vista, we recommend not using Vista's alt-tab functionality, as it could cause some input problems. If you encounter these problems, please restart the game.

That was the only caveat I saw. Like IanJames, I am curious as to what installation problems you initially experienced, and which "customer support" you contacted, and the instructions they gave you to resolve those initial problems. If we have more info we may be able to figure out what is wrong.

-Skylark

P

Pann

Thanks for the reply.

Out of curiosity, what were the problems you were having with the install to begin with and how did customer service help you get it installed?
My first problem was..after I installed the game from old cd T2A, and tried to run a patcher, the pc gives me this message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item". It also didn't want to let me run as admin either. I had all the permission.

After I sent in dxdiag to CS, CS person advised me to upgrade graphic driver and sound driver, and download the client from their site. After this (I haven't changed sound driver yet.), I could install, and could successfully run a pathcer, and run the game. However, this fatal error shows up when I try to make a macro.

I have uninstalled, and reinstalled the game probably several times.. but, it hasn't fixed this problem. I don't know what to do now. :wall:

Pann, LS

O

Old Man of UO

... My first problem was..after I installed the game from old cd T2A, and tried to run a patcher, the pc gives me this message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item". It also didn't want to let me run as admin either. I had all the permission.
I believe the problem with installing from the old T2A CD is that the patch servers have changed. Installing from the most recent file is best, either from UOStratics link or UOHerald. But, I have no idea why you are getting the fatal error.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does it crash if you don't change the macros, but just 'log out' to get back to the log in screen?

P

Pann

Does it crash if you don't change the macros, but just 'log out' to get back to the log in screen?
I can play fine IF I don't change anything in Option.
Even just changing "the char to always run", It gives me this fatal error.

As long as I stay away from Option, I can play without crashing.. but, you know playing uo without macro is very painful. :/

Pann, LS

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm wondering if you log in, open the paperdoll, and log out using the button on the paperdoll, if you will crash. It sounds like any time it tries to write anything to your character's profile it crashes, and it should write on a log out as well.

Try browsing to your Documents folder and giving "Full" permission on your UO folder to "Everyone".

Not the most efficient way of doing it, but probably the simplest.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to rule out the possibilities,

Go to your "My documents\EA Games" folder. Check the permissions. Try to create a new folder and a new file and see if it works. Then try to change the name of the file and the folder and see if that works. If not, you may have removed rights to the "My documents\EA Games" folder.

Failing that, pause your firewall/antivirus program and try UO again.

Weirder things to try:

Any special characters (like spaces) in your character name?

Try logging on with a char with a simple name and see if happens.

Also check when you login that you don't have trailing spaces behind your account name.

Z

Zyphin

Just so you know, i am having the same issue. I've reinstalled kagillions of times and tried everything i could think of. I too installed from disc first and now have downloaded the client of the website. Can play the game just fine as long as i dont want circle of transparency and all the godly goodness of macros. I am going to try setting my options up on a different computer and copy pasting them into the file on this comp. I'll let you know how it goes. Post up if you find something also... PLEASE!!!

Dave

O

Old Man of UO

Here's a long shot. I had an issue with User Account Control in Vista - it locked all my folders and would not let me manually change certain (meaning most) files. Try disabling that:

Search or open from Control Panel - User Accounts
Click on "Turn User Account Control on or off"

Make sure you are turning it off.

Z

Zyphin

That didn't work... thanks for the attempt to help btw.

there must be a way to wipe all the data from the CD installs and start fresh with the web site install. I uninstalled and deleted all the folders... what else is there?

O

Old Man of UO

That didn't work... thanks for the attempt to help btw.

there must be a way to wipe all the data from the CD installs and start fresh with the web site install. I uninstalled and deleted all the folders... what else is there?
The only other thing to do is a Registry clean and defrag. But beware doing this if you've never done that before. You need to make a backup of the Registry first, and be sure you can recover the back up (not all Registry backup programs work with Vista).

However, I do not think this is your problem (even though it's possible), else I don't think the client would start at all.

Z

Zyphin

Holy crap, that's a bit over my head... ill just deal with this stupidness..... sux