• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] New Mod Targets Nearest Lobster Trap

LowdownandShifty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I just completed a mod that helps fishers pickup their nearest lobster trap. This mod leverages Pinco's UI; so you must have that installed first.

How it works:
UO:EC builds a table of itemsIds each time the player presses Ctrl+Shift. This mod searches the table for lobster traps, calculates the distance to each, and activates the nearest trap as the current target. It's designed to be used in a macro immediately before a "Use Targeted Object"
Install Instructions:
  1. Unzip the LobsterTrap.zip to your "UserInterface\Pinco's UI\" folder. UO:EC should detect the mod file and load it automatically on the next startup.
    Unzip Location.JPG
  2. Place the following code in a command:
    Code:
    script LobsterTrap.TargetNearest()
    LobsterTrapMacroSetup.JPG
Usage:
Press Ctrl+Shift to build the table for all the items on the screen. Then just activate the command created in step 2 above to target the nearest lobster trap. Since the table is only kept for items on-screen, you'll need to press Ctrl+Shift again before targeting newly placed traps and whenever a trap that was off-screen comes back within view (for those folks who lobster fish across multiple screens).

Please feel free to provide feedback below as you use this mod. Thanks in advance, and happy huntings!

[Latest Version: 1.0]

Attachments

Last edited:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You mean like a macro ?

For the Classic Client or the Enhanced Client ?

Perhaps there is a macro with Pinco's UI that might be able to do it ?

But one would need to do a whole lot of walking though to get by the side of the trap to pick up....

Not sure how practical it could be.....

LowdownandShifty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I was thinking of making something for EC--a mod/macro specifically for fishing/trapping. I wanted to know how people are doing it these days. Personally I like running long rows of traps when lobster fishing. I've also seen others setup grid patterns. That's what I'm looking for input on... What's ya'll toughest thing to do WRT fishing/trapping?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a pick up macro, but it only works with the grid I lay out round my rowboat and only provided I'm far enough away from the shore to not leave the boat because sometimes it targets the rope.

Made this for you
http://www.twitch.tv/uostratics/c/4627371

Last edited:

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use EC and a Tokuno ship, I pull one trap into the hotbar and set a hotkey for it.
Note the time or use the hourglass for when you set the first trap out.
Sail slow and use your hotbar trap icon to lay out a line of 100 traps. You'll get a rhythm to placing them. Don't have much in your backpack, and unless you have very high strength it will make you overweight to pick up the 100 traps but no problem, you are not going to be moving around.
Keep on the same line so there is no ship left or right maneuvering.
Sail back to beginning of run.
Wait 8 to 10 minutes depending on how many traps you don't mind losing. Don't be cheating on this, the longer they're in the water the better the catch is. You will lose around 40 traps each time.
When your chosen time is up start sailing slowly clicking control-shift to bring up the trap tag. Stand in the rear of the ship by the hold.
Keep your cursor about as far as you can reach forward on the side of the ship in line with the trap item tags to double click them as they roll by, don't move it around any more than y0u have to. Double click each trap to pick it up as the tag moves under your cursor.
Continue thru the line and pick them all up. This takes a little practice but not that tough.
Sail back to the beginning of your line while unloading the traps and putting in your beetle/packie.
At 120 fishing you will harvest 400 to 600 stones of crabs and lobsters on each run.
Rinse and repeat. 3 lines possibly 4 and you will need to unload your packie.

I have tested different times to leave the traps in the water but the 8 to 10 minutes seems to be the most efficient. I know you lose traps but your time and patience will make that small amount of gold spending quite unimportant.

I wish I was able to be as fancy as Petra but I don't have a clue how to make a video. Good luck all, hope this works well for you, it sure does for me!!

Shadow Walker, Fisherman and Sonoma Proud

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use EC and a Tokuno ship, I pull one trap into the hotbar and set a hotkey for it.
Note the time or use the hourglass for when you set the first trap out.
Sail slow and use your hotbar trap icon to lay out a line of 100 traps. You'll get a rhythm to placing them. Don't have much in your backpack, and unless you have very high strength it will make you overweight to pick up the 100 traps but no problem, you are not going to be moving around.
Keep on the same line so there is no ship left or right maneuvering.
Sail back to beginning of run.
Wait 8 to 10 minutes depending on how many traps you don't mind losing. Don't be cheating on this, the longer they're in the water the better the catch is. You will lose around 40 traps each time.
When your chosen time is up start sailing slowly clicking control-shift to bring up the trap tag. Stand in the rear of the ship by the hold.
Keep your cursor about as far as you can reach forward on the side of the ship in line with the trap item tags to double click them as they roll by, don't move it around any more than y0u have to. Double click each trap to pick it up as the tag moves under your cursor.
Continue thru the line and pick them all up. This takes a little practice but not that tough.
Sail back to the beginning of your line while unloading the traps and putting in your beetle/packie.
At 120 fishing you will harvest 400 to 600 stones of crabs and lobsters on each run.
Rinse and repeat. 3 lines possibly 4 and you will need to unload your packie.

I have tested different times to leave the traps in the water but the 8 to 10 minutes seems to be the most efficient. I know you lose traps but your time and patience will make that small amount of gold spending quite unimportant.

I wish I was able to be as fancy as Petra but I don't have a clue how to make a video. Good luck all, hope this works well for you, it sure does for me!!

Shadow Walker, Fisherman and Sonoma Proud
This is basically how I do traps in the CC as well, although I haven't really been waiting any extra time after sailing back to the start of the line to begin picking up the traps. I will have to start doing that, though, because I've learned that as I've gotten more coordinated with the process of picking up the (hopefully) full traps, I get it done faster and the yield has been smaller than the first few times I did it and would miss a trap or two and would back up to get them before moving on.

To me, it seems that laying out 100 or so traps in a long column, sailing back to the start and then picking them up one after another is much, much less tedious than trying to lay out a few in a column next to the boat, moving the boat over a tile, laying out another column of traps, moving over a column, etc. When the traps are all around and under the boat that way, I find it very hard to resist the urge to pick them up when they start bobbing! Using the long-column method, you can develop a nice rhythm for picking up the traps and any that your character can't hold once his/her backpack is full just fall on the deck. When I reach the end of the line, I throw the traps that fell on the deck into the hold plus one more trap from the backpack and then just start emptying out the traps in the backpack. The worst part of the process (at least in the CC) seems to be re-stacking the empty traps while not dragging anything else you left in your character's backpack out of its normal position while you do so. (It obviously helps to empty the backpack as much as you can before you start messing with traps!) I think another advantage to doing it this way is that you just don't have time to worry about the traps that sink because you don't see the message about losing them. You just see a gap in the line as you come back through but you're just keep on going to get the rest of them. I find myself worrying more about a merchant ship popping up unexpectedly or a water ele or dolphin getting in the way and having to maneuver around it and then get back on course to pick up the rest of the traps.

LowdownandShifty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The LobsterTrap mod is compatible with the newest UI update (Pub 86). Please let me know if you have any issues setting it up. Thanks!