(Player News) New Magincia Township (Fel) Declares Its Independence 7/17/11

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
O

OrianaGRI

On Sunday 7/17, New Magincia Township (Felucca) declared itself independent of the central political system of Sosaria.

Thank you to the Catskills EM program for lending us Adris' superlative role-playing services.

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 16, 2010
Down with the Royal System! Power to the people!

I think I listened to this in a Napoleon podcast. They called it the French Revolution. It didn't really work out too well for over 25% of the people. They kinda died. Hopefully this will work out better.

P

PitrGri

Liberté

Sur mes cahiers d'écolier
Sur mon pupitre et les arbres
Sur le sable de neige
J'écris ton nom

Sur toutes les pages lues
Sur toutes les pages blanches
Pierre sang papier ou cendre
J'écris ton nom

Sur les images dorées
Sur les armes des guerriers
Sur la couronne des rois
J'écris ton nom

Sur la jungle et le désert
Sur les nids sur les genêts
Sur l'écho de mon enfance
J'écris ton nom

Sur les merveilles des nuits
Sur le pain blanc des journées
Sur les saisons fiancées
J'écris ton nom

Sur tous mes chiffons d'azur
Sur l'étang soleil moisi
Sur le lac lune vivante
J'écris ton nom

Sur les champs sur l'horizon
Sur les ailes des oiseaux
Et sur le moulin des ombres
J'écris ton nom

Sur chaque bouffées d'aurore
Sur la mer sur les bateaux
Sur la montagne démente
J'écris ton nom

Sur la mousse des nuages
Sur les sueurs de l'orage
Sur la pluie épaisse et fade
J'écris ton nom

Sur les formes scintillantes
Sur les cloches des couleurs
Sur la vérité physique
J'écris ton nom

Sur les sentiers éveillés
Sur les routes déployées
Sur les places qui débordent
J'écris ton nom

Sur la lampe qui s'allume
Sur la lampe qui s'éteint
Sur mes raisons réunies
J'écris ton nom

Sur le fruit coupé en deux
Du miroir et de ma chambre
Sur mon lit coquille vide
J'écris ton nom

Sur mon chien gourmand et tendre
Sur ses oreilles dressées
Sur sa patte maladroite
J'écris ton nom

Sur le tremplin de ma porte
Sur les objets familiers
Sur le flot du feu béni
J'écris ton nom

Sur toute chair accordée
Sur le front de mes amis
Sur chaque main qui se tend
J'écris ton nom

Sur la vitre des surprises
Sur les lèvres attendries
Bien au-dessus du silence
J'écris ton nom

Sur mes refuges détruits
Sur mes phares écroulés
Sur les murs de mon ennui
J'écris ton nom

Sur l'absence sans désir
Sur la solitude nue
Sur les marches de la mort
J'écris ton nom

Sur la santé revenue
Sur le risque disparu
Sur l'espoir sans souvenir
J'écris ton nom

Et par le pouvoir d'un mot
Je recommence ma vie
Je suis né pour te connaître
Pour te nommer

Liberté

Paul Eluard
in Poésies et vérités, 1942

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 1, 2008
Kentucky
A couple of questions...

What is the central political system of Sosaria and how is it limiting our freedom? If there is some great evil lurking about, stealing our free will and limiting our freedoms, I would like to know about it.

Is this the end of several of the Royal Guard regiments sworn under Queen Dawn and the laws of Sosaria... sworn to protect the lands, uphold it's laws and to serve all it's people? What happens to a Royal Guard regiment when the oath is broken and a regiment chooses to abandon their vows and serve a new purpose?

Does the above mentioned mean we will start to see activity in New Magincia Felucca? I visit regularly and I have never seen a single one of it's inhabitants.

This reporter intends to find out.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2004
New York City, NY
www.childrenofdarkness.com
Excellent questions, Zuck... my point of view:

The Crown is very much STILL an organization, with or without an appointed, sworn in Regent. On my last talks, the EM's are looking to put someone in charge of the Crown's affairs, which will probably be a new Queen or King, and will probably be part of a future storyline in the works.

The City of Magincia will always be part of the Crown's holdings... however a formed "township" can set up its own government independent of the Crown's government. Think the U.K. --- they have a Queen, but are governed by Parliament. The Queen has a say in who is elected to lead Parliament (she endorses the Prime Minister), but Parliament then governs itself.

At any rate, congratulations to the efforts of our fellow players.

Just my .02 cents. :)

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 22, 2008
Somewhere
Devils advocate here:

The real question is why does anyone care if these people decide to call themselves a town, they have most of the houses evidently, I haven't bothered to check and I'm not in any real hurry to make an effort.

They evidently have a guild they're doing this with although the specifications of getting yourself named a town never said anything about having a single guild, just a solidarity of people.

This brings up another point if I really wanted I could do the same thing they're doing by opening 3 more accounts then clustering 4 houses together and calling myself a village, and any RP guild on Catskills that disputes the legitimacy of owning more than one house per person I can safely call hypocrites and name people in there guild with more than one house. (lol)

Back on topic, why are you questioning it does it hurt you, are you forced to interact more with these people because they decided to do this. I'm not saying I support either side because I really don't care ... but unless you want to pick a fight over it there really isn't anything you can do about it it's not like the Dev's or EM's are going to be all "You can't have these houses you payed for and you can't call yourself a town".

I can provide a precedent from Europa for this sort of thing if you do claim them into your RP circle though. The RP guild of Vesper basically did the same thing they did in those screen shots in about 1998. Fairly sure they had a war and won.

That being said I know it's lolsy irony that I'm voicing this role since I certainly have no attachment to these people and I've done my fair share of arguing against them for about two years but I'm not stating these things as an RPer I'm stating them as a Player. The real question is why is it even an issue.

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 16, 2005
Ohio
There are many points of view on this subject.
1. Who cares? The vast majority of the Catskills players fall under this heading. That they own most of the houses on the Fel side of Magincia and have declared themselves a independent town has no affect on others players gaming experience so who cares what they do.
2. Them declaring the island as their own just makes it easier for PVPers to find them. Of course most likely they all will be friended to each others houses so that does ruin some of the PVP fun of hunting them there. Still I am sure lone hunters or very large groups will be in heaven knowing where they can locate targets with ease.
3. Role Playing stand point 1: Other player ran towns have declared they are independent from the crown before on Catskills. Most of these groups just ignore the Mythic established realm and pretend they are a separate smaller kingdom that exists with their own governments and laws.
4. Role Playing stand point 2: The citizens of Magincia Fel have unlawfully left the established Kingdom making them traitors to the crown and proper action must be taken. In this case many actions could take place.
a. The crown can grant them their freedom and establish diplomatic relations with them. (Not many kingdoms would do this because it encourages other groups with similar aspirations to attempt that same thing. In most cases that the kingdoms do accept this is because they do not have the force of arms to bring the rebels back into the fold.)
b. The Kingdom will take economic and liberty sanctions to insure the rebelling people return to them. Such as blockading shipping to and from the disputed area and limiting the travel rights of the people from the disputed area. (Meaning no trade or travel, isolating the rebels from outside contact till they surrender.)
c. The Kingdom deploys loyal troops to the disputed area to use the force of arms to regain the traitorous lands. The leaders of said rebellion of course will be seized and either killed or placed on trial as an example. (Meaning the Royal Guard will be called into action to overrun and take control of the island.)

As I stated at the first the average Catskills UO player does not care about this at all. If they want to Role Play their own Kingdom and they do not bother others.. who cares? It has no affect on most players day to day UO life. Now when the dev team gets around to giving us a new ruler and that ruler makes a Role playing decision about it then we may care.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 5, 2001
On a forum where the accepted and universally understood language is English it is unkind to use a different language that not all can understand. Please provide a translation of your post.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Cats/Europa
Meh,

I just don't like seeing the middle of a supposedly role played story with no reference point to a beginning or an end, no description of characters, no plot or potential plot. And I'm not sure there's any basis in UO lore, past present or future there either.

But I'm pretty sure they nailed their target audience.

Krinkle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 16, 2010
The translated version doesn't do this work justice. A good criticism work would have to be read to really understand the Surrealists.

Liberté

On my school notebooks
On my desk and on the trees
On the sands of snow
I write your name

On the pages I have read
On all the white pages
Stone, blood, paper or ash
I write your name

On the images of gold
On the weapons of the warriors
On the crown of the king
I write your name

On the jungle and the desert
On the nest and on the brier
On the echo of my childhood
I write your name

On all my scarves of blue
On the moist sunlit swamps
On the living lake of moonlight
I write your name

On the fields, on the horizon
On the birds’ wings
And on the mill of shadows
I write your name

On each whiff of daybreak
On the sea, on the boats
On the demented mountaintop
I write your name

On the froth of the cloud
On the sweat of the storm
On the dense rain and the flat
I write your name

On the flickering figures
On the bells of colors
On the natural truth
I write your name

On the high paths
On the deployed routes
On the crowd-thronged square
I write your name

On the lamp which is lit
On the lamp which isn’t
On my reunited thoughts
I write your name

On a fruit cut in two
Of my mirror and my chamber
On my bed, an empty shell
I write your name

On my dog, greathearted and greedy
On his pricked-up ears
On his blundering paws
I write your name

On the latch of my door
On those familiar objects
On the torrents of a good fire
I write your name

On the harmony of the flesh
On the faces of my friends
On each outstretched hand
I write your name

On the window of surprises
On a pair of expectant lips
In a state far deeper than silence
I write your name

On my crumbled hiding-places
On my sunken lighthouses
On my walls and my ennui
I write your name

On abstraction without desire
On naked solitude
On the marches of death
I write your name

And for the want of a word
I renew my life
For I was born to know you
To name you

Liberty.

Paul Eluard
in Poésies et vérités, 1942

O

OrianaGRI

*smiles warmly*

It is fine to see all our Catskills friends come out to greet our New Magincia Independence.

Thank you for your warm wishes and otherwise.

Fait accompli, mes amis.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 24, 2003
Well let me be the first to say congradulations! :) This may be the only player community based use of Magincia on any shard.

*edit* I was actually the second to say congrats! *edit*

P

PitrGri

Dusk seems to be a really weird guild...
You can add any character to it and there are absolutely no rules.
You can steal, kill, deceive... whatever you like... if you can survive...

It is warring all other guilds and same "no" rules apply... please beware when stealing from a citizen... royal guards or tormtars might be about... or the citizen might be strong enough to finish you off...

Possibilities... bloody and endless.

(Dusk GM... Gilbert 391-283-807)