• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Dev video: EC art updates first mention...

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just watched the video, looks like the first phase of EC artwork updates will be terrain and walls and according to Cal "looks like seeing something with astigmatism then putting on glasses". (rough quote)

Having mild astigmatism myself, I can understand the concept so I'm looking forward to it.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wasn't around for a while but I can see that some of the wall and floor tiles are already sharper than before, especially my wooden stairs and the trees outside. My only doubt is if it has anything to do with my re-installing the client. Anyone else noticed any difference?

W

Woodsman

Are you sure it's not your zoom level changing to the proper/sharpest level available?

LiquidSolidity

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder when we will start seeing the fixes to the blurry art? I hope it's soon as I really want to drop the CC and start enjoying the EC. I just hope they actually do it right this time.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you sure it's not your zoom level changing to the proper/sharpest level available?
Since none of you can see any change, this is the only explanation, which also means all this time I was using it without the sharpest level. I tried to match the pixel size of the items for both classic and enhanced client before, it probably messed the zoom level.

Kons

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Even if you don't see it, EC client got a lot of unused (new - KRstyle - high detailed, i don't know)art inside itself!

and this is one of the textures they are working on to improve terrain :)
I'm very curious on how the client will develop!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even if you don't see it, EC client got a lot of unused (new - KRstyle - high detailed, i don't know)art inside itself!

interesting... :)

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The stringdictonary.uop seems to be the file which is important if you want to use other textures. I can read it out but have not found away to modify it.

W

Woodsman

Nice.

And seconding the asking of where to get UO Reader.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Mm Interesting!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the dirt texture is the one already present is not new :/

same for the other item...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I, too, am wondering about this 'reader' program. I assume it is legitimate to use and I don't have to remove it as a '3rd party program' ?

Kons

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Well it is a third party program, but does not attach to client and does not influence in any way the gaming!

About the texture already contained, there are other a lot bigger, but i didn't want to make huge images..

I'm still developing it and it's not so stable, so it's not downloadable.. but it should become a sort of InsideUO for EC.
New .bin formats of arts and animations are quite difficult! :)
I know all that i need to know about other .bin (how to read them), don't worry!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well it is a third party program, but does not attach to client and does not influence in any way the gaming!

About the texture already contained, there are other a lot bigger, but i didn't want to make huge images..

I'm still developing it and it's not so stable, so it's not downloadable.. but it should become a sort of InsideUO for EC.
New .bin formats of arts and animations are quite difficult! :)
I know all that i need to know about other .bin (how to read them), don't worry!
nice project :)
the animations structure should be the same of 2d :p

Don't forget the option to export the images :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm going to assume that this UO Reader program is quite a bit like "Inside UO" which is completely legal to use.

And then I too am going to ask.... Can this be obtained somewhere when you are done?????? Because I LOVE Inside UO and a new program for the EC would be super awesome!

Kons

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
nice project :)
the animations structure should be the same of 2d :p

Don't forget the option to export the images :D
it would have been great if it was right, but it's not :)
Frames and FrameAnimation are different..
Also tiledata now contains lot (LOT) more (still unknown :D) infos about each tile.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
it would have been great if it was right, but it's not :)
Frames and FrameAnimation are different..
Also tiledata now contains lot (LOT) more (still unknown :D) infos about each tile.
yes, the uop file structure is different... good luck with the sniffing :D

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
40 more megs of strings in todays patch. very interested to see more.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I, too, am wondering about this 'reader' program. I assume it is legitimate to use and I don't have to remove it as a '3rd party program' ?
I sent an e-mail to Jeremy back in 2008 asking for permission to build an InsideUO equivalent for KR, and never got a response.

Of course, at the time there were also a number of Lua-related security concerns (all of the ones I know about have since been fixed), and being able to see the hidden lua files made finding those security problems much easier.

Kons

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I sent an e-mail to Jeremy back in 2008 asking for permission to build an InsideUO equivalent for KR, and never got a response.

Of course, at the time there were also a number of Lua-related security concerns (all of the ones I know about have since been fixed), and being able to see the hidden lua files made finding those security problems much easier.
well once you can unpack uops (+stringdictionary) you got all the luas you want..
The only problem in developing the reader are the .bin's formats, that are new and not known..
Btw i'm interested only in those ones, cause all other formats can already be opened (.dds .lua etc)

Kons

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
40 more megs of strings in todays patch. very interested to see more.
i think the patch was about renaming things because the number of contained strings is still 60365.. don't know, i should make a comparer but got no time ! :)

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We could replace art of already named strings and have the count remain the same? Yes or no?

Sadly, I am an end user. So for me this is all academic.

Kons

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Btw, to Pinco, about new textures:
the new High detailed terrain they are speaking about consists in using 512x512 textures instead of 256x256 (like the one i posted, my fault :) ).

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Btw, to Pinco, about new textures:
the new High detailed terrain they are speaking about consists in using 512x512 textures instead of 256x256 (like the one i posted, my fault :) ).
so just a shrink of the current texture... very sad...

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hmm something to look forward to... ok maybe TWO things (including the Reader... I hope you're able to get it working satisfactorily and will make it available to all of us curious types).

The key issue with the textures and objects beyond seeing them in a display program will be how they will scale and zoom ingame.

As it is right now, there are TWO distinct qualities in zoom/scale for ingame artwork depending on the location of said artwork. I found this out when Pinco added in discreet UI scaling. A given item (for example a BOD book) will have two different levels of scale quality depending on if said item is in a container thus in a UI window or simply in the game window.

The UI window shows a MUCH better quality of zoom/scaling while the game window is much rougher, more basic, and thus more pixelated and distorted.

Here's a couple of images showing this: To achieve this effect, I scaled the container UI element as large as allowable. I then zoomed the game in as closely as possible (The two items are within a pixel in size of each other) to get a comparison:

And the same image zoomed in Gimp 300% (no alteration beyond simple image zoom)

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hmm something to look forward to... ok maybe TWO things (including the Reader... I hope you're able to get it working satisfactorily and will make it available to all of us curious types).

The key issue with the textures and objects beyond seeing them in a display program will be how they will scale and zoom ingame.

As it is right now, there are TWO distinct qualities in zoom/scale for ingame artwork depending on the location of said artwork. I found this out when Pinco added in discreet UI scaling. A given item (for example a BOD book) will have two different levels of scale quality depending on if said item is in a container thus in a UI window or simply in the game window.

The UI window shows a MUCH better quality of zoom/scaling while the game window is much rougher, more basic, and thus more pixelated and distorted.

Here's a couple of images showing this: To achieve this effect, I scaled the container UI element as large as allowable. I then zoomed the game in as closely as possible (The two items are within a pixel in size of each other) to get a comparison:

And the same image zoomed in Gimp 300% (no alteration beyond simple image zoom)

with hd items the problem should be solved... obviously if they made it with vector graphics like the mobiles... :)

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would also not say that it is a texture problem at all, i dont know what they changed in the beta, but from one patch it began. When the beta starts everything looked like KR with turned on "Legacy Textures". After that patch, the whole client became unsharp, also the animations and the players began to lag. So changing the textures can not be the only solution.