• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Coordinate System?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed a different type of coordinates come up today after using a sextant both at sea and on dry land. I know I haven't been playing much at all for quite a while now, but I don't remember reading anything about this. Does anyone have any information about this new coordinate system? I don't use any third party programs, even UO Assist, so this is information that is coming from the UO program itself. I haven't had a chance to try out the new atlases either, so I'm wondering if this has something to do with those....??

Thanks.
weird coordinates.jpg

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
world, x axis, y axis, z axis

Looks like you were in Fel?
w1 = fel
w2 = tram
w3 = ilsh
w4 = malas
w5 = ter mur and eodon

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I noticed a different type of coordinates come up today after using a sextant both at sea and on dry land. I know I haven't been playing much at all for quite a while now, but I don't remember reading anything about this. Does anyone have any information about this new coordinate system? I don't use any third party programs, even UO Assist, so this is information that is coming from the UO program itself. I haven't had a chance to try out the new atlases either, so I'm wondering if this has something to do with those....??

Thanks.
View attachment 42957
This was introduced a while back as part of Time of Legends. We originally intended to keep it as an internal shard tool, but given its usefulness we left it in. That is the XYZ equivalent to the latitude longitude coordinate. We didn't want to break immersion too much so it's a system message instead of a bark. Anytime you've got to send in bug reports, communicate with Mesanna on locations, or anything like that we much prefer the XYZ coordinate.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
world, x axis, y axis, z axis

Looks like you were in Fel?
w1 = fel
w2 = tram
w3 = ilsh
w4 = malas
w5 = ter mur and eodon
Hmmm, no. She was in Trammel. At the house in Malas, it was showing w3 as the first coordinate. This was on Great Lakes.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was introduced a while back as part of Time of Legends. We originally intended to keep it as an internal shard tool, but given its usefulness we left it in. That is the XYZ equivalent to the latitude longitude coordinate. We didn't want to break immersion too much so it's a system message instead of a bark. Anytime you've got to send in bug reports, communicate with Mesanna on locations, or anything like that we much prefer the XYZ coordinate.
Thanks, Kyronix. Can you, or did you already, give us some kind of guide as to what the various parts of the coordinates mean? Seems like the first part refers to a facet, and then the next two are latitude and longitude, and the last one must be height. Where is 0, 0 for the latitude and longitude?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One more question for you in addition to the ones just above: If you need to get these coordinates for communicating with the dev or GM teams, is there another way to get them to display as a system message other than using a sextant? Thanks.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Tina, it's the same x/y that UOAM always used, if you were directly inputting, rather than converting from sextant coords.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina, it's the same x/y that UOAM always used, if you were directly inputting, rather than converting from sextant coords.
It's probably been about 7 years since I used UOAM, and I only used it sporadically back then for about a year or so and was never very proficient with it. I guess I won't worry about it. LOL Thank you for trying to set me straight, however.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One more question for you in addition to the ones just above: If you need to get these coordinates for communicating with the dev or GM teams, is there another way to get them to display as a system message other than using a sextant? Thanks.
The w refers to the facet, the corresponding facets are posted above. The coordinates are X, Y, and Z. X and Y are the same as you'd see on a cartesian coordinate system, Z is height. In the EC they are displayed in the map, otherwise you can just use a sextant to get them.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The w refers to the facet, the corresponding facets are posted above. The coordinates are X, Y, and Z. X and Y are the same as you'd see on a cartesian coordinate system, Z is height. In the EC they are displayed in the map, otherwise you can just use a sextant to get them.
My results for the facets (shown below) are different from what Brian posted:

w0 = Felucca
w1 = Trammel
w2 = Ilshenar
w3 = Malas
w4 = Tokuno
w5 = Ter Mur and Eodon

Is this going to be a problem for me if I ever report something using this coordinate system?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My results for the facets (shown below) are different from what Brian posted:

w0 = Felucca
w1 = Trammel
w2 = Ilshenar
w3 = Malas
w4 = Tokuno
w5 = Ter Mur and Eodon

Is this going to be a problem for me if I ever report something using this coordinate system?
Your world IDs are correct, I only glanced at Brian's post above, my mistake. I don't see why it would be a problem. We don't use latitude and longitude. We'd prefer all reports using XYZ.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Where is 0, 0 for the latitude and longitude?

Tina Small, you evil little...!
Don't ask such questions, when I'm around! :arr: :smile2:

This is as close as you can come to 0,0.

W153.gif

I think it was here (at the )

W100.jpg

When I later decided to leave, strange things happened...

The tillerman ejected me from the boat and took off.

Oops.jpg

Fortunately I had the key in my backpack, so I was quickly back onboard, but... ?!?

Oops2.jpg

(Fun fact; the 0,0 for the old system is Lord British's throne.)

Last edited: