• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Beginnings

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
“Izznet! I miss Elvira! It is simply not the same without her here.”

“I know, Pene, what do you want me to do about it? She’s at peace now. Let the poor dear rest.”

“I want us to Move! I want somewhere less traveled and fewer memories. Please?”

“Pene, we’ve been here for a very long time. Why move now?”

“I want to see forest and stars. Is that so much to ask?” Penelope said with a heavy sigh.

“No, I suppose it is not so much. I will see what can be done.”

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Izznet has been very excited the last couple of days. She has decided to move from her home in New Magincia and seek out a spot more to her liking. I am glad to see her doing things which are just for her, without sway from anyone else. She never did like living in that town, it is noisy and the smell from the animal vendors in the market square is rather sickening.

She took me and showed me the spot she had found far out in Malas. It is a lovely area bordered on one side by a forest and the other by a field of stars deep set in an ebony field. She has been working hard on the houses design, and carefully planning what she would put where once the new building is complete.

We have grown much closer over the past weeks, if there was any closer to get that is. We spend most of our time together now, and I am sure that my dealings in Yew concern her greatly. If I were to awake tomorrow and walk away from Aegis and Yew I think she would let out a cheer. But she tries to keep most of her comments to herself and only ask that I promise to stay safe.

And I make this promise, though she and I both know that is not a promise I can guarantee. Until matters are settled and Yew is free from the Hand, I cannot long think on walking away from the people and town I care so much for.

Figol told me that this is not my battle, that Yew and Aegis are the concern of others. Perhaps he was right at one time. But when he set me here, knowing what he had raised me to be, did he really think I could turn my back on my charge and duty? Perhaps he believes I owe not fealty to any but him.

I continue to return to Yew to speak with the people. I prowl silently though Aegis and look with some measure of home sickness on the Rest and the quiet glade it sits in. And although it is a horrible monstrosity at this time, it is the only home I can recall.

To begin anew would seem a wonderful thing. To cast off those things which keep me fettered to a land and people and walk free under a sunlit sky. To dance merrily along fields of stars and lie in dew touched grass hearing only two heart beats and the chirping of hoppers in the forest. But what is new would in time weigh heavily on my heart, and I would curse myself for letting Yew and her people down.

Still, I can share in Izznet’s happiness while I remain alive and free. And continue to offer my support and services to my people.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Progress on moving was going far more slowly than Penelope desired and her tantrums were becoming more of an irritant than a help. Izznet took the house marm by the shoulders and stopped her mid tantrum, looked her square in the eyes and whispered, “Pene, dear, it will get done in time. Relax.”

Moving and decorating had been helpful in keeping Izznet’s mind occupied rather than focusing on the upcoming “trial”. Any Kindred on trial was by far the most ridiculous event any one of that ilk could possibly allow to happen. But they were not only “on trial” but the general attitude would suggest it would be more of a show of force than of justice. She was certain mercy would not be entertained at all.

A fair gathering of officials were in attendance of the Moonglow trial. The sneering judgments of those in attendance dictated the event was less about rules and law and more about show of force and domination. More and more Izznet was forced to consider, and reconsider the definition of “evil”. Those humans who were so quick to offer blanket judgments and level indictment based on skin color or preconceived notions of a people group seemed to have missed the concept of “good and evil”. How was any of the proceedings “good” or “just”?

Sitting at the event watching an exercise in futility became a matter of keeping composure. Izznet figured the ones being paraded around like trophies knew her for what she was. There was simply nothing to be done other than to watch in disgusted horror as their bodies erupted in flames. Izznet felt the searing loss of more of her kind and, in truth, were she revealed by them she may not have objected.

Then looking to Aedon and the pained look on his face, she realized there was a very good reason to remain in the shadows. She needed to be strength for him. His days to come would be difficult, and she was determined to support his heart’s call to the people of Yew.

The more she heard him speak of his devotion to Yew, the deeper her respect for him and his calling became. She knew that his heart would always belong to his city, and in truth she would have it no other way. There was no need to compete for his affection, but instead her role would be to give him an anchor and a place of safe harbor. To share in affections with a town was a good calling and an important responsibility. She was unwilling to draw him from his heart’s call.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
The days after moving the ShadowMoore to Malas had been a whirlwind of activities. Between the mockery of a trial and execution in Moonglow to the meetings with various government officials, the level of restraint and composure Izznet was required to hold was beginning to be overwhelming. Evenings spent with Aedon were frequent and a delightful respite to the rest of the world, but even in that peace the wild thoughts began in invade.

Laying quietly listening to the night sounds and soft breathing next to her, Izznet’s second vision began to stir. The shimmering waves and swirling darkness gave way to an image moving in silence before her eyes.

The meeting between Aedon, Governor Guy, and the woman Cas took a sinister turn. She rode up with an entourage of The Hand guards, without the proper warrants or fulfilling the meeting as promised she took Aedon into custody throwing him into a cell. Penrose was called to keep the treaty that had been signed thus beginning a bloody battle between Moonglow Inquisitors and The Hand.

A red mage tried to keep Izznet out of the fray as best as possible, he had given word to Aedon he would make sure no harm came to her, or that she would not do something reckless if something unforeseen would occur. They were safe for a short while, but after it was apparent The Hand would lose again to Moonglow, they devised a more sinister plan.

A scout had followed Penelope home, thus discovering the new location of ShadowMoore. Unable to take Aegis, they attacked the Moore instead. Penelope was the recipient of their fury, she was found beaten and left for dead by the red mage and Izznet. Izznet flew into a rage leaving the red mage behind she went after The Hand on her own.

She was also captured and thrown into a cell with Aedon. Her reckless behavior threatened to reveal her nature. It was still suspect and untested, but the guards were unwilling to be the ones to discover facts one way or the other. Putting her into a cell with Aedon seemed ideal to accomplish two tasks with one action.

Before she was forced to make herself known the red mage spoke on their behalf securing their release. He also ensured Penelope was tended by the best healers he could find.

After their release Aedon and Izznet were allowed to return home, but she would be followed and watched constantly. They were certain they knew her nature and wanted to catch her in the act in order to return her to Yew to stand “trial”. However, they acted outside their territory by following her to Malas. Their accusations were dismissed and they were quelled, again.

“The world is in chaos, but together we are strong…”

The voice in her head echoed after the silent images faded into the darkness. Quiet stirring next to her made her smile a sad smile. Her care for this man was profound, and the price of loss would be high. She was unwilling to lose him or jeopardize his safety with reckless and unplanned actions. It was imperative she be wise in her dealings with the community at large.

She had made a promise to him how she would intervene, if the need arose. Settling into the dark covers with nothing more than her white hair to tell of her presence, she steeled herself to what may lie ahead. “It is nothing more than a warning to be cautious,” she said to herself.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
“Well, you about scared the life right out of me with all that!”

Penelope was cranky, to say the least. She had been startled awake by the cracks and snap of a bullwhip. The angry snake that wrapped around Izznet’s arm had been cutting deep crevices into a nearby tree. A leafy massacre on the ground was evidence of the assault.

“What did that tree ever do to you?”

“Do forgive, Pene. I was feeling a bit rusty and figured it was high time to practice, should circumstances dictate necessity.”

“Oh now you’re just talkin in riddles. Please! Out with it already.”

“If you Must know, I fear tensions in Yew may come to a head and that Aedon will be taken. Should that be the case, I need to protect “my property”. Is that explanation enough for you?”

“Hmm well that explains the whip. But what about that get up?”

“Since when are you the expert on fashion? Move along girl.”

Laughing to herself Penelope retreated to the ShadowMoore leaving Izznet to continue the onslaught on innocent foliage. Closing the door behind her Penelope pondered her house mate’s explanation. It was disturbing and she had hoped moving would offer a degree of quiet and peace. Clearly she was mistaken.

Izznet had shared the vision with Penelope, as way of warning. As grateful as she was for the words of caution, she was also angered by them. The House of H’unar may have been long dead, however the House of Izznet was alive and well. The misfit joining of such diverse races would normally be a hearty joke, but for them, it was as much a danger as it was an asset.

Dark natures and misunderstood races had come together under one roof to live in unity and harmony. Few had ever understood how they worked together. The one man who did understand was the one Penelope believed to be the most dangerous.

Izznet had come to deeply care for the Guardian of Aegis, and his recurring stops at the Moore had given an opportunity for Penelope to watch him in a relaxed environment. His gentle manner and soft words had wrapped the same tendrils of compassion around Pene’s heart as they did Izznet. This was something the Watcher had known all along.

With a light chuckle Penelope considered the words the gargoyle had given concerning him long ago. “Well it seems we are finally joining the party.” Penelope whispered to herself as she pondered how best to keep the whole house safe from harm.

“Love makes one do silly things, Watcher.” Penelope spoke into the dark corner as the large gargoyle stepped into the candle lit room.

“This is a thing I observe and envy. Yet, I think, it is worthy of protection. My prayer is that I will be sufficient.”

“You’re more than sufficient, old flappy wing.”

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Night winds blew soft across meadow sweeping his hair across his face. The beauty and serenity of the location whispered secrets only lovers would understand and hear. There was no fan fair, not trumpet blast or grand celebration. It was merely a declaration of intent released into the universe. Those who witnessed were the rippling waters and the quaking leaves.

The House Izznet would stand. Another joined its ranks with the passion and fervor of one who had been born into it. There was a new sense of purpose as the House began again. The turmoil surrounding the union stood as hearty joke to be shared. There were no teeth to the threat of defeat.

Fair skin tied to dark skin with a bond of emerald silk. Two hearts, two hands, two Houses were united as one. Some would object, others would scoff, but the strength combined would prove in time. The true promise was that time would test and try them, and that their resolve would be prize.

It had been centuries since she even considered claiming a House as her own. When her own House fell the dream of being Matriarch fell with it. In one fluid movement of heart and soul the dream was rekindled. How would such a rag tag collection of races be able to come together under the rule of one Dark Elf?

It was no time for questions, the time of hiding in the shadows was apparently over. Throwing her lot in with the fate of Aegis had set the ShadowMoore firmly into the light of day. For good or ill they would be known together.

“Welcome home,” the soft whisper from a dark corner spoke to the presence of one not wishing to break the spell of a wonder filled evening.

Nothing else was spoken, nor needed to be, the understanding was clear. Do Not Disturb!

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Running through the forest following Aedon was not intended to be an adventure. A low growling rumble was heard a moment before the swinging thud of a club knocked Izznet from her charger. The ettin laughed as he took another swing but was cut down by a searing pulse of energy splitting one head from the other.

It was a pathetic show for a creature of such great size. With one head still alive and staring at her, pleading for its life she bared fangs and drained the beast of all it had left. Standing and wiping the blood from her lips she heard a gentle rustle of leaves behind her.

How could she have been so foolish? The woods were in the Ranger’s territory. Quickly she tried to hide her act by cutting a gash into the ettin’s throat over the marks she had left. If the ranger was foolish, they would never suspect a thing.

Turning to face the accuser a chill ran down her spine. It was not a ranger, but Skylar. Whatever her new nature was, Izznet knew she had been revealed. It was only a matter of time before it was her trial people would flock to.

To her surprise, Skylar said nothing. She kept moving as if nothing had happened. There was even an invitation to share a drink at the pub.

Living with the notion that someday her true nature would be revealed was something that had become second nature. It was a fine line between the dark nature and the desire to walk freely in the lands of humans. The ability to interact and even become friendly was a sweet gift. It also had its sour notes when the “betrayal” of knowledge was revealed.

Day to day would speak to the threat of what Skylar witnessed. Izznet refused to live in fear of what may come, but instead savor every moment of what she had in the palm of her hand. To be afraid, she had discovered, was a waste of time.

Returning home the peace brought by the one she cared for deeply washed over her. The soft blanket of his gentle touch and warm embrace had become a treasure worth defending. The turmoil that followed them was left at the door without permission to enter.

With his head in her lap she gently traced the contours and lines of his face. Each touch used to commit his image to memory. The soft relaxed breathing radiated peace that wrapped around her as well. However long they were free she would claim every moment with him and hold it dear.

The days that were on the horizon promised to be filled with controversy. She knew there was a level of resolve that was required or they would lose what bit of their own soul was left. Papers and plans, back room dealings and secret meetings added to the notion that anyone found not fitting into an understood norm would be hunted, arrested or worse.

Blinking away the concerns she sat on the low couch with his head in her lap watching his peaceful slumber. Dark days may come, but they were not this day.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
“It is not too far ahead now!”

Riding a bit too fast perhaps through the Spiritwood, Aedon allowed Leannan to move at his own pace. He and the great steed had been together so many years that no rein was required to direct the steed, only a few which flashed through Aedon’s mind of the house next to the small pond in the land held by the Rangers. He enjoyed a quick ride through woods, and was so focused on the destination he failed to notice that Izznet had dropped behind.

Glancing behind, he noticed the empty path behind him, and called her name, as Leannan came to a full stop. The fact that he heard no hoof beats close by, coupled with the sudden roar of what sounded like a troll somewhere in the distance cause some concern. He know well that Izznet could take care of herself, but he would double back to find her and lead her to Mylar’s house.

He was about to spur Leannan on when Skylar showed up in the path. He knew that they were not too far from the Rangers cemetery. Perhaps she had dropped by there to pay her respects. The woman did not speak at first so Aedon said;

“I seem to have lost my lady.”

“Oh did you?” she replied darkly.

Without another word Aedon started back the way he had come looking for Izznet. Skylar followed, and it was she that came on the missing Drow first. Standing in a small circle, the body or an ogre laid out before her Izznet slowly rose and turned towards the path. The blood on her lips was clear to see and Skylar seemed to enjoy what she believed she had found.

Cleaning off her mouth quickly Izznet looked up and mentioned the thing had jumped her from behind and she had to kill it. Skylar just grinned and nodded a bit. Looking to Izznet Aedon mentioned that Mylar’s house was nearby now, and invited Skylar to join them in seeing the place. He was pretty sure though that even without the invitation, the woman would follow them.

They made their way quickly towards the woodland home and Aedon noticed that another had ridden up and was following along. Reaching the house, Aedon waited as Izznet and Skylar looked through the place. Once done, he was hoping that they could get as far away from the other two as possible. Instead, it ended up that they were all going to Skara for a drink. Izznet opened a gate, and the four stepped through and into the city of Rangers.

Once in the tavern, Aedon walked to the bar and got some supper for himself and a couple of ales for the other two. Skylar readily accepted her ale, but the other, who seemed to be named Risek or the like, looked at the drink before and growled. Reaching inside her jacket, Skylar pulled out a vial of green liquid, and removing the cork, handed it to the somewhat shaky man.

Watching for a moment Aedon asked Skylar;

“Is he ill?”

“He is Vadan Myr.” She replied flatly.

Vadan Myr, he had come across that in one of the books held in the library. It referred to some sort of experiment or test. But most of the tome was burned and many of the pages missing or unreadable. Reaching for another vial Skylar opened it and swallowed the contents saying that she was also Vadan Myr. She also said that she and this man were two of Governor Penrose’s inquisitors.

They sat for a few more moments with Skylar’s eyes always watching Izznet. Aedon was well aware that his carelessness in the woods this day may have exposed Izznet’s nature before those of Moonglow. And he knew well that they had only recently been at war with a kindred clan, and recalled the burnings of the three captured ones. The man with Skylar also kept his eyes ever on Izznet, growling low, his hands shaking with anticipation. Watching, Skylar told him;

“I have told you, these two are under the Governor’s protection.”

Aedon was glad when they stood to leave and said their goodbyes. They had just stepped out the door when Aedon turned to Izznet saying.

“I think we better go home.”

It was good to be back in the safety of Connemara. Far from the cares of life in the city, Aedon found a peace here that he had longed sought. On the porch, overlooking the stars was a low slung sofa. Sitting there together, Aedon and Izznet talked for a while. They both knew how close they had come to danger this day, and he hoped that a simple ride in the woods on a lovely evening would be the cause of a great loss he could not bear.

Pulling his feet up onto the sofa, Aedon lay his head on Izznet’s lap. Laying her hand on his forehead, she started to trace the contours of his face. Her cool touch helped to dissipate the sense of dread that had gripped him since sitting in the tavern. Closing his eyes, he lingered on the threshold of sleep and waking. He could hear Izznet’s voice speaking softly to him as her fingers continued to stroke his brow. And just as he slipped off to sleep he heard an echo in the back of his mind.

“I am Vadan Myr.?

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
A gentle whisper on the wind no louder than a wisp of smoke caressed her ear causing the hairs on the back of her neck to stand on end.

“Aedon injured. Skara Brae healers.”

As quickly as the voice appeared it vanished. Without a second thought Izznet grabbed her hat and cloak and raced out to Skara Brae. The healers had seen many patients in the recent past, and they certainly would be thin in their resources. The fact it was a prime location to complete a task already begun notwithstanding.

Finding Aedon exactly as she feared did little to ease her mind. A malevolent force had woven its grip around his entire body. His features were frozen in pain and the color drained from his face. At first sight she feared him already dead.

She released heavy sigh of relief when he opened his eyes and smiled at her. The healers had done an admirable job at keeping their patient on the right side of life. They would need compensated for their efforts.

Izznet spoke quietly to the healers and informed them she would take him home and tend him there. Over many objections from both healers and Izznet, Aedon insisted on walking. Leaning heavily on her, they made their way home.

Carrying him up the stairs she felt his body begin again to fade. His breathing was shallow and labored. Laying him on the bed she retrieved a towel and water to wash his face and torso.

“Avalon! I need you.”

Izznet’s whisper was met with the gentle click of talons on marble flooring. The Watcher was already there. Slowly moving across the room whispering incantations of healing and protection the large gargoyle circled the bed until her power was realized. Spreading her arms wide along with her wings, she stretched the entire length of the bed dwarfing it and those who occupied it.

When the spell was complete a light film of iridescent smoke hovered over them. Izznet insisted on staying by his side until it was proven he was safe from death. The Watcher returned to her corner to ensure no harm would come to them.

Long into the night the soft padding of paws sounded on the marble. Kanaye had heard of the trouble and at first opportunity came to see how his friend faired. Izznet greeted him and allowed him access to the room. The wards and covers that Avalon had placed were split to allow the kitsune access.

The pained expression on the fox face spoke to all their feelings. The pain of seeing a strong friend injured echoed to troubles yet to come. The fox and Izznet sat a while quietly chatting and discussing recent events.

As the night wore on Aedon’s breathing became wracked in vivid dreams mixed with pain. Lying next to him softly stroking his face, she began to hum an ancient lullaby of his homelands. Taking memories she had garnered from their encounters she spoke into his mind’s eye images that would bring him quiet peace.

The energy required to conjure the images was draining and left Izznet weak. The comfort of having two others stand watch helped her continue to stave the nightmares. Regardless of her efforts, in the wee hours of morning the visions turned dark. When he sat bolt upright in battle stance it shook the ward, the bed and Izznet to the core.

Avalon appeared at his side as immediately as the image was complete laying a hand on his chest to settle him back in the pillows. Once he was again quiet, she turned attention to her charge. Images had been broken and the searing agony of a bond broken violently had thrown Izznet to the floor.

Cradling Izznet in her arms the gargoyle carried her charge to a quiet place. Laying her in the darkness and closing out all light, she whispered wards that would seal the lid for specific time. Avalon watched her charge carefully before closing the coffin.

“I will watch him, lady.”

The rest of the night the gargoyle stood over the bed keeping the cover of quiet and peace over her patient. When dawn broke, Penelope woke and stood watch while Avalon mixed a special blend of herbs and spices to aid in healing. It was hoped that the quiet along with the tea would help their charge regain strength quickly.

As the day broke, Aedon regained strength and spunk. The color returned to his face and he became increasingly difficult to keep still. Releasing the warding was the only option. Good news was his quick recovery, bad news he felt the desire to run headlong back into turmoil.

Watching him pace about the room, all Avalon was able to do was to drop the wards and let him leave. Shaking her head she watched him vanish in a puff of smoke back to his abode. “Humans…” was all she could say.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There are times in a man’s life when he must stop and make choices which may have profound consequences. The attack on him by Skylar in the Shattered Skull had left Aedon weaker than he had felt in many years. Where he had always been a fast healer he found that he had not bounced back fully. He had assured Avalon that he was ready to leave her care, and though the Watcher may have known better, she had no other choice but to leave him to his own devices.

He was angry when he left the Izznet’s house, and his first thought was to arm himself and go looking for Skylar. Returning to his own house, he slipped into his tunic and leather leggings. Fastened the arms at the shoulder and pulled his cap over his head. As he lifted his arms to slip his gorget around his neck, a sharp pan radiated through his chest from the point of impact of Skylar’s blast.

Sitting in a nearby chair, his hand over his heart, Aedon listened as his heart pounded violently in his chest. His left arm ached as though he had been swinging a heavy sword for hours. The gorget, which he held in his left hand fell to the floor as a numbness coursed from his fingers up into his arm. And then, blackness fell across his eyes.

When he awoke later the pain had subsided, but he found that he was worn out. But he was determined to seek the one that had caused this pain at any and all costs. So he finished dressing, and headed to Skara and the Shattered Skull.

As he entered the tavern, he saw Mylar and two others sitting at a nearby table. Looking to them he nodded, and made a remark about having been out hunting. A lie, perhaps; but it was better than trying to explain to them that he had come out by himself seeking Skylar and planning to attack her.

Moving to the counter, the bartender smiled and asked if he wanted his usual. Shaking his head Aedon told him that he wanted ale, and lots of it. Carefully carrying a multitude of pitchers of ale to the table where the others sat, he joined them and sat the ale before all asking them to join him. When it was stated that it seemed odd seeing that he did not drink, Aedon responded saying;

“Well, I may just start.”

Picking up a pitcher, he raised it to his lips and took a healthy drink, and immediately spit it across the room.

“This stuff is horrible, how do people drink this.” He asked.

Mylar then suggested he start with wine saying that it was sweet and fruity. Going back to the counter, Aedon ordered an equal amount of wine to add to his ale collection on the table. Picking up the closest pitcher, he took a deep drink and was pleasantly surprised.

“This tastes wonderful.” He said smiling towards Mylar.

He was not sure how many pitchers of wine he downed, and in time he noticed that he was having trouble sitting still. When a sudden impulse came on him to sing, he burst out in song caring not that those sitting at the table with him might find him odd. At the time all he knew was that he was having fun, and that the memory of the blast, and the pain from early on was now forgotten and unimportant.

As he was reaching for another pitcher, the door opened and Avalon walked in. He greeted her merrily and introduced her to those at the table saying.

“Lishen, lishen, thesh is my buddy buddy bud, Abalon. Abalon, meet my friengs. “

The watcher did not look amused, but paused first to nod a greeting to those at the table before casting a spell of sleep on Aedon who fell over backwards and onto the floor. Going to the other side of the table, the Gargoyle lifted Aedon and slung him over her shoulders like a sack of potatoes, and then nodding, headed out the door and home.

Back at Connemara, Avalon plopped Aedon into a chair and stood in front of him for a few minutes guarding him. When it seemed clear that Aedon was in no condition to move for the rest of the night, she leaned over and whispered to him.

“We do not need to tell Izznet about this, it can be our secret.”

Then watching as he grumbled in his sleep she leaned down again and whispered closer to his ear.

“She really loves you.”

The rising and watching as a smile traced Aedon’s lips she started towards the door. Before going outside she looked back saying;

“Please promise me you will not hurt her.”

Opening his eyes slowly Aedon looked at Avalon and said simply;

“I promise.” And then fell into a deep restful sleep.

Flowers swayed in the breeze and over their heads light fluffy clouds hung in an azure sky. Sitting on a blanket together, Aedon and Izznet enjoyed a meal of fruit, bread and cheese with a fine red wine to drink. The few from their blanket seemed to go on and on forever with no other person or creature in sight other than flocks of colorful butterflies what flitted about over their heads.

Smiling softly, he reached out his hand to caress her face, feeling the warmth of her skin and the softness of her hair as it cascaded down her back and shoulders. Looking to him, her emerald green eyes shone brightly and he was struck by the feelings her smile gave rise to in him.

Leaning in to kiss her, he reached up to lay his left hand on her shoulder. A sharp pain ripped though his chest causing him to double over. Jolting to wakefulness Aedon looked around the room, a sense of urgent fear welling from deep within. As the sensation passed, he got up and poured himself a cup of tea and returned to his chair.

Closing his eyes, he conjured up the vision of the picnic and her beautiful face bathed in sunlight and smiled.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
The daylight hours moved in fluid beauty within the House of Song. Stunning scenery and a heady peace that belonged to lovers bound by soul shattering depth filled their minds in unity. Beyond the physical, they shared a piece of each other that would be nay to impossible to break.

It is the dark hours that bring Izznet out to play, while daylight is saved for inside activities. Waking from a happy slumber in time for the dinner hours, her happy daydreams were turned to ash. A simple and sharp twinge crept up her spine, at once she knew there was something terribly amiss.

Aedon was in trouble, she knew instinctively he was already in stress. Closing her eyes she sought his face in her mind. It only took two tries to find him, had she been a bit more keen perhaps she would have arrived in time to avert the attack.

“A leg? Why would they break him in such a fashion?” she pondered to herself.

Her ponderings screamed in her mind desperate to lash at those who did harm. Everything within her soul burned to destroy them. The look on Aedon’s face begged her not to witness their acts of cruelty. So as not to embarrass him further, she remained stoic. She could no more abandon him than to lop off her own arm. She would not leave his side.

Angry and hurt the silence they shared surrounded them as a hedge of thorns. There was nothing to be said that would undo what had been accomplished. A course of action was taken and the consequences would be far reaching.

Carrying him back to the ShadowMoore was barely an effort. The thoughts racing through her mind were full of how best to protect the bit of quiet safety they had worked so hard to acquire. No “friends” would be admitted. Any who wished a quiet place would have to Earn It!

“No, please don’t do that.”

He whispered in pain as she told him of the withdraw of sanctuary. Two who had sought safety were now without. She was unwilling to allow one betrayal to escalate. Regardless of the circumstances, she was determined to keep those who would hunt them at arm’s length.

“It is done already,” she said.

Setting the broken leg was excruciating, she remembered well the pain, yet he did not cry out. Wrapping his leg securely while trying to be gentle was an exercise in futility. She knew it needed done before it began to heal badly, and the shock wore off. Causing him more pain was the last she wished to do, yet it had to be done.

“I’ll let Llyr do this later,” he whispered.

“No. You will allow me to do this now. I do not wish it to heal badly.”

Nodding and lying back on the pillows he tried to focus his thoughts on other things. The silent tears that escaped broke her heart and made her proud of him at the same time. He was more of an honorable man than any of the others ever hoped to be, and she was thrilled to be part of his struggle.

Whispering into her mind the desire to go to the House of Song seemed to come at the same time the idea came to her. She was already moving when he voiced the wish. Opening a gate and gently lifting him from the bed she moved with grace and speed to his place of healing rest.

She promised not to leave his side. In truth, she would have had to be dragged by wild horses away from him. Lying next to him she spent the night listening carefully to his breathing and his heartbeat. The shock would set in and she needed to be aware when it did to best care for his battered body. There was only one other time she had felt so helpless to fix a problem or rescue one she loved… she could still feel the pain of her daughter being ripped from her body.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
“Avalon, I have a task I need you to do for me.”

“Speak your will, ma’am.”

“I need you to take this vessel and crystal to the BaleFire in Aegis. Collect some of the flame along with some soil, put it in here and return it to me. You know the fire is harshly damaging to me, or I would do this myself.”

“Aye, ma’am. You wish to make him less homesick?”

“I do. I know it was a heavy price to pay, leaving his home. Perhaps this will ease his heartache some.”

“It will be as you require.”

Soft leather wings barely made a sound as they vanished into the darkness. The first stop required would be to prepare her heart for what the cost of removing fire would be. Sorrow Rock, as Avalon called it, was her quiet sacred place. The rock faces welcomed her as she knelt to petition her deities.

Long wings of midnight purple folded behind her body like a train. Leaving a small offering at her place of worship she waited for a response. Kneeling quietly her pile of honey, raisins, saffron and lavender began to smolder bursting into a tiny flame. Her petition had been heard and the offering was accepted.

It would be safe for her to proceed with her errand. As the giant gargoyle flew closer to the Fire she could feel its energy. Her time spent in Aegis had been long past and she had almost forgotten the streaming surge that ran beneath the land.

For one of good intentions, the fire was a source of joy and strength. One created for sinister deeds the same fire sought to purge and destroy. It was little wonder Izznet was unable to withstand the flames for long. They would burn her from the very core of her being to see her pure.

She stopped at Aegis before walking the short trail to the fire. With each step talons dug into the soft ground collecting dirt and moss. Reaching the blue holy light Avalon cleared her heart and mind to accomplish the task at hand.

Talons etched in silver lightly grasped the delicate vessel. Holding it into the flame she watched carefully as the tiny wisps jumped around the filigree egg. At her request the creatures bowed to Avalon and a few entered as requested.

It was told the purpose of the gift and for whom it was intended. They were safe in the care of the dreamer. And if any harm came to them Avalon would be held responsible.

When the vessel was full the Watcher placed some of the damp soil in the bottom of the crystal ball and secured the egg onto it. Sealing the crystal with wax she placed the gift carefully into her bag. Her Charge would be pleased, and it was hoped the gift would be agreeable.

~*~

The gift to Aedon was received with mixed emotions. He was grateful, yet sad at the same time. She knew that would be the response, yet feeling the depth of his sorrow reached her to the core.

The night for lovers was off to an emotionally charged start. All the stars in the heavens were in alignment and screaming to stay at home. Yet restlessness prevailed. They were both eager for a change of scenery.

Hoping tensions in Skara Brae had settled they meandered to the Shattered Skull for dinner. It was a routine, why break a routine for the benefit of other restless souls? What could possibly go wrong?

He had barely finished eating when three from The Hand appeared. What could go wrong? All went terribly wrong in very short order.

Izznet tried to follow where they took him, but was ordered to return to the tavern. All she needed to do was refuse, until the glint of a sharp blade caught her eye. They intended not to harm her, but would slit his throat in the streets were she not to comply. She had no choice but to abandon him.

Desperate to squelch the rising panic, Izznet motioned for the dancing girl in the corner. Well aware that she had witnessed all, a hasty note was scrawled.

“Take this to your employer at once. Take my steed.”

Giving the girl instructions and the means to carry out the order Izznet was left with nothing to do but wait. The hours grew long with no word. Closing time for the tavern came and she was unceremoniously requested to vacate.

Returning to the ShadowMoore unfamiliar emotions flooded like a tsunami over Izznet. She went to his home for no real purpose other than hoping perhaps it was a nightmare. The only one she found was John. He was of little help, and in truth more afraid of her than of the news she carried.

The sharp reprimand of not taking the matter to the Rangers stung. How could she ever trust them? They had allowed an attack and an arrest in their city with no objection. According to the shadows, not only were they aware, they had encouraged and arranged for both instances.

A bit of information offered in confidence and trust had been twisted to accomplish an unknown agenda. Perhaps the powers that sat in Skara Brae felt that if the Hand and Penrose killed each other all would be cleaned up nice and tidy without further involvement.

“Avalon! They Took HIM!” her panic was no longer able to be quelled. She needed to hide and rethink. It felt as if she had half of her soul ripped from her body.

“Try to send him visions. It may assist him, and will quiet you.” The advice was sound. She only hoped he would not also hear her soul cry.

The only recourse left was to speak to James.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
My heart weeps, my soul cries, yet through the veil I see his smile. His face is a precious gem. His name is honey on my lips. My feet dance at his command. A faint whisper of his voice and the stars shine brighter.

The darkness surrounds me in the quiet of my own misery. When I focus I can almost feel him touch me. The bond is great and my thoughts must be kept in check so as not to add to his distress. Can he feel the power he wields within this one dark heart?

The Watcher is worried, in truth, perhaps it is with good reason. I cannot feed, the desire is nowhere to be found. Even when offered, I cannot. The brigands will rest easy, for now. The once sweet nectar of a living form is now like dust, unsatisfying and miserable to the taste.

Hear my heart’s cry and return to me my soul. I need him, and I hope he needs me too. I am utterly lost without him.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Waking up another day on the hard stone floor reminded him all too clearly that he was still not free. The gnawing pain in his gut and the dizziness that accompanied each move made him realize that somehow he had been poisoned. It did not take him long to discover the source of the discomforts. Lifting his shirt he took note of the redness surrounding the wound from the encounter in the arena with Skylar.

Examining the gash he became convinced that the weapon used on him had been tainted with a poison. This was not uncommon with some who fight often. A poisoned foe is a weaker one. And making the battle easier on oneself is often desired. Not that Skylar seemed to need any help in that area. The lass was in doubt one of the most effective fighters Aedon had seen in many years. The small vein like tendrils that snaked slowly up his arm was testament to the strength of the poison.

Closing his eyes, he tried to heal the wound, his mind seeking to draw the poison from his body. But he could not focus his thoughts; his mind reeled and spun too violently. Lowering his shirt, he stretched out fully on the cold floor seeking to quell the fever that burned within. As he drifted off to sleep, he allowed his mind to drift to more pleasant times and places.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
“You wish to assist your lover?” Avalon’s question was harsh, but kind. “Allow me to use you. You have the connection. You are the only one who can assist in his time.”

“Of course I want to help him.”

“Then lie still, and find your fire.”

Izznet lay on the short couch and conjured images of the fire that burned between them. His heartbeat echoed with hers as the Watcher stood waiting. When the image was clear and Izznet’s focus was on him fully Avalon knelt at Izznet’s head and placed her talons on either side of her face.

Allowing the image to enter into Avalon and return to Izznet the healing power held within the two women was able to grow. The silver talons coupled with Izznet’s conduit connection were able to help focus energy to Aedon.

The longer they stayed the more healing energy would be able to pass to the intended target. They both knew it, but the acrid sizzle of silver on Izznet’s flesh became unbearable. Izznet’s agony began to wrinkle the bond. Releasing her face Avalon broke the connection, hoping no damage to Aedon was incurred.

“Send him a happy image.”

The command shook Izznet into compliance. Ignoring the pain she sent a single red rose floating in a bath of fragrant water.

“Please, my love, find this healing.” The weak whisper floated like smoke on the breeze.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Images danced before his clouded mind. Faces of people danced in and out of his line of sight -many from his past -some long dead. He tried to stop the spinning sensation, sought to reach out and grab onto something to anchor him and stop the freefall. Multitudes of varying colors flashed and stung his senses, and all the while the echoes of the dying; screaming in agony could be heard.

The poison was doing its job well. He could feel himself slowly sinking deeper into the pit from which most do not return. And without that spark which drove him for so long, with no ties left to the place from which his life sprung he could not muster the strength to open his eyes again, let alone attempt another healing.

As the effects of the sting reached into his mind he felt an unusual calming. His body which had been aching and shivering from time spent on damp cold stone felt a warming which encompassed him making him feel welcome.

He thought he stood in a room filled with light, and on either side of a marbled walkway sat many people he had known. Looking from face he smiled and greeted them as if it were any normal day in Aegis. Stopping for a moment before two of those gathered he bowed low, as he looked again on the faces of Lady Katya and Mika’el. The smile they returned, the simple nods in recognition of him caused Aedon’s heart to leap within his chest. Looking around the room he knew he was home.

Mika’el motioned to a chair near his inviting him to join them in the feast that was to take place. He was not sure why he hesitated to take his seat. It was not as though he had not longed to be in the company of old friends for many years. And yet, as he stood before the place set for him he hesitated and lifted his head as though listening to a voice on the wind.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who is to say what moves a man to make one choice over another? Why do so many follow paths carefully laid before them without thought or question while others choose paths less taken? And on these paths they move alone many times heedless of dangers to themselves, and seeking only a sense of peace that is lasting.

Aedon stood for some time listening to the call of that distant voice. There was within the call a feeling of urgent need, and deep longing. And in some way he could not yet understand, it was pleading with him to turn back from his new path.

In the past Aedon had received such warnings or premonitions before battles. But this was not a call to action so much as a call to peace.

Looking down to where Mika’el sat watching him he again felt the pull to join them at the table. To see Mik again alive and whole and Lady Katya DeCourtney in her full glory seated alongside her long time love was for Aedon, like being home at last. But ever he felt an odd tickle up and down his spine, and each time he moved towards the table again, the call from far off again echoed in his mind.

Within this room was light and friendship. Aedon could feel the welcoming warmth that drew closer to him urging him to be at rest. Looking back towards the door Aedon could see only darkness and pain. And yet, on some level he felt drawn to the shadows.

As he looked through the open doorway he could see silver saplings reaching their long branches towards the portal, their leaves blowing in a beckoning manner. Beyond the trees a cool sunset traced the skies with the outlines of mountains etched dark against the russet backdrop.

Gazing into the sunset he could see a small dot which seemed to be racing towards him at great speed. As she drew closer, Nemira slowed her movements, and landed facing Aedon. Folding her wings around herself, Nemira lowered her head, and as he watched, Aedon saw the small figure of a woman walk through the feathers, stopping a few feet from him.

As she looked at him, the woman smiled warmly and began to speak softly.

“Not yet my son; though I know you tire of the fight and seek now the serenity of lasting rest it is not your time. It is hard I know to know so many lives of men and remember only one childhood fraught with pain and loneliness. But I tell you that it has all been for good always and within you the silma naar burns brightly. And though I look to your coming to my side, and at long last being able to comfort you and wipe away all that you have endured that I too must wait a bit longer. “

Smiling a bit, the woman stepped back towards Nemira who spread her wings to receive her back. As the she vanished from sight she said softly;

“I love you son.”

Looking towards Aedon Nemira gave a loud, almost deafening cry and Aedon found himself standing in Aegis near the pond at the Rest. Walking into the water, Aedon knelt down and closed his eyes -then laying his head back, summoned forth the fire

Sitting up in his cell, Aedon looked around for a moment, then settled his back against the wall, his eyes ever on the staircase.

Last edited:

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
A moment of grace, a moment of peace all that was required was a single moment. To glimpse his face and see his smile brought the worlds together in harmony.

The taunting laugh as he was forced into the darkness, again, was almost more than she could fathom. Numb and weak she had no choice but to turn back. How could he ever forgive her for showing such profound weakness?

The nightmare had to end soon. It always had to end.

James returned her home, as he was requested. She would not allow him to remain, could not allow him to remain. He was interrupting her torment and she wished not to share. Thankful when he left for another task, she retired to her room.

“Find your quiet space and seek his face.”

Avalon’s words were comforting. Opening her eyes, she could indeed see his face. She could feel his skin and hear the heartbeat they shared. Lying back into his embrace reality and dreaming became one.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Whispers on the wind found its way to Izznet. They beckoned her to the Moore. No real good reason was given, merely she was requested.

Arriving at the Moore Penelope took Izznet to her bedchamber and ordered a bath, new clothes and to sit while her hair was done. An evening of pampering was necessary.

“You look like death, and you smell just as bad. How do you ever hope to think clearly looking like That?”

Penelope’s words were sharp but her concern was genuine. Helping Izznet prepare for a bath made Pene’s heart drop. The gaunt look and frail condition of her friend was heartbreaking. There was little to be done that wasn’t already accomplished, but a day to feel beautiful may be of use.

Using fragrant oils and healing petals from the flowers around the house gave the bath an ethereal beauty. Lighting candles gave the bath a cave feel reflecting their gentle lights on the ceiling and wall. Penelope assisted in the bath by helping her weakened friend find refreshment and healing of mind and body.

Lying on her belly wrapped in the embrace of relaxed comfort Izznet waited for Penelope to gather her items. Updating the designs on her skin would be a welcome distraction to the troubles that infested her mind. The others had vanished and she felt the need to remember gentler times.

As Pene’s hands moved artfully across Izznet’s back the design took its graceful form. The ‘tree of life’ spread branches between her shoulder blades, its long trunk stretched to her hips giving roots across her waist and top of her bottom. At the base of her spine a ‘le gra go deo’ knot entwined within the wood.

Along the top of Izznet’s shoulders was one continuous run of knots long swooping arcs connected to one another. Across her collar bones and from elbow to wrist changed to a series of long sweeping ivy vines and flowers. Laying hands out flat Izznet watched the designs of her people mix with those of the one she adored.

When the ink was done Izznet sat to allow Penelope’s fingers to play in her hair. The long white hair had been in a simple braid far too long, and Pene was bored of its look. She was in desperate need of something new.

“When you see that man of yours, you need to give him something to look at!” she chastised.

Closing her eyes conjuring images of his face made the process of being tugged and yanked on bearable. Several hours later tiny braids wove a diamond pattern across her head joining the one long braid at the back. The design was lovely and complicated.

“There, now you are ready to be seen in public again. Please, try to be a little sociable.”

Pene’s concern was heartfelt, and the day of pampering was of benefit. Being sociable, however, was less than appealing.

“I will try, Pene. That is all I can promise.”

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
“To you this offering I make. Look on me with favor. This dance is my devotion.”

Stepping into the center of the ring her body glows with the light of the moon. The wind whips the long white hair like ropes around her. A fire in the center of the circle cracks and pops sending embers heavenward. Devotion to her deity displayed in dance and the low hum of a song.

Lightly stepping into the middle of the ring, dew kissed grass grabbing her feet, she traces the steps of the ancients. Arching back and hands reaching towards heaven to grasp at moonbeams she releases the cry of her heart and soul into the night. Reaching low swinging around followed by long braids of ice white hair her hands pass through the smoke of the fire offering their service to the Dark Maiden.

Arching backwards her hands meet the earth, flipping legs over her body in a slow arc again and again around the circle she closes the circle to the fire. Knowing the kiss of fire and the caress of dew she twists and turns allowing her body to pass through the hot and cold of fire and water. The soft glow of moonlight highlights the damage being done to her body. The sacrifice is seen and understood.

The dance and hymn continues until daybreak. At the steaming sear of sunlight the dance is forced to end. Lightly stepping from the ring, unwilling the moment to pass she clothes herself to cover nakedness from the sun. Resting in the shade of a tree she releases a sigh into the last bit of darkness. Her sacred ceremony is complete, now it is time to wait.

The soft hum of an approach settled over the grass. She had been heard and rewarded with his presence. The wounds she garnered would heal in time, they were worth the sacrifice. He was worth the sacrifice.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I awoke from a dream to find myself on the sofa in Aerlinnbar. The house seemed oddly quiet. Standing, I looked around the room and saw only the cat sleeping close to the fireplace. It seems to be her favorite spot in the place.

Walking upstairs, I looked and called out for Izznet. I though it odd that she would not be there seeing that the sun was already on the rise. A search of the library and roof also gave me no hint as to where she might be.

Heading downstairs, I picked an apple off the tree and decided I would check Shadowmoore. With the Tavern planning to open next month, she might be tending to some last minute details. As I crossed the living room, I noticed a small glowing rune on the floor. It would seem that Izzy had left a trail of bread crumbs for me to follow.

Traveling to the location etched on the stone I found myself standing in the circle where the wisps dance. To the far side, seated under a spreading tree I saw Izznet lounging in the shade. Crossing, I sat on the ground next to her and smiled.

When I asked what brought her to this spot during the light of day she informed me that she had danced through the night offering her moves up to her deity. As she spoke, she tugged her gloves up higher on her arms, but I was able to see the damage already done to her skin. Taking her hand, I told her it might be best if we headed home.

We arrived back at Connemara and sat for a bit in my study. Relaxing a bit, she removed the gloves and I was able to see the full damage done to her. She admitted that she continued her dance even as the sun climbed into the sky.

It was clear that she was in need of my aid, and I willingly offered her what she needed. We even joked a bit about her wishing a fine Irish vintage of wine. Coming to me, she let me to another room, and drew what she needed to sustain her. As she fed, I noticed the healing spread up her arms.

I am not sure what would compel her to take chances. I am sure her god would rather have her whole than dancing in a light which can surely claim her life. I can only hope that whatever she danced for was worth the risk she took.

She is very dear to me, and I could not bear losing her.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
“Hey! Where did all the design work go?” Pene lamented.

“Casualty of the dance, dear.”

“Well that dance stinks!”

The mutterings continued as Penelope disappeared behind the bar. The beautiful scroll work designs that adorned Izznet’s back and hips was a marred mess of ink residue and the scorch marks from the flames.

“Pene, what inks did you use? I do not think they can be used again.”

“And Why not Exactly?”

“This is why…”

Izznet turned to reveal the residue left behind held an eerie silver hue. The marks were no longer humming or steaming on her skin, but the inscription was obvious. Apparently something in the compound of the ink had silver residue in it. The touch of the fire burned the color leaving the base metal behind.

Horrified at the notion of being responsible for Izznet’s scarring, Penelope was desperate to find something to fix what had been done. She even offered herself to aid in healing. Izznet was amused and lightly brushed off the offer.

“There is no need for all that. It will heal, dear.”

Upon closer inspection it was revealed very little of the original design was left. A faint outline of the tree was left, and some of the roots could be seen veining around her hips. The rest was unrecognizable.

“I am so sorry! I can replace it if you want.”

“Let’s let it heal some, then we’ll decide what to do.”