• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New ARC is not available in fel?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IM not sure to understand right now... are there poeple that really argue that reds should not have access to the new content ? Wow, imo, reds should have access to trammel ,ilsh, tok and malas but cant attack others players and cant be attacked, simple like that.

No. There needs to be a penalty for a certain number of aggressive actions over time. Otherwise everyone might as well go red. As it is, "freely attackable" is no different between reds and blues, since blues can be attacked just as easily. Therefore, turning red indicates who starts things.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok they don't have to be exact mirrors, but trammel has expanded more than fel disproportionately to the number of people in trammel. Everyone in my circle of friends plays as red so I'd like to enjoy new content with my fellow paying customers without excluding people.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Mervyn... ya know this is not going to change? I personally do not wish the team to spend the time that would likely be required to make those changes. I do know how it feels to be excluded. This current team does and excellent job at trying to be inclusive. Some things just can not be... accept that and work with it. Yer entire crew could have a "blue team" with a little effort. *tips hat*

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I chose to go red? I'd happily be blue if everyone else was red.

When I did turn red about 10 years ago. I don't remember signing a contract to say that despite paying my subscription and buying the booster expansions I wave my rights to do any new content for the next 10 years.

Yeah i COULD create a blue for trammie stuff but then all my friends have to do the same. I don't get why only blues get to do the new despise and doom, and dreadhorn, and medusa, and now this new arc.

How many quests are there that a red can do and not a blue? I'll answer it for you.

ZERO

I hate to break it to people who like to think of reds as the bad guys, but reds are role players too. UO is colour racist at the moment.

Red power
Merv I have 3 red chars i play over 2 accounts, but a also have 11 blue chars that live and play in fel without having to go red.

You think its fun to kill non PvP character, so there is a penalty for being a Murder and that penalty is not getting to go to tram, its always been that way since the split.

If you dont like it, delete a character and make a new blue that can go places and do things a red player cant do. You dont even have to loose the skills these day, just stone your skills and bank you suit and remake your character blue.

You chose to play the life of a Murder, now you have to suffer the consequences. You know the rules of the game.

Last edited:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a nice thought, but there's too much potential for ganking, if not a guarantee. Every EM event in Fel that I've attended was a complete disaster, without exception, because most people can't PvP well enough to survive the inevitable PK zergs. It's no fun for non-Fel types to spend a while killing monsters, only to get slaughtered.
Anyone who doesn't want the risks associated with Fel has the Tram version to play with. All I want is the Fel option so I can take those risks and play on my facet of choice. I don't want any players feeling bad because they got PKd and didn't like it. EMs will probably always favour Tram, I accept that and don't want them doubling their workload to always cater to Fel. But storyline arcs and quests can certainly be mirrored in Fel and should be. It's not all about the EM stuff.
I don't know what you mean by "sneaking past." If there's a choke point, like at any harrower, reds will lay down fields to prevent that.
Sometimes PvPers block areas with fields, but not always. Some areas aren't suited to that. Other times escape is blocked. You fight and win or lose. I still get out enough times to have fun. It's not as if you can't die in Tram events. Lag has killed me more than any zerg of PvPers ever will.

Wenchy

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Merv I have 3 red chars i play over 2 accounts, but a also have 11 blue chars that live and play in fel without having to go red.

You think its fun to kill non PvP character, so there is a penalty for being a Murder and that penalty is not getting to go to tram, its always been that way since the split.

If you dont like it, delete a character and make a new blue that can go places and do things a red player cant do. You dont even have to loose the skills these day, just stone your skills and bank you suit and remake your character blue.

You chose to play the life of a Murder, now you have to suffer the consequences. You know the rules of the game.
And they are antiquated rules from over a decade ago. The game has changed so much since then, just as the people who play it have gotten older. Sure, there are undoubtedly still those who hang onto the "KILL THE MURDERER" mentality, which is ridiculous.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mervyn... ya know this is not going to change? I personally do not wish the team to spend the time that would likely be required to make those changes. I do know how it feels to be excluded. This current team does and excellent job at trying to be inclusive. Some things just can not be... accept that and work with it. Yer entire crew could have a "blue team" with a little effort. *tips hat*
Your advice is give up on the game?
entire 'crews' can just play other games with a little effort, man's just trying to help a brother out yo.

Changes don't need to be made, the devs are adding new content into trammel unnecessarily, there's no need to put effort into an exclusive system.

isn't doom, medusa, dreadhorn, ilshenar and the elections system enough?
What are the reasons for this trammelisation of the game? Is it just because the devs and their close circle of friends won't goto fel? If so, some people need to get new friends I tell you the truth.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Sure, there are undoubtedly still those who hang onto the "KILL THE MURDERER" mentality, which is ridiculous.
Umm.... no, I think it's more of the "KILL THE MURDERER BEFORE HE/SHE KILLS ME" type mentality. ;)

Seriously though, I like the toggle PvP allowed deal someone mentioned earlier and letting reds hit tram. If they could get it to where it is something that can never be gotten around. I mean heck, there have got to be times to where even a red just wants to hang out and not get attacked at all lol. Leave Fel as it is, give tram a toggle let the reds roam where they wanna. Would be strange and cool to see some of them roaming Ilsh :lol:

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And they are antiquated rules from over a decade ago. The game has changed so much since then, just as the people who play it have gotten older. Sure, there are undoubtedly still those who hang onto the "KILL THE MURDERER" mentality, which is ridiculous.
The game may have had additions to it to it over the years, and I have actively played for 14 of them. The punishment for being a Murder has also changed and eased over the years. I have 3 red characters and I know the rules of the game and enjoy them the way they are.

Lets face it a true PvP char is not geared up for PvM, although a PvP char may be able to do PvM they are not the best at it, just the same as your crafter char is not the best char to take to Doom, you may be able to help kill something but its going to be a slog.

So really a PvP character winging about PvM stuff is kinda wrong...

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone who doesn't want the risks associated with Fel has the Tram version to play with. All I want is the Fel option so I can take those risks and play on my facet of choice. I don't want any players feeling bad because they got PKd and didn't like it. EMs will probably always favour Tram, I accept that and don't want them doubling their workload to always cater to Fel. But storyline arcs and quests can certainly be mirrored in Fel and should be. It's not all about the EM stuff.
All I can say is, good luck finding others who'd prefer to join you instead of doing a Tram event. It's almost always a guarantee that Fel events will be crashed, and of course most players don't want that. So it's not just probable that almost all events will continue to be in Tram, but that they should be.

When one "Lost and Found" pouch location was on a Fel island, I knew it would come down to stealth reds lying in wait for weaker characters. When I went to investigate, they even used a couple of exploits of the time, tracking without the skill, and uninsuring items (I lost my boat key that I had specifically insured before sailing).

Sometimes PvPers block areas with fields, but not always. Some areas aren't suited to that. Other times escape is blocked. You fight and win or lose. I still get out enough times to have fun. It's not as if you can't die in Tram events. Lag has killed me more than any zerg of PvPers ever will.
If it's a forest or other open area, non-PvP chars have a chance to recall/run. But dungeons, as you mentioned, are very easy for event crashers to take control of. Most players don't want to be fish in a barrel, especially when a PK attacks only when a target dips below half life. At least in a non-Fel event, you can run off somewhere and get ressed. And I hardly ever lag. :)

It wouldn't be so bad except that if a few friends and I go on PvP chars to defeat the spawn, then we tend to have a much poorer chance of getting a drop than had we gone on PvM characters.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The game may have had additions to it to it over the years, and I have actively played for 14 of them. The punishment for being a Murder has also changed and eased over the years. I have 3 red characters and I know the rules of the game and enjoy them the way they are.

Lets face it a true PvP char is not geared up for PvM, although a PvP char may be able to do PvM they are not the best at it, just the same as your crafter char is not the best char to take to Doom, you may be able to help kill something but its going to be a slog.

So really a PvP character winging about PvM stuff is kinda wrong...
Not necessarily. I, for one, can PvM just fine on a PvP character, just as I can PvP perfectly well on a tamer. It may take a lot more effort for my Red to do so compared to, say, a tamer (i.e. I can't just stand there and heal while my pets do all the work), but it's not any different. Apparently we have slightly different ideas of PvM, not that there's a problem there - sure, I may not be able to get the best drops because I'm not wearing luck, but for killing monsters, a PvP-oriented suit more than suffices: direct damage, summons, using the dungeon layout, etc.

My tamer may not be geared towards PvP'ing as efficiently, I grant you (no magic resist), but I can hold my own on one, all the same. If I have pets with me, you better hope you can kill me quickly, or it'll turn into a 2v1 or 3v1 in under 3 seconds - in one of my many shard-hopping endeavors (when I sent my Tamer to Legends to farm Doom, long before the Greater Dragons were introduced), I had my White Wyrm & Nightmare go after a guy who tried to kill me in Fel Destard. As far as I remember, he did not last long (two well-trained pets will do that), but he also called for help.

Umm.... no, I think it's more of the "KILL THE MURDERER BEFORE HE/SHE KILLS ME" type mentality. ;)

Seriously though, I like the toggle PvP allowed deal someone mentioned earlier and letting reds hit tram. If they could get it to where it is something that can never be gotten around. I mean heck, there have got to be times to where even a red just wants to hang out and not get attacked at all lol. Leave Fel as it is, give tram a toggle let the reds roam where they wanna. Would be strange and cool to see some of them roaming Ilsh :lol:
Touché. hahaha. As I said before, I'm not that type of player, unless it was a spawn, which is why I ended up going Red in the first place (though killing people at Spawns isn't what made me perma.) If you attack me, I fight back.

And you're right, there are times where I'd like to do things in Tram rulesets on a Red, even just chilling & chatting (which I've done on that char, albeit in Fel, obviously.) I'd be perfectly willing to help people do Fel Spawns on my red too, if they chose to do them (though I admit that having everyone's Energy Vortexes flagging on me is a HUGE pain in the ass. Been there, done that.)

Under the current rules, If I could, I would get rid of my Red status (apparently, Pardons exist, but, at 100+ counts, that's not gonna happen unless I delete the char, which I'm not about to do) so he could travel everywhere, but I already have characters that can do that.

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your advice is give up on the game?
entire 'crews' can just play other games with a little effort, man's just trying to help a brother out yo.

Changes don't need to be made, the devs are adding new content into trammel unnecessarily, there's no need to put effort into an exclusive system.
Nobody's saying to give up on the game. But you're the one who wants the Devs to cater to a very small percentage of the population, not those who have at least one red character, but who don't have any blues at all.

What's so "exclusive" about holding events outside Fel? Who's forcing you to have all red chars? Why don't you get an additional character slot or open another account?

Are the election system and its buffs also "exclusive" in your thinking?

isn't doom, medusa, dreadhorn, ilshenar and the elections system enough?
What are the reasons for this trammelisation of the game? Is it just because the devs and their close circle of friends won't goto fel? If so, some people need to get new friends I tell you the truth.
Because people don't want to go through an entire event, then get ganked by, for example, a bunch of noob stealth archers. As I replied to Wenchkin, my big problem is that PvM chars can't stand up to PvP characters. PvMers might not die, but they're going to have to flee.

You weren't even around before Trammel, when even the quietest shard would still see some people at West Brit Bank in the dead of night. It just wasn't fun for non-PvP people to go to a dungeon, go outside town to chop wood or mine, try to make it from the Brit town limits to the moongate, or even recall to their houses, only to get mowed down. PKs couldn't restrain themselves, so the answer wasn't just nerfing them, but to whisk away their victims.

Consider how bad it was once upon a time, that a 7x7 house with three houses in front (making an impenetrable "courtyard" before minimum space limits) was more desirable than an unprotected castle.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not necessarily. I, for one, can PvM just fine on a PvP character, just as I can PvP perfectly well on a tamer. It may take a lot more effort for my Red to do so compared to, say, a tamer (i.e. I can't just stand there and heal while my pets do all the work), but it's not any different. Apparently we have slightly different ideas of PvM, not that there's a problem there - sure, I may not be able to get the best drops because I'm not wearing luck, but for killing monsters, a PvP-oriented suit more than suffices: direct damage, summons, using the dungeon layout, etc.

My tamer may not be geared towards PvP'ing as efficiently, I grant you (no magic resist), but I can hold my own on one, all the same. If I have pets with me, you better hope you can kill me quickly, or it'll turn into a 2v1 or 3v1 in under 3 seconds - in one of my many shard-hopping endeavors (when I sent my Tamer to Legends to farm Doom, long before the Greater Dragons were introduced), I had my White Wyrm & Nightmare go after a guy who tried to kill me in Fel Destard. As far as I remember, he did not last long (two well-trained pets will do that), but he also called for help.

A true PvPer Like Merv will optimise his char down to the last point for PvP, I do the same with my PvP characters, I will spend hours squeezing the last bit of damage out of my weapons and suit. likewise when i go out and do PvM my characters are optimised for what ever it is im am hunting.

If you read what i said, i clearly said that a PvP char can do PvM just not as well as a dedicated PvM char.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're not going to be as effective as a character oriented toward PvM, particularly a sampire, so you won't do as much damage and won't get the best drops.

Don't you think attackers know to dispatch the tamers quickly, preferably before they realize what's happening? You also don't know how well-equipped that guy was, and it seems he couldn't invis and/or was helped along by other spawn.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A true PvPer Like Merv will optimise his char down to the last point for PvP, I do the same with my PvP characters, I will spend hours squeezing the last bit of damage out of my weapons and suit. likewise when i go out and do PvM my characters are optimised for what ever it is im am hunting.

If you read what i said, i clearly said that a PvP char can do PvM just not as well as a dedicated PvM char.
I play mages almost exclusively (I have dabbled on a Bushido/Chiv Dexer for PvM as well, but I didn't like it as much.) It's not hard to switch for a mage to switch between PvM & PvP if every mod on your suit's geared for PvP (which is not difficult to do.)

You're not going to be as effective as a character oriented toward PvM, particularly a sampire, so you won't do as much damage and won't get the best drops.

Don't you think attackers know to dispatch the tamers quickly, preferably before they realize what's happening? You also don't know how well-equipped that guy was, and it seems he couldn't invis and/or was helped along by other spawn.
Apparently that guy didn't. hahaha. It was quite a while ago though - I think this might have happened in 2005? Either way, pets or not, my tamer's not going to go down quietly, unless you keep paralyzing me (which, as you're well aware, is a death sentence on someone with no resist), though there are ways around that...and from what I've been able to see on TC1 (which, granted, is not representative of the PvP playerbase as a whole), the use of the Paralyze spell is a lost art.

As far as effectiveness/the best drops: yes. I admitted that. Surviving and killing everything, however? It works the same.

Last edited:

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play mages almost exclusively (I have dabbled on a Bushido/Chiv Dexer for PvM as well, but I didn't like it as much.) It's not hard to switch for a mage to switch between PvM & PvP if every mod on your suit's geared for PvP (which is not difficult to do.)

I'm not sure its worth discussing this any further with you as you seam hell bent on not reading whats been said.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure its worth discussing this any further with you as you seam hell bent on not reading whats been said.
Actually, I was responding to this:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No. It really isn't. You go to Fel, you accept that there's a chance you get killed. Personally, I'd leave you alone whether I was on my Red or not, unless you attacked me. Not everyone is like that, of course, but it's essentially the same thing as "OMG, HE'S RED. KILL HIM", which I've dealt with way too often. Two examples of this stick out to me:
Actually very few people who play reds are like that, unless they want to go blue and let someone else attack first. If I see a blue person in Fel, odds are it's not someone who will attack me on a whim or "just because." If I see a red person in Fel, odds are very good that it's a person with no compunction about attacking for little or no reason.

And of course being in Fel accepts the possibility of being attacked and killed. That's why most people prefer Tram. And going back in the circle, the penalty for attacking blues too often is that you're stuck in Fel, and they get to go to any facet they want.

1) I frequently went to Fel Moonglow to bank. I was attacked by MDF ('Glow Defense Force) guys just because I was red. Did I mind? Slightly. Is it so hard to just let a guy do his banking in peace?
Then perhaps you shouldn't have been the aggressor so many times. And why did you keep going back? You could have probably gone to Serpent's Hold, Ocllo, even East Brit Bank and not met a soul. I'd have suggested the Buc's Den bank, but then you might have been attacked by your fellow reds also using it.

2) During one of my many trips to the Yew Moongate, I was fighting one of my friends 1v1. Towards the end of our fight, when I was about to win, a guy (on a blue) jumps in and kills me. This, to me, is FAR more annoying than not letting a Red do his banking.

I know, it's the risks of going Red, yadda yadda, but it's also common courtesy to stay out of a 1v1 fight.
Then perhaps you really, really shouldn't have been the aggressor so many times, don't you think? And don't you think reds have done that themselves? Ganking isn't exclusive to blues.

There's a story I've told before about a couple of my friends, during the very old days of the Notoriety system. One was on a char who was Dastardly, and the other was on a char who was a Dread Lord. They encountered a stranger who asked, "Why are you gray?" My Dastardly friend replied, "I accidentally attacked my friends a few times." The stranger asked my other friend, "Why are you red?" That friend replied, "I accidentally attacked my friends a whole lot of times." Now neither were true, but they still illustrate a point: you know why you turn red, and you know the penalties for turning red. So don't do it a whole lot of times if you don't want to be freely attackable and limited to Fel.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually very few people who play reds are like that, unless they want to go blue and let someone else attack first. If I see a blue person in Fel, odds are it's not someone who will attack me on a whim or "just because." If I see a red person in Fel, odds are very good that it's a person with no compunction about attacking for little or no reason.

And of course being in Fel accepts the possibility of being attacked and killed. That's why most people prefer Tram. And going back in the circle, the penalty for attacking blues too often is that you're stuck in Fel, and they get to go to any facet they want.

Then perhaps you shouldn't have been the aggressor so many times. And why did you keep going back? You could have probably gone to Serpent's Hold, Ocllo, even East Brit Bank and not met a soul. I'd have suggested the Buc's Den bank, but then you might have been attacked by your fellow reds also using it.

Then perhaps you really, really shouldn't have been the aggressor so many times, don't you think? And don't you think reds have done that themselves? Ganking isn't exclusive to blues.

There's a story I've told before about a couple of my friends, during the very old days of the Notoriety system. One was on a char who was Dastardly, and the other was on a char who was a Dread Lord. They encountered a stranger who asked, "Why are you gray?" My Dastardly friend replied, "I accidentally attacked my friends a few times." The stranger asked my other friend, "Why are you red?" That friend replied, "I accidentally attacked my friends a whole lot of times." Now neither were true, but they still illustrate a point: you know why you turn red, and you know the penalties for turning red. So don't do it a whole lot of times if you don't want to be freely attackable and limited to Fel.

I already said why I chose to do so - I wanted the freedom to kill people at spawns without worrying about who I flagged (or didn't flag) on. Not once did I ever complain about the fact that I went Red. However, there's no reason to kill a guy in a town (with, y'know, a guardzone, so he can't be the aggressor anyway, unless he wants to get whacked) just because he's there (I eventually managed to get a rune on the roof of the Glow bank, solving my little dexer problem), nor did I ever mind being ganked - it comes with the territory. I do, however, mind a vulture hovering over prey that's not quite dead yet: the guy in example 2 waited in the guardzone until he saw I was low on health, at which point he took the opportunity to get the easy kill & some justice. Had he gone after me beforehand, I would have turned my full attention on him (likely without it being a 2v1) and killed him.

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've gone on a battle mage, and I just don't do the damage others do, no matter that I'll target the weakest resist. So in the end it doesn't matter: I won't get a drop because a non-combat PvM char will get killed, or I won't get a drop because my PvP char does a fraction of the damage of the sampires and tamers I'm defending.

Apparently that guy didn't. hahaha. It was quite a while ago though - I think this might have happened in 2005? Either way, pets or not, my tamer's not going to go down quietly, unless you keep paralyzing me (which, as you're well aware, is a death sentence on someone with no resist), though there are ways around that...and from what I've been able to see on TC1 (which, granted, is not representative of the PvP playerbase as a whole), the use of the Paralyze spell is a lost art.
For killing a PvM char solo, it's indispensable, though my PvM chars carry trapped crates and a few other surprises when they're in Fel.

As far as effectiveness/the best drops: yes. I admitted that. Surviving and killing everything, however? It works the same.
But surviving and killing everything isn't enough. I'm not going there if the result is the same as standing around on a stealther.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I can say is, good luck finding others who'd prefer to join you instead of doing a Tram event. It's almost always a guarantee that Fel events will be crashed, and of course most players don't want that. So it's not just probable that almost all events will continue to be in Tram, but that they should be.
Well I'd never argue that events shouldn't happen in Tram, only that devs remember to cater to Fel when it's practical to do so. Again, I'm not demanding all the EMs flock to Fel. I just want to see at least the story arc and quest spawns duplicated in Fel and Tram so we can choose. If EMs can do events in Fel too, that's great. Some do manage it and we have players attending and having fun. Other times it goes crazy. But it goes crazy in Tram too at times.
If it's a forest or other open area, non-PvP chars have a chance to recall/run. But dungeons, as you mentioned, are very easy for event crashers to take control of. Most players don't want to be fish in a barrel, especially when a PK attacks only when a target dips below half life. At least in a non-Fel event, you can run off somewhere and get ressed. And I hardly ever lag. :)
Well I've never supported the no recall or champ stuff in Fel since they arrived heh. But this is what I mean by not going to Fel if you're not comfortable with it. I understand it doesn't appeal to all. I don't like that feeling either, but I won't let it stop me using Fel, especially when Tram events bring out the worst players in bulk. I just adapted my tactics and it worked out better than I expected it to. When the choice is there it means we can spread ourselves out a bit to reduce the crowds and enjoy different playstyles/challenges if we want. And it just seems silly when you go to a city and it's totally untouched by an invasion while it's devastated in Tram. When I had more time I ran a RP village in Fel, we'd get all ready to go to sort out these local invaders and doh! Tram only. Then the next story would hit and you'd run into town and the spawn was in Fel. Or right outside your doorstep when you didn't expect it lol. It's frustrating when this inconsistency continues for years and the content could have been put in Fel.

Wenchy

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I already said why I chose to do so - I wanted the freedom to kill people at spawns without worrying about who I flagged (or didn't flag) on. Not once did I ever complain about the fact that I went Red. However, there's no reason to kill a guy in a town (with, y'know, a guardzone, so he can't be the aggressor anyway, unless he wants to get whacked) just because he's there (I eventually managed to get a rune on the roof of the Glow bank, solving my little dexer problem), nor did I ever mind being ganked - it comes with the territory. I do, however, mind a vulture hovering over prey that's not quite dead yet: the guy in example 2 waited in the guardzone until he saw I was low on health, at which point he took the opportunity to get the easy kill & some justice. Had he gone after me beforehand, I would have turned my full attention on him (likely without it being a 2v1) and killed him.

There's every reason for them to attack you. You want to kill anyone you want at a spawn? Very well, then don't complain about tit for tat. If you wish to take advantage of the situation that you can kill someone outside town, "why not," including in greater numbers, then you'll face the consequence of being attacked anywhere, "why not," especially by greater numbers.

And as I said before, it's not like reds haven't done the same with ganks. Part of the lack of PK restraint leading to Trammel is that reds invariably used greater numbers and/or waited for victims to get low on health. Those were different times, when armor was armor and weapons were weapons (with the exception of silver), so there was no differentiation between a "PvP" and "PvM" character. Even with today's differences, it's still fair game for blues to see you and figure that because you killed blues, they'll get you however they can.

I don't suppose Mervyn will chime in to support me here, since he's so fond of pointing out that PvP is not about 1v1.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've gone on a battle mage, and I just don't do the damage others do, no matter that I'll target the weakest resist. So in the end it doesn't matter: I won't get a drop because a non-combat PvM char will get killed, or I won't get a drop because my PvP char does a fraction of the damage of the sampires and tamers I'm defending.

For killing a PvM char solo, it's indispensable, though my PvM chars carry trapped crates and a few other surprises when they're in Fel.

But surviving and killing everything isn't enough. I'm not going there if the result is the same as standing around on a stealther.
Agreed. It's all about efficiency. There are things a tamer or sampire can do better than a mage, unquestionably. Need to kill 5 Dragons in the Cold Blood spawn? Send in a tamer (the sampire probably has no issues either, but I've never been comfortable on melee characters, as I said before.) Need to kill a huge crowd quickly? Sampire or Mage. The game's always had that rock/paper/scissors relationship though - in Doom, Dexers outdamage tamers, who outdamage mages...and just because you can do it (i.e. soloing a Champ Spawn in its entirety, or having a Greater Dragon go toe to toe with "The Burning" guys in Shame) doesn't mean you should, because they take forever. It's just not practical.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually the first thing many blues think when they see a red...

"Hmm..I wonder how many of these fellow blue will help me kill this villainous murderer?"

"Oh well lets see!"

*Bluebie Gate Hugger is Attacking you*

"C'mon guys lets get him!!!"
"Nah"
"We're good"
*Random Stealther* "LOL!!"

"Oh CraPPpPppppp!!"
---Runs!!!

*You have hidden yourself well*

"PHEW!!!!"

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually the first thing many blues think when they see a red...

"Hmm..I wonder how many of these fellow blue will help me kill this villainous murderer?"

"Oh well lets see!"

*Bluebie Gate Hugger is Attacking you*

"C'mon guys lets get him!!!"
"Nah"
"We're good"
*Random Stealther* "LOL!!"

"Oh CraPPpPppppp!!"
---Runs!!!

*You have hidden yourself well*

"PHEW!!!!"
Can't count how many times this has happened to me. They attack (especially when you're already fighting), but as soon as you start dumping on them? They run back to the guardzone - you may be able to go in there freely if you're not flagged as the aggressor, but you can be sure there are at least 5 other blues sitting there who would just LOVE the opportunity to help him kill you.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well I'd never argue that events shouldn't happen in Tram, only that devs remember to cater to Fel when it's practical to do so. Again, I'm not demanding all the EMs flock to Fel. I just want to see at least the story arc and quest spawns duplicated in Fel and Tram so we can choose. If EMs can do events in Fel too, that's great. Some do manage it and we have players attending and having fun. Other times it goes crazy. But it goes crazy in Tram too at times.
Considering how Fel events get crashed and that the behavior is unlikely to change, I don't see why any EM should take time to host any events at all, duplicated or unique. Now I could go for ongoing events, like monsters and NPCs, if those aren't too much work to duplicate. As long as reds have their own sandboxes to play in, and can receive back what they give, I can live with that. It would be nice to see genuine "antis" and not just opportunists.

Well I've never supported the no recall or champ stuff in Fel since they arrived heh. But this is what I mean by not going to Fel if you're not comfortable with it. I understand it doesn't appeal to all. I don't like that feeling either, but I won't let it stop me using Fel, especially when Tram events bring out the worst players in bulk. I just adapted my tactics and it worked out better than I expected it to. When the choice is there it means we can spread ourselves out a bit to reduce the crowds and enjoy different playstyles/challenges if we want. And it just seems silly when you go to a city and it's totally untouched by an invasion while it's devastated in Tram. When I had more time I ran a RP village in Fel, we'd get all ready to go to sort out these local invaders and doh! Tram only. Then the next story would hit and you'd run into town and the spawn was in Fel. Or right outside your doorstep when you didn't expect it lol. It's frustrating when this inconsistency continues for years and the content could have been put in Fel.

Those first few years before Trammel made me used to dealing with the worst playstyles. My first shared house was next to an exploits-wielding PK guild, and my next one was just a few screens down from one of the more notorious cheaters. With the advent of secure entry, we finally experienced the old motto, "Good fences make good neighbors." Still, for the sake of my crafting-only chars, I wasn't truly happy until we got house teleporters. When factions began and I started seeing a lot of reds and blues running past, I realized my favorite house happened to be near the most direct route to a base. On top of that, for quite a long time there was a recall crash bug. With teleporters, my Malas house became the safe satellite to recall to, and the main Fel house became the hub.

But it's a lot different today, because in the old days there were 4x archer-mages that dominated, then 4x warriors and 4x mages. Even my crafters with GM swords and tactics would have enough to deflect a few hits before recalling out. Today it's much more specialized such that a template devastating for monsters, especially one that has a chance to get a drop, has no chance against a specialized PK template.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can't count how many times this has happened to me. They attack (especially when you're already fighting), but as soon as you start dumping on them? They run back to the guardzone - you may be able to go in there freely if you're not flagged as the aggressor, but you can be sure there are at least 5 other blues sitting there who would just LOVE the opportunity to help him kill you.

The difference is that when a blue and red are fighting, and another blue shows up, the blues will team up against the red, whereas when a blue and red are fighting, and another red shows up, the reds will team up against the blue. Change "guard zone" to "house" and it's essentially the same thing.

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Can't you do things in Fel you can't do in Tram as well? So if I wanted to safely go into Fel to do them I'd be at risk and harrased while enjoying that content.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How can a red grief? a red is a red, if you don't like them, kill them. It's blues who grief and hide behind trammel rulesets or guardzones.

My point being, that there was a time when fel was an exact duplicate of trammel, all the dungeons in fel were duplicated to trammel, it was fel first.

Now trammel has expanded, and fel has not. They are supposed to be mirror images of each other.
Lets get some FACTS straight first.
#1 Tram was a mirror image of Fel, not the other way around.

#2 Fel got the BIGGEST game changer in all of UO, it was called PUB 16. Nothing before or after has changed UO so much.

Isn't it funny when stuff happens in Tram you whine about it but when things happen in Fel you say live with it. When you started 10 years ago it was well known what Reds could and could not do so it is your fault, not the DEVs. As you are so well known to say "Deal with it" and now the shoe is on the other foot all I can say is "Deal with it".

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't you do things in Fel you can't do in Tram as well? So if I wanted to safely go into Fel to do them I'd be at risk and harrased while enjoying that content.
Yup. I don't recall seeing Mervyn on Europa for Age of Shadows, at least not under that forum name, and there wasn't global chat to unfortunately introduce us back then, so I wouldn't impute any particular position to him on that; Maybe he does want true equality. But at the time, Power scrolls weren't just some new thing, but were the core of the entire game as experienced. That was how you were to expand your characters to cope with the new content, and some of it actually was the new content itself, namely the champion spawn, and beyond that, the Harrower. But the result was intense resentment that it was being controlled by PvPers, and and that you not only had to PvP but also change mindset too, think in terms of exploits and take advantage of them... It was this attempt to bring back Felucca via the backdoor by gating off content too it, combined with the ill fitting stats-madness attempts to make a Diablo clone that really started the downfall of UO.

So... I'm somewhat sympathetic to the idea that celebratory content like the 16th should be available to all now. I don't think gated communities are a healthy thing in general, and with regards to UO in specific, I can't say that I approve of locking people out of content that isn't inherent to one playstyle or another in nature. Except... well, the people on the red side of the isle spent nearly a decade gloating about Power scrolls, and absolutely refused to share them. If there was a concordant wish that the Harrower was available in a Trammel rule set, as well as Powerscroll drops, I'd genuinely find common ground with this thread; Put the pink SoTs in Felucca too. Make PvP and the Fel push through rules the only unique aspect to that shard and you'd have true fairness... except again, I think we all know the PvPers will never argue for that because it'd would reduce the Fel population even more; it's part of the mindset to both claim to be an Alpha Wolf, alone and above the pack, but to also demand the benefits of the Herd too. To be elitist but demand you not draw attention to how lonely a lifestyle that is.

And that's fine too. No one says you have to play "like a Trammie". But the days when there were even enough Devs to code for lone wolves, much less the innocence and Industry Defining era of experimentation existed and could argue the money was in the wolves are long gone; Next year is the 10th Anniversary of World of Warcraft, which itself was a deliberate rejection of the mistakes Ultima Online made. It's just not a very high concern in many game dev's head any more, and the decade and a half of Ultima Online, and the playerbase it revealed, is in large part responsible for that. Make an argument for true fairness and you might, might get some dev attention (especially if it means a simpler code base) but arguments for selfish access as and when you want only are just going to make people think "Oho, we've heard that one before!" In UO's case... they heard it all the way back in Publish 16, and it didn't work then. Where as locking the PK mindset out of content ... did. Unfair yes, but the sort of unfairness no one really bothers too hard to fix... like homelessness. Maybe they should. But they won't, because the intended recipients are just so damn smelly and difficult to sympathise with. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but those who look like Angels get all the fat.

Ray_Martin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Well... after reading everything I don't see the problem with letting Reds into Tram for content. So long as they have to follow Tram rules while there.

I think Reds actually provide a service these days... I can't imagine Fel being what it is if all the Reds decided to play Trammies.

From an ignorant person looking in...

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know what it was like on other servers, but the PvP guilds on Lake Superior distributed the scrolls they no longer had need for (i.e 120 Magery after everyone in the guilds consumed them), just as they did for the Doom Gauntlet Arties (veteran players will likely recognize the name Danger Powers, who usually grabbed the Inquisitor's every month. I don't know what other shards he was active on in terms of selling though.) I would not doubt that scrolls from that era are still in circulation, but Spawns are far easier to do these days, depending on the shard.

Even back then, you didn't necessarily HAVE to PvP for the scrolls - I remember looking at 120's several times in Luna and thinking "Damn, I want that." Going to Fel for them just sped things up...A LOT. Out of the way places in the Lost Lands, like Terra Sanctum, were the best places to do a spawn - there was only one way in, and it would take time for raiders to get there. Trying spawns in the 5 dungeons was a bad idea, since they're interconnected by teleporters.

Making PvP the only draw to Fel? I'm not so sure if that would affect anything. Spawns no longer need to be done, especially if you've been around for a while, and the pink SoTs are available in Fel as well, as are Replica items. From what guys I fought against back in the day have told me, Factions are the big thing now.

At this point, I don't see why there's content exclusive to one ruleset - I suppose the nature of Champ Spawns and and the PvP'ers dominance (which I took part in) made it "exclusive", but the option to do them was still there, all the same. The new quest doesn't give you that option. You HAVE to play on a Blue character. I don't mind this at all, but that's just me - even when I actively PvP'd, I was, more often than not, on my tamer and training my pets/farming for gold and hoping for a bunch of Pixie Swatters. During Spawns (that weren't Oaks), I was almost always on my red.

The Shame, Covetous, and Wrong revamps? Tram and Fel got them. Tram has the Despise revamp, but that sucks.

Last edited:

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mervyn is not the big bad pk he makes himself out to be, he cant kill **** without 8 friends minimum. Only ****** i know with that big an ego who will still attack you first and run when low.... (4 times in 2mins)

Darkman

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Lol red 10 years ago? So funny i took a break for 7 years and came back recently and before then i never even heard of u and myself and guild prim game play was allways pvp, So i think someone is telling porkys, As for a guild of reds and saying that they all should be red maybe u need to tell the blues u have griefing in your guild and end game that little gem dont forget bob and the others 2!!! Pro guild dismount and traping since aos cause they cant actually pvp !!!

Your posts are so full of holes and bs its 2 funny thxs once again for the laughs though !!!