• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Never thought I'd find myself here

P

Panchex

Hello everyone. (there is a question in here somewhere :eek:)

I first started playing MMOs in 2001 or so when a friend showed me Everquest. At the time I was blown away played EQ for many years. Have also played Everquest 2, WoW, EvE and Lord of the Rings online.

Recently I read somewhere that UO was still going. I'd heard about UO when I was playing EQ as it was what most people considered the original MMO and a lot of people came to everqust from UO. Anyway I was curious to see what the granddaddy of them all was like.

Been playing for a few days on the 14 day free trial and I'm really impressed. I can tell theres a whole load of depth to the game which I dont fully understand yet and I'm just skimming the surface with the Character I've created.

What I'd like to ask is this ... I'm curious as to what the game was like when it first came out, when the shards were really busy with loads of people running about. What was the atmosphere like? Also any good stories would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

R

RichDC

Hello everyone. (there is a question in here somewhere :eek:)

I first started playing MMOs in 2001 or so when a friend showed me Everquest. At the time I was blown away played EQ for many years. Have also played Everquest 2, WoW, EvE and Lord of the Rings online.

Recently I read somewhere that UO was still going. I'd heard about UO when I was playing EQ as it was what most people considered the original MMO and a lot of people came to everqust from UO. Anyway I was curious to see what the granddaddy of them all was like.

Been playing for a few days on the 14 day free trial and I'm really impressed. I can tell theres a whole load of depth to the game which I dont fully understand yet and I'm just skimming the surface with the Character I've created.

What I'd like to ask is this ... I'm curious as to what the game was like when it first came out, when the shards were really busy with loads of people running about. What was the atmosphere like? Also any good stories would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Welcome i hope you decide to stay.

I started playing in the 2nd age (i think almost 8 years ago now) and it was brilliant! No other MMO caught my imagination quite like the freedom you experienced on UO, so many people to chat to and hunt the deepest darkest dungeons with against the never ending hordes of evil!

so many different paths one could take! Be it warrior, tamer, crafter, cook, detective the only thing it missed was the local hookers :p far cry from what it is today yet i still havent found another MMO that can capture my imagination!

Even the way you gain captured me, it actually felt like you were getting better rather than leveling up! it made sense to me the more you use something the better you became. Simply Awesome is how i would describe it!

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i've been playing for 5 years, so don't know what the game was like for the first 6, but it's kept my attention for all 5. i've never ventured off to try any other MMORPG's. i'd suggest creating a char on the Atlantic shard, it's usually crazy busy, especially luna bank and brit bank. not sure what a trial account gives you access to, but if you can get to Malas via the moongates, check out the city of Luna.

R

RichDC

i've been playing for 5 years, so don't know what the game was like for the first 6, but it's kept my attention for all 5. i've never ventured off to try any other MMORPG's. i'd suggest creating a char on the Atlantic shard, it's usually crazy busy, especially luna bank and brit bank. not sure what a trial account gives you access to, but if you can get to Malas via the moongates, check out the city of Luna.
Come to Great Lakes, Atlantic suks lol (joke i wouldnt know never been)

Q

Quinn1969

I've been playing UO for a little over a year now. If you would have asked me even two years ago if I would ever play an on line game I'd have looked at you like you had 3 eyes. I'm intrigued. I can't comment on other games as this is my first and only. I am always learning new stuff. I have a home, I have only 3 characters, it's definately a role playing game that's for sure. I too am on the GL shard and it seems pretty "hoppin". There is another expansion coming out and there are hopes that it will bring with it new life. I keep hearing that UO is dying but the "ole girl" is still staggering around. I'm having a great time meeting new people and doing new stuff. I hope you stick around!! The cost per month is about the same as a movie ticket these days. Talk about cheap entertainment! :)

R

Regi the wicked

I have played many mmos over the last 10 years and I always return to uo. The only one that even competed was never winter nights. I loved how playing someone elses server was always a different experiece. However because it was a persons server there were always loads of problems that never got fixed. Alot of them couldn't care less if they deleted you characters and everything you owned. I also helped run a server for nwn as the head script writer. It was fun to log in as gm and mess with people. But all that aside I still come back to UO. It has changed alot since I started in 2000 but it can still be a great game. Just never take things to serious and remember it is a game.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Cheers
I have many stories from when the game was first launched.

Some of them I have posted here, and some of my guildmates are doing the same.

Here are some links to my story, and that of one of my guildmates.

Keep in mind, both stories tend to go off in a fictional direction...in order to keep the reader entertained...but both stories are written around actual events.

For example, when the world was split into two...it didn't really rain blood, etc.

Hopefully you will enjoy these. Mr Clean did a really, really, good job with his narrative about the old days, whereas I was writting more to tell my backstory and so forth.

This game is full of history...and every shard is different. Atlantic, my home, has always been a pretty full shard, so we have many names and guilds and events that are remembered by many.

Enjoy!

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=114418

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=115141

E

Evinryl Blade

Ah memories. You can't tell with this account, but i've been playing this game since sometime in 1999, I believe? Something like that. Anyway. The first time I ever played UO, I was in Yew. I wandered out, got myself PKed, and wandered around as a ghost for three days. I was so pissed off I was in tears. There was no "young", there was no Trammel. Every time you left the safety of a guard zone, you were taking your life into your own hands.

It was exciting. It was thrilling. It was frustrating.

I found a little tower, not too far away from the Yew moongate, (This was Chesapeake) with a little table of stuff, and a kindly fellow in a brown robe. He rezzed me, gave me some weapons, and gated me to Moonglow, where the PKs weren't nearly so thick.

There was a spirit of cooperation. You had to find friends, else you were going to die. He taught me how to survive, guilded me, and I found friends. I wasn't too far from Pax Lair, and I learned how amazing those folks were.

It was fun. It was challenging. Have a 7X gm meant something.

I miss it. Trammel was the beginning of the end.