• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

need template help

L

Lilly Rain

i don't do a lot of pvp but i am wanting to get more into it... pvm bores me to death these days. but im not sure on what would be best on my template..

this is my current template

magery 120
meditation 110
eval int. 115
90 bushido
80 inscribe
85 resist
90 wrestle

and a skill cap of 705

had the bushido so i could control a hiryu and wrestle to disarm... i really suck at pvp (see cruddy temp above for proof) so i figured if im going to make an effort at it i better start with a good temp. tho id like to remain a mage. any help is great ty.

G

Got a good base to begin with. Easiest thing to train up and go for would be scribe mage:

Mage
Med
Eval
Resist
Wrestle
Scribe

R

Rykus

You need to get inscribe up to 100. Anything less is pointless for PvP since you don't get the SDI bonus until 100.

G

Personally, I'm rather frustrated with my nox mage in pvp. He's good in a synchronized dump on somebody, but otherwise he's mostly dead meat.

As a mage, you always get targetted quickly because you are the only one visible.

The best way to get started in pvp is with a dismounter.
Something like this.
120 archery
120 tactics (90+ is needed for weapon special attacks)
120 anatomy (more damage)
100 hide
75 stealth
120 ninja (not really needed to go this high, but you want to be able to rely on wolf form)
rest in med or focus.

str 125 (max damage), dex 100, int 30

Run with a high HCI, high DI heavy crossbow and max out your hci. You can't dismount if you don't hit. Extra DI is also nice. Learn how to use pots and smoke bombs.

This template allows you to stealth around and take cheap shots. If someone is dismounted, your guildmates can often finish them off. If they are redlined, you will finish them.

It's definitely gimpy, but it can be fun, and it's very survivable.

G

When you first start pvp'ing, the first thing you learn how to do is survive. You're not going to be able to kill many people, but you practice as much as possible on simply how to keep yourself alive (healed). Because of this, I recommend to anyone starting out in pvp, build yourself a defensive template. One that can either:
Heal quickly
Take abuse (tank)
Escape (hide/stealth)

If you want to be able to heal quickly: Chivalry is arguably the best healing method out there, but is slightly nerfed for a mage. You could do the heal/mage template (mage/med/eval/resist/anat/healing). If you play it smart, the only way you can really die is a multiple mage dump, or dismount gank. However, against a dexxer you are pretty much useless because with their high HCI and you're lack of para/disarm, they constantly hit you. In all situations, if things get rough, you run and rely on your bandages to keep you alive and no one can out damage your healing while you are running. Bandages are slow with low dex, so you'd either have really slow healing or would have to sacrifice some STR/INT.

If you want to be able to take abuse: Bushido is probably best due to evasion, but I don't know much about it. As a mage, parry mage would work well. Parry will keep the dexxers and dismounters from hitting you often, again you'd just have to sacrifice offensive firepower and STR/INT to keep your dex up.

If you want to be able to escape, stealth/ninja. Put a minimum 100 hide, 75 stealth, and 50 ninja on any character, and you can get out of virtually any situation. Its an expensive skill proposition, 225 with zero offensive firepower, but the only times you will die is when you want to, when you make a mistake, or when there's a detecter around.

Based on your current template, the easiest way (ie the shortest amount of training time) to get a pvp'able character would be to go scribe mage. 120 mage/120 med/120 eval/120 resist/120 wrestle/100 scribe, rest in focus. All you would have to do is dump bushido, and raise scribe, resist, and wrestle a combined 85 points.

Scribe mages are probably the most popular pure mage template, but they are also one of the hardest templates to play in pvp. You've really got to master spell combinations and timing.

L

Lilly Rain

yeah i had that temp. b4 this one, also i have about 70 hide and 80 stealth in stones. my original temp was to b a scribe mage... i just feel useless with it because i am ALWAYS the first to be targeted..and cant heal due to disruptions unless i want to give up faster casting which means giving up on doing dmg at all... i really want a temp that would allow me to deal good damage and maybe come out alive once in a while.. i like the chiv idea... can i have that and magery without the fc cap on magery coming into play when i cast chiv stuff?