• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need starting advice - fishing

El Burri

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi there,
playing normally on Europa but want to give Siege a try and start from scratch. Want to make a fisherman... but I'm sitting here with no vendor buying and my pole breaking :)
Any tipps how to survive at the beginning?

Thx!

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you will need to do things like create bandages from wool/cotton and sell them to players. Any basic provisions like wood/ingots/cloth. sell them to get a start. there are plenty of places you can mine in a guard zone until you have your magery or other offensive skill(s) to a point you can defend yourself. find an out of the way place to farm things like mongbats, solen workers, or other weak and easy creatures that drop some amount of gold and build up a 20-30k bank to buy poles. Also look up @Shalimar/Cleo to get into NEW, if you have not already done so.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
lso look up @Shalimar/Cleo to get into NEW, if you have not already done so.
This is the biggest part. There is also a Siege Discord that you will find in this forum. Join that for sure. Siege has a lot of good and helpful players and will help get you started. It is kind of tough at first with the skill gain changes but once you get going its not so bad. Plus a real nice thing is that you can gain while playing instead of spending a week doing nothing working a template. Here is the Discord thread which I also made a sticky for easier reference. Public Siege Perilous Discord Server

Rav

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Also note, the vet reward, BG’s fishing pole, is the only fishing pole on siege that doesn’t break. Get connected with Shalimar and NEW will help you get rolling into Siege. It’s a lot of fun and nostalgia like the old days of UO.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A piece of advice I learned the hard way - If doing fishing quests, take one, fill it, do not leave your boat in the water when you finish fishing. It will get sunk and plundered. If you're lucky you might find a book in your hold offering to ransom your stuff back to you. I did :D

Shalimar/Cleo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hi @El Burri welcome to Siege. I looked for you on Siege discord but can't see you there, even asked two players I added to NEW this afternoon if either of them happened to be you, but no joy. I can help you with fish poles or whatever you need to get started. Please if you can join our discord and send me a message there? Or let me know the best time to see you in game (I'm UK timezone)
PS @DreadLord Lestat, thanks for making the Siege discord thread sticky.

El Burri

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi @Shalimar/Cleo and thank you for your kind offer! At the moment I want to try it the hard way and earn my poles myself... so I'm hunting mongbats and try to get my hiding up in the land around britain - and of course get whacked from time to time by companions, who obviously don't like newcomers on Siege as much as you do.
Might sounds crazy, but right now I enjoy starting from scratch and earning 30 gp from every bat
If I ever get stuck or need help, I would be happy to come back to your offer and knock on your door :)

Shalimar/Cleo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Righto @El Burri as long as you know you don't need to struggle to get started. As you're fishing etc. around Britain, I dropped some fish poles on a vendor named Orla at NEW house for you, free of course, just in case you're over at East Brit along the water edge and get caught short without a pole, har.
We all want newcomers to Siege to stay and give us a chance.