• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need New Mining Buff :)

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make it an item because goddamn are all my crafters tightly packed on skills already. (And don't say "Hurf durf just use soulstones" because a $10 option isn't.)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
A +10 platemail gauntlet would be pretty cool to have.
Add a +5 kilt/apron on top of that as well and then maybe we wouldn't be burning off so much ore when smelting.

Last edited:

Enziet

Journeyman
This would be helpful. Maybe with this "new expansion" they are working on we can see a bit of a revamp of some of the crafting skills? Maybe add some more Ores into the game for different coloured armors and then buff Mining skill level ? One can dream....

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to see another item that increases the Mining skill. Currently, we have a max of 105.0 with the mining gloves. It would be cool to have another increase in Mining - whether it be from items (gloves, shovels, etc) or power scrolls.

Thanks!
I just wish that mining gems was an actual option. They need to drop in stacks rather than one at a time.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Make it an item because goddamn are all my crafters tightly packed on skills already. (And don't say "Hurf durf just use soulstones" because a $10 option isn't.)
Then make a few single use soulstones.

Something needs to be done with mining. When your best ore resources are not from mining there are serious issues. @Kyronix am I wrong or shouldn't our best option for getting ore be our miners? Currently it is not.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Actually, I agree with most everything in this thread. My miner is GM using +5 gloves and would love a bit more power. The idea of perhaps stackable buffs (+5 gloves and a +10 kilt?) is a good one.

Allow shovels and picks to be set to gems only, ore & gems, ore only, stone only, ore & stone. The ones in bold should be added. Gems only could allow mining up these for imbuing.

I personally would love to see a better shot at getting high-end ores (and lumber too!!). It is rare that I can get a vein that will supply verite or valorite and the yield on these is pitiful.

@Tyrath - I whimper every time I have Verite or Valorite as I know I'm going to lose half of these even at the highest level snithing I can get. I'm with you on this one!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, I agree with most everything in this thread. My miner is GM using +5 gloves and would love a bit more power. The idea of perhaps stackable buffs (+5 gloves and a +10 kilt?) is a good one.

Allow shovels and picks to be set to gems only, ore & gems, ore only, stone only, ore & stone. The ones in bold should be added. Gems only could allow mining up these for imbuing.

I personally would love to see a better shot at getting high-end ores (and lumber too!!). It is rare that I can get a vein that will supply verite or valorite and the yield on these is pitiful.

@Tyrath - I whimper every time I have Verite or Valorite as I know I'm going to lose half of these even at the highest level snithing I can get. I'm with you on this one!
Kind of pathetic that I mine merch ships for Verite and Valorite rather than caves or mountains and get a much larger return for time invested. And NO the Void Pool is NOT the solution to our ore and lumber problem.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL you can stealth around picking the ore up at the iron beetles and have better odds than mining.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I recently dusted off an old miner, and like the idea of some additional +skill mining items. A new pick axe or something (maybe even in UO store?) would be decent idea here.

Also - what about a special forge and anvil with blacksmithy bonus? ;)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something that should have been done literally over 15 years ago. Mining is the only resource you can "screw" up while collecting it and have your total cut in half. It's dumb.
Never thought about it that way, wonders why we don't lose half our frost wood and bloodwood when whacking it into boards.....Should not say that..... they might implement it :(

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never thought about it that way, wonders why we don't lose half our frost wood and bloodwood when whacking it into boards.....Should not say that..... they might implement it :(
This has been asked many many times and IMHO the smelting rate is so deeply embedded in the old code that they do not know how to fix it where all the other resources are new compared to ore. The only way to fix it would be better + mining gear, maybe something to consider when they do the BOD revamp.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This has been asked many many times and IMHO the smelting rate is so deeply embedded in the old code that they do not know how to fix it where all the other resources are new compared to ore. The only way to fix it would be better + mining gear, maybe something to consider when they do the BOD revamp.
This is probably true. My first days in UO were spent mining and smelting, and changing the success rate of smelting is one of those areas where as much as it annoys us to lose ore, it begs us to ask: do we want them to mess with the code and possibly end up with something worse than before?

Let us also not forget, there are the Void Pool rewards that give bonuses to smelting percentages... so they must have atleast some knowledge of how they can replicate something similar.
Covetous Void Pool reward - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is probably true. My first days in UO were spent mining and smelting, and changing the success rate of smelting is one of those areas where as much as it annoys us to lose ore, it begs us to ask: do we want them to mess with the code and possibly end up with something worse than before?

Let us also not forget, there are the Void Pool rewards that give bonuses to smelting percentages... so they must have atleast some knowledge of how they can replicate something similar.
Covetous Void Pool reward - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia
That is why I said items or even a 120 mining scroll from BODs, to go into the code and make it Val %100 at 105 would be to great a task. Please do not mess with the OLD code. The Void pool is ingot for ingot to ingot not smelting and the ratio for Ver to Val is 3 to one so not only do you lose half or better smelting now you lose 2/3 converting it, NO TY.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would not a mining bonus or 120 scroll be linked to that old code as well since it all comes back to success/failure chances.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I may have hard time trying to make room for more skills lol. people may benefit from some of the ideas but the scripters will gain the most from suggestions. until they make mining and other resource gathering dangerous, in other words, if your not there while gathering, u die. is there anything out there that can kill u? nothing they do will help the honest player compared to the scripter. seems like some of what people are asking can be attained from void pool. unsure if a waste of devs time, or will destroy another area of the game.
I'm waiting to see what the dev will do with bods system. will they make it for the bod script filling or make it where u must be there. making it a point system will screw all non cheaters, again. at least now cheaters have to do some bribing lol. as a non cheater, I already know I will get screwed again. just my opinions.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I may have hard time trying to make room for more skills lol. people may benefit from some of the ideas but the scripters will gain the most from suggestions. until they make mining and other resource gathering dangerous, in other words, if your not there while gathering, u die. is there anything out there that can kill u? nothing they do will help the honest player compared to the scripter. seems like some of what people are asking can be attained from void pool. unsure if a waste of devs time, or will destroy another area of the game.
I'm waiting to see what the dev will do with bods system. will they make it for the bod script filling or make it where u must be there. making it a point system will screw all non cheaters, again. at least now cheaters have to do some bribing lol. as a non cheater, I already know I will get screwed again. just my opinions.
To hell with restricting the progress of the game for fear of scripters. Scripters will never be completely removed from the game no matter what the devs do. We should still be able to have cool things added without limiting what can be done due to fears of scripters getting an advantage. As far as mining goes, the ore veins are random now, so there is plenty of room and places to mine. So, it is not like we are competing for anything versus cheaters..

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything they have done to date regarding resource gather has been to the scripters advantage. Most notably the changing resource locations. Used to be you knew which trees and ore spots were the high ores and woods. And you camped them in fel and killed the scripters. Tram side you lured whatever spawn to kill or disrupt them. Put a crate on their recall spots find their houses and cover the porch front with crates to block the recall. Etc. Best of all you could mine and LJ and collect good amounts of any ore you wanted or needed once you located them. Now only the scripters mine and LJ seriously running 23/7/365 and have little to no competition. Thet simply collect in volume and hit enough randomly to make it worthwhile. And yes scripters would risk fel back then for the double resources. They still do but you got no idea where to find them now days.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Gargoyles need something to increase Mining too since they can't even wear the (&(*&()*& gloves... they were supposed to get something if I recall and then they decided not to..... or some such but whatever... I agree it could use a boost but I don't want to raise mining to 120... items would be better.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gargoyles need something to increase Mining too since they can't even wear the (&(*&()*& gloves... they were supposed to get something if I recall and then they decided not to..... or some such but whatever... I agree it could use a boost but I don't want to raise mining to 120... items would be better.
Yeah, I'd prefer item bonus too vs. a powerscroll.

Enziet

Journeyman
I especially love the idea of a GM or greater not loosing ore during smelting. I mean your 100% proficient in your skill, you would think by now you would have figured out how to not loose ore in the process. The forge bonus, make it a super rare BoD drop or something. That would be cool.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How about a reward title that once is earned via some mining quest that give a 100% success rate on smelting.... Be kind of neat to a have a title that actually means something and is useful.
As long as that quest was geared towards a miner and not some dumb fighter quest.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I especially love the idea of a GM or greater not loosing ore during smelting. I mean your 100% proficient in your skill, you would think by now you would have figured out how to not loose ore in the process. The forge bonus, make it a super rare BoD drop or something. That would be cool.
A 120 Smith with a 105 Miner should never lose 1 oz of ore. Isn't it strange a Tailor can sew with hides or leather and a Carp can work with boards or logs but a Smith can only work with ingots.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A 120 Smith with a 105 Miner should never lose 1 oz of ore. Isn't it strange a Tailor can sew with hides or leather and a Carp can work with boards or logs but a Smith can only work with ingots.
My miner smith has GM mining plus +5 gloves. His smithing is currently 110+ with a 115 cap, but wears a tali with 21% exceptional increase and 11% blacksmith. That puts him essentially at 105 Mining, 115 cap on Blacksmith. He loses verite and valorite (one half) every time he smelts. I get really psyched when I dig the ore but dread that moment at the forge.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My miner smith has GM mining plus +5 gloves. His smithing is currently 110+ with a 115 cap, but wears a tali with 21% exceptional increase and 11% blacksmith. That puts him essentially at 105 Mining, 115 cap on Blacksmith. He loses verite and valorite (one half) every time he smelts. I get really psyched when I dig the ore but dread that moment at the forge.
I said SHOULD not it does

Last edited:

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Keep mining at 100, but add items to boost the level.
A special talisman to use that gives 80-100% more chance of not losing a single ore, can be a BOD reward, an item you buy from store or a drop in elven city or something. If you are worried of making it too OP, then have it with charges of a 100 and then you need to get another one, so creates some gameplay also!
Tho if we were to put this is real life terms, some ore is always lost when melting, but shouldn't be half of what you smelt.