• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need help to catch up on competitive mage template for pvp. Iv been gone for 6 years

T

Templar1

Hello everyone

like I said in the title, I just got back to the game after 6 years. Im kind of lost on everything that is news. I mainly miss this game pvp and I need to catch up.
My character is currently 7x GM, Magery,eval int, med,resist,wrestling,healing
and focus

What change should I do in my stats to be competitive now ? Iv heard of Parry mage? What 125 scroll should I buy and what should I decrease? I dont know anything about necromancy or spellweaving

Thats for the stats, Its the first thing I need to know if I want to start playing. Any other tips on items I should get or anything?

I need the help Im lost :p thanks in advance!
Templar/Catskill

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Parry mage is good for group fighting in an open area against dexers/archers.

Necro mage is better for dungeon fighting, faction raid/defense, and against other mages.

Parry mage - Mage/Med/Eval/Resist/Wrestle/Parry. Preferably 120 across the board.

Necro mage - Necro/Spiritspeak/Magery/Med/Eval/Resist. Preferably 120 across the board and use a mage weapon.

Another necro mage template, if you can't afford a 1 handed mage weapon and you can't afford 120 scrolls is:

115 Mage
115 Eval
115 Resist
110 Necro
100 Spirit Speak
85 Anatomy
80 Meditation

[(Eval + Anatomy) / 2] + 20 is the formula for natural defense in place of a weapon skill or wrestling. So this would give you the equivalent of 120 wrestling (but without the special moves).

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, if you're coming back after a long break and aren't familiar with any of the new skills I'd definitely suggest going parry mage until you get your timing back.

T

Templar1

thank you for your advice Lynk

I think ill go Parry mage like you advice
This way I wont lose too much skill cause I know nothing about the new skills and I wont have much to change exept 1 skill and some other to raise.

Any new items that are a must to get ? Iv heard about some vet reward that give you uncalculated skills ? I dont understand much what he told me about it.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Templar, if you have soulstones or soulstone fragments, you can stone off the skills you don't want and save them on the stones for later use. In this way, they aren't lost, but "stored" for future use. FWIW.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, if you're coming back after a long break and aren't familiar with any of the new skills I'd definitely suggest going parry mage until you get your timing back.
Dang Lynk, there goes your tough guy routine! I knew you were a softy!

Welcome back to the game Templar! It is always nice to see a returning person to UO!

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Err... I mean..

Take your newb self and tame a dragon. I hear miasmas keep some ppl busy. Otherwise you can play a stealther like all of TB.

S

Saleena

Dang Lynk, there goes your tough guy routine! I knew you were a softy!

Welcome back to the game Templar! It is always nice to see a returning person to UO!

Shhhh.. Ara you weren't Suppose to blow his cover!:twak:

H

Hell Raiser

Welcome back Templar:
I have a similar question to decide on.
I have had houses in fel for a long time but have not done much PvP over the years, comparitively. I recently joined a Faction and was told that most archers in PvP are now stealth ninja...I already have created a stealth archer but he has 115 anatomy not ninjistu and I don't see me switching either, he is fun the way he is, but I could interchange stealth with parry from time to time.:spider:

I also was told that the necro/mage is the craz in the field now and when I asked the reply was that wrestling was out unless dueling... too bad as I had 120 on my main mage char.

I have taken a template I saw in another page of this forum: eval//meds//inscribe//magery//parry...was going to go with resist ((need 2.3 to 120the skill)) but now Lynk says that w/o wrestling I should have anatomy???
Perhaps should I go back to ;
Eval//meds/magery//inscribe//resist//wrestling (120 in all/GM inscribe), or would the parry mage ((insert parry & cut inscribe)) be best for PvP? he has used a 115 parry PS but not used an anatomy PS
This mage also can handle 120 SW ...used mainly for peerless fighting.
thanks ahead of time

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You need to have some sort of defensive skill. Mage weapons are nice because you can make crazy templates but disarm/archers just destroy you.

As for the mage template without resist, always a bad idea. Using mana is your only defensive means to live, if you get mana vamped your kind of screwed.