• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Necro-Mage temp question

• Thread starter StaticOnAtlantic
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

StaticOnAtlantic

So heres the deal 10 years playing on and off, And ive never had a pvm char, I know I know Im crazy right?:gee:

thinking of doing

Mage/Necro
120 Mage
120 Eval
120 Med
105 Necro
120 SS
120 weave? OR resist? Im lost

rest into focus?

This is coming from a noob at this end, What armor type should I roll? Should I go with Arti set up or custom suit? Money isint an issue.

Thanks In advance!

R

ReaperNI

120 resist no question. and i run a custom suit with a cc and folded steel orny and a imbued ring with treatise of alchemy as my tali. TYR (yes my arties are faction so might be a bit harder no factioned.)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Resist for PvP, weaving for PvM. Resist is negligible in PvM: weaving will give you better survivability and damage output. If you want to PvP, you can always use a soulstone to swap between weaving and resist (that’s what I do, anyway).

Tyr’s faction arty suit is optimal, but will require you to be in factions (obviously). Ideally, you want 100 lrc, 40 lmc, 6+ mr, 2/6 casting (possibly 4/6 for weaving), 45 dci (70 dci for PvP), +20 mage skill (to use a mage weapon), and 60s resists (higher fire/poison for PvP). Here are a couple examples:

Expensive Suit Example

Artifacts - Folded Steel Reading Glasses, Armor of Fortune, Inquisitor's Resolution, Crystalline Ring, Ornament of the Magician, Quiver of Infinity, Arcane Shield, Cloak of Death, Crimson Cincture, Scrapper's Compendium

Runic/Imbued Items - Gorget, arms, legs, -20 mage weapon

Less Expensive Suit Example

Artifacts - Kasa of the Ra-jin, Pendant of the Magi, Rune Beetle Carapace, Stitcher's Mittens (elves only), Chaos Museum of Vesper Shield, Scrapper's Compendium

Runic/Imbued Items - Arms, legs

Custom Jewelry - Ring and Bracelet with remaining fc/fcr

For using a mage weapon, another options is to wear an imbued +15 mage ring and the Alchemist tally (with +5 mage).

S

StaticOnAtlantic

what should I look for in a -20 mage weapon? Like hight lightning and hit mana?

G

GreekHero

Resist for PvP, weaving for PvM. Resist is negligible in PvM: weaving will give you better survivability and damage output. If you want to PvP, you can always use a soulstone to swap between weaving and resist (that’s what I do, anyway).

Great suggestions and equipment included! This template with spellweaving instead of resist can it solo a champ spawn?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
what should I look for in a -20 mage weapon? Like hight lightning and hit mana?
Well, a basic imbued model with look something like this:

-20 mage weapon
Spell Channeling
15 defense chance increase
40+ hit lightning/fireball

Lightning hits instantly, fireball hits with a delay. Fireball can be nice for revealing stealthers right after they hide, but for some reason I've always preferred lightning. Up to you.

Some folks also look for mana or stamina leech, but since the weapon's primary purpose is defense and you won't be dealing much damage, the mana/stamina you leech is pretty negligible, I think.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Great suggestions and equipment included! This template with spellweaving instead of resist can it solo a champ spawn?
Hmm! I've never tried soloing a champ spawn with him. My guess is that it would depend on the spawn. I defer to my more knowledgeable/experienced colleagues on this question.

S

StaticOnAtlantic

So when Should I equip my Scrappers compared to by wep?

Or should I just rotate them?

Thanks for everyones help. I built the Expensive suit :) I cant go cheap lol, and it helps to be gm imbuer.:gun::gun::gun::gun::gun:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The mage weapon and dci will improve your chances of avoiding melee attacks, but the scappers will increase your spell damage and casting speed. I would use the mage weapon whenever you are withering low-level spawn: cast earthquake to aggro everything and, once you're surrounded, wither away. The mage weapon will help you avoid being interrupted as often. I would also use the mage weapon during PvP encounters.

In contrast, I would switch to scappers for high-level mobs to increase your spell damage and to allow you to cast Word of Death (if you chose weaving) more quickly. Typically, it's easy to avoid the melee attacks of peerless, champions, Slacher, renowns, etc., so your defense is less important in these instances.

S

StaticOnAtlantic

I totally went the PVM side and took all of your advice

Temp is going to be ;) Alot of the skills I have soulstoned so I should be good.

120 Mage
120 Eval
120 Med
105 Necro
120 SS
120 weave

Suit:
Folded Steel Reading Glasses, Armor of Fortune, Inquisitor's Resolution, Crystalline Ring, Ornament of the Magician, Quiver of Infinity, Arcane Shield, Cloak of Death, Crimson Cincture, Scrapper's Compendium.

My resist are 62 and above So Im very happy about everything.

should be fun! Off to train weaving! wooho

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
That's a hot suit. :thumbup1:

S

StaticOnAtlantic

I know I know, I figure it this way, Its like giving a 13 yr old a Lambo, You know he has no idea how to use/drive it, you know hes going to crash it, but steer clear of him (no pun) and everything will be okay!:gee:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
S

Stormbringer127

I have been building pretty much the same template as a 2nd character over the last few weeks. only at 114.3 weaving though rest is done. fixing to work on my suit. so the info here on suits was a good deal of help.

I do have three other questions though. how important is the SDI. i cant afford a Crystalline or orny. so when imbuing up some rings do i do 12sdi on both of them? or fc/fcr? was thinking DCI/SDI/FC/FCR/MR bracelet or is there something better i should be shooting for? and what should i do for a ring?

2nd: should you could the scrappers/vesper shield (or arcanist shield) when counting up your fc/fcr? or since you can get disarmed/weakened not come them on my tamer my vesper shield falls off all the time. and with counting the scrappers fc/fcr what happens when you switch to slayer spellbooks? your not slow?

3rd: since i haven't really played with this toon yet. going to be mostly using him for champ spawning with friends. only played with a few necro/mages on my tamer i dont realy see what they are doing most of the time looks like they just run around in wraith and wither/ev.

should you stay in wraith form almost all of the time? and EQ to gather then wither/ev to kill? what other useful stuff to use to help the group my tamer/disco/mage is pretty simple all kill, disco, invis sit around over and over.

edit: whats the opinions of elf vs human here. not counting nightsight.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
All three of your questions are good ones. Though, I suspect that every player may answer them differently.

1. In my view, the most important stats are 100 lrc, 40 lmc, 2/6, 6+ mr, 45+ dci (if you're using a mage weapon, wrestling, or anat/eval), 60s+ resists. After that, you can decide whether you want to add sdi, more resists, more mr, etc. Since you can't afford an orny/crystalline, just stick with imbued 1/3 ring and bracelet set (2/6 total). That'll be just fine.

2. I use a mage weapon for defense, but if you have a 1/3 ring and 1/3 bracelet, you wouldn't need to worry about the fc/fcr on your shield/book. This would also free you up to use slayer spellbooks.

3. For lower level spawn, I stay in wraith form and wither. As things heat up, I'll mount my ethy and focus casting EVs and mage spells. Finally, once the champ spawns, I return to wraith form and cast mage spells and WOD.

S

Stormbringer127

Cool thanks for the info great help.

Now if I could decide between human and elf

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Hmm, yeah. Personally, I chose elf for the 20 extra mana, but some prefer human for jack of all trades.

S

StaticOnAtlantic

What stats would you suggest for this build?
Stats

I have right now (ELF) Is

str-128
DEX-10
INT 155

Thats what my gear is, I did make one adjustment, I did buy a tangle & cloak of augmentation. then with that armor I imbued plus my dagger I made and Imbued,all with 62 resist and above, I think im good to go. :gee:

T

The_Traveler

Thanks.
Sounds like you are ready to kick some pixels.

Remember, the AI isn't as cunning as the combatants you are accustomed to. ;)

S

StaticOnAtlantic

yeah the AI I have dealing with has been calculating armor STR etc so this is a different game :) I hit up the abyss yesterday It was a blast.

S

StaticOnAtlantic

Basicly I look like a mess of key mashing, Still trying to figure out key combos, I mean I have 4/7 casting (I know Cap 4/7) but it still seems like its slow, I take it im not a solo type char, lol. I need a guild syrus *wink wink*

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Macros
I dunno if it'll help, but here are the macros I use:

F1 - Heal
F2 – Greater Heal
F3 - Cure
F4 - Invisibility
F5 - Fireball
F6 - Lightning
F7 - Mind Blast
F8 - Energy Bolt
F9 - Explosion
F10 - Flame Strike
F11 - Earthquake
F12 - Poison
Shift + F3 - Arch Cure

` - Spirit Speak
1 - Energy Vortex
2 - Mass Dispel
3 -
4 - Wither
5 - Poison Strike
6 - Pain Spike
7 - Strangle
8 - Corpse Skin
9 - Evil Omen
0 - Blood Oath

Mouse Wheel Up - Target Last
Mouse Wheel Down - Target Self

I also have a number of spells on my desktop:

Combos

As far as combos, it helps to know the lowest resistance of your opponent. Some common ones I use are:

Fire Damage
Corpse Skin, Explosion, Flame Strike, Fire Ball, Fire Ball, etc.

Poison Damage
Corpse Skin, Poison Strike, Poison Strike, etc.

Evil Omen, Poison (bumps poison to greater)

Energy Damage
E-Bolt, Lightning, Lightning, etc.

Soloing

Be sure to take advantage of EVs for tanking. This will allow you to be more of a solo character. Also, don't forget to take advantage of wraith form for leeching mana, not to mention attunement/gift of renewal for increased viability.

When fighting higher-level creatures, stay mounted and use the hit-and-run approach: pre-cast off screen, run to enemy and use the spell, then run back off screen to cast. When I first started learning this toon, I watched a YouTube video of a mage soloing a DF. Seemed to help me.

Guild

I'll be on ICQ. Hit me up sometime: 449-310-493.

S

Stormbringer127

So going with the expensive suit we are talking about you have three pieces to imbue. So first you have to finish up your lrc that's a no brainer. Next I was thinking lmc but do I take into account the 10 from scappers even though sometimes I'll be using Mage weapon or slayer books? Or do 40lmc on the suit?

After that what should I worry with when imbuing? Top out resists? Add more mr? Add int? This is where I'm at a lose along with weather to count the lmc on scappers?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Me, I chose to try an' fit my lrc/lmc on my suit. I like the fact that I can hold only a mage weapon (leaving 1 free hand for pots) and still have all desired nods. This also gives me the freedom to switch between slayer books without having to worry about other mods.

Then again, others might feel differently.