• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Necro/mage question.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a mage that has an extra 50 or so points to play with, she's 120 mage, spellweaving and med and 115 evalint, (at least until i find another 120). I keep hearing necro would be a good thing to add. Question is though. Do you have to add SS as well or can you just operate necro without it?

If some of you don't mind sharing a few Templates with me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Oriana

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Most of the spells require both, near as I can remember.

You'd about be better off adding 50 spirit speak to heal from your kills, and if you want to cast necro stuff, raise your skill through items alone (Bloodwood Spirit, necro jewelry) to about the same level.

Personally, I'd find 50 Chivalry more useful. Put some gold into tithing, and you have
1. the ability to heal & recall without regs or LRC, after taking a dirtnap and getting rezzed
2. the ability to remove curse
3. a faster means of curing than arch cure, that is more powerful than normal cure
4. if you hold one of the -0 mage weapons, it will also boost your self-defense/last-ditch attack abilities with consecrate weapon and divine fury to refresh your stamina and give more HCI.
Plus, your LRC applies (as long as you keep the minimum tithing to cast the spell once), as well as your LMC (at 40% LMC remove curse takes only 12 mana, and the 30-40 point healing close wounds only takes 6 - compare that to the same healing from a couple normal heals for similar mana)

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am wondering what your other skills are. You got Magery, Spellweaing, Eval Int and Meditation. Thats 480 skillpoints. With the 50 free thats 530. Still some points missing.

But one possible template would be

Magery
Eval Int
Meditation
Spellweaving
Necro
Spirit Speak

or

Magery
Eval Int
Meditation
Spellweaving
Resisting Spells
Inscription/Chivalry
if Chivalry rest Focus

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry Didn't think about the others.
Blonde moment.
She's 120 Mage SW and med (with spellwoven britches, 115 natural), 115 eval (waiting for that 120) 100 inscript and then my iffy ones 100 focus and 50 Resist spells.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Ori

H

Hunters Moon

Here is my Necro/Nox Mage template that I do very well with in PvM.

Mage 115
Eval 115
Med 115
Necro 115
SS 115
Poisoning 100

I am waiting for 120's as well. Thats why my template isn't finished completely.

Setanta

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Necro requires bad carma to be very effective. This can be a problem if you ever have to be around Pixies. While it does seem to add a little to some spells, the main value of SS is to heal. You can do that just as well with magery. As was mentioned, Chivalry might be a better shoice, especially if good carma is important to your char.

S

Still Frame

mage
eval
med
necro
spiritspeak
spellweaving
scribe

Very hard hitting or drop scribe for resist (i hate playing a char without resist)

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
take that 50 spare points and put it all into wrestleing!!! you will love the added defence it provides you with while useing a scrappers or a good spellbook!! free up another 20 points and you can disarm players and ninja alike (good for trav runs them ninja are quite useless once thier weapon is gone) no you wont need tactics!! mage without wrestle needs a mage weapon or they will get hit alot (depending on your avoidance of monster skills of course) but if you are sick of allways running away try out some wrestleing skills *ps* Defencive wrestle is neet also which is 1/2 your eval and anat skill combined to give you a defencive wrestle its neet but i like pure wrestle over getting anat!