[Gardening] Naturalist Quest - What am I missing ?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 3, 2007
The Netherlands
Hello Fellow Gardners,

I have been away for like 3 months, broken HDD, changed ISP & the Holidays ...

Been back a week or 2, and started doing the Naturalist Quest for the B&W seeds.
As I understood (till today that is) was that the B&W seeds from this quest should give seeds for the "New Style" plants.

Imagine my face today when I saw the first two bloomed into .... a white campion and water plant ...

I have been questing alot the past week and still have like a 30ish B&W's growing, but I did this with in mind I would get the New Styles.

So ... my question to you all is ...
What am I missing here, did something change, or am I "bugged"?

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 27, 2008
Buccaneer's Den
It's a bug that came in with the last patch. The B/W seeds are giving legacy plants instead of the new peculiars. It should be fixed in the next patch.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 3, 2007
The Netherlands
It's a bug that came in with the last patch. The B/W seeds are giving legacy plants instead of the new peculiars. It should be fixed in the next patch.

Thanks for the info !!

But ... oh poo ... that's a lot of time and fertile dirt I used thinking I was getting something else.

I totally missed this info ... I guess I didn't read this forum back far enough to be updated on this.

Ah well ... I guess I will get alot of B&W legacies then :lick:

F

Flora Green

There's a poll further down about this. I don't think Sak has told us what she decided to do about the bug, but she gave us the opportunity to chime in. When you read the poll and options you'll understand what I'm getting at. :)

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 3, 2007
The Netherlands
There's a poll further down about this. I don't think Sak has told us what she decided to do about the bug, but she gave us the opportunity to chime in. When you read the poll and options you'll understand what I'm getting at. :)

Thanks for the tip Flora, I just gave a reply to this post.

I am very curious what the outcome will be ...

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
I thought I had answered that!! I guess I'm growing senile :/

But yeah that bug is fixed and will be in Pub 58. I put it the way it was always meant to be i.e. for completing the secret nest, you will get a random seed among the 3 following options:

1. A fire seed (legacy plants and flowery cactus)
2. A black seed - peculiar seeds only
3. A white seed - peculiar seeds only

The cocoa tree, because it drops seeds, cannot be obtained through the naturalist quest. I had left it up to you guys to decide if you preferred having the black/white cocoa tree but no longer get seed from it. Since there were so few replies to that question, I just left well enough alone :lick:

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 3, 2007
The Netherlands

But yeah that bug is fixed and will be in Pub 58. I put it the way it was always meant to be i.e. for completing the secret nest, you will get a random seed among the 3 following options:

The cocoa tree, because it drops seeds, cannot be obtained through the naturalist quest. I had left it up to you guys to decide if you preferred having the black/white cocoa tree but no longer get seed from it. Since there were so few replies to that question, I just left well enough alone :lick:
But ..but ... I wasn't here ... :p

If I would have any say in this I would gladly drop the seeds from the cocoa tree, to get them into the naturalist quest !!!!

I mean those seeds drop plenty as is on the monsters while we hunt for the other peculiar seeds, and this would be the ONLY chance to get the cocoa trees in B&W.

But guess I am too late huh ?

Maybe if more people speak up the B&W cocoa still have a chance ... maybe ??

PS. Don't blame me for trying :D

G

Gwendolynne

I just came across this post looking for an update whether or not there was a decision on the seed possibilities for the 5th seed quest. There was actually only 1 vote difference between the option of whether or not to include the cocoa trees in black and white seeds.

View Poll Results: Which change would you like to see in Naturalist Quest?
Black/White New Plants only, Fire Legacy plus Four Barrel only 25 47.17%
Black/White Legacy & New Plants, Fire Legacy plus Four Barrel only 4 7.55%
How about the works? Black/White/Fire available for Legacy and New Plants 24 45.28%

There are so many trees in game now that it is not a big deal especially since the pecular cypress trees are included in the black white possibility. I just wanted to mention that the actual poll results were only 1 vote difference. It may be that not everyone that voted got involved in posting on the poll thread and some may have posted, perhaps even posted more than once, who did not vote.

Anyhow, thanks for the information. I almost missed this since I was watching the poll thread for the decision.

Safe journeys!

G

Gwendolynne

Ack, I missed this question on the boards somehow. Senility here too. Like the other respondent, I would have been happy to lose cocoa tree seeds for a chance to get black and white cocoa trees from the naturalist quest.

Any chance the cocoa trees could be changed for Publish 58?

Thanks Sak!

I think the confusion is from too many threads on the same subject.
From this post (#25) made by Sakkarah on 12/29/08 at 12:28PM in the Thread titled: Surprise from the naturalist quest, old white plants.
-----
In truth, I don't personally mind white and black plants of the original (what I refer to as legacy) set being available through the naturalist's quest. But they were supposed to be rare, which would no longer be the case if I don't fix this. It also means you will have to do a lot more secret nest quests to get the white or black peculiar plant you might want since that will be twice as many plants to randomly pick a seed from.

As far as fire colors go and bonsai trees, I can tell you right now it won't happen (and no, it's not just me trying to play dictators).

I was going to ask questions about the bugs but then slapped myself into remembering I'm supposed to resting so I won't! But I will be bombarding you guys with some clarifications about the current issues once I'm back from vacation. You guys might want to take the next few days to discuss among yourselves how you want the black and white handled. IMHO, we should keep the legacy out of Naturalist's quest black & white just because they should be a reward for crossing plants. But I'm not against leaving it them in the quest either. Think it over and post your opinions!
----

Then 3 hours later on the same day 12/29/08 an actual Poll thread was posted http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=118408
Once I saw the poll thread I did not return to the other thread and it died a few days later.

And then Sakkarah replied to this thread, which makes yet a third one, with the decision information.

I have not seen any bombardment with clarification about the current issues...