Mythbusting Siege - A "MUST READ" for NEW Siege players!

• Thread starter imported_SavageSP
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
  • Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
I

imported_SavageSP

Masuo, if this Post had been up last year and I saw it , I would have showed up sooner then I did. The Rumors I had heard about Siege kept me from looking into it for awhile.
It may not get anyone to leave behind friends or years of collecting Items and Housing, but someone looking for a change might see it and decide to Check Siege out where they wouldnt have before.

PS. IMO, this in its final form is what needs to be Posted on other Shard forums or wherever it would be appropriate to post it, let People read it, and if they are so inclined to make a change to Siege they will do so, if not they wont. Let Siege stand on what it is, the people looking for this will show up.

B

BennosMorales

As we all know the Border Patrol for Siege is on permenent vacation so no matter who wants to jump our fences, swim across our rivers and run around our lands. We won't send you back to the prodo shard you came from, even though we should
..*looks both ways* *macros his hiding skill*.

I will put my two cents in, and say that I am a treasure hunter...whoa! Can that be? There aren't very many of us, and yes the profession has been complete by numerous veterans since the shard began. I appreciate the effort and dedication of the vets, to take on where they left off. I so much want to get into the fighting aspect of Siege cuz that is where the ultimate fun is at. But for now, while training and learning the ways of these lands, I'm up for doing Treasure Maps.

I will always stand by this though...Siege Perilous is a state of mind. You either like the added danger or you don't. No words or explinations can say anymore or bring additions to this kick ass shard!

ALL HAIL SIEGE!!!

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2004
MB, CA
I heard that Wulf plays here, is it really true?
Yes, you heard correctly, Siege is indeed home to the amazing Wulf.

I heard that Wulf once lost a fight, is this true?
Only to the untrained eye, as even his losses factor into his long-term strategies. If his opponents fully realized how little of a chance they actually stood they would run away from him immediately, resulting in an overall decline of looted goods.

I'm irresistably attracted to Wulf, but am happily married. How can I satisfy my craving for hot Wulf-flesh without causing Wulf the inconvenience that comes along with a jealous husband?
Simply PM Wulf your husband's work schedule, along with a photo of yourself, and he'll try to schedule you in at his earliest convenience. The waiting list is extensive, so try booking well in advance.

Can I bear Wulf's children?
No, Feyre. Stop asking.

I came to Siege, but I didn't find Wulf funny. He made me cry, then I got drunk and posted incoherently at him. His response to that only made me cry more, and everybody started laughing at me. Am I a failure as a human being?
Of course not. Thanks to the huge amount of diversity required by the civilization of today, you're still able to provide many contributions that prevent your existance from being a total write-off. The food service industry is always looking for people with both basic object recognition and the ability to place things inside of a bag, and failing that, many of your internal organs are worth harvesting to help those awaiting transplants.

But what about the actual shard? Your entire post was worthless. Worthless!
I already mentioned the most important thing. Wulf plays there. Should you persist in this line of questioning, please refer to the preceding question.

I

imported_mo'gluk

gah lat blah tuu much.... meeb eyes hurt from luukin at lat's skribbles....

G

Ginsu-SP

Actually I have been playing Siege exclusively so long now... I really have no
idea what the myths about Siege are. So, the debunking is very interesting to me.
I tried to play LA for a couple of months a few months back... but it was sooooo
boring, and the people also seemed very bored there. The most exciting things
that I see happening on production shard are auctions and IDOCs.

I would like to see a mention of RP in this statement:
"Some people call it the "PvP Shard", however not everyone here is a PvPer or into PvP. There are a wide variety of players here, while PvP is sometimes a part of Siege life, there are many crafters (who have a lot of use here) and people who are really into PvE."

Siege is the best shard for ANY playstyle, as long as risk=fun for you.

Thanks for putting this together Masuo. Be careful how it is presented... so it is
not just shot down as spam.

Cheers!

G

I'll add a bit about RP in that sentence. I'll probably add an ammendum later about RPing and community.

Yeah, I intend to rewrite the whole thing into a coherent article once I get enough random information about Siege. Currently it's just a notepad of sorts with random bits of info.

What I mean by "debunking" is to gather enough good information about Siege so that those who are interested in Siege aren't presented with rumors and false information about it. The UO website isn't really descriptive enough and the Stratics site info is very outdated (still mentions powerhour?!).

What I ask from everyone is ANY sort of beneficial information. Info about towns of Siege, things to be aware of or watch for. Things about skill gain, how to interact with people, and all the like.

B

Bellzibob

rtlfc

I am really enjoying Siege. When I first started running around in UO I thought I *could* be attacked, and found the first week sort of nervous. BUt I soon realized it was all in my head, no other player could attack me, I was safe pretty much no matter where I went and it was a collect gold and arties world.

After 3 years, I started playing Siege. Finally, logging in, gives me that feeling of fear and vulnerability. That is what I missed the most. The feeling that at anytime, someone could run into my screen and things could change.

I have only been attacked once so far, out right and on sight. Of course it was to a VMP, but i am [NEW] so I expected it.

Did I get angry and take it personal? Of course not, I laughed and hauled my butt to moongate, as VMP attacked me I laughed out loud, something I had not done in regards to UO in awhile. I literally laughed outloud and said "this is why i cam to siege."

The rumors surely do keep some away. I am not much of a PVPer, I like to play a mage and group fight, but i like to heal and run with the group, not do one on one much. So I expected to log on, and not even make the run from skara brae to the Hedge Maze without getting PKed. What i found was quite the opposite. Last night at Skara Bank, a red came over and welcomed me to Siege (noticed my NEW guild name) and it caught me off guard.

The price changes are a bit much, but if you shop around at towns you can find cheaper stuff.

I am looking forward to at lest being able to defend myself without running for now, but I may not be like all. I laugh when I die, some punch their screen. I think the mentality of the shards are very different and then comes the rumors.

On Pac everything seems so vendor related, prices are sky high because I guess the shard is very popular with collectors who carre only for insurance and chests full of paragon collections, and all the new ML rares. While this is fun, its not what I am looking for.

I want to run with a group. Have melee fighters and archers by my side and protect/heal group do what attacks I can etc... so I started meeting up with groups and fighting a little, what I noticed was a 0these people got very very very pissed when they would die and then teamwork would reduce to zero b) they constantly complained about insurance cost, but then insured every thing they wore for no reason, (you need insurance while fighting in the Vesper Invasion??? Its in town!!!! No need for insurance. c) if they didnt get *items* from the fights, they didnt really want to fight the creature. "Would rather farm swoops"

I dont know about you, but I have never even fought a swoop, have no desire to. Why would I want to stand in the same place for 3 hours killing a dump purple bird?

I want to log on and run through Luna as a [NEW] and get a VMP to chase me, now that is fun. I only have [NEW] tag for 30 days, i plan to use it for as much fun as possbile.

G

Great input Bellzibob! I laughed out loud myself when I got first got killed on Siege by another player. My 'record' was 2.5 weeks without dying, I was in NEW at the time. I was booking towards the west Umbra bridge when I literally bumped into several VmP. I didn't last a few seconds.

I wasn't bothered by it though. All the gear I had on was replaceable junk. What's interesting though is that replacing all the GM gear you wear is actually cheaper than paying insurance costs after dying several times. It also encourages you to be more alert, and aware of danger and safety.

G

I thought I'd add a bit concerning ROT.

Total ROT gains:

While you can only gain 3.6 or 2.1 per day (total, across all skills), and the time between gains varies from 5 minutes to 15 minutes, it gets a bit more complicated than that.

If you have one skill (say magery) in the 70-80 range where you are gaining 3.6/day and another skill (say med) in the 80-90 range where you are gaining 2.1/day, you may end up gaining only 0.7 med + 2.1 magery for 2.8 gains for the day.

This is because your total gains are distributed between the two gain rates.

ROT training:

Also, unless you want to spend 3-5 hours every day training one skill, it's generally better to 1) decide what your template is going to be, 2) get all your skills to ROT=70.1 - including some complementary skills which you will later drop, and 3) let them all gain at the same time.

This is because, while you can only gain every 5 minutes on one skill in the 70-80 range, you have 7+ skills you can do that with. So, 0.7/5 minutes = ~1/2 hour of training per day.

In my case, I locked everything but hiding, trained it to GM, and I'm now working on the rest of my skills together.

Finally, crafters:

If you are a crafter, Siege is the place for you. There's plenty worth making and selling here on Siege, because the PvP community is in continuous need of new armor, potions, scrolls, etc. Player vendors are highly valued here.

G

Added your info about RoT, cut some of my extraneous info out, added a blurb about crafters.

K

Kreegan

Nice article indeed.

I do like the fact that crafters and player vendors have more value here than on a 'normal' shard as while it takes a little time to get setup, it's a hell of a lot easier to make money by selling basic ityems(bandages, bulk cloth, leather, ignots).

And my record was just over two days before I 'met' some reds from Vmp.

G

Ginsu-SP

Player vs Environment

Generally means someone who pits themselves against whatever the game
throws at them... monsters, quests, economy, and on Siege I would think that
PKs become part of the "E".

This is generally referred to as PvM around here... but PvE is a fairly common
term in other games.

Cheers!

G

Player versus Environment. I'll change it to PvM for clarification. Apologies, I'm used to other games calling it PvE.

I

imported_Daan Mor

What about my cunningly mathematic info on ROT from the NEW forum?

G

Gonna add that info in a sec, I'm currently rewriting the whole thing into a coherent article.

G

Ginsu-SP

Is that the one with the pictures of notebook paper?

I seriously think that one should be preserved as a Siege classic.

Cheers!

G

Allright, I rewrote everything into something with form. This is the first draft. Please give it a readover, give me your input and anything you would like to add.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 13, 2003
South Jersey
<blockquote><hr>

PBDs are still obtainable as BOD rewards

[/ QUOTE ]

May want to change that to CBDs.

Also, do you think we should add stuff about our economy? Things here dont cost a bizillion gold. We werent affected by all the gold and char transfer dupes.

G

Thanks for pointing that out, just fixed it now. I plan to make the Crafting, Gear and Economy section ALLLL about the whole money side of things. Added a line in the basics section that the economy is much more stable than the production shards.

G

Hate to sound like a broken record, but if you have any bits of information you want to add, parts you think should be corrected, suggestions, experiences, ideas.... ANYTHING beneficial (and it could be just one thing) please post to this thread. Like I said in the article, I want this to be created by the community of Siege, and not just me representing Siege.

Info I am interested in:
-Personal experiences that led to your better understanding of Siege
-Experiences or thoughts on the economy and crafting of Siege.
-Info about player towns/historical landmarks/traditions and recurring events on Siege
-Stories of why you came to Siege, or what keeps you in Siege
-Why is Siege better than the production shards

Uncle Sam

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Forgive me if I am wrong but I could have sworn that rot 99.0 and up was all the same at 15 min intervals, not a change at 115.0 to 20 min. This is from the uo website,
Skill points for skills 99.0 points and up will gain a maximum of 2 points total per day, with a minimum of 15 minutes between point gained.
I realize that it is a total of 2.1 not 2.0 as quoted.

G

Thanks, I verified this, and I'll change it. It's no problem, I want to make sure everything's correct. Thanks for pointing that out.

G

I was just debating with someone on Uhall about the economy, and I mentioned how we have such a great economy and they replied with "last I heard the economy was majorly messed up there too"

Needless to say I enlightended them.

I said that the heart of an economy was the frequency and levels of interaction of the participants. On siege you can pretty much instantly and continuously be an active part of the economy buying and selling goods. Cloth, arrows, Gm armor and other things that on most shards are worthless are highly bought, sold, and traded on a daily basis here, while higher level things such as tailor bod rewards artifacts rares and uber weapons are also delt with much frequency.

Basicaly there is a wider spectrum of worth and there is always demand.

If you want to be a merchant or just enjoy a working economy siege is the only shard to play. Little to no pvp necessary.

G

It's funny that Siege (and maybe Mugen) are the only places that have economies that really work.

Thanks Uvtha. I'll be sure add your input.

P

Princess Doom

<blockquote><hr>

I dont know about you, but I have never even fought a swoop, have no desire to. Why would I want to stand in the same place for 3 hours killing a dump purple bird?

I want to log on and run through Luna as a [NEW] and get a VMP to chase me, now that is fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

*Smiles* If you try to hunt for 3 hours anywhere on Seige life will get very interesting very soon. Thats another thing You will want to change up what you are doing like huting here and there and not staying to long at any one place...

When I first started playing Seige over three years ago...one of my favorite things to do was running out Luna naked and getting the reds to kill me ...hehe I'd laugh too.

One of my favorite stories...is my very first encounter with a red outside Britian as I walked around in the nude gathering regs in order to cast and gain in magery. When he approached me he said, "Your money or your life!" and I responded, "I don't have any money"...he then asked, "What do you have?"....hehe I said, "Ummm, a few regs I have gathered from the ground, a dagger"...then to my surprise he said, "then sing for me!"...he asked me to sing 99 bottles of beer on the wall....and I did...as I was singing he was joined by another red and I continued to sing for the pair....when I was done they said how much they enjoyed it and applauded me and said I could sing at their tavern anytime..*smiles*

The other story is about Atila The Hunny, one of my alts, when I named her I was unaware that a red gentleman on Seige was named Atilla the Hun, very well known....I was out nude again of course, *smiles* and a group approached me saying its ok dont attack him he is cool that's Atilla the Hun...and I quickly rebuttled..I'm not Atilla the Hun...I'm Atila The Hunny! Next thing I knew I was OooOOooo! Hehe! They killed me. Later I finally met the red named Atilla the Hun because as I had heard about him he had heard about me.

A few important things to let people know....There is not Trammel here...I have met plenty of people that come here trying to find Trammel. The other thing is recall and sacred journey are not alternative mods of transportation. Alos bracelets of binding do not work. You can only gate, walk, run or stealth! Also there are places on Seige that you cannot gate in and out of that you can on a production shard. If you do not wish to walk your character template will want to have some magery.

Also be aware there are thieves on Seige and unless the item is blessed more then likely it can be stolen...

And even though for the most part you cannot be attacked in towns be aware that it an be done...if a group chooses to take you down a group may sacrifice one or two for the benefit of taking you down and use someone not attacking you as a looter. Just be aware what you wear or have in your pack it is always possible to lose...it is apart of the suspense.

Personally playing Seige is just flat out fun...you can go out and play, die and live again without all this blasted insurance one of the worst things they every came up with in this game. On a produciton shard I hate dying, all I hear is chan ching am I breaking even? here I can have fun even when I die..and I always come out ahead.

K

Kat SP

One of the things I would like to see addressed in this article is how one can deal with the lack of insurance.

Most players from production shards, who are used to uber suits that are insured, don't quite understand how they can wear nice suits here. The following are two of the best pieces of advice I have received, since soming to Siege..

1. Have the ability to self insure [Revvo]
2. Play like there is no tomorrow [Phish Phan]

When I started Siege, I started with the template I was most comfortable with. A tamer. Another reason I chose a tamer is that she would be my money-maker. Siege has a very healthy economy and because of that, there is a very healthy buy/sell/trade market here between players.

The key to equipping yourself is to 1. Make enough gold to self insure and replace the nice items you eventually WILL lose and 2. Don't be afraid to spend your gold. It isn't much good to you just sitting in the bank, so you might as well spend it to help you enjoy your game. Using your gold to purchase items from other players is comparable to having insurance. Once you can accept that, life on Siege becomes easier and it takes the "sting" out of losing nice items. I hoard the items my character's need. So what if I just lost 150k worth of equipment? I've got my replacement's at home and it's just a matter of taking a few minutes to go put it together and get back to having more fun. "Play like there is no tomorrow."

Almost everything has value on Siege. I often collect things that I don't need, because I know there is a market for the items. On regular shards, players simply overlook 0/2's and 0/3's because they aren't worth anything there. On Siege, these item's are good "throw away" items that other's are willing to buy. There are lots of items that fall into this "throw away item" category and players who need them are often willing to buy them in bulk. Minor artifact's are another example of this as are SCNP weapons and many other items.

I highly recommend these strategies for making your gold, so you can equip yourself with nicer items, without insurance.

H

HalfDead

What I like most about Siege is that there is NEVER any "best player". What I mean by that is player (A) may be better than player (B), and player (B) may be better than player (C), but at the same time player (C) may be better than player (A). Hope that made sense. My point is there is always someone better.

Also I absolutely love the egos on Siege, it's the shard that has all the so called best players all on one shard. Everyone here has a huge ego and that makes it all the more fun cause everyone has something to prove. You just can't get this level of competition on any other shard IMO.

G

I came to Siege for one primary reason, NO INSURANCE !

While I have a whole diverse set of characters on Chesapeake, most of them warriors mages or the combo warrior mages, for the few crafter skills maybe only ONE crafter skill on a chr. insurance literally killed off that part of their existance.

When insurance first hit, the endlessly successful vendor shoppes that I ran on Chesapeake many bearing the GM mark of Queen Zen a popular mark on that shard for YEARS of tailoring only crafter skill I even permitter her as warrior, suddenly sales plumeted. I was seeing players all over Chesapeake bearing my gm mark even on their boots......INSURED ! Now come on the boots only sold for like 100gp to 150 max and they were all insuring them for 600gp a pop !!! WT ????

The sheer lunacy of insurance the paranoia for everyone to loose even silly gm marked boots was just too much to even cope with. I tried to stick it out there but I do not have nor have I had any vendoring operations at all there since insurance. To go from seeing my boots all over feet of players enmasse lost rebought lost rebought only 100gp no biggie for em...end up INSURED for 600gp just totally turned my stomach ! For crying out loud insure simple BOOTS even ??
That just too paranoid of a society to have to live with or put up with any longer. One of my best friends there literally went bankrupt INSURING every thing he had on him endlessly !!! LIKE ummmmmmmmmmmmm WT ????

So I came to SIEGE ! I opted to do something I never had the GUTS to do in pre tram reg shard and that was to make a PURE crafter template here on Siege. I never had the guts to make a character like that on Chessie, never could stand to be a *helpless* template so I never made any pure crafters ever, they were all warriors with maybe ONE craft skill max. My smith sat unemployed, then my QZ warrior couldnt even sell her boots no more every one insuring simple plain gm made leather boots there. So I came here, made the newblet Miranda all pure crafter template in an all fel ruleset.. where I had hoped with all my heart if ever I made a pair of boots for anyone I would NEVER see them insured on any ones character's feet. I came here to hopefully as a PURE crafter template be able to serve a guild OF pvpers too with making them stuff that THEY can not insure ...rinse repeat nothing I make be it for KSS or any one on this shard I will hope to God I NEVER see insured...or overly blessed cuz man if yall start doing that I AM SO GONE !!

*requotes Crunch..you can insure a ninja belt* SMACKS CRUNCH !

Dont even GO there man ! HAHA

I HATE insurance ! And ima not to slap happy bout blessing thises and thats either but I can fathom a few things maybe being blessed but a NINJA BELT no way ! HAHA gimme a break ! haha

G

*debunking a siege myth*

IF you make a pure crafter template on Siege you are nothing but dead person endlessly pkd !

NOT SO !

Aside from maybe ^^^ Cheapsuit up there whom I have yet to even SEE on Siege, for the most part only those that normally PK my crafter are those people whom would be *enemy guilds* to the KSS on my crafters head. Most of those that can pvp or pk me to oblivion know I am a pure crafter template and they oft just ask me if I can repair or enhance something for em instead of pking me. Those that really pvp here prefer a challenge, an adrenal rush with their fights not found in attacking me or other pure crafter templates. So, a lot of em don't even bother to attack the known pure crafter template cuz it is like no challenge for em they may just want something fixed or repaired or made for em, so they aren't pking ya to oblivion when ever they see ya as crafter, cuz some here whom could just dirtnap ye in a nano second, just need ye crafting skills not remotely interested in ye lack pvpin' skills !
The normal ones usually killing my crafter are the ones that would be or remain *enemies* of my guild thus whilst bearing that guild tag I too would be a target and sometimes they just offing me in hopes I AM on the map to tell the knights ummmmmm they lookin for a fight if yall are available ! HAHA It isnt really me, that they are *targeting* they want to fight with the guild I am in sooo they just hopin by offin me they get lucky that maybe I be on map to get some action for them to fight the fighters of my guild.

*well save for VMP even non guilded I would be an insolent bluebie to them all the time soooooooooooo HAHA OoOO I just wave and move on cuz I got places to go things to do, hurry up then gank me then cuz Ima too busy to foo with yall ! HAHA * some encounters with VMP are kinda like a bad ummm ya know a boring affair, when the lady says all bored like well........ are ya done yet, hurry up then get finished, so I can get moving on, I got things to do here man, I got no time for this. * HAHA

G

Interesting people/encounters, no insurance, competition, better sense and a better economy. I'll be sure to add all the topics you guys have just discussed.

Keep those stories coming!

G

Thief avoidance:

Unlike most shards, thieves actually are active and fun on siege. Almost nothing is insured or blessed, so there's actually stuff to steal. This is particularly true because many Siege members migrated here from other shards and have never learned how to avoid thieves.

There's a number of methods:
1. keep all your deathrobes, dye them black, keep your stuff in a black dyed bag in your pack, keep the pack open. Easy for you to get to, tough for a thief to find - particularly if you put the drobes on top of the pack.

2. stacking. put all your stuff in a small pouch, keep it open, but drop all your runebooks and spell books on top of it. Again, hard to find.

3. clutter. never throw away anything. thieves hate a cluttered pack.

4. trapped chests. These are awesome. Use a GM explosion tinkered chest, when locked correctly any attempt to open them causes explosion damage to the thief (or you if you aren't careful). Put your stuff in the chest, keep it open, and set it to explode (there's an essay about this on stratics, or just experiment). A GM tinkered explosion trapped chest will almost always kill a thief.

That said, if you are a thief, you'll find that very few siege players use any of these methods and, thus, are ripe for the pickings.

G

Ginsu-SP

I would echo Kat's comments... and only add this;

There are a good portion of people who play Siege who have a "treat people
like you are treated" mentality when it comes to looting. Meaning that if you
want to be looted less, or light looted.... then you should not loot, or only light
loot.

If you are someone who enjoys dry-looting every kill... then you can certainly
expect to eventually be dry-looted almost every time.

Personally, I rarely loot... in fact I can remember every time I did. Some might
say that's because I never get the chance... and while it's true that I lose more
than I win... looting is not really part of my game. I think a lot of players from
production shards would be surprised how often they will not be dry-looted here
if they come here and become known as someone who doesn't dryloot. Of course
there are people here that dryloot every time, cut up your armor, and dance a
jig on your dead mount's corpse... but you can decrease the number of times
this happens by not acting like that yourself when you get the chance.

Cheers!

G

Ye post reminded me of one of my first nicknames given to me by some Siege players when I first came here. I made 2 newbies on 2 of my younger accts. at the same time when I was trying to get to know Siege better. Miranda and my Hughes of Gray. So I took Hughes to Luna bank haha to investigate these rumors that I heard about Siege thieves. I had a thief chr. on chessie for years till he was nerfed to the unemployment line so I knew what to do or not do, since I had been a professional thief on one Chesapeake chr. and actually the very first KILL I ever got in UO was also KILLING a thief as QZ by Delucia bank..well he stole me apple that was meant for ..my horse ..ya do not steal the queen's apples and live ! haha

Anyhow, was early morning one of my first days here on Siege, and nearly every thief in SP and others were all at the Luna bank all looking for a mark and some goodies to lift from someone there. I waltz in on Hughes and nearly every one of em was seeing what was in his backpack.

Suddenly I was given my first nickname on Siege as my Hughes of Gray

They called me : Mr. Empty Backpack

haha
momma not raise no foo !

But for the most part whatever I would loose on Siege due to thief or killer, is just stuff I can REMAKE again easily with Miranda for all my chrs. sooo no biggie.

G

Oh you might also wish to add how rapidly things break here. Even playing uo for years on Chesapeake pre tram, I had forgotten about DECAY and breakage my own self. Also over years of time ya get so much gp and so established you do forget what it is also like to be nearly penniless and newbie again like restarting here on Siege.

Everything was breaking faster than my crafter skills were upping. The shovels, the sewing kits, the tinker tools all broke, tinker was still too low to remake what I needed. In the end my 1k of gp given to new chrs. was gone, toss in being pkd newbie drylooted of some tools and one day I found NO gp left nor skill to even remake me a stupid shovel. I was about ready to quit this shard feeling downtrodden and broke and how is a crafter to UP skill tool less ? I had really forgotten how fast things decay or become broken and they seemed to do so even faster on Siege and of course even a simple shovel no blacksmithing skill so no bods to get more shovels, tink not high enough to make the darn shovel, broke..............ready to quit. I wanted to GM the mining for the carpenter I was to become *not for smithing*. Out of tools, out of gp was not aware yet to even think to sell cloth, even so my daggar broke, scissors broke, every tool broke. I probably should have made the tinker skill higher to begin with but I did not. So I was ready to quit Siege broke and no tools. I really did forget how fast stuff breaks here. Twas then I ran into a lady named Shalimar of NEW. She said "What do ye need ? " I said " I would be able to stay here, if I can just get me a shovel, tinker tools, and a sewing kit or two again to at least get my skill up to MAKE the darn tools myself. "

She took me to NEW guild.
The rest is history. I was able to STAY HERE cuz someone was kind enough to give me more tools to go on. I really forgot how fast things break here..and so ye might want to add that in ye info too, stuff decays stuff breaks, yet find someone kind here and ya may be given a shovel or something to keep on keeping on ..that in the end will enable you to stay here and to then go gm or better all ye skills, to STAY !

I

imported_Daan Mor

<blockquote><hr>

Is that the one with the pictures of notebook paper?

I seriously think that one should be preserved as a Siege classic.

Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahaha!! I can't be the only one who does this... And yes, I did finish that template on schedule, on my birthday, 27th of March, woot. (well early morning of 28th really, you can see the star marked on the last page
)

G

Ginsu-SP

That's the one! lol

ROT makes you think a lot more.... that's for sure.

Cheers!

G

Thanks guys for your input.

Currently I'm brainstorming and typing up the "Crafting, Gear, and Economy" section using some of your input. I'm also going to add another section called, "Random Player Tips and Watching Your Own Back" which will include much of the things you've said in this thread.

C

Chessy

<blockquote><hr>

Also I absolutely love the egos on Siege, it's the shard that has all the so called best players all on one shard. Everyone here has a huge ego and that makes it all the more fun cause everyone has something to prove. You just can't get this level of competition on any other shard IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I left this shard. Bunch of e-peens and children who think because they cheat or are better then another person , that they are on some higher level then other people . Bunch of crap IMO !!!
If I am going to play then I am going to collect as MUCH as I can on a production shard and CASH in. You are still dealing with the same people no matter what shard you are on. Its a game of economics now. Nothing more.

C

Chessy

<blockquote><hr>

I would echo Kat's comments... and only add this;

There are a good portion of people who play Siege who have a "treat people
like you are treated" mentality when it comes to looting. Meaning that if you
want to be looted less, or light looted.... then you should not loot, or only light
loot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmm B.S. call on that one - Mythbusted

<blockquote><hr>

If you are someone who enjoys dry-looting every kill... then you can certainly
expect to eventually be dry-looted almost every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

99% of the time people are dry looted - Once again Mythbusted

<blockquote><hr>

Of course
there are people here that dryloot every time, cut up your armor, and dance a
jig on your dead mount's corpse...

[/ QUOTE ]

Verified and proven over and over again.

C

Chessy

<blockquote><hr>

Thanks guys for your input.

Currently I'm brainstorming and typing up the "Crafting, Gear, and Economy" section using some of your input. I'm also going to add another section called, "Random Player Tips and Watching Your Own Back" which will include much of the things you've said in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Siege is the old pre-trammel fel lands. Most people actully enjoy insurance and relish being able to keep a 100 gps pair of boots ( why I am not sure ). Why on earth would people be at doom for hours on end and recieve a Artifact , only to have a butt-hole ( or many of them ) pk you and enjoy the fruits of your labor. That is why people DO NOT play siege. Not alot of myths about Siege. other then that fact that people know that they can not enjoy useing arti's and other great things because they dont want to lose them. Siege is a great shard for those that enjoy it. But dont put up ballons and streamers to get people to try it and then they find out the truth. I am sorry to bring negitive reponses to a great thing you are trying to do. But you are part of the 1% on Siege that seems to do nice things for people.

G

Chessy, what I am trying to achieve in my article is to inform others on what the Siege ruleset is about and how can players enhance their experience with Siege. Basically a full fleged guide better than UO's website and Stratic's current Siege page. As a side effect it will "bust" a lot of rumors, myths, and misinterpretations that people have put forward about Siege Perilous.

I have never stated that Siege is the shard people should be on, but an alternative that can apply to people if they are interested, looking for a challenge or want something more dynamic. I know why people don't play on Siege, and that's good for them. They have a choice and they are right to choose whatever shard to play on to have fun.

<blockquote><hr>

This is why I left this shard. Bunch of e-peens and children who think because they cheat or are better then another person , that they are on some higher level then other people . Bunch of crap IMO !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this happens way more in production shard Fel (especially with more overpowered gear) then it does on Siege. Competition always is in any game with PvP. You don't have to listen or deal with it however.

<blockquote><hr>

If I am going to play then I am going to collect as MUCH as I can on a production shard and CASH in. You are still dealing with the same people no matter what shard you are on. Its a game of economics now. Nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case, Siege is definately NOT for people with this ideal. Siege is a place that offers reward for patience and work, and is not for those who want to push at hyper speed. I'm all about playing the game as a game. I'm here to have fun and let others have fun.

<blockquote><hr>

But you are part of the 1% on Siege that seems to do nice things for people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the compliment, but this is greater than 1%. Sure, we have our jerks. In any game you will have them. The Siege community though has been more helpful to me and responsive than any production shard I've played on. The first person that actually helped me out was a murderous red.

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

There are a good portion of people who play Siege who have a "treat people like you are treated" mentality when it comes to looting. Meaning that if you want to be looted less, or light looted.... then you should not loot, or only light loot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is something good that players should follow, it is up to the player to make whatever choice. I have not included this in my article yet, as I plan to something creative about it in one of my next sections. There are guilds that CLEARLY will dry loot you, and you can take many precautions on either preparing and preventing for such. There are also some that do not dry loot. Again, Siege is about more freedom of choice, and people can do whatever makes them have fun. It can however lessen another's fun. I'll write more on this.

<blockquote><hr>

Siege is a great shard for those that enjoy it. But dont put up ballons and streamers to get people to try it and then they find out the truth. I am sorry to bring negitive reponses to a great thing you are trying to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I accept your apology. While your posts were negative, I need as much criticism I can get. This helps me decide what makes a complete and coherent article at the end. I have never, however, put up balloons and streamers about Siege in my article. If you read it on page 1, it's a very basic drawn out guide that currently is still incomplete. There are no lies or false information in there. If there is, please correct me and I will fix it, like other posters have here.

I hope everyone notices this last quote, and there is no need for anyone flaming Chessy for putting up these responses.

G

Bumping so this thread doesn't get lost in a sea of threads.

Later today I'm going to add the next section.

G

Ginsu-SP

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really sorry that your playstyle, or maybe personality has led to a different
experience for you. But there are a lot of us that have different experiences.
When I fight someone I haven't fought very often, I expect to be drylooted.
But there are a ton of people that get labeled "drylooters" that barely touch
my loot.

How you conduct yourself on Siege really does make a difference. It's not going
to keep your gear in your pack 100% of the time... but 1 or 2 times a week is
better than nothing. I don't need your gear... so I don't take it. If we were at
a spawn or something, and I thought you might come back... I might loot you
like Krystal last looted me... just taking my arrows (she's an archer in VmP).
She didn't have to do that. Thanks Krystal.... that made my terrible defeat not
so terrible.

Cheers!

G

Siege isnt for everyone, that we all know full well.
If you have something nice like an arti, you can Siege Bless it. Other than that one special item - what are you worried about losing?
Its not hard to resuit up in barbed GM crafted leather, grab some jewelry and head back out there.

I came to Siege right after they stopped PBD's and so I played a long time without any special blessed item. Yeah, it sucked losing awesome things.. but no big deal. Its only pixels and it NEVER stopped my game play or hindered the fun and good times I had.

Now I consider myself fortunate to be able to bless my weapon.

P

Princess Doom

All I can say is I love Seige...I've played here since right before Age of Shadows...I am not a pvper cause I had one of the worse connections on this shard...playing at 28800...which most of the time made me a sitting duck ..hehe

But I havent lost much since I've been here...and I have 2 beautifully decorated 18x18 houses with plenty of collectibles....I love the community!!

Like what was already said sure we have a few butts......BUT I can tell u we have a whole lot less then what Ive ran into on a regular shard....

I have a house in Feluccia on Atlantic but I wont play in fel there but yet i live in fel rules here all the time...and Id rather be here... Trammel is boring to me and fel there is just ridiculous...it's all about artis and collecting insurance money.

And to go shopping ...wow, the prices make me ill...so much greed and sure if someone wants to insure a pair of boots it is always thier choice....but I'd rather go barefoot then insure a pair of barbed or go kill something and ask a craft to make me a pair....

Just to walk around on a regular shard it just feels strange...everyone looks like a fashion show.

C

Chessy

Siege is a great shard don't get me wrong on that one. But it is also going the way of items and not skill any more.
Reasons why I like Siege. Its easier to macro afk on siege then it is on a regular shard. Easier to recieve and spawn for scrolls , ( not much chance of being raided ). Freedom of trammel.
But really what is there to do , once all those goals that you have set for your self are done. Kill the same people over and over and over again. Collect millions on a shard that is closeing in on the rate of production shards for wealth.
As for blessing a weapon , well . Once long , long time ago (7-8 years ago) this was also possible on production shards. Everyone had a PBD. And there were no insurance back then either. Most players would never remember that , because they were still in training wheels on thier bike.( could go on for hours ( 109 month account. ) Uo hasn't developed anything of value for gamers in years.
What you are doing for Siege is admirable and kind. Wish you all the best in the future with your article on Siege.