• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mystic/Mage Questions

BassBuster23

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello, all. I am currently building a Mystic/Mage character and am trying to gather all the info before I get too deep into it. I will post my current template then follow with the questions.

Mysticism: Take to 120 (85ish currently)
Magery: Take to 120 (85ish)
Eval Int: Take to 120 (80)
Focus: Take to 120 (32.4)
Meditate: Take to 120 (71)
Resist Spells: Take to 100 (85)
SpellWeaving: ????

First question is this, is Resist really necessary on this template if this is purely PvM?
Second question......will SpellWeaving give this template an offensive boost, or is the template just as viable without it?
Thanks for any and all help........it is greatly appreciated. :)

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
I think it depends on the monsters you're facing and how you're facing them. It also depends on your suit. None of those skills are difficult or costly to raise, so my suggestion is try it out, and if you find it's not worth it, dump it.

I've never found a use for magicresist on my mage. The main reason is because when I PvM, I avoid being the target of monsters altogether. I use a summons or an allured monster to take the hits. When fighting in a group, I'm the support mage that invis's when targetted.

I copied my character to Test Center once and tried different options, such as 120 resist and 120 wrestling. It wasn't worth it for me. But I'm sure other PvM mages swear by it.

I used to question whether spellweaving was worth it in my mage template, having often only used it for dyrad allure, but I've found the skill is very powerful in many different applications these days, especially if you can find others to do a level 6 focus with you.

BassBuster23

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you, O'Brien. I need to brush up on my knowledge of SpellWeaving.....but I have time while working the other skills.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
Thank you, O'Brien. I need to brush up on my knowledge of SpellWeaving.....but I have time while working the other skills.
YW. The spellweaving quest and putting together a spellweaving spellbook can be a pain if you've never done it. If you go with spellweaving, I recommend at least GM, because that way you can participate in all of the "skilled arcane circles" with everyone who has 120 skill (you can do an arcane circle with all other spellweavers who are within 20 points of you). General chat is your friend there.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I recommend spell weaving thats the template i run and I love it ...plus you can change out weaving for fishing,mining,inscription etc making a very versatile character

L

lit2fly

sorry it should be off topic here, when mentioning fishing here, is a fisher good with mystic and magic? I see most of the thread recommends a melee skill on fisher, just wanna know if spell casting skill is efficient on a fisher, thanks

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry it should be off topic here, when mentioning fishing here, is a fisher good with mystic and magic? I see most of the thread recommends a melee skill on fisher, just wanna know if spell casting skill is efficient on a fisher, thanks
My fisher is a caster and I think it works pretty well. It can really come in handy dungeon fishing and works well when you're on a boat too. Plus you get the added advantage of being able to cast invis and use summons.