• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

mystic/mage/necro????

Q

quackmandude

120 mystic
120 mage
120 focus
120 eval
100 med
120 ss

Ok ok. Looks crazy but hear me out. What if I play human for joat. So I can use wraith form. As far as I no it leaches based off of ss. Questions. Does it leach summons damage and spell damage ? I just don't want to have ANY mana problems. Ill have parry and resist stoned if needed to replace ss. Cool thing is I can still use wraith form and leach a lil right? I'm gonna rely heavy on colossus and evs. Gonna be a 3/6 suit. I'm new the spell casting thing as im always on my sampire. Any help would be appreciated. I no my defense is low without parry but ima be in a group hopefully.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
It doesn't leech from summons damage. Spell damage, yeah. I run my human mage in JOAT (Jack of All Trades 20 Necro, 20 Spirit Speak) Wraith form a lot lately. But my mage relies on direct damage magery spells and slayer spellbooks.

Whether you have enough mana with just the JOAT depends on a number of other factors, such as how much mana regen, LMC, SDI you have, and how much mana the monster has to leech.

Unless you have any more specific questions, I guess the best advice here is to just use trial and error see what works for you, your playstyle, and the particular spawn. Test Center can come in handy for trying out suits/templates.

Q

quackmandude

Basically my question is do I need a 3/6 suit? Or 2/6? Also I read that spell channeling added fc-1. But only if if says it does which is really confusing. I just want fast casting, high SDI and decent hp for a good support char thanks guys sorry im a noob at spell casting lol.

and give me some macro ideas. I'm used to a warrior so i just use lightning strike and honor and eoo. With magery and mystic i feel like every spell has a use that is good enough to macro lol. Help me before i type bank and simultaneously cast 4 spells. Thanks again

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
Basically my question is do I need a 3/6 suit? Or 2/6?
2/6 is the max for magery. 3/6 may be the max for mystic (I've never played a mystic.) 0/6 is the max if you run with protection.

Also I read that spell channeling added fc-1. But only if if says it does which is really confusing.
If the piece says FC-1, then it reduces your total FC by 1. If it doesn't say that, then it doesn't. For example if your suit has a total of FC4, and you add a shield with FC-1, then your total becomes FC3. Spell channeling just means you can cast a spell while that item is equipped in your hand (you cannot do that with most items.)

I just want fast casting, high SDI and decent hp for a good support char thanks guys sorry im a noob at spell casting lol.
Hey don't worry we all know what it's like to try to learn new things in this game. But it looks like you're well on your way, and before you know it, playing a mage will become natural and you'll be a force to be reckoned with :flame:

and give me some macro ideas. I'm used to a warrior so i just use lightning strike and honor and eoo. With magery and mystic i feel like every spell has a use that is good enough to macro lol. Help me before i type bank and simultaneously cast 4 spells. Thanks again
I think a lot of pvm mages just assign often-used spells to their F-Keys. I play a Stealth-Mage and grouped defense macros together, and then offense macros together (F1-Hiding F2-Invisibility F3-Heal F4-Cure, F5-Fireball F6-Explosion F7-Energy Bolt F8-Flamestrike). But again, whatever works best for you. I think the thing with magery is that it's one of the most dynamic skills in the game, so if you try to approach it in one-size-fits-all cookie-cutter style, you may not realize its potential.

For example, many folks have said the new wrong and shame spawn is hard for mages. Well I stealth down there in JOAT wraith form with an allured troll or summons to take the hits, and pretty much pwn the lower-level spawn with a slayer spellbook and SDI suit, casting a spell that most say is almost useless (chain lightning) and I bet I can take down those mobs faster than tamers and sampires.

My template is very unorthodox, and a work in progress. Currently its:

120 Magery
120 Evaluate Intelligence
100 Meditation
100 Spellweaving
100 Inscription
100 Hiding
75 Stealth

I'm still working on taking down the tougher spawn efficiently however, as mana becomes a problem. I could max out meditation and try to find a way to add more LMC onto my suit. See, trial and error.

Have fun with it and make it yours. No need to master everything overnight. It will come faster than you think.

Q

quackmandude

Thanks guys that cleared alot of things up and motivated me to keep going with my mage. Couldn't ask for better responses! Thanks again. See ya on chessy!