• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My response

H

Herc

My Response to EA's lack of response to the use of third party programs (132 months after beginning):

Bye.:danceb:

Erekose

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are afraid to kill the Program That Shall Not Be Named because a third of the people would quit, because LOTS of people use it unfortunately. That is the only plausible reason that they refuse to stop it's use.

K

Kiminality

They are afraid to kill the Program That Shall Not Be Named because a third of the people would quit, because LOTS of people use it unfortunately. That is the only plausible reason that they refuse to stop it's use.
Firstly, as I'd like to call for a source on "a third". I hate it when people pull numbers out of the air, so where's your justification for that number?
Secondly, it's not as easy as flicking a switch. They can't just wave a magic wand, and make the cheaters go away. Punkbuster may have helped, but look where that ended up.

J

jack flash

indeed it is

i have been told many a time about a simple change or a small piece of code done daily with knock out the said program forever, as they can never keep up

so it can be done, the question is why not?

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
indeed it is

i have been told many a time about a simple change or a small piece of code done daily with knock out the said program forever, as they can never keep up

while they could make the attempt with that approach it would most likely fall victim to the same circumstance that crashed the old Stratics forums... somewhere along the way someone will think that task unimportant

oh, and to Herc ~~ safe journeys :)

K

Kiminality

indeed it is

That would require daily patches to the client.
Not only does each patch require QA verification, but it needs multiple versions for each "distribution" of the client. So, there's some development bandwidth down the drain, right there.
Applying patches takes time... So you reinstall, and end up spending half a day installing 30 patches for every month this miracle fix has been going on for.
In addition, new content patches are based off existing client code... this is a pretty tall order, when the client is changing every day, even slightly.

So, you can argue "no client patch".
But, the program we won't name interacts with the client for the most part. So, to interrupt that, you need to somehow interrupt its interactions. That will involve a client patch.
Even a change to the server code would likely require a client patch, if there are enough changes to interfere. So, we're back to client patch.

I won't say it's impossible. There are always ways.
But, they will largely mess with the legit players.
AND
There will always be ways around it.
For the problems of cheating, the devs might find a solution.
For the problems of the solution, the cheaters will find a solution.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Firstly, as I'd like to call for a source on "a third". I hate it when people pull numbers out of the air, so where's your justification for that number?
They would love to tell you their sources but it would violate our terms and services agreement that the cheat program they use :lick:

Secondly, it's not as easy as flicking a switch. They can't just wave a magic wand, and make the cheaters go away. Punkbuster may have helped, but look where that ended up.
That's correct, so instead of doing something about it, they do nothing :thumbsup: