• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My little rant on Ultima Online

Lizzard of Baja

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Okay, I have a few things I want to discuss about Ultima online.
First, Contacting Ultima online to go about player suggestions...:
There are a lot of people using Facebook these days, a lot of UO players. Ultima Online Facebook would be a great tool for uo players to post discussions or ideas or suggestions for uo, but you can only reply to an old link.
And talking about contacting Ultima online for suggestions and feed back supposedly there is somewhere on the uo.com website to do this. I go to the uo website and contact us page and get a blurb about this is the support page, this support page has no contact information. Now going to the UO herald site there is a post by Bonnie Armstrong. Well she has her email address there. I highly doubt that she wants to be soley the one contacted for anything and everything having to do with uo and probably does not have the time. I also wonder how much would just automatically be sent to her spam box.

Second, Advertisement...
On or about Fathers day there was a sale on the origin store for stygian abyss and high seas, they were both half off. How did I find out about it? Some player on Pac mentioned it. You would think that if EA/Origin wanted revenue they would have advertised for something like this say on their UO page or there Ultima Online Facebook page, and hey why not on the patching client page. I am all for UO getting added revenue as I am hoping that will increase our game play experience somehow. Also lets get some sales going on for other items. I like to buy things every now and then, and even though I highly believe everything in the land of Ultima online should be achieved by just playing (we pay 14 dollars a month) I also like sales and buying things and would be open to the idea. UO give me some sales!

Third, New players...
How are we ever going to get new players into the game?
I can't convince anyone I know to play this game even if I offer to help them, so I am assuming it is going to come from other random bored people surfing the internet and seeing some type of advertisement and thinking this might be a fun game to try out. It costs money to play, so it needs some type of hook and it needs to be fun. Where is the advertisement? Is it that expensive or just not worth it for EA? How about a funny youtube commercial with Bonnie Armstrong beating up a developer, maybe that would help. :p (Oh poor little developer, no I do not feel sorry for you, I have had a lot worse paying jobs and I am paying for this game to have fun to avoid thinking about them, and no it is nothing that bad, sheesh get your mind out of the gutter)
What is UO doing to help out new players? New Haven is nice, but seriously getting to 50 skill level is about it and a little bit of gold and useless armor is all they are going to get. It will take someone who is a vet and has a heart to be willing to help them out for them to get anywhere. All the old armor on weak monsters is crap armor, it is not going to get any where near the max 70's resist. Let's rework this in some format that a new player starting out at 50 skill level will be able to achieve. Also Maybe make something only a player with under a certain level of skill can get and possibly trade with someone who has gold and is willing to give up that gold.
New players in any game want to achieve skill, gold, and nice armor, they also want to start kicking butt. It's really not that difficult of a concept. I think all designers or anyone connected to this game should have to play this game at some point! And you shouldn't have to have a group of people in order to be able to achieve high end stuff, you can't count on others being around, say when you have about 10 minutes before work, or wake up at 3 am and can't sleep, or even it is the evening and you just want to tool around, without some random conversation about the shadow of someones etheral unicorn, yes I love that etheral unicorn shadow but come on! But seriously, that unicorn is super cute.

Fourth, Reward versus hard work.
Being that this is an MMORPG that not the majority of the players are now role-playing, The reward isn't just the community anymore. Should someone have to give up their life in order to achieve success in this game?
How can we contact the designers of this game and tell them we want more rewards and we don't want to commit out lives and health in order to get something. It is actually easier for me to buy uo gold with one hours wage than what it would take me a month to get in game (with hard work).

Fifth, Game Masters
They have to follow policy so are seen as the bad guys often. We the players end up spending hours of our lives to lose an item, have some bug stop us from getting a reward from some champ, or finding a bugged item from an IDOC, or even having our account hacked. What can a GM do for those situations, not anything that will really make us happy. I had my account hacked at one point. I lost several years worth of work, collections, memories, and I had a horrible experience contacting the uo website, then the gm, then the website again, each all of which did their darnedest to help me but because of policy could not do anything and just made me more frustrated in a frustrated period of my life. I eventually got help from Messana, which was really nice that they would do anything, after I had perceived I would be left with nothing. Anyways I rant, I think that GM's should be given the ability to help players a little more. Will this possibly influence players to use the help system to try and manipulate to get items? Probably, but making people happy helps everyone in game. And Making someone who is utterly distraught happy has to be worth the risk of joy to some scammer out there.. This leads me back to hacked accounts, really if there is nothing you can do for a hacked account, that just sucks. There has got to be something more that can be done for players who put considerable time and investment to not only be robbed by some other player, but then be told that nothing can be done for them.

Sixth, just more ranting
Item identification pink scrolls
These item identification pink scrolls are worthless, as item identification is no longer used in game.
Give me more animal taming pink scrolls and imbuing pink scrolls and other items that I need because I want to have fun rather than click click click click click click click wait wait wait click click click click wait wait wait click click click life drained away from me I would rather stab my eyeballs with a pencil than click click click click click wait wait wait wait wait wait click click click fail click click click boring click click click death by possible something click click click click click. You get the idea.
I started playing this game when I was 16 and if I have carpel tunnel syndrome because of mining or some other boring skill that not only drained the life out of me, lowered my metabolism because I was sitting down for several hours longer than I should have.. Well then I just hope some dev out there has problems sleeping at night. And. I hope, it is not because they live in a giant castle in texas and just realized they are paying too much for AC. Time to get solar power panels buddy. Yes save the environment to win back some karma.

Okay I am sure there are lots of you who have rants as well.
PS
I suck at decorating
I am a female and I prefer killing monsters to decorating a house...
If there is a UO god out there that can hear my prayer,
please give as much consideration to items that would make me happy, like more uber weapons and armor than (and not ephemeral as there should be punishment for that GRRRRR) a freakin house plant.
And As a consolidation prize, I'd like some cute dresses with the same mods as robes, such as conjurers garb and shroud of the condemned, I need more cuteness in my fighting wardrobe.

Last edited:

SuperKen

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to discredit anything said here but this seriously sounds like the words of a UO addict.

A person who knows that the game isn't good for them (carpal tunnel syndrome? lowered metabolism?), and has tremendous flaws (item id pink scrolls?) and yet can't give up this game for good.

I think any sane person who had this many complaints would simply stop playing.

UO's got us hook, line and sinker.

P.S. While on the subject of inane gameplay, how about fixing twigs and their ability to stop a grown adult from moving in a particular direction? I can run top speed and yet it is ~le twig de resistance~ that prevents me from pursuing my target. Uh huh.