• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My deep thoughts and philosophy about creating a Thief

W

Wahooka

First of all, the thief primarily has one purpose: to steal and accumulate gold and treasure. Making your thief into some sort of assassin or pvp killer makes absolutely no sense at all.

So based on this philosophy, there are 5 essential skills for a thief to have:

Snooping
Stealing
Stealth
Hiding
Lockpicking

Yes, I think a thief that can't pick locks would be a total joke! What kind of thief can't steal treasure from chests?

So now we are left with 2 or possibly 3 more skills to add.

What should be added?

I say that a thief won't be some sort of combat juggernaut, but it is very hard to run through dungeons or get your stats up if you can't kill and heal. How will you advance in the game with no ability to survive whatsoever?

So therefore, we have two possibilities:

Magery + Meditation OR

Fencing + Healing

Unfortunately, there isn't any room for Ninjitsu or Poisoning in this template. Poisoning I've heard isn't that effective, and we've already agreed the thief isnt a PvP machine. Ninjitsu would be great, but there just isn't enough room for it... these probably belong on an assassin character rather then a thief character.

What do you think?

Korik Bloodguard

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think either way you go with the last 2 skills you won't go wrong from an RP standpoint. Either a dexie or a mage thief could be really interesting to develop a character backstory for.

If we're being pragmatic, I'd go with Fencing and Healing. But even then, your damage will suffer without tactics, and your healing will suffer without anatomy... If this is the case, I'd drop Lockpicking. If you're not going to Fel, I'd also drop Snooping. This would allow you to take up Ninjitsu which would you could do an interesting job fitting into your thief persona :)

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless you plan on stealing from other players (which, let's be honest, doesn't pay as well as it used to) you don't need snooping.

Also, when it comes to hiding/stealth, save yourself some points and build your suit with items that give you a + skill bonus to each skill.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless you plan on stealing from other players (which, let's be honest, doesn't pay as well as it used to) you don't need snooping.

Also, when it comes to hiding/stealth, save yourself some points and build your suit with items that give you a + skill bonus to each skill.
I've logged on a thief twice in the last few months for something other than stealth and the result was about 80mill profit. I seriously disagree with your statement about paying well. I've only taken the time to steal two things.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It can be profitable, but these days populations in fel are much lower and between blessed items and insurance, pickings are slim. It's not like it used to be.

Unless you get lucky or you camp EM events or champ spawns, you're not going to do real well. It's a sad fact, but with very few exceptions, stealing from other players is not as profitable as it used to be.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
with how easy stealth allows thieves to move and escape almost any situation, it's genuinely difficult to die on a stealth thief at all anymore.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Train the stealing whith all the skill mods gear you can get. Can drop and add items depending on gain level. The barrels all around the top of castle brit walls have items of different weights. Hide and stealth gains going from barrel to barrel group. Take a packy for all the iron items to smelt later. Guards wack you short run to healers. With all the mod skill gear out there takes a few days to 120 stealing. With all the gear out there with imbued jewels and wrestle as a skill can reach nearly 900 skill points total.