• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My characters look stupid.

• Thread starter Locryn Finck
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3
L

Locryn Finck

So I tried the enhanced client finally. It runs good, and I love the "smooth" style of movement. For pvp purposes, the automatic avoidance of trees is wonderful and a bit overpowered. The backback is actually a nice change, and I like the chat interface (hitting Enter first really makes assigning macros to keys less painful.)

That being said:

My character looks stupid. Part of the joy of an MMO is popping open your profile and checking out your handiwork. "Damn that new artifact looks sweet" "That dye job goes perfectly!" etc etc. Don't deny it. It is a part of the UO joy. Right now, characters look so bad, it makes using the 2D worth it purely based on looks. This NEEDS to be looked at. Is it possible to integrate 2D profiles and characters with the other enhanced features? If they phase out the classic client for this, they will lose subscriptions.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm... I rather like the polished look of the EC paperdolls and also the fact that everything has its own slot. But to answer your question: i don't think it is possible to integrate the 2d paperdoll.

Also, I don't think the Classic Client will be phased out anytime soon. Too many people are still playing it. So we will be stuck with 2 clients for quite some time.

O

Old Man of UO

I don't have a problem with the paperdoll look in either client. Mostly I have it closed, or drag the gump off the screen to get it out of the way. I don't want the 2D profiles integrated, I LIKE the EC paperdolls.

That said, if this is the worst complaint about the EC, then I'd say that is a compliment. Threatening that UO will lose subscriptions based on the Classic Client paperdoll? That's just nonsense.

L

Locryn Finck

I'm shocked there isn't universal outrage over how horrible the characters look. Weird.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wish there were different stances. I still don't like how the male stands. The gear looks fine to me... much more detailed than Classic Client's paperdoll.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the EC paperdoll.

I have made my gargoyle some wing armor in fire cloth, and that realy looks wonderfull when flying. :)

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was outrage over the paperdolls in KR, thats why the female paperdoll looks better, but still like a hooker.

The male paperdoll is god-awful. Really, really bad.. And the default face is hideous.. Whoever though Will Farrel was an appropriate face model needs a public beating :gee:

They also need to work on clothing layering, and to take a look at some of the clothes themselves - some are so poorly done that its insulting.

F

Fink

Paperdolls, the men look awful, cramped, and wooden.. and the women too willowy. I don't think they're going to address that any time soon, though. They appear to have made their choices and, as a redesign would mean redrawing every wearable, conveniently write off any reworking as "a matter of taste".

I think there needs to be greater fidelity between the Classic and Enhanced client avatars, and some of the mobs. It's uneven, though. Ostards look like flailing noodle-monsters, but ki-rin are vastly improved.

The paperdolls are disparate too. The topknot hair on CC looks like a bald head with a hare krishna type tuft of hair, the goatee is an actual goatee (just chin hair). In EC the topknot is a full head of hair and a limp ponytail on top, and the goatee is a van dyke (moustache and connected beard).

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Speaking of paperdolls... if you are looking at someone's or even your own, and they polymorph, you end up with four paperdolls. Strange.

Some NPC hair is warped.

A garg that polymorphs to a human, looks weird.

Yup... a lot is still not finished. We'll be in beta for a while.

F

Fink

Yup... a lot is still not finished. We'll be in beta for a while.
The most discouraging thing is there appears to be no final release date scheduled. They seem content to let it languish in "beta" status as long as possible. You can only claim it is a "work in progress" for so long until you really have to show some.

O

omgmir

Gargoyles and females look good, but males are just downright awful.

I've created 6 chars since coming back to the game, guess what they are all female. I've tried making males, there isn't one half-way decent face in the bunch.. they are all terrible and out of place.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CC feathered hat > x100 EC feathered hat... it's just downhill from there...

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing I don't like are most of the male faces. The rest is awsome. Compared to EC, I think that the Classic Client paperdoll looks like it was from a 10 year old game. But wait.... it IS from a 10 year old game!

T

Tukaram

I like the EC paperdoll a lot better than the 2D, but I still prefer the LBR era paperdoll.