• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My character is being used in a story without my permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trip2017

Adventurer
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Dear fellow players,

It seems someone is spreading that my character Pitr, the Governor of New Magincia is "moving gold from New Magincia to Britain and our ships are being captured."

"You can't say someone's character is doing something for them without their knowledge or permission.. That's meta gaming."

"For fiction in general, writing a story that merely "mentions" a character, is not bad etiquette. If the story were to dictate something about that character, for example, speech or action, that is where a line is crossed."

You can decide for yourselves what this is:
https://playersofroles.proboards.com/thread/2411/plundered-gold

What would you do if it was your character and your story?

Kind regards,
Pitr

Phoebe Nox

Journeyman
You post lies about Role Players without finding the truth ..... Then when proven wrong you just ignore the truth

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By the player who was canvasing for votes on various Europa discord channels last election time I see.

Trip2017

Adventurer
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Regarding RP... everytime folk wishes to use my toon in a story, usually I get a message asking permission.
My reply is almost always "Yes, please be wise."

Now this feels like metagaming or propaganda.
Eitherway... it isn't something that promotes community.

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dear fellow players,

It seems someone is spreading that my character Pitr, the Governor of New Magincia is "moving gold from New Magincia to Britain and our ships are being captured."

"You can't say someone's character is doing something for them without their knowledge or permission.. That's meta gaming."

"For fiction in general, writing a story that merely "mentions" a character, is not bad etiquette. If the story were to dictate something about that character, for example, speech or action, that is where a line is crossed."

You can decide for yourselves what this is:
https://playersofroles.proboards.com/thread/2411/plundered-gold

What would you do if it was your character and your story?

Kind regards,
Pitr
The link you posted to isn't a "story," it's a "letter" that one character wrote to other characters. So technically, no one is violating the principles of those unattributed quotes you included in your post, as no one is portraying your character doing anything. Their character is just claiming something happened in a letter.

For example, in real life, sometimes I get political-themed e-mails or texts that make statements about a specific individual. I never assume that the subject of the e-mail or text is actually doing the things stated, only that the sender is claiming that they do these things.

That being said, if you are having trouble with another player's RP, I suggest you contact that player and try to work this out between the two of you. It's more likely to resolve whatever's upsetting you and maybe the two of you can set some ground rules in terms of what you're comfortable with RP-wise.

Phoebe Nox

Journeyman
and by not confronting directly your problems to the person you have the problem with you just come to a public place an post for pity. My suggestion is try resolving an issuse before you go dragging it into the public, go to the person directly and speak to them when you have problems but blocking people and ignoring them isnt trying to resolve problems and you are famous for blocking people instead of addressing a problem

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is neither propaganda nor metagaming. It is a letter from one character to another character, and your character doesn't know about it.

Trip2017

Adventurer
Governor
Stratics Veteran
"Moving gold from New Magincia to Britain and our ships are being captured."... isn't a perspective... it is action.

Phoebe Nox

Journeyman
I won't go into the GOLD part but last election was full of Gold being distributed even my nephew reported what he saw at cities. Maybe thats what was meant but it is a letter speaking of the situation is how I read it. Are you associated with the people who were buying votes?????

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So... it is propaganda.
If that was in response to my post, then I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I was trying to give a real life example of how it was a letter claiming something rather than a story where a character did something.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I am not exactly sure what all is afoot here, but it is outside of Stratics and the related drama doesn't belong here. Seeing that reports are hitting the queue on what is clearly some type of local rivalry and drama, this thread will be locked.

Please take this to private channels. If someone wishes to reach out to me to explain in more detail what is going on, my contact information is in my signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.