• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My Castle! When Do I Get My Castle?!?!?

• Thread starter Prince Caspian
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
P

Prince Caspian

Dammit!

I came to a dull realization today. (And "dull" is probably the key word)

A longtime goal of mine in Ultima Online is to own my own Castle. I've always maintained that I only upgrade housing -- much like the dreaded hermit crab, I only leave the old house if the new one is bigger.

Today I was tweaking up my ol' homestead... an 18x18 custom in Malas. I came to realize that I have 1,000 available storage, which means if I had double the storage space (as a castle would allow), I wouldn't need it.

Most important, I realized that I would hate not being able to customize my house appearance, as castles cannot be customized.

I customized my house to suit my playing style: my house has four minibuildings at each corner. The SW corner is my house, where my chars lounge about and my library is. The NW corner is the stable and craft house, where I keep my crafting supplies. The NE corner is my treasure tower, where I store all my collectables. Finally, the SE corner, a modest 4x4 mini-tower, is my Ready Room, a small area with my runes, re-fit equipment and ammunition.

This layout suits me well, and I realized I couldn't really duplicate it with a castle.

Maybe what I have now is the housing I really want? I get the creeping suspicion if I had a Castle, I'd probably give it away after a month, and go back to an 18x18.

But then, I'm ********.

L

Luna du Selene

Dammit!
This layout suits me well, and I realized I couldn't really duplicate it with a castle.

Maybe what I have now is the housing I really want? I get the creeping suspicion if I had a Castle, I'd probably give it away after a month, and go back to an 18x18.
You've just proven to yourself that size doesn't (always) matter ;)

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've just proven to yourself that size doesn't (always) matter ;)
Its only men who say that..asky youre woman if it realy matters, if she says no it doesnt then u got a tweener, if she say yes it does, then u know youre well hung

:bdh:

L

love2winalot

If you think a Castle can not be customized, then go to homes & castles section. There are ways that make parts of it look better than any 18x18 ever dreamed of looking.;)

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember owning a castle was a long time dream of mine. Moreso recently, i had an opportunity to own one only to realize that i have never had enough stuff to even begin to make one attractive.

J

jack flash

well just wait until they modify castles to have a 31x31 customisable cellar/basement :)

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mmm i remember when i first started with no house at all and every piece of land was fuilled...not a house for to be had....i shared a box in good freinds house....then i bought a 7x7 shop for a crazy 2m..... thats when 2m wasa lot of gold!!!! i loved that old marble shop but always yearned for a small tower!! lol crazy only 1 sq bigger but i wanted one..so i bought one!! then after that my goal was a large tower.. which eventually i placed....then i started wanting a keep ..which again i placed then finally the big castle!!!awesome.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, if you ever find yourself with a castle against your will and need to downgrade, let me know :)

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dammit!

I came to a dull realization today. (And "dull" is probably the key word)

A longtime goal of mine in Ultima Online is to own my own Castle. I've always maintained that I only upgrade housing -- much like the dreaded hermit crab, I only leave the old house if the new one is bigger.

Today I was tweaking up my ol' homestead... an 18x18 custom in Malas. I came to realize that I have 1,000 available storage, which means if I had double the storage space (as a castle would allow), I wouldn't need it.

Most important, I realized that I would hate not being able to customize my house appearance, as castles cannot be customized.

I customized my house to suit my playing style: my house has four minibuildings at each corner. The SW corner is my house, where my chars lounge about and my library is. The NW corner is the stable and craft house, where I keep my crafting supplies. The NE corner is my treasure tower, where I store all my collectables. Finally, the SE corner, a modest 4x4 mini-tower, is my Ready Room, a small area with my runes, re-fit equipment and ammunition.

But then, I'm ********.

Took me one year to place a castle in Fel on Pac.

The biggest mistake most people who would like to own a castle make is wasting time owning property in Malas where keep and castles can not be placed.

My castle started as an idoc less than 18 x 18 house on Fel east brit.

I noticed that there was free land around the idoc and it seemed a keep might fit, and it did.

Not long after an 18 x 18 in front of that my keep went idoc so I also placed there when it fell.

Someone placed a less than 18 x 18 to the left and someone also placed an 8 x 8 next door to my keep, so I had to wait to place a castle.

House to the right of my 18 x 18 fell, again, I placed on that spot.

So for several months I owned a large chunk of that neighborhood.

Then the guy to the left quit UO, sold his accounts and the new owner collapsed his less than 18 x 18, so that only the 8 x 8 was blocking my castle at this point.

Another month or so and it started to decay too so for the next five days all I could think was castle castle castle.

When the 8 x 8 fell I used the new "I wish to resize my house feature" on the keep in back and simply collapsed my remaining 18 x 18 in front of the keep since I had let the smaller plot to the right of the 18 x 18 go already. Yes I had a helper collapse the house for me.

I wish to resize my house is a great feature.

If you really want a castle just try to think ahead and get a good house spot in fel or trammel that could potentially become a castle if the neighbor houses fall.

Of course it helped alot that I am a stay at home mom who could be on during idoc hours of 10am-2pm cst.

S

Sindris

I have played since beta. Never owned a castle in all that time on any shard I have played on. I wouldn't be upset if I was able to get a castle, but my keep is really enough for me these days. All a castle would be for would be bragging rights.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In 1 week I tried tower and keep, but castle give you a lot of space :D
The only things is that you must like its style... if you dont like the castle style take care your 18x18 ;)

If a day the devs puts a 31x31 customizable, we must remember that you will need a 31x31 plain spaces without rock or trees... castles can have a tree inside the walls and its a good thing because is a free deco item :D

G

galefan2004

Being able to customize a house is huge to me. The fact that you can't customize anything bigger than an 18x18 means I will continue to enjoy my 18x18.

G

galefan2004

Its only men who say that..asky youre woman if it realy matters, if she says no it doesnt then u got a tweener, if she say yes it does, then u know youre well hung

:bdh:
The only issue with that is that its a man's dilema not a woman's dilema. The majority of women really don't care how big a man's junk is. Its men that become obsessed with it and that is mostly for bragging rights and nothing else.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a castle, 5 large houses, 10 small houses and 18 banks full of stuff and I'm down to 100 items left in storage space

I could easily easily easily occupy 4 times the amount of space I currently have without even blinking. I don't know how you people manage on so small an amount of lockdowns.

I would expand out my BODs by a factor of 10, my tmap collection would triple, I would keep a full collection of growing plants and I would collect a ton of sand and craftables etc. The current lack of storage space is so limiting for what I'd like to start gathering and putting together.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Easy, I dropped a SUBSTANTIAL portion of my item count thanks to the Cleanup. Before then I was sweating on storage, but now it's not bad.

Plus I do run throughs from time to time on my belongings and toss weapons and armor and whatnot that I KNOW I'll never use.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd rather own 4 18x18's than a castle

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Arrrr, me would like 4 igloos on Ice island with the storage capacity o' 4 castles!

A

Ashyn

In all my play time, I never had a castle. But, I'm known to downgrade to get "spots" I like as opposed to worry about size.

However, I have to say this --- One of the biggest peeves I have in Ultima (and probabaly the only real peeve) is player greed. When I see one person owning mutiple castles (or a multitude of houses in any one given area), it simply turns my stomache that a player can be that greedy (or perhaps it's cyber pride/power that can be obtained more easily than it can be in the real world, who knows). Of course, you can argue that with "well, if they want to pay for accounts to hold those houses, that's their right."

Yeah, that's absolutely true - but when little Johnny kicks all the sand out of the sand box into his little private sand-stash, you won't find anyone left in the sand box (not wanting to kick little Johnny's butt). That's why MOST parents teach their kids to play fairly, treat others how they want to be treated and to share their toys.

C

Cysphruo

my castle has 1000 lockdowns used of 4600 total available :/
as someone who did idocs for a very long time, ive cut down to the bare essentials, i know what i might ever need and what i should keep.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In all my play time, I never had a castle. But, I'm known to downgrade to get "spots" I like as opposed to worry about size.

However, I have to say this --- One of the biggest peeves I have in Ultima (and probabaly the only real peeve) is player greed. When I see one person owning mutiple castles (or a multitude of houses in any one given area), it simply turns my stomache that a player can be that greedy (or perhaps it's cyber pride/power that can be obtained more easily than it can be in the real world, who knows). Of course, you can argue that with "well, if they want to pay for accounts to hold those houses, that's their right."

Yeah, that's absolutely true - but when little Johnny kicks all the sand out of the sand box into his little private sand-stash, you won't find anyone left in the sand box (not wanting to kick little Johnny's butt). That's why MOST parents teach their kids to play fairly, treat others how they want to be treated and to share their toys.

WRR owns 5, count them, 5 Luna City houses on Pac! (Someone mentioned to me that Sandman keeps buying them up).

Maybe Sandman would "share" one with you if you explained that greedy people on UO is one of your "biggest peeves"?

A

Ashyn

how can you judge someone just because they play differently then you? if someones enjoying playing the game then how are you going to judge them and then say your quitting over it??? get over yourself and play the game, or do you not play the game for fun? go find something fun to do...
Get over myself? I'm the most humble person you'll ever have chance to meet (and won't). This crap in game makes me sick. People have struggles ever day in this world and you sign on an MMO to get away from those and have to put up with all this ****. Don't tell me to get over anything - direct it to the people who need to realize what a game is about - not personal game or greed.

Later

S

Sheridan

Posts were removed to clean up some trolling, accusations and personal attacks that were being launched.

We are NOT going to allow every single thread to turn into a WRR-bashing, accusatory trollfest. Your personal vendettas and agendas have no place on the Stratics forums.

A. Show respect at all times.

B. Help build the Community.
The success of our forums depends upon the quality posts of our participants. We are proud of the success of our forums and give our thanks to those who have chosen to make our forums their out-of-game home. To ensure continued success we are posting these guidelines so that all participants of the Stratics forums understand what is considered unacceptable behavior in the forums and can result in a temporary suspension or a permanent ban.

C. Personal attacks are prohibited.This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum, especially in a personal way.

D. Trolling is prohibited.Trolling is whenever someone is clearly, deliberately posting in a manner for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the board. Trolling DOES NOT encourage further discussion in the long run, it only encourages personal attacks (if left unchecked).

T

Tiamat

I lurve my castle, especially now that ladders are out). I can create rooftop gardens thanks to those, while also having many individual rooms and hallways and decorate doors and floors and courtyard entrances (you can lock stuff down on the stairs now!) and lots of other things.

Of course, I could probably do this with an 18x18, too... well, not the hallways though. 18x18 doesn't actually leave much space for long hallways, far as I can tell.

As it is, I still haven't finished decorating it by far. If I had an 18x18, I probably would have never finished customizing that, either :lick:

(I brought my castle with my ENTIRE UO life savings of 125 mil that I accumulated over the course of 7 years, 3 years ago... or so. Been a while so my memory could be off. I'm also NOT a particularly heavy buy-low-and-sell-high merchant, so a vast amount of my money was made from 7 years of monster farming, ingot mining, selling off no-longer-obtainable junk I accumulated as a newbie packrat like furs, and granite furniture sales. ...yea, granite furniture sales. Those were the days...)

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I owned a few in my day, but always sell them off, 18X18 are way more fun because of the custom aspect... I outgrew it though, to many bods, and had to get a keep, they are at least a bit better on the layout. BUT I wish I could go to an 18X18 again, just to make it more my own... but damn bods wont let me. :(

T

The Home Guild

There is no malas castles unless gm placed them in a special area.
So,unless you're in trammel facet your castle idea is lost.