• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mongbats

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greater Mongbats should be able to go 1-5 not limited to 1-3! Thats all Thank You.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do we really need to punish ourselves even more? Find a black or white tiger, they have the best fighting graphics.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
.... but just for fun - was not really tired yesterday evening (also caused of another more private thing)... went then to moonglow... and saw a mongbat...first thought I had seeing it...
Look.. this was once the most dangerous creature that killed my first char nearly instantly the first time I entered the game Nov. 2000 in Haven. Freshly left "Baldur's Gate" where you could pause the game with space bar - holy **** the game couldn't stop - zero ideas what to do now - and the first monster on the gang outside was this dangerous creature!!!

That was memories :D....

Nonetheless I tame a lesser ... 1 > 2 ... and he's fighting hinds now .... Wow... :D

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Saw your profile picture rightaway and gniffled at the first post. ;) Our tamer also has a Mongbat since aaaages, so she'd also like them to be able to get past that barrier. But yours looks impressive! On a slightly related note, we were amazed the winged brethren called Imps can't get past 4?! And maybe even more that they now start at 3 (and thus auto-lose their pack instinct advantage as well!) with such flimsy survivability?! But apologies if that is derailing your thread.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saw your profile picture rightaway and gniffled at the first post. ;) Our tamer also has a Mongbat since aaaages, so she'd also like them to be able to get past that barrier. But yours looks impressive! On a slightly related note, we were amazed the winged brethren called Imps can't get past 4?! And maybe even more that they now start at 3 (and thus auto-lose their pack instinct advantage as well!) with such flimsy survivability?! But apologies if that is derailing your thread.
I am a firm believer in thread derailment :) I have been known to derail my own threads.............. often :) Can't remember if my pic is a piece of old fan art or one of the official concept art pieces for the mongbat. I don't see this guy ever being a main battle pet and the 108 taming requirement is a bit insane but I always thought the 72 for a fresh one was a bit over the top. But I can see it as a pet that comes out just to have some fun with.

Have not gotten to a imp yet but Imps are on the list for next week. So many things to tame and get through basic training and then real train up. Hate to admit this but I maxed the stable slot on 3 of my tamers and it is going to take me a very long time to to real train 126 pets once all those stable slots are filled with pets out of basic training. Mongbats, Imps and a lot of the lower end pets fit very well into different RP styles so don't have to be Scrolled out Hiryu battle strength but on the other hand if we are going to drop lesser Hiryus and Beetles to 1 slot pets trainable to 5 slots...... Why put the 3 slot limit on Mongbats or anything for that matter :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am working on a Animal Taming 101 guide for lower end pets. But here is where I start all of my lower ranked pets from Chickens to Mongbats :) New Haven Spectral spellbinders. Some shards have the house in the NE Corner of old haven you can use, some that house is private and others it is public. Boat is better anyway as you can get a lot more casting.

1 Training Resisting Spells.jpg

The goal here is not so much to GM resisting spells but to raise stats. If you let the spellbinders keep whacking the pet after the pet is GM resisting spells it will take the pets Str, Stam and Dex to 125 and the Mongbat had I believe 27 HP before he started Pre Basic Training.
1 Training Resisting Spells and stats up.jpg

Once pre basic training is done (getting stats up and wrestling and tactics up to 55-60 Zombies in old have get the wrestles tactics up pretty fast. After the stats are up) Pick a tough critter and use a second tame or have a friend with a pet that can't die get the critter to target it. I like Dread Pirates because they are easy to hit and give Maximum gains (DO NOT ADD WRESTLING MASTERY) Unless you add in the last round of upgrades training on dread pirates. It gives disarm and disarming a Dread pirate is as bad as disarming Medusa, you will die, your second tamer will die and all of your pets will die :) Sometimes the DP will retarget in this pic for whatever reason he lost target lock on the Cu and targets the fire beetle. This pic was during 1-2 training so the mongbat had 90hp and beetle 100 and bad resist so they will die FAST if targeted.

1 Training Now fight things that give gain %.jpg

It is a bit slow from 1-2 and 2-3 but a lot faster than anything else I have tried. This is where the 55-60 Wrestle and Tactics and the 125 dex and Str from Spell binder training pay off. While the dread pirates have huge hit points, as long as they have the bow in hand they are easy to hit with that wrestle and tactics skill level. If you are not hitting you are not gaining.
2 Training is slow 1-2-3.jpg

Using a high end pet as a meat shield with healing or 20 HPR works as the DP damage with 20hpr regenerates faster than it is taken.

2 Training is slow 1-2-3 neat shield helps.jpg

1-2 and 2-3 you get 100% training on all pets from a DP with I believe .70 per gain 3-4 you get 50% training per pirate with 2.5 per gain. 4-5 you get 1.25 per gain and cap at 25% training per pirate. Low end pets take around 1.5-2 hours training on DPs. Higher ends like CUs, nightmares, Hiryus etc I can train to max in about a hour....... If I can keep the pirates alive long enough for maximum gains per pirate.

Drawbacks to training on Dread Pirates. It takes a ship, heavy cannons, fusecords, cannon balls and heavy powder charges and being fairly adept at scuttling ships. SO it is a bit on the expensive side if you are not into the high seas and ship to ship combat. Unless you make your own Fuse Cords, Cannon balls and have ship paintings or mine lots of saltpeter to make your heavy powder charges (And Fuse Cords) Personally I have 20 ship paintings and spend one game day per week mining salt peter making black powder and turning it in to 4000-5000 fuse cords, so I have 6 game days of ship combat if I want...... I spend A LOT of time hunting dread pirates and merchant ships. Most Merch ships give up 3,000-5000 turn in points and the pirate ships 500-1000 turn in points and with luck more orc ship plans than special worthless ammo for the cannons. Killing the DPs instead of binding them gives some very good loot as well. Got a clean major Katana last night with 40ssi, 50DI, SC and 150 Luck and 100% cold.......... It went right to the blacksmith and his forged metal of artifacts for a gold enhancement and a 255 POF and is now in the hands of my high luck swordsman tamer with 190 luck on it. Not a bad piece of loot obtained while training up a Mongbat and a Fire Beetle :)

Other critters work as well as long as they have high HP and are relatively easy to hit at 55-65 wrestle tactics Rotting Corpses are one and the targeted critter should be a CU training healing or even a character training healing. Just anything that has high enough HP that can't kill the targeted meat shield and is easy enough to hit with relatively low combat skill.

Some will argue this is cheating, but it is attended..... BORING during the spell binder part but attended. Pretty much every tamer has been using the binders to train resisting spells and dex/stam up on GDs since they ruined haven and added the binders. It is/was a safe way to get a unbonded pet started training and in the stables to wait for the bonding to finish training. Ideally a friend would bring their pet on the ship for the meat shield rather than using a second, third or fourth accts tamer. That does not workout so well on the low pop shards I play...... Kind of like getting a skilled focus for spell weaving if you don't have the weavers for a full circle on your accts odds are you ain't going to get a full circle. So is is cheating? I don't think so but everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I am attended and my critters and myself do occasionally die, so there is risk. Phase one pre basic training with the binders...... There is nothing to be gained except stats and resisting spells on a character or a pet. A few years back I did have a GM appear on my boat, say "Hello are you there?" I replied "Nope but my character is, I am just sitting here watching him" and he says "Ok got a report you were unattended, have a nice day." So that leads me to believe that this tactic/technique is NOT considered cheating or illegal. So it really comes down to your own personal belief as far as I can tell. There is also a large difference in having more than one client open or using 2-3 computers with a client open and Multiboxing with a 3rd party program chaining the different clients together or running the individual clients. My set up is 3 computers, 3 screens, 3 mice, and 3 keyboards in a half circle around my chair, I can see each screen and interact with each one. LOL I run ZERO 3rd party programs and don't even have UOA on any of my accounts. So I do have a lot of hotkeys/macros set up though :) And have been known to use a bolt with a couple of nuts on it as a key weight. Hey the finger gets sore holding the V key down mining the saltpeter out of the niter deposits :)

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I tamed a 50hp small Hellcat in Blood today, which turned out to be 1 slot.
Ran around New Haven, had it kill everything.
At Wrestling 50ish, I did Polar Bears till stat max (125/125/125), at which point Wrestling was 70ish.
My cat went up from 1 to 2 slot when HP reached 100
Went straight down to Shame 5 to train at the Crazed. Was a little shaky with no resists, but it went well. Went from 2 to 3 slots.

Got another levelup 3 => 3 afterwards, losing it's feline pack instinct.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Thanks for typing that all out Tyrath! Even with pictures! :thumbsup: We feel multiple accounts is not cheating, we use up to 3 at a time, though one computer tends to overheat and shut down when we try that longer than just getting an arcane circle... When playing with multiple accounts there is plenty of risk (depending on the situation) and we do pay for them so we don't see why that would be cheating.

Also a question for Omukai, or perhaps in general, since we saw repeatedly mentions of not fully trained and even not bonded pets being trained at the Crazed Mages in Shame 5?! By coincidence, we explored Shame 5 for the first time last week, and tested the Crazed with a Summoned Earth Elly. Those **** do fire breaths of 120 damage?! So this leaves us puzzled: HOW?! We never dare train unbonded pets for fear of any unforeseen trouble. (In or out of UO.)

kazeandi

Adventurer
They're casters. I don't know about fire breath, but they use everything, from KVS to Poison or Invis. At 12%, they go into healing frenzy, running around, dodging poison walls.
They don't hit hard. 1-2 dmg hits with their tiny Trump fists, occasionally a 15 dmg special.

I wouldn't take an unbonded pet down there for several reasons, like roaming Vortexes or someone dragging the Burning around, but the Crazed himself is rather cute.

Try to keep mana usage to a minimum, tainted mana will hurt you and damage your equipment.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Then we think we confused him with the burning mage. Thanks for explaining! But when we were there they were more or less in one screen, so we assumed they spawn close to each other.