• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Mining/Lumberjacking race question

T

Thanous Atl

Hi guys;

My miner/jacker is a human. I noticed that elves get a bonus to special resources... is it worth it to convert him?

B

bosskram

If you don't want to convert to elf you could just gather your resources in Fel you get bonus resources there as well. But ofcourse there is the chance of being pk'd so you'll have to think that one through a bit.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's a matter of weighing (pardon the pun) the increase in gathered resources with the greatly lessened ability to carry them as an elf.

You get an increase in wood taken, and an increase in the ML Gems (mining and amber from LJ) as a elf, but if you gather in Fel or hostile monster areas, you become extremely more vulnerable to being killed because of weight issues preventing you from escaping. There's also an increase in ore, but it's negligible compared to the lumberjack wood increase, if you mine only quality ore spots to begin with.

Plus, unless you take a bag of sending with you (and lots of powder) you'll have to stop to unload about twice as often as an elf to unload your gathered stuff. While a fire beetle and packy combo will help with this for a miner, logging is likely to put you overweight, if not losing wood from pack capacity, from just the chopping process, and the greater weight of wood will make even a 5-packy train have to make more trips to drop stuff (unless you auto-drop all normal logs using UOAssist)

My lumberjack is an elf, but that's only because he's my carpenter, and uses the elf-only Song-woven mantle sleeves for the +10 Music. He's also a miner (for gathering stone and sand for his masonry and glassblowing), but all my ore/gem mining is done with a Human that's Legendary Smith/Macing that hunts ore elementals for a living by digging with Gargoyle Pickaxes most of the time.

T

Thanous Atl

hah

I used to have my mining on my crafter back when I played.... two or more years ago.

However, since I do mine/jack in Fel I decided to put it on my thief! That way I can hide, etc. Plus I put other things on my crafter... which looks like will continue that way since apparently imbuning is a really good thing to do.

So the increased rare gain is not worth it as an elf?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Depends on your definition of worth it - some friends of mine swear they get 2-3 times what I do, yet when I tried elf I saw no change, other than the trees went longer before running out of wood (which would be great if trees weren't randomly changing wood types).

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Human get +10% on amount of resources and around 40% colored/60% normal split.
Elf get 60% colored/40% normal split.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry, R Traveler, but the 60/40 & 40/60 stuff has been conclusively disproven for mining.

It actually appears that there is some sort of older code that the current devs have no knowledge how it works, that the Devs applied their "20% elven bonus" to.

Extensive testing has shown that every resource square has its own, INDEPENDENT, iron to color ratio chance, that does not change through ore type changes (And comes into play even for iron sites, when elevated with tools). Spots I've tested with a human that routinely give 70% colored ore, ALWAYS give approximately that much, and spots that give 5-10% at best, always stay nearly all-iron (which my 2 sets of books helped me test, after the ore randomization). The 40% colored figure for humans given by the current devs seems to be pulled out of someone's nether regions, or at best based on designer notes that never made it into the game, by someone that was long gone before Age of Shadows. It may be that the 40% was the center point of the RANGE that ore sites might give colored ore, when generated initially (and the number generated becomes permanent), but it's not a flat 40% per resource square.

I've personally got several spots marked in books, that I no longer use (I prefer mining mountainsides, rather than recalling around, after the ore change), that routinely gave my human 85%+ colored ore, 20+ digs per trip, for a test of 10 or more visits, regardless of what the vein's base material was before I used a prospector's tool on it. That shouldn't be possible if a human only has a 40% colored ore chance.

And, that if the Elf bonus works at all, it multiplies the colored ore percentage by 120% for a "20% bonus", resulting in a 10% colored node becoming a 12% colored node, and a 70% colored node becoming 84% colored. Still a significant bonus, but not 150% of a human's color ore output (and made less effective over time by the human getting 10% more total ore).

It seems to work as stated for LUMBERJACKING, but that system was created from scratch by the developers that describe it. On the other hand, we all know too well about misunderstandings concerning legacy code (Tailor BODs being 33% exceptional for 6+ years, after all the dev statements had said 50%, for example; or the yes/no/yes answers on the Samurai's Perfection luck bonus, because the dev that coded it put the calculation someplace later devs never thought to look, until they found it by accident a year after they claimed it didn't exist, and must have not made it out of the SE beta).