• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Mining for regular gems after reading book not working right?

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My GM miner Elf read the Gem book. I set my shovel to mine ore & gems. I use EC and target by resource and I got squat. For a long while, nothing but ore. Got one rare gem. Then I died and I gave up.
Does it work?

L

LadyMargaret

works fine for me. Are you wearing mining gloves? Might help, I wear +5s.

I use the old 2D client btw.

D

Drawde2

EC here, and no trouble getting normal gems. No idea what's wrong there. Though you may have simply gotten a bad run, unlikely as that is.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tried it and works. Dunno why it didn't right after I read that book, but it's fine.
I have to set the shovels to mine gems and can't set them within the edit macro boxes.
One thing I noticed, I can't mine like I did in KR. I have two target by resource in the same macro and set to repeat 10 times. This used to get me 20 swings which was perfect for me. Now, it only uses one shovel at a time and not both. Even a delay in between won't fix it.
How do you guys mine?

D

Drawde2

Is there a trick to "target by resource"? I can only get it to work sometimes.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When one gets down to it, the use of multiple tools to get around the mining timer was a minor exploit, and they probably fixed it with the SA release,

D

Drawde2

I meant normal usage. I'm standing right next to a mountain, and I get "you can't see that" type of messages.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are spots where target by resource can't reach. But you can't reach by targeting anyway. I just move a bit, or go to a different spot.

What's a mining timer? I thought it swung at a certain speed and that's it.
So we can't mine more than 10 swings anymore? Seems really slow if i add that delay in between two target by resources. I liked the old way.

D

Drawde2

There are spots where target by resource can't reach. But you can't reach by targeting anyway. I just move a bit, or go to a different spot.
I have no problem mining right there by hand. It's just 'tbr' that has the problem finding a target. It's nice the few times it works, since it's faster than 'use shovel, target area', but it rarely ever finds a target. Yet I, standing in the same spot, can target manually.

D

Drawde2

One trip strip mining the mountains in Cove, Fel. Human, so I sometimes get the additional resource bonus. And, of course, the double Fel bonus.

4 ML gems.

Amber: 15
Amethyst: 9
Citrine: 7
Diamond: 4
Emerald: 20
Ruby: 7
Sapphire: 6
Star Sapphire: 8
Tourmaline: 4

They take the place of the ore, like mining for stone does. I don't think there's a difference in the chance for each type, though there might be a slight one.

Not the best study, and not lots of gems. But still some if you're just after normal ingots.