• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mining: Day One

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I am traveling today but I could not resist logging in to try out the new mining system. It reminds me of a mining system I have used before in another game but I can't remember which game. It may be AC2. I remember being very aggravated with it at the time. Anyways my first question is this: If three people are surveying at the same level in the same area, are they competing for the same 'node'? If so, then we will have the same issue we have with other farming, except for adding the extra steps to find the node. If each individual is finding thier own node, and this makes sense since we are crafting our own survey map, then I would like to see something like this implimented for wood gathering. I am assuming as you raise your level you go to different areas and find more advanced stuff. You'll need this stuff for other crafting. It takes TIME. This encourages the idea that you can't be good at everything and will hopefully encourage player trade and eventually player vendoring. In other words, a dependace on each other and growth of community.

now for the problem. the map. The current map is fine for getting in the general area, but then is useless. We will eventually need to be able to zoom up and see better what direction we need to go. The level of zoom could be regulated by skill level. BUt it need to be there.

also, it might be easier to see and produce zoom if the map were art rather than screen cap.

Last edited:

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
There's no competition for nodes, because the resource is tied to the map, not the world. Essentially the map spawns the item for you when you're in the right place.

Yeah, I could do something like this for high-end wood. I do still want stuff to spawn on the landscape, though. I think it'll be okay and not too crowded, as long as it's just a few categories of stuff. Wood, fruits, and mushrooms were the main stuff you'd find laying about. Even so, I was planning to add "grow boxes" where you could grow mushrooms and fruits while you're offline. So a secondary system to get lumber might make sense too.

On the map -- I'll add some cardinal direction info to the message that's displayed when you use a map, and let you dig up the resource from a few meters further away. Hopefully that will make it work better! The idea was that it should require a small amount of hunting around. But the hunting is too irritating right now. If these changes don't make it fairly painless to find the resources, I might just ditch that part altogether, and instead let you collect the resource once your within the red square. (I'd make the square much smaller in that case, though.) Will keep playing with it to find something that works!

Last edited:

Avila

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Probably something should be done to prevent the nodes spawning on sheer cliffs, was going to upload an absurd picture but the forums don't like me, was on a totally non-ascendable cliff face, got to it going down and fortunately didn't overshoot.

Attachments

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Probably something should be done to prevent the nodes spawning on sheer cliffs, was going to upload an absurd picture but the forums don't like me, was on a totally non-ascendable cliff face, got to it going down and fortunately didn't overshoot.
yeah I had several of these by the tigers last night