• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mic/sound problems

M

Mr X

Ok I updated my drivers and I have not crashed my sound yet(see my other thread). Anyway now when I go to talk my voice is normal volume, but say I hit my push to talk button and there is a chicken clucking in uo, that is all anyone can hear in vent. The UO sounds are super loud for my guildmates in vent when I hit my push to talk button. Or if I talk while someone else is talking I get the same effect. Or rather my guildmates do. Any solutions? thanks.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just for clarity, when does it work?

Look through vent's options to see if it lets you choose the source for the mic. Sounds like it's set to your card's output instead of input, but it shouldn't change sources like that. It should either all work or never work.

M

Mr X

Works fine as long as there is no uo background noise or nobody else is talking. People can't here me over me opening a chest in game, all they hear really loud is the chest opening.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if you turn off your speakers, it still happens?

I just want to be clear that it's doing something internally, and not an overly sensitive mic.

And when you push to talk while somebody else is talking, you just echo the other person back really loudly? Is your voice in there anywhere at all?

Try playing anything else with sound, like pinball.exe, and see if it does the same thing. Or just set the sound from the systray over and over, and see if the binging overrides your voice too.

M

Mr X

I turned off my speakers and UO was still loud in vent. I then just ran vent and no uo and no speakers and ran pinball and it was super loud. So even though I could not hear my pinball game my guildmate could. WTF? Why are they hearing what I cannot when I talk in vent?

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I'll jump in on this one.

First, I read the other thread and this one, which sound card do you have? Is it onboard?

Second, if it is onboard, do you have the option inside the control panel and sounds to adjust which jack is configured for a particular input?

Third, what operating system are you using? Vista lets you control sound volume with each program independently, and there is an issue with that and ventrilo I will explain if necessary.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure what you mean by onboard.
If you look at the back of your computer, are the speaker ports on a card in one of the slots closer to the bottom, or are they closer to the top, near the power supply?

Browse to your UO folder, and go into the Support folder. Run EasyInfo.exe.

Tell us what it says for Sound Device and Sound Driver.

M

Mr X

Sound Device Realtek AC97 Audio PASS

Sound Driver 5.10.00.6300 Unknown Compatibility

It also says my video card has Unknown Compatibility

Can we fix/improve that or what does Unknown Compatibility mean?

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unknown compatibility means that easyinfo does not have this device in its database. This does not mean it wont work, just that EAsyinfo doesn't know.

What model number is your motherboard? Usually stamped in white somewhere near the middle of the board. If it is a retail computer, the make and model of the computer will suffice.

M

Mr X

Is there another way of finding the model number? I cannot seem to locate any model number on the board. And my machine is not a retail machine custom job.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mr. X, do you have any of the documentation that came with your computer? Chipset ID for the purpose of drivers for onboard devices can be a royal pain, but if you have the original audio driver disk & manual for the onboard sound, that came with the comp, it makes it easy. If it was a custom job, they often tape the motherboard manual and associated device papers inside the chassis...guessing that wasn't the case with yours or you'd have seen it when you opened up to look at the board.

-Skylark

M

Mr X

Mr. X, do you have any of the documentation that came with your computer? Chipset ID for the purpose of drivers for onboard devices can be a royal pain, but if you have the original audio driver disk & manual for the onboard sound, that came with the comp, it makes it easy. If it was a custom job, they often tape the motherboard manual and associated device papers inside the chassis...guessing that wasn't the case with yours or you'd have seen it when you opened up to look at the board.

-Skylark
I inherited it from a family member. It was an upgrade from my old crappier cpu so I took it. I looked on my motherboard and there are numbers all over it and white stickers with numbers all over it and it means nothing to me. Sorry I cannot help you more in that department. But there is not other way to look up this information on the cpu itself?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Double click your speaker icon, and go to Options, Properties. Select the Input, make sure the proper Mic port is selected in the bottom half, and hit OK.

You see the "select" check box in the left of my image? Whenever that's checked, that means that it's using your microphone when it's looking for input. Leave the window visible, and start playing pinball or something. See if the checkbox disappears whenever it makes a noise. Then hop on Vent and try talking while noise is being made, and see if that checkbox ever unchecks.

M

Mr X

I do not have those options or check boxes. But I was able to turn my front down. Whether that is front mic or not I don't know. Anyway as soon as a guildmate gets on vent I can test it. Thanks.

M

Mr X

Well that was a failure. I dropped my front down all the way and now have no sound at all.

M

Mr X

The problem is under the mixer device drop down window. I have no other options other than realtek ac97 Audio. There is no input or output tab.

M

Mr X

One thing i have noticed is my mic seems to be always on now. Meaning if I tap my mic my speakers amplify the tapping. This was not the case before my driver update. It never worked like that in the past.

M

Mr X

nope, blew out my last speaker and problem not fixed. Still getting feedback through my mic.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Damn. Ah well, I tried =]

Was it the same thing described in that link?