• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mesanna's offer to Catskills.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First, a small explanation. I am posting this as a neutral party on this shard.
The offer is extended to ALL the shard and is not the province of any particular guild or group.

The offer:
For each town that is being protected by any form of guardian guild Mesanna will convert an empty building, or build new, in order to create a 'headquarters' for the protectors of that town.

Also.
Behind the castle she will build an office which will house a plaque for each town detailing who is protecting it.

Players/guilds wishing to protect a town should contact the EMs through the website Feedback : Catskills.

Towns currently unprotected are: Cove, Buc's Den, Delucia, Magincia, Minoc, Moonglow, Papua, Skara Brae and Vesper.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where came the confusion?
Well - your uoforums post is on:
UO Catskills Guilds > Royal Britannian Guard (RBG) > RBG (OOC) public

Which, fairly obviously, led to the belief that the post on Stratics also belonged on:
UO Guild Forums > Royal Britannian Guards (RP Theme) > Out of Character Discussions (Public)

A logical conclusion for anyone not actively involved in the project to reach.

BTW, there is also an error in your information. Mesanna has not offered to copy the Sonoma building on Catskills.

Reading your post myself, as an outsider, I find there is a lack of distinction between RBG player guilds and EA's Royal Britannia Guards - troops of Queen Dawn. The invitation, as I understand it, is for players in any guilds, to take part in the event, taking the role of Queen Dawn's troops protecting the towns.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Forgive my asking if my question may sound dumb. Maybe I missed a piece of information. Could you please clarify:

• What are the towns to be protected from?
  • Is there any in-game consequence if a person or guild accepts the offer?
  • Can a person/guild decide to help protect a town that already has protection?
  • Are there any in-game duties connected?
  • What is the object of this headquarters building?

Maybe it might be interesting for the United Pirates to "protect" Buccaneer's Den. But to figure out whether this would make sense, I need above questions answered.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Forgive my asking if my question may sound dumb. Maybe I missed a piece of information. Could you please clarify:

• What are the towns to be protected from?
  • Is there any in-game consequence if a person or guild accepts the offer?
  • Can a person/guild decide to help protect a town that already has protection?
  • Are there any in-game duties connected?
  • What is the object of this headquarters building?

Maybe it might be interesting for the United Pirates to "protect" Buccaneer's Den. But to figure out whether this would make sense, I need above questions answered.
It only makes sense that Buccaneer's Den be under pirates look at it it's a pirate hide away for the most part.

Random yuppies running around "protecting" pirates doesn't make sense.
It's be more like RP Pirates inhabiting it as the top pirates.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasn't this text (below) in the original post, which a Stratics moderator moved to Stratics RBG OOC?
No, I was the one who moved it. The original post was just a link to the RBG boards on UOForums. Seeing as how I'm not involved in RBG (the guild or the EM events) I have difficulty telling the two apart sometimes. Being Pitr linked it to the RBG Forums I assumed it was RBG (guild) business, hence the move.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
No one cares about your petty arguement with Black Sun.
You want to argue with him you should do it via PM

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We are trying, as a group, to sort out confusion about posts. No one knew at first who moved the original post from here to there. It could have been Black Sun, but also it could have been any of the moderators. It really makes no difference who did it. Whoever moved it, I guess, thought the initials RBG made it more appropriate for the RBG OOC forum whereas the entire content was intended to make it applicable to all Catskills. Maybe that was not clear enough.
It was me that moved it, because it was not clear at all (to me, someone who has no involvement in any RBG incarnation) that the post in question was related to RBG the EM event, and not the guild.

That being said, I have nothing further to add to this thread.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will clarify for the RBG Theme Forums we have stood up on Stratics --- it is for the entire theme, and I showed it to Messana and she knows of it. I assured her there is no private forums there and everything is out in the open, available to everyone equally and not associated to any 1 guild. I have also linked at the top of the OOC forum in a sticky thread, links to other websites or forums that are related to the theme that everyone is welcomed to add to. There is also a sticky at the top of THIS forum that gives folks information on ALL available websites/forums; Oriana added a link to the RBG guild forums and others are also welcomed to add to it.

The reason, as I have stated before, we created the Stratics forum is because most people use these forums, including those from EA Mythic.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hang on.
I was asked for a 'guild forum'. That's what I set up. If that information is intended for the entire shard it belongs here or on the EM forum.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for that answer!

[*]Is there any in-game consequence if a person or guild accepts the offer?
Elaborate please. I don't understand what you may mean by "in-game consequence."

It would make good sense for the pirates to protect Buc's Den. :) You wouldn't really need to make a separate guard unit to do so unless you wanted. You could proceed as your pirate selves, contact the EMs and say it's your intention to become the RBG (the theme) guardians of the city.
Let's just say that the UP would decide to protect Buc's Den. What will happen? Will Buc's Den become object of monster invasions which we have to defeat? (I'm growing tired of monster invasions with endless deaths.) I'm still not certain what we should guard Buccaneer's Den from. The island is (like other towns in Britannia) totally deserted. I would not like to spend the little in-game time I have hanging around in a town all by myself counting the gravel on the ground, if you get the meaning.

I know that Buc's Den is originally the pirates' place, and in theory it would make perfect sense if guilds like the UP would inhabitate and "control" that island. However, there are exactly 3 towns in UO that are frequented by players: New Haven, Britain and Luna. Guarding any of the other towns would seem like a waste of time.

Let me approach this from a different direction (and a non-RP but more technical view):

If some organized players (maybe under the order of the Queen or anyone else) would decide to bring back law and order to Buc's Den, then it might make sense for the pirate guilds to prevent that. But ONLY IF the pirates would have some interest in Buccaneer's Den being a hideout for outlaws and a place the long arm of the crown's law cannot reach. However, since nobody uses Buccaneer's Den for any illegal business, why should we bother? Other than RP-wise?

I see a lot of activity, but I fail to see the logic and the in-game practical use behind it.

Scarst

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the idea of Buc's Den being ran by Pirates! :)
I think you missed Pikes point, No one actually goes to other towns.

It really is worthless to go there, In fact I should start cutting haven off of my list it's not worth the time, I miss Moonglow and Britain hotspots.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love trinsic :) Its mine. Nobody was ever there so I claimed it. I ran around naked as a jaybird and the NPC's and the unattended macroing miners that showed up didnt mind. Sorry PGOH but you can have it back after the 7th of next month when my main account is deactivated. I may keep it activated and fight you for control of Trinsic if the post on UHALL is true about bannings. :p All in jest PGOH :)

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to take away anything from the thread but is it just me, that Petra is just hot when she takes control of a situation :) Now after complimenting and a slight *flirting* with Petra can sombody fix my account on stratics? I dont have any emotes or smileys :( If you cant thats cool. Petra is still hot :heart:

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the idea of Buc's Den being ran by Pirates! :)
I think you missed Pikes point, No one actually goes to other towns.

It really is worthless to go there, In fact I should start cutting haven off of my list it's not worth the time, I miss Moonglow and Britain hotspots.
I would go if Pirates' owned BD! And come to Umbra, my guildies do patrol it often and write patrol reports for it and OTHER towns too on the Guards of Catskills website. I mean you guys could take some of their posts and spin off more RP off of it and then we respond and you respond back and we build GOOD RP like that... that's what we're really supposed to be doing here. We do not need EM's for that.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If some organized players (maybe under the order of the Queen or anyone else) would decide to bring back law and order to Buc's Den, then it might make sense for the pirate guilds to prevent that. But ONLY IF the pirates would have some interest in Buccaneer's Den being a hideout for outlaws and a place the long arm of the crown's law cannot reach. However, since nobody uses Buccaneer's Den for any illegal business, why should we bother? Other than RP-wise?
UO was (partially) bourne and loved from an aesthetic point of view and it was done very well way back then. Want to be a pirate? Just put on a tricorne hat say "arrr". Towns were painstakingly decorated to provide a theme. But those themes are lost to most but rpers now. Luna is popular because it is convienient. The general population has given up aesthetic for practical.

Towns need a real boost to mirror this. Not just from EM events or Mesanna buildings. But there needs to be a practical reason to live near towns and interact in them again.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Improved skill gain when you are in town?
For some skills yes this would work out well. But think on a larger scale. Take Trinsic for example and tie it to a pet peeve of mine: Virtue decay. All towns in classic UO represent a virtue. Trinsic represents honor. So residents around the city of Trinsic would benefit from a decay lock on their honor virtue. If you are not a Trinsic resident, you can still perform a trivial monthly quest to lock the virtue from decay as you could regarding any virtue tied to any other town you are not a resident of.

But there are many other benefits to be had in different combinations across all towns. Stat increase, damage increase, spell damage increase, regen buffs, crafting norm/exceptional rate increase, access to resident specific new areas, increased loot/luck, reduced (or null) vendor fees, mining/lj rare mats success rate, non rng resources in resident town zones. Lots of quests from the less popular town npc shops and craftsmen. There are so many areas to focus citizenship around. You could even go sa far as to tier citizenship... the more you are involved in a town... the more your status in that town increases.. the more powerful your buffs.

Just for kicks add in increased drop rate at special EM events involving a town, for those that have achieved some sort of notoriety there. That would allows off-sharders to participate in events and still give residents a good chance of getting a nice drop... without becoming an expert on events devoting time to strategize maximum yield.

Ok my ideas are a bit lofty for casual discussion.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to take away from UO art or originality but I also use to play DaoC. When I was in Cotswold if anything that reminded me about the excitement of UO was Cotswold. Just brought back that nostalgic feeling of how I first played UO and how the cities should have been designed.

Cant change what UO cities are now but would it be more interesting since UO has mass lands unused and cities unused. They could have series of quests in each city or dontations like lumber, ore and rock that would contribute to new and improved buildings that could enlarge the city. This is something that takes alot of time maybe like the zoo points but they dont decay. Each RP guard of each city could do their own work to contribute to their own city with help from others outside of the guard.

Pirates and Bandits could have Bucs Den as the major hide out city and can be fortfied the same as the other cities could. I would like to see a major change to Bucs by adding more docks and a harbor since that would be considered the Pirate's home. Could add some fun to the sea booster since ships can be used in battles and players could defend Bucs while other players are trying to besiege bucs to get rid of the piracy on the seas.

D

DPudding

Someone wake me when they add something that'll make the game fun....k?

D

DPudding

Like what?

This thing they're doing right here....this town thing....look at it closely....now imagine the exact opposite. Or....how about a nice virus for our computers? That would be much more fun than this!

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a returning player, I am embarassed to be associated with something this petty. The support from the EM program as well intended as it might have been has only made it worse.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the discussion is valid...but the bickering is petty.

V

Victoria Navarre

OK a few questions for Messana if she visits this thread.

1) When can we meet with you to go over possible changes to a chosen building in the city we have decided to defend? Do we contact you through the EM boards here in stratics? Or maybe via email?

2) Would there be any limitations to how a building be changed or possible deco that could be added? I don't want to be greedy with this but if she is willing,there is a alot of things I would like to see changed with the building I have picked.

P.S. Thanks Messana for even allowing us to have an impact on the shard in this way.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ZOMG!!! Not to take away from the thread yet again but TY Petra for fixing my account :lol: Now I can go hog wild with all the smiley stuff now :gun:

:heart: Petra

I hope though this addition is something that can be added onto later on with new story arcs and has some functions with it

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean you guys could take some of their posts and spin off more RP off of it and then we respond and you respond back and we build GOOD RP like that... that's what we're really supposed to be doing here. We do not need EM's for that.
We're too few people to do that.

C

CatLord

And now we take this to a whole new level... we have villains again!

Where are the Undead?

C

CatLord

Who do I have to make mad to make it happen?
I'm good at that you know...

Hum, maybe you should raid the towns and take the male children... then you would have a steady supply of pirates.

dont look

you looked!
(for the record, only two characters did the black rock pillar on both facets)

K

KodozPGoH

Was the blackrock pillar the thing in Terathan Keep? If so, I believe I was indeed at both, though I spent much of the time at the Feluccan one as a ghost....

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then the baby would be contracted to be a pirate until his 21st birthday?

Which didn't help that he was born on leap-day.

Signed,
Captain Grace,

C

CatLord

The office is done, take a look behind the castle!

Also the new town considerations will be verified or declined, ratified, after this next event is finished. (look for it to be this weekend)
amazing...