• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Melee skill for....

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
A sampire... swords? fencing? mace? are any of them better than the other? Finally going to make one.. I know some that don't even have parry and some with 60 parry skill... should it be 120? Thanks for any help :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I prefer swords for the double axe (ww and double hit) or bladed staff for AI depending on what I am doing. But imagine there will be a lot of personal preferences on that. Tried fencing sampire but did not like it due to the special combinations on weps but do carry a UBW leafblade when I want/need feint to kick in. Never tried a macer though, seen a few of them running around though. I also prefer 120 parry over 60

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dps wise Swordsmanship wins for pretty much every fight. Onslaught is just overpowered, widest selection of weapons, can use lumberjacking. Can make two handed weapons for every special and save yourself on the cost of whetstones you would need for fencing/mace fighting.

Combination of Whirlwind and Double strike on Double axes. Can make a Competent spawner with fewer weapons.

BearCorpse

Adventurer
Sword is the best. There are many two handed weapons with strong special moves. Onslaught is effective against most situation. Axes with Lumberjacking is more destructive.

Mace is next position. It drains 10 point of stamina with every hitting, makes target swing V slow with Stagger(But this strategy is no effective against V high stamina). Less selection of weapons, they're weaker than swords.

Fencing is the worst. There are some toothpick to use. Pierce can drain stamina quickly, It's good to play with macer.

I prefer 60 parry, "80 bushido and 100 lumberjack" or "80 bushido and 100 spell resistance".

Last edited:

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
so with 60 parry you obviously boost with jewelry right? or am I misunderstanding what 60 parry is for?

BearCorpse

Adventurer
Sum of Bushido & any combat skill to 180 for reducing special move's mana cost. Then Bushido 120 for earning perfection bonus quick and confidence healing high etc. If you had Bushido 120 and wielded 2 handed weapon, you can have 5.8% chance to parrying every 20 parrying skill. In this case, there is no GM bonus for parrying. There is already 5% chance to parrying bonus for GM Bushido.
If you fought against creature have slaying vulnerably, you don't need Bushido or Chivalry. You can choose other skill instead of them.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Thanks that explains a lot.. I forgot about the mana cost reduction since I haven't played the warrior class in a long time... way before that reduction even existed

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Swords for Onslaught, using Double Axe / Bladed Staff. Or if for some reason you need 1 handed Whirlwind Swords is the only choice with the Radiant Scimitar.

Mace for Maul / Hammer Pick. Or Black Staff's for 2 handed Whirlwind.

Fencing for Leafblade Feint / AI.

Swords gives the most damage because of Onslaught. Mace is an alternate choice to Swords where the main difference is the one or two handed weapons are pretty much opposites, so if you're a regular pot user and don't want to unequip or use the Balanced it's a good choice or if you're building for specific encounters, Mace is also better than Swords on some very specific builds such as Mystic hybrids or builds/encounters with swing penalties. Fencing is easier to Stam than the other two, but I consider it the 'my first dexxer' option it's already pretty hard to die on most dexxers Feint makes it pretty much impossible to die but at the cost of damage. There may also be something to look into with a Necro/Fencer build combining Strangle (damage increases with targets fatigue) with Pierce (reduces targets Stam), you could possibly combine that with Hit Fatigue / Hit Mana Drain and theoretically turn opponents into sitting ducks.

Tectop

Journeyman
I got a 120 fencer and currently working bushido,it's sad to think I have to start all over changing to swords to be competitive in the damage department.I made this Fencer way back in early years of 2000.Seems I got some decisions to make with him.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the Greatest Sampires have Wrestling for the weapon skill. :rolleyes::p:D

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have run with swords, mace and fencing and always seem to come back to swords in the end up. I like mace too but I think overall the wep options are superior for swords all round. No dachi about it..sorry couldn't resist.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I've tried all three melee skills and always end up back with Swords.

The two-handed swords weapons have a better range of different specials you can use, whether is Bladed Staff, Double Axe, or Daisho. I'm sure some folks use others.... but you should be able to use one of those three weapons to fight almost anything in game.

There are a few maces that are okay... but I can't seem to find something to stick with long term. The Stagger mastery from Macing is good, but Onslaught from Swords probably works better. If this is a Sampire, you should also consider Bushido mastery for the +15 mana bonus (level 3 mastery) and the more effective Confidence spell.