• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] Maximizing imbuing slots (All 70s resist question)

K

Kravick

I just got my imbuing to 120 yesterday. So today I spent most of the day trying to make a mage suit with all 70s resist. Typical stuff, 100 LRC, 40 LMC, MR 1 and +7 mana on each piece with the final imbue slot being a resist. I understand that the base resist on a piece of armor determines how high you can imbue that resist. Human/Elf leather armor base fire resist is 4 (ignoring material bonuses) + 15 from imbuing = max 19. So I would want one of the resist to be as low as possible so I can imbue that particular resist on that piece.

This is as far as I can get though. I don't have any clue how to match pieces together properly so I always end up with final resists that equal out to be 74/72/54/50/83, and I don't have a clue how to raise the other two resists without screwing up the whole suit.

I would absolutely love some advice for piecing together individual parts that evens this out a little better. How do you go about choosing which piece makes the final cut so they blend together properly?

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use a spreadsheet. Create one in excel if you have it. Make col A the name of your slot. Make col B the phys resist. Make col C the fire. Col D is cold. Col E is poison. Col F is energy.
To make it easy to read enter B1 Physical C1 Fire D1 Cold E1 Poison F1 Energy
In B8 enter =70-SUM(B2:B7)
In C8 enter =70-SUM(C2:C7)
in D8 enter =70-SUM(D2: D7)
in E8 enter =70-SUM(E2:E7)
in F8 enter =70-SUM(F2:F7)

Then, after you've crafted a bunch of pieces enter the resists into the appropriate row,col. The values in row 8 will automatically update to show you how many more resists are needed to reach your goal.

K

Kravick

I use a spreadsheet. Create one in excel if you have it. Make col A the name of your slot. Make col B the phys resist. Make col C the fire. Col D is cold. Col E is poison. Col F is energy.
To make it easy to read enter B1 Physical C1 Fire D1 Cold E1 Poison F1 Energy
In B8 enter =70-SUM(B2:B7)
In C8 enter =70-SUM(C2:C7)
in D8 enter =70-SUM(D2: D7)
in E8 enter =70-SUM(E2:E7)
in F8 enter =70-SUM(F2:F7)

Then, after you've crafted a bunch of pieces enter the resists into the appropriate row,col. The values in row 8 will automatically update to show you how many more resists are needed to reach your goal.
I don't have excel. :(

Is it even possible to have an all 70s suit using only 1 imbue slot for a resist per piece? I've spent all day trying to do this and no matter what I do I always have at least 2 resists not even close to being 70.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
starting with base leather (2/4/3/3/3)
That's totaling 12/24/18/18/18

20 random resists per piece from exceptional with arms lore. (120 total)
If you enhance with barbed, that will add another 72 (2/1/2/3/4, or totaling 12/6/12/18/24)

so, ignoring the exceptional and imbued amounts, you're looking at
24/30/30/36/42 as the numbers that are set in stone, that you have to work around.

So 2 15-point imbues in physical, 1 each in the other 4.

54/45/45/51/57

16/25/25/19/13 =98 points, so it should be theoretically possible - in fact, you could do it if the resists were 2-3 off on each piece.

What you need (before enhancing & imbuing)

An exceptional regular leather suit with TOTAL resists as follows (pieces can be in ANY order by type, just lined up by their resists for best observation)
4 items with 24+ physical resist total, 2 with minimal physical (for each point over 2 on the items being imbued over, add 1 to the 24)
5 items with 49+ fire resist total (including the two physical imbued pieces), add +1 fire on the requirements for each point the fire imbued piece loses on imbue.
5 items with 43+ cold resist total (including the 3 other imbued pieces), add +1 cold on the requirements for each point the cold imbued piece loses on imbue.
5 items with 37+ poison resist total (including the 4 other imbued pieces), add +1 poison on the requirements for each point the poison imbued piece loses on imbue.
5 items with 36+ energy resist total (including the other 5 pieces) for an elf going to 75 energy, add +1 fire on the requirements for each point the fire imbued piece loses on imbue.
A human only needs 31+ energy resist before the imbue to hit 70.

So, the total amount of "wiggle room", in terms of resists adding up too high, or points being replaced in the imbue, is 17 points for an elf, 22 for a human.

If you want to use a circlet (later enhanced with Valorite), you can tweak the numbers slightly (1 less physical needed, 3 less energy needed, but 1 more cold and 2 more poison - for a net gain of 1 more point of wiggle room). Circlets are the only medable (without needing mage armor) smith craftable armor.

K

Kravick

starting with base leather (2/4/3/3/3)
That's totaling 12/24/18/18/18

20 random resists per piece from exceptional with arms lore. (120 total)
If you enhance with barbed, that will add another 72 (2/1/2/3/4, or totaling 12/6/12/18/24)
Wait, I have to enhance? I thought you just made the armor out of the material you wanted to use. How is enhancing suppose to work? Every time I've tried messing around with enhancing all it does is break the item. What is it supposed to do anyway and how is it different from making the item out of the material itself?

so, ignoring the exceptional and imbued amounts, you're looking at
24/30/30/36/42 as the numbers that are set in stone, that you have to work around.

So 2 15-point imbues in physical, 1 each in the other 4.

54/45/45/51/57

16/25/25/19/13 =98 points, so it should be theoretically possible - in fact, you could do it if the resists were 2-3 off on each piece.
Ok, I think I get this part. So at 54/45/45/51/57 I'm using the exceptional bonus to kick it up to 70, correct?

What you need (before enhancing & imbuing)

An exceptional regular leather suit with TOTAL resists as follows (pieces can be in ANY order by type, just lined up by their resists for best observation)
4 items with 24+ physical resist total, 2 with minimal physical (for each point over 2 on the items being imbued over, add 1 to the 24)
5 items with 49+ fire resist total (including the two physical imbued pieces), add +1 fire on the requirements for each point the fire imbued piece loses on imbue.
5 items with 43+ cold resist total (including the 3 other imbued pieces), add +1 cold on the requirements for each point the cold imbued piece loses on imbue.
5 items with 37+ poison resist total (including the 4 other imbued pieces), add +1 poison on the requirements for each point the poison imbued piece loses on imbue.
5 items with 36+ energy resist total (including the other 5 pieces) for an elf going to 75 energy, add +1 fire on the requirements for each point the fire imbued piece loses on imbue.
A human only needs 31+ energy resist before the imbue to hit 70.

So, the total amount of "wiggle room", in terms of resists adding up too high, or points being replaced in the imbue, is 17 points for an elf, 22 for a human.

If you want to use a circlet (later enhanced with Valorite), you can tweak the numbers slightly (1 less physical needed, 3 less energy needed, but 1 more cold and 2 more poison - for a net gain of 1 more point of wiggle room). Circlets are the only medable (without needing mage armor) smith craftable armor.
Ok now you've completely lost me. I have no idea what you mean by "2 with minimal physical (for each point over 2 on the items being imbued over, add 1 to the 24)" and similar sentences. Also, none of the numbers you've used here would add up to 70 once imbued. 24 + 2 physical imbues don't even come close to 70. The poison and energy resist have the same problem. The cold and fire resist are close but still wouldn't add up to 70.

I should mention that I am fairly simple minded when it comes to things regarding numbers. I need these kinds of things spelled out to me as if I were a child before I can even begin to understand whats going on. Spread sheets just give me a migraine (not an exaggeration) if I try to look at them and I refuse to deal with them because of it. Is there a simpler way to explain this or perhaps a guide some place with step by step instructions? I really hope I'm not wasting any ones time here. I really do appreciate any help, but I'm still having a really hard time grasping whats happening. I'm obviously missing something and I don't know what it is yet.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it even possible to have an all 70s suit using only 1 imbue slot for a resist per piece?
When I'm making a suit I try to get 2 base resists at 70, then I stick it into Excel to workout what needs to be imbued on the other parts. I've managed to make a suit with +14 physical resist (to counter for protection spell) with only 8 resist imbues. This left me room for LMC and LRC, Mana increase and HPI or whatever goodies you want.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have ICQ? I'd be happy to help you out if your getting lost. It can be a nightmare, I'm crap at maths myself and found it very tough to get my head around at first. Once I had excel it became much easier. Also the knuckleheads imbue calc is fantastic to make sure all the items will work before imbuing.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a screenshot from my excel sheet. The resist imbues are highlighted in yellow to give you an idea.

I tend to try and imbue resists last as they are normally the cheapest thing to do. Imbue the items with the highest intensity first. I also managed to squeeze a bit more poison on this suit.

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would absolutely love some advice for piecing together individual parts that evens this out a little better. How do you go about choosing which piece makes the final cut so they blend together properly?
You need to plan the suit from the start. If you already have made different pieces then it can be a pain to get it all together. This is where the excel sheet comes in. Getting the most out of imbuing you really need to overcome your resistances to numbers :) make a system that works for you, but where you still can plan ahead. That is especially true for a suit where you only leave one slot to resist on each piece.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait, I have to enhance? I thought you just made the armor out of the material you wanted to use. How is enhancing suppose to work? Every time I've tried messing around with enhancing all it does is break the item. What is it supposed to do anyway and how is it different from making the item out of the material itself?...
When we say "base resist" for a piece we're saying the minimum possible resist for that armor item. If you use regular leather your item will have minimum resists of 2/4/3/3/3. The maximum value you can imbue a resist up to is base material minimum + 15. Let's consider fire resist. The maximum resist from imbuing is 19 (4 + 15). If you made the armor out of barbed leather, the minimum resist you could achieve on that piece would be 5. However, when you imbue, it would still hold you to the rule of base material (4) plus 15. This means you would do 100% intensity fire imbue and end up with a piece that has 19 fire resist. Basically, you would waste the 1 fire resist gained from material bonus.

If, however, you craft a normal leather piece with 4 fire resist and then imbue to 19, you could then enhance it and gain +1 fire resist to end up with 20. Enhance chances are very low. This is why we advocate buying a forged metal tool. Using a charge from the tool prior to the enhance guarantees success.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am pretty sure you can download Microsoft works for free. It has basic spreadsheet functionality that should be enough for you to plan out your suit.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One thing about imbuing is that it's best to start with a blank slate (regular material, exceptional items). in fact, reforging (which is related to imbuing) requires such.

Let's use barbed leather for an example (gives 2/1/2/3/4 resists)

Base leather item is 2/4/3/3/3
Barbed leather item is 4/5/5/6/7

In both cases, the maximum each resist can be imbued to is 17/19/18/18/18

so, you LOSE the leather-given bonus in each resist you imbue over, PLUS you lose space you could have used for other properties.

IF you imbue +4 energy on a barbed leather piece, you end up with the same resist as before PLUS about 27% of the potential 500% intensity used.

Let's use some generic exceptional pieces as an example. Assume that the 6 pieces together count as 1 suit.

#1: 3/9/8/8/7
#2: 3/9/8/8/7
#3: 6/5/8/8/7
#4: 6/9/5/8/7
#5: 6/9/8/5/7
#6: 6/9/8/7/5

Total: 30/45/45/45/45

Ok, the likelihood of you getting these pieces is out there, but not unheard of - but any number not a 3 or 5 can be lower or higher, as long as they average out with the other pieces, or add up even higher.

When you imbue the pieces as mentioned above, they become

#1: 17/8/8/8/7
#2: 17/8/8/8/7
#3: 6/19/8/8/7
#4: 6/8/18/8/7
#5: 6/8/8/18/7
#6: 6/8/8/7/18

Imbued resist Total: 58/65/58/58/58
Each item now has 100% intensity used out of 500% - choose your other properties carefully (and make your jewelry first so you can figure out how to fit things around it). After you finish the imbuing of all properties, you move on to enhancing.
Enhanced would be 70/70/70/75/77

Again, if you're going to make this kind of suit, you'll want to invest in the POF to get all the parts to 255 prior to imbuing, then get one of the 10-use Forged Tools to get 100% success on the enhances.

Another option would be to make a hat or circlet Reforging with a top end runic with the properties for resists and for magery-type stuff. You could end up with resists in the same range as a Kasa of Raj-in, but with with better mage related properties (and you don't have to enhance it, either). It would then be easier to do the other 5 parts of the suit's resists and properties around that item. Being a hat, though, you'd want to make sure you don't use the reforging properties that make it brittle or unrepairable.