• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lumberjacking] Max Tree Whacks

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, anyone know the maximum amount of times a tree can be hit for wood? I know that some trees can be hit more or less than others can, so what's the max? I want to make a runebook full of max hit trees so if any of them turn into Heartwood/Bloodwood/Frostwood, i'll get the max amount from them.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So far in Ter Mur, the max hits i've been able to get on a tree is 20, so 200 wood.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I think it was 16 or maybe that is mining could be 20 can be deceiving though if it respawns just as you finish.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Yeah, there are trees that give many 100s of wood, but in the 100s of times I visited those trees, for whatever reason, they were never one of the truly rare woods.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One thing sure, you can always measure them in 40's in all areas other than Fel. They give multiples of 40 logs, 80 logs, 120 logs etc on up to ?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There is no stated max per tree, unless something changed in my year hiatus.

There has always appeared to be more to the resource code than the last decade's worth of Devs thought.

Essentially, there are 2 variables range for each resource square for mining, and separate ones (of similar type) for lumberjacking.

These variables are base chance for colored material, and number of digs/chops.

The number of chops (wood) and number of digs (mining) variable ranges differ for EVERY resource square, but are apparently permanent and were set at some point in the past (shard creation, most likely), though might have been modified with the launch of Mondain's Legacy. There's stories in the old days of "magic trees" seem to have indicated either trees whose # of chops took longer to reach than the reset time for the resource square, or were bugged - either of which might have been fixed as part of the coding for colored wood in ML.

The base chance for colored material is supposed to be fixed, at least by statements given by devs, but anyone who has ever mined or chopped knows better. Each square is different (and has different numbers for wood and mining). Elves have a bonus, but instead of it being a 40% chance for non elves, +20% for elves, it's whatever the resource square chance is (I've seen spots that have been reliably as bad as <10% to as good as >80%, and have remained so for a decade) for non-elves, with the base chance apparently multiplied by 120% for elves (so a 10% spot would be 12% for an elf, and an 80% spot being 96%). And, the ratio stays the same for all the ores wood, as the sites randomly shift between types; even when a mining spot is iron only, and a tool used to allow colored ore, the normal colored ore chance for that spot will express itself once the elevation occurs.

When I was resource gathering regularly, a couple years ago, some places would do as little as 6 chops/digs, and some I could get 30 from - and that's without even going to Fel, just more out of the way parts of Trammel, Malas and Ilshenar with a human. The only rule of thumb was that the closer you were to civilization in Trammel, the lower the resource output for trees, and that caves/mines/dungeons produced better ore numbers - and even then, there was occasionally an outlier (one crappy spot surrounded by great stuff, or vice-versa) if you were REALLY methodical in your searching.

This make any sense?

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aww ... the old mystery of the magic trees ... :D

It was said that it has something to doo with overlapping resource grids near serverlines. What simply means you will get on average more hits on trees for wood near them than somewhere else. And there are sometimes magical trees where 2 serverlines cross each other. From what I ve heard those locations are server independant. Thought i dont know many of those trees/places.

Aww ... the mystery of the non-spawning coloured wood ...

It is a result, of how ppl chop for coloured wood. Ppl run around searching for coloured spots. When they've found one, they stop and mark a rune or farm that spot until it turns into plain wood. As a result the number of coloured spots that can be found, does decrease.