• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mana Question.

mihali

Sage
I thought that this question pehaps pertain to this forum as pertains to multiple classes and not just mages.
Max mana regen from gear is 30 as far as I found in the wiki.

For a long time I have played sampire with mana leaching weapon and had no mana issues. Recently, using a mage/weaver/discord tamer.
120 taming/120 disco/120 weaving/120 lore/Med is 37 or so, and 40 LMC 30 MR with SDI 220 in tree form and buffs. Med suit, all gear. Run out of mana after a few minutes of casting. Then active meditate, or passive slow med.
Disco is such powerful item hate to drop it for meditation, that would boost mr.
Also Int is 190 and does not all count for MR? is it counting only up to about 150 for MR? That is suggested by the uoguide and knuckleheads.dk formulas.

I know necro forms leach mana, but then no tree form for the sdi.
How do you reclaim mana more rapidly for more effective casting in different classes?
And is it still true than max MR is 30 nowdays?
Are there any gear/books/items that would help with mana regaining faster?
What are some methods to use for this for different classes?
Thanks kindly in advance for any wisdom for this.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And is it still true than max MR is 30 nowdays?
The answer gets a little muddy. Technically no it's not. I think technically you can have as much as you can stack BUT there is some number where you get zero benefit of having 1 more point of MR. I think generally speaking 30 was about the point where the diminishing returns really started to impact regen.

Are there any gear/books/items that would help with mana regaining faster?
I'm not 100% sure of this but I believe 4MR is the max an item has. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter how you get to 25-30MR, just that you get there. There is no item in the game that is going to magically bypass the MR calculations for items (I believe active meditation does).

How do you reclaim mana more rapidly for more effective casting in different classes?

What are some methods to use for this for different classes?
You kind of already answered this. There are many different classes and strategies for regaining mana. I wouldn't get too far into the weeds on that because it's going to depend on the template. General rule of thumb is going to be warriors/archers/throwers want max mana leech on their weapons and hitting as hard as possible. For mages you rely more on MR but can use necro spells (evil omen + mana vamp or shadow wisp familiar) or use a mage weap bow with some mana leech or meditation or magery mastery ability (forget the name but it auto replenishes mana once every X timeframe). Like I said, this is kind of going down a rabbit hole. I'd stick to your template.

I'd be curious what you are casting that you are running out of mana with 190mana (int caps at 150). Reason I say this is because my tamer has no issues with mana and he doesn't have disco so I'm healing my pets more. That being said, I also let me pet do the work and only really heal as needed (using triton/cu limits heals needed). The only time I run out of mana is when I'm spamming WOD at the end but with the LMC I have enough mana for like 6 WOD spells. I only run consume damage when I need it and when I need to heal my pet I stop running it once the pet is full HP.

I'd need to know more about what your doing and what your setup to offer more specific advice but you don't really need top drop disco for med IMO. Additionally keep in mind that reaper form is only adding like 15-20 SDI (which compared to 200 isn't going to be make or break) so don't be afraid to use wraith form. If you are a human, JOAT will allow you to stay in wraith form (you will need jewels to get into form though) and even with 0 SS you are still leeching 8% which usually still enough to cover the mana used for the spell (500 damage from WOD gives 40mana as long as target has mana).

Another suggestion I'd have that I use on my secondary disco tamer (also doesn't have med) is to build your suit with + focus items and turn all your armor into non-medable. The goal is to be at 55 LMC. If you take your 37 med and put that into focus instead and then use some +focus items (+30-40 from jewels alone) you can get up to 80 focus easy. The 55 LMC plus 80 focus (which doesn't regen mana as quick as med) will more than make up for the switch to focus and the added benefit would be spells take even less mana.

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In wraith form I can keep those disco debuffs up vs most bosses, same with the mage mastery spell death ray with spirit speak. Wraith form even keeps your mana up without ss if your doing enough damage per trick(just need to get form for human or have 20 on jewels to hold it on elf/gargoyle). The only time I have seen having more than 30mr on the suit help is when my bard is holding both provo buffs with a full party and pets.

mihali

Sage
Thank you kindly for the info. I like the necro idea, I am using it with partial success on another mage character, 120 magery DR tamer that I use with a disco/conduction blast Triton, I use the necro bracers for the 20 necro points plus jewel to boost it up to cast wraith without too much trying. DR tamer works nicely when pet is taking target and debuffing it.
I might try using necro with the above WOD tamer also, and see how it works.
If I try to beat down the area mobs with Fire Field and the 2 weather AOE,s that's where mana is spent. This is if I use the mostly 1x1 pet (chiv/ai/fww). I think if I use a different pet for spawns, like Poison breath (has decent range) / FWW may be better, and perhaps spend less mana, leaving more mana for the end.
It is fun experimenting. Ty again.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you are doing something with area spawn (Champ spawn??) then you can also run around in wraith form casting thunderstorm. You are hitting a bunch of targets that way and depending how many you hit per spell you won't lose mana.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
MR hard caps at 30. I've tested a total of 93 MR (53 Gear+13 Lich Form+22 Resilience+2 Ankh Amulet Honesty Buff+3 Holy Mackeral Pie), and it regenerates Mana at the exact same rate as 30 MR.
You could try using a Balakai's Shaman Staff (+10 Meditation) as you regen for a little more. But yes, the 8% Mana Drain granted by Human JoAT Wraith Form (can use Wraith Form scrolls to get into/out of form easily) is your best bet, especially if you're casting Thunderstorm/Essence of Wind/WoD on foes.

After 150 INT/30 MR/120 Meditation/120 Focus, the only way to further increase your rate of Mana regain, is through use of Mana Leeching (either weps or Wraith Form, they function differently though) or Mana Vampire (against low Resist skill foes), Shadow Wisp Flare ability (only if you're negative Karma), Magery Mastery's "Ethereal Burst" ability (which has a lengthy 30 min cooldown), or consumables like Mana Draught (10 min cooldown) or Urali Trance Tonic (20 min cooldown).