• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Malware/Spyware

B

Beer_Cayse

We have an AV thread ... now how about one for spyware/malware removal? I have 3 products I use - all free (or embedded in an AV product):

AdAware free edition from Lavasoft - green button for AdAware Free
SpybotSD from Safer Networking

I have RoadRunner from TimeWarner and in my area I can use CA ezArmor AV product which includes Pest Control malware removal tool. As I mentioned elsewhere the drawback is that this product needs to be removed before updating ZoneAlarm. The 2 products just don't get along very well.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are two pieces I use first in any instance. First, I use ccleaner to delete temp files, and to delete any stale registry records. Then I run malwarebytes antimalware to clean. After that, if I suspect further infection, I run Panda's PAVARK anti-rootkit and then finally scan with AVG antivirus. This combination works 99% of the time. The other 1%, I reload the PC.

Bardie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
also malwarebytes anti-malware is a really good program i use in conjunction with CCleaner and Spybot...also HighjackThis is a pretty good proggy to use if you know what your doing.

**edit - guess i should read above mine first before i post haha**

N

Numtinae

I've found malwarebytes to be the best out there at the moment. Boot into safe mode (hold down F8 while windows boots) then run it. Reboot into safe mode and run it again. Do the complete not the quick.

I haven't found anything it didn't get.