• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

making gold

R

ronfar

Id like some advise on earning gold and good items to sell.

Im a mage based character (120 mager and eval...wrestling resisting and med are in the 100's)

im working on my necor and SW atm but for now, what would be a good way to earn gold? im currently hunting miasma as a main source of income and doing trammel champs for fun. anyone have any advice on anything better?

A

Arch Magus

Usually during all times of the day there are finished Champ spawns in Felucca and T2A that have gold lying all over the altar.
This also happens a lot in Despise, people finish the spawns and don't pick up the gold.

This is how I make a lot of the money on my thief, just stealth in and out with a packful of gold, rinse and repeat. There's usually about 100k at every champion.

As far as hunting for gold, Miasma is a good place. I'm more of a Felucca bird myself, hehe.:)

S

Scrumpy Jack

Miasma is of course a really good place to make gold, but it's often camped. It also is a bit of a pain that you always have to leave the Labyrinth to go to the bank and (depending on your char) it takes a bit to kill each Miasma.

One of my favourite hunting spots are the Painted Caves. The trogs there only have somewhat more than 400gp on them, but they drop easily, respawn instantly and are not camped so often. It's just a few steps out of the cave to recall, so you can make a nice load of money, too.

Another one would be the White Wyrm in Ice Dungeon. Depending on your char, they drop fast, you can recall in and out and you can take the jewels for some additional cash. And the leather and scales are a nice extra :)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I'm looking for gold in a hurry on my mage, I typically go to the white wyrms.

My tactic: use a summon (demon, ogre lord (I'm a spellweaver) or earth elemental) to get the heat off of me. Carry a dragon slayer or reptile slayer spellbook (cheap to get). 2 flame strikes and a fireball later, I collect 1000-1500 gold, a few gems and some hides (very valuable, those) and scales. It gets my mage gold faster than anything else I've tried. Ice fiends and arctic ogre lords drop just as quickly, but they don't spawn fast enough for my tastes.

My option 2: In Doom, there's a trapped room with 2 Dark Guardians. With SDI (I have 40%) and an undead slayer spellbook, they die to a single flame strike 4 times in 5. Use an arctic ogre lord to double the spawn and keep them off of you. You collect bones and gold (and treasure maps if you desire) faster than you can loot them. The room outside of their room is usually safe to park a pack horse or two (be sure they're bonded!). Make sure protection is on, or the poison will get you killed.

If you're a good stealther, there are many options for gold collecting. Find anyone doing a Fel champ or Peerless key collecting. In places like Bedlam, the Citadel or the Twisted Weald, many hunters leave the gold on the corpse (or in my case stacks it neatly on the side in the Weald) because toting it out is too much trouble... Even the two seconds it takes to run to the bank from Bedlam is too much effort for some. Just wait for corpses to go public and collect gold that way.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Miasmas have good drops but IMHO, if you actually calculated how much you make per second, they aren't as great as you imagine because of how long it takes to kill them. The fact that a single disconnect or lag spike could get you killed very quickly and easily and cost you a lot of insurance money makes it even chancier.

If you really want to make gold, you don't go for the biggest, toughest, hardest things that drop the most gold. Go for the things that can be killed the quickest, and most consistently, which you can sustain fighting over a long period. You might even actually make more money killing things like earth and air and water ele's in the first few levels of Shame because of your speed and ability to keep going quickly, rather than killing 1 miasma taking 1 minute and 30 seconds or however long it takes ya. (Plus the added time running or invis'ing when it gets mad at you.)

That's just as far as monster hunting goes. While you can make a lot of money monster hunting, I do not consider it necessarily the best way, at least, not unconditionally so. Especially as a mage... you need mana, you need range, you need downtime/meditation time. I think you might be amazed (I just GM'med inscription recently) how much money you can make doing something simple like like spending the same amount of time scribing as hunting good spawn. In a half hour of making something non-mana intensive like 4th circle scrolls and selling them back just to the NPC's.... I make many,many thousands. At no risk of death and no running around or invis'ing or competing with other players for monster respawns. ;)

The best strategy, is probably to incorporate a little of everything. When I am in town or in my house, I am almost ALWAYS scribing, at the very least I prevent my mana bar from ever getting full. I now consider it a waste of time when I see so many other players just sitting around town doing.... nothing. With five to ten minutes of idle time in town I can earn thousands of gold just scribbling on some paper.

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Usually during all times of the day there are finished Champ spawns in Felucca and T2A that have gold lying all over the altar.
This also happens a lot in Despise, people finish the spawns and don't pick up the gold.

This is how I make a lot of the money on my thief, just stealth in and out with a packful of gold, rinse and repeat. There's usually about 100k at every champion.
Are there particular Champ spawns that are most popular to hit? The ones in the Lone Lands Felucca I assume are the most popular? And are the spawns all random, or on particular timers? I'm very interested in doing this with my thief character.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Id like some advise on earning gold and good items to sell.

Im a mage based character (120 mager and eval...wrestling resisting and med are in the 100's)

im working on my necor and SW atm but for now, what would be a good way to earn gold? im currently hunting miasma as a main source of income and doing trammel champs for fun. anyone have any advice on anything better?
I go fight the tusken wolves in Tokuno they carry 1000 gold 25 leather up to 15 bones and lots of other items rings,Armour,etc

T

T_Amon_from_work

Good points ... also, just selling hides (especially spined, horned, barbed) in bulk to tailors can net cash in chunks. It's how I setup my first house while simply loafing in a very casual way to GM+.

I like Painted Caves even now because of the Trog frequency and nearness of safety if needed. The rapid respawn allows me the make some good hauls.

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good points ... also, just selling hides (especially spined, horned, barbed) in bulk to tailors can net cash in chunks. It's how I setup my first house while simply loafing in a very casual way to GM+..
I farmed a bunch of spined hides from the lizardmen in Despise (about 1500 worth). Do you mean to sell them to NPC tailors? Or Player Tailors? I've seen 500 Spined selling for 75k in Luna... so I figured I could sell them for 50k in Luna (at the bank) if I tried :)

T

T_Amon_from_work

player tailors but check pricing outside of Luna before you set prices. When I was selling in '04-'05 timeframe, I was doing 25gp each in lots of 1K or more. Now I know I can prolly go double that and be well under Luna prices - and very near non-Luna ones.

A

Arch Magus

Are there particular Champ spawns that are most popular to hit? The ones in the Lone Lands Felucca I assume are the most popular? And are the spawns all random, or on particular timers? I'm very interested in doing this with my thief character.
On chesapeake, the spawn that seems to be always going is Despise.

I always check t2a though, if you seem remnants of old spawn there's usually a pile of gold available. Even if something like lizardmen is popped, there may have been a rat before it that no one finished cleaning up. It's just not worth it to lots of spawners.

G

GFY

For making gold with my mage my favorite pace it go is the bottom of the Ice Dungeon. The Ice fiends that spawn there can be killed with a Demon Slayer spell book and 1 explosion, flame strike combination. The 2 Ice Fiends there spawn quickly and drop 600 + gp each. I can even do well there with a low resist 100 LRC suit, because they are that easy to kill.

If you have trouble with both fiends, one can be lured into the secret room and left there so only one fiend will spawn.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Ilshenar Oaks spawn has been getting done 12-16 hours a day even on Lake Austin, since the replicas came out, so it should be good for gold from the boss, plus the Centaurs and Serpentine Dragons (the latter are the only good karma things one has to kill to advance the spawn, other than the bosses - the ethereal warriors are also good karma, but suicidal to attack, plus they actually act as wandering healers if you die, so most people ignore them and kill the dragons). The Centaurs will also load you up on arrows (4000 arrows can be better than 20k gold for the same weight, in a lot of cases).

T

Turdnugget

As far as i'm aware, no gold drops outside the champion bosses body in Trammel ruleset. Only in Fel.

Doing Tram ruleset spawns could be a decent way to make money. Tokuno/Ilshenar Oaks seem to be the most popular. You have a chance at getting SoT's you can sell and also a chance at a replica/decor item.

Even if you can find an easy champ spawn in Fel, you can try to farm Scrolls of Transcendence. Some sell for millions... some for a few hundred thousand.

It'd be best to use a necro to farm those though.

All of the suggestions here are good. Get a vendor when you can. Providing the daily needs can pay well, potions/recalls/bandages etc...depends if you've got the right characters to do it.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I do Trammel ruleset champs all the time, and have for 6 years - they've always dropped about 150k gold outside the body (what they don't drop are powerscrolls, and the skull). How long has it been since you did one (I've done about 30 in the last week)?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Move to Catskills and hunt harpies for me. You keep me in feathers, and I'll keep you in gold.

There is a mountain pass in ilsh somewhere (I forget the exact location at the moment, but I have it at home in one of my old notebooks) that spawns 2 gargoyles and nothing else. You can go in there and take them down pretty quickly, collect the gold and gems for a quick (fairly decent) profit.

T

Turdnugget

Just did one last night Basara. I just forgot that they do =)

I usually don't loot the gold on the ground...that's why I've never paid attention to it I guess. But that is a good way to collect gold. You can easily pick up 15k in gold when the champ dies.

Get a necro with horde minion and you can loot more faster =)

G

GFY

Maybe they could make bags of sending work the way they used to at a champ spawn. I think it's a crime to leave all that gold laying on the ground! :sad4:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you're willing to take the time to get your own powder and bags, even sending 15k per bag (at full charges) is still worth it for the non-necro. After all, it does take longer for a champ to reset, than it does to actually do either of the Solen quests 2-3 times.

All you really need are 2 runes (one to solens, one to the infiltrators), 8 pitchers, and water trough at home (And remember to grab a seed off one of the champ spawn critters that carry them, or go kill a bogling, every time you have to refriend for a set of powder runs)

D

Dragonchilde

What about ways to make gold that don't involve farming monsters I can't kill? LOL.

Think poor character, with not-great equipment... and limited knowledge of anything beyond Trammel anti-virtue dungeons. No dragons, no huge spellbooks.

What's something that can be farmed easily for poor characters with crap equipment?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I don't know about other shards. Basic resources? Cloth, leather, feathers. etc all sell well.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
What about ways to make gold that don't involve farming monsters I can't kill? LOL.

Think poor character, with not-great equipment... and limited knowledge of anything beyond Trammel anti-virtue dungeons. No dragons, no huge spellbooks.

What's something that can be farmed easily for poor characters with crap equipment?
This is what my son did his account just turned a year old he has equipment as good as mine (well almost I think mines better) he has house and stuff that I don't even have !
here is what he did he went around picking up the stuff people either throw on ground or don't loot!
go to one of the invasions or champ spawns and loot bodies or pick up the stuff left behind most people anymore dont loot gold so at invasion you can get 1200k plus per body and that's just gold not counting anything else so pretty much as fast as you can pick it up!

T

T_Amon_from_work

Can you kill Lizardmen? Dungeon Despise - top level - and go nuts. Collect cut hides (gold too!), sell in bulk to tailors - using deeds. Sell at prices decently under Luna in 1K or more lots and you can get gold rather fast.

I believe Alligators are spined as are Dire Wolves.

T

Turdnugget

Even people w/poor suits do Champ spawns in Trammel. As a mage you could summon two earth elementals...EV the champ when it spawns, ebolt, fireball etc etc...

You don't have to have an uber suit to kill higher end mobs, even with a crappy 100% LRC suit you could kill Miasma using earth eles or EV's... same with Swoop, just takes a lot longer using a mage.

Collecting hides would be a good way to get some money. Honestly though, if your shard has guilds that do Trammy Champ spawns... go and help out, about 150k drops on the ground when the champ dies and it's a free-for-all. You could easily walk out with 10-15k plus a possible item.