• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Making a tamer... help with template

hazzattacker123

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi guys,

So i'm wanting to make a tamer and i'm sort of hell bent on making a tamer/archer. Just love the idea of combining melee damage while using a pet to tank. However, i'm struggling to work out what would be a efficient spec, I was kind of thinking;
Taming 100
lore 100
vet 100
archery 110
tactics 110
anat 81
healing 81

But then again, would also be nice to have enough chiv to cast the buffs (consecrate wep and divine fury) and 50 bush for lightning would also be great.

I'm new back, so I'm not sure what is a viable spec anymore.. what i'm going to be using it mainly for (at first atleast) is farming miasma.

Some help would be great - as i said though, pretty hell bent on the idea of having archery and taming in there somewhere - but happy to re-arrange other skill points and how much i'm putting in each.

(someone suggested a ninja type tamer but not sure how that would work? esp with archery...)

Thanks!

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I always opt for 120 weapon skill (archery, swords, whatever). Apart from that:
If you have a Greater Dragon you will be walking. Why not convert to a gargoyle thrower and fly around in more safety?

hazzattacker123

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
So you don't think i need chiv or bushido? you think its fine to roll with healer anat?
Thats a good point actually - does flying not take up a follower slot?

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Miasma? Miasma is not much of a challenge if you ask me. A Greater Dragon should be enough. A trained GD would be helpful to live through the mortal wound or bleed or whatever it is.

Flying? That's one big advantage for our batmen and batwomen: No pet slots for flying!

Bushido, Chivalry, Healing and Anatomy: I have no opinion, sorry. You might try waiting for more input from more knowledgeable people OR you just try it out on your own. Maybe even on Test Center.

Just one more thing: Miasma gets old very fast... :oops:
Bring some Greater Confusion Blast Potions.

Last edited:

hazzattacker123

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Yeah thats a good point, test center is a good idea. I'll give it a go. Hopefully i'll get input also... Yeah i'm sure it does, i just want to start there, as i want the T maps for my treasure hunter. Once training etcetc i hope to do other stuff too :) any suggestions would be good also :)

Thanks mate!

hazzattacker123

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
That was one of the factors that concerned me, was the MS + poisoning, so i thought about trying to fit SW in somewhere, but not sure thats possible due to trying to weigh up dex and a mana pool and would probably require me to drop archer, which im not up for.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
That was one of the factors that concerned me, was the MS + poisoning, so i thought about trying to fit SW in somewhere, but not sure thats possible due to trying to weigh up dex and a mana pool and would probably require me to drop archer, which im not up for.
I understand. I am not sure if it's needed, but I use the peacemaking bard mastery song that helps with poison and everything. Actually I have both songs active. My Sampire is still faster there...

hazzattacker123

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
What do you mean? I have an old bard with like 120 music 110 peace - thought you just used music to peace mobs? but assumed trying to peace miasma would be ridiculous.

hazzattacker123

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Just had another idea, if someone would be so kind to critique it?
I could make a suit that would give me around 60ish mana and use a spell chan bow;
Taming 100
Lore 100
Archery 110
Tact 110
Magery 75
Vet 80
SW 110

(Should also have enough points with the correct jewlery to rep some med)

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You are right - I usually don't try Peacemaking on Miasma. I usually use Discordance on Miasma, though, to keep damage to my GD as low as possible. Area Peacemaking makes it less annoying to walk around there, though.

Read more about bard masteries here:
http://www.uoguide.com/Bard_Masteries
The song I meant is called "Resilience" (but I still run both with lots of MR on armour & weapon and Meditation).

UOGuide.com said:
Party Hit Point Regeneration, Stamina Regeneration and Mana Regeneration increase by up to 22 (based on additional bard skills), reduced duration on Curses, Bleed and Mortal Wound. Increased resistance to Poison.
Having 3 bard skills at 120 while fighting Miasma, Resilience and Perseverance are good enough so I never have to heal the GD iirc.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Just had another idea, if someone would be so kind to critique it?
I could make a suit that would give me around 60ish mana and use a spell chan bow;
Taming 100
Lore 100
Archery 110
Tact 110
Magery 75
Vet 80
SW 110
You want to sling a bow with spell channeling? Why is that so? You have no meditation and not even Focus but want to use Spellweaving? Hm. That will be tough. Sorry, I am lost here :banana:. These are some aspects of UO which probably might have their usefulness which sadly eludes me. In my opinion tamers can very well be combined with other traits - be it bardic skills, the ones of a Mage or even the works of an Archer. But this skill set seems to be too much of a burden for one single character, if you ask me. But as long as you have fun and maybe even success, everything is fine.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
110 Tame
110 Lore
100 Vet
110 Archery
110 Tactics
90 Chiv
rest in med or focus

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure this template will be "uber", but I think you could make it work against the Miasmas of the world. I threw some numbers around, and here is what I came up with:

Tamer/Archer
120 Archery (I chose this over the 110 archery/110 tactics, because extra damage is all good, but it don't mean squat if you don't hit the target first)
110 Animal Taming, Animal Lore (99% control chance over GD)
100 Tactics, Anatomy, vet (damage, damage, and pet healing/rezzing)
80 chivalry (EoO, CW, divine fury, cure, healing, player rezzing, and sacred journey)

Like I said, not uber, but serviceable. You might also try dropping the 100 anatomy for med, or focus. Or maybe dropping the Chiv for healing (need to use recall scrolls, as you will be lacking magery/chivalry).

The biggest problem I see, about taking this template against the big baddies, is when MOBs like to re-target. This character isn't built for being a main target, so if something like an interred grizzle turns on you (after an arrow hit), you'll be running, with the monster chasing you and your GD chasing it.

Last edited:

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Chivalry's Remove Curse spell will remove the Mortal Strike effect from your pet. Used concurrently with Vet, you will never have a problem healing your pet versus Miasma (at least until Rend decides to pay you a visit, hehe).

Stayin Alive,

BG

krilov

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
totally agree with what padre dante said.
Basicly, 120 wep skill is a must or at least 115. (real or through items bonus)
According to the type of pet u're going to roll with, choose the right taming/lore. that's 110/110 for a GD.
Vet imo is a must for all tamers; since it's an hybrid template u can try a basic 80 vet. It should work decenlty enough.
Tattics is an other must i guess; i would go after composite bows for using Ai. 90-120 tattics...it depends where and if u want to use points somewherelse.
Anotomy sounds obvious but i consider it sacrificable as skill..since well...your pet should cover that.
Without anat, means u do not relay on bandages as your main healing skills; What's left? u got pots, (but i've benn always lazy using them especially for pvm) then, chiva but it means u need to reach a minimum fc/frc - not that hard -
I would add around...30 points into sw... u get few gg skills to use for support your pet or yourself.
U should consume lots of mana...so medit would be interesting....or u can try something like a cercatin % of necro/ss for transforming into wraith...sounds not bad if u plan to go around almost always with a GD.
Chiva well is a must imo. Around 65+ it depends on the skill points u got left.

50 bushido seems cool...for ls and confidence....but i wouldn't use it.
Slayer bows...almost a must.
Lmc is a must.
Enough/decent HCI is a must.
Ofc all other bonuses are more than welcome too.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its funny. swap out vet for resist and his first build is the classic dread / bake pvp temp.

given that your not pvp'ng, i agree with padre as well. matter of fact i would tell you to go the mage route. u can vet ur pet two ways, plus cast invis to get the aggro'd mob off u. mix in a bit of chiv if you can to cast ur cleanse by fire and remove curse. slayer book set will do a hell of a lot of damage. its just so much more serviceable.

also in building ur suit. go with the trav mask or if u insist on archery the headdress. pack as much skill increase as u can.