• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Major Lag Issues

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Log in latency screen will sometimes not populate with latency, sometimes will show adequate latency (50-70) and sometimes show massive latency (3000+)

*Minor Lag begins around 3-4pm PST and includes occaisonal character freezing for 1 second and maybe increased rubberbanding.
[game is playable, but annoying]
*Major Lag occurs during 4-7pm PST and includes frequent character freezing for 1 second and occiasonal character freezing of 2-6 seconds. I freeze about every 10 paces. Bags take longer to open; houses take longer to load; Chat windows/Journal windows delay with updating recent comments; upon logging in, character on screen will not appear dressed; upon logging in, pet health bars will have border, but no name.
[game is playable only if you don't open containers, run too far or engage in combat.]
*Extreme lag occurs during 7-... PST and includes frequent character freezing about every 3 paces and freezing for about 10 seconds-2 minutes. I experienced occaisonal freezes of about 5-8 minutes. Bags will take 2+minutes to open. It only releases to catch up and re-freezes.
[game is completely unplayable and encourages me to demand my monthly fees reimbursed]

Hopefully they will identify the issue and resolve it quickly before I quit UO (again).

This is a perfect description of what im seeing, but i see it with great lakes and atlantic (only ones i play right now). almost more so with great lakes?

just constant rubberbanding, pauses, that didn't used to be there. all equipment and conenction possibilities have been ruled out on my end.

I also notice the login screen thing, where sometimes it shows normal ping times, and other times insanely high, but you don't typically notice a difference between the two.

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seeing as how some people got a free month for the great Atlantic revert, are those of us that cannot connect going to get a free month for EA not living up to their contractual obligations by providing us with a service that we pay for monthly?

Dont even get me started on the increase per month a few years ago for "increased customer service"

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greatlakes traceroute said it had 30 hops, butt-load of timeouts then it just shut off. How do you copy the trace info. to this post?
print screen into a word doc, or jpg and post in message.

not sure what is going on they changed and upgraded the hardware on my servers last week, has done no good so far.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
support@ultimaonline is a joke. I emailed them about this issue about 2 weeks ago and I have only received 1 reply saying they are elevating the issue to a higher level... If this has been a known issue for several months, you would think they could be quicker in notifying me... Leave it to the player base to come with the information we rely on...

anyway I play Pacific almost exclusively and have been having the issue for about 3-4 weeks.
Details are:
Enhanced Client (haven't tested CC)
Typically no issues during the day (off peak periods)
Shards I have tested and have lag: Pacific, Baja, Napa Valley and Origin
Shards I have tested and have NO lag: Atlantic, Chesapeake, Great Lakes, Lake Superior and Seige Perilous.
I connect from home in Denver, CO.
Log in latency screen will sometimes not populate with latency, sometimes will show adequate latency (50-70) and sometimes show massive latency (3000+)

*Minor Lag begins around 3-4pm PST and includes occaisonal character freezing for 1 second and maybe increased rubberbanding.
[game is playable, but annoying]
*Major Lag occurs during 4-7pm PST and includes frequent character freezing for 1 second and occiasonal character freezing of 2-6 seconds. I freeze about every 10 paces. Bags take longer to open; houses take longer to load; Chat windows/Journal windows delay with updating recent comments; upon logging in, character on screen will not appear dressed; upon logging in, pet health bars will have border, but no name.
[game is playable only if you don't open containers, run too far or engage in combat.]
*Extreme lag occurs during 7-... PST and includes frequent character freezing about every 3 paces and freezing for about 10 seconds-2 minutes. I experienced occaisonal freezes of about 5-8 minutes. Bags will take 2+minutes to open. It only releases to catch up and re-freezes.
[game is completely unplayable and encourages me to demand my monthly fees reimbursed]

Hopefully they will identify the issue and resolve it quickly before I quit UO (again).
I got the same Problems here playing Pacific....yesterday (Sunday 10th March 2013) right after Server up for at least 4 hours it was unplayable - and i was only moving stuff, trying to deco and sort items...i stoped it after i was afraid i could miss a lockdown because of the lag and freezing ups...it was on both Clients...i didnt even try to jump to a fight with my drag...sometimes i noticed ugly stuff - i mounted my beetle and 3 seconds later i still had 2 BEETLES on the Screen...

Not nice....

Here are my tracerouts and my ping from a few minutes ago - i cant believe my ping got lost 4 of 4 times??

tracerpacific031113.JPG pingpacific031113.JPG

Last edited:

Lord Obsidian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have seen a huge relief in the Lag issues of late. Last week I was actually able to play during the evenings and only experienced minor lag around 8pm PST. This weekend I had almost no lag, all day and evening. If they've fixed it, I would like to see something on The Herald.

Last edited:

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Txs Lord Obsidian - here are my updated results - its better today actually but still laggy in towns even with not much players there...Covetous Level 3 hunt for a few quick kills...i was lucky i am a stealther/tamer...
Its still some kind of "lag spikes" i got hit with about all 2 mins...as if something is loading...hmm..average Ping 190ms - and i come in from Central Europe....i still feel its slower than it was before without Amazon involved...

traceroutePacificnew.JPG pingpacificnew.JPG

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Can we get a server revert? Like can you take the servers off of the cloud?
I don't think they will, despite the outcry for this change. UO seems to do what UO wants to do, and they RARELY ever go back on a decision. In their minds I imagine the Cloud Servers are Good (for THEM for whatever reason; safe, cheap, etc) but with some problems that need "Fixing." Despite the likely truth that they are just overall bad. In their minds it would probably be too much effort, money, whatever to go back. Not to insult the developers, but if you judge in terms of "opportunity cost," you'll probably save a lot of time (being these lag issues might not be fixable), and money (considering all the people that might rage quit) by going back. Just out of curiosity, what ARE the benefits of the cloud servers? security?

Schatzi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Can we get a server revert? Like can you take the servers off of the cloud?"

I second this...the lag for me on Napa my home shard is just way to bad anymore.
And it's most shards it seems.
For the first time in my UO history I am almost fed up to the point of leaving. I lag
so bad that even decoing is not an option right now.
And forget events or even recalling anywhere. And it usually hits around 6pm pst and
slowly gets worse as the evening goes on. And I ping 16 to Napa.
PLEASE PLEASE FIX IT.
Host Name IP Address Hop Ping Time Ping Avg % Loss Pkts r/s Ping best/worst

G0-6-4-2.LSANCA-LCR-21.verizon- 3 11ms
ae2-0.LAX01-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.n 4 14ms
0.xe-4-0-3.XL3.LAX15.ALTER.NET 152.63.6.41 5 11ms
0.xe-7-0-0.XL3.SJC7.ALTER.NET 152.63.117.205 6 31ms
POS6-0.GW1.SJC7.ALTER.NET 152.63.53.189 7 23ms
ea-gw2.customer.alter.net 157.130.194.226 8 23ms
edge01.eqx-sjc.ea.com 159.153.192.234 9 24ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 10 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 11 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 12 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 13 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 14 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 15 0ms
Host Name IP Address Hop Ping Time Ping Avg % Loss Pkts r/s Ping best/worst

G0-6-4-2.LSANCA-LCR-21.verizon-gn 15ms 12ms 0% 35 / 35 10ms / 21ms
ae2-0.LAX01-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.n 4 53ms 16ms 0% 35 / 35 10ms / 58ms
0.xe-4-0-3.XL3.LAX15.ALTER.NET 152.63.6.41 5 50ms 15ms 0% 35 / 35 6ms / 61ms
0.xe-7-0-0.XL3.SJC7.ALTER.NET 152.63.117.205 6 20ms 26ms 0% 35 / 35 18ms / 77ms
POS6-0.GW1.SJC7.ALTER.NET 152.63.53.189 7 24ms 23ms 0% 35 / 35 20ms / 27ms
ea-gw2.customer.alter.net 157.130.194.226 8 23ms 100% 0 / 34
edge01.eqx-sjc.ea.com 159.153.192.234 9 21ms 24ms 2% 33 / 34 20ms / 48ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 10 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 11 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 12 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 13 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 14 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 15 0ms
* Unknown Host * 0.0.0.0 16 0ms

I hope I posted my trace route properly...I removed my personal info.
I am experiencing 100% packet loss at the alter.net connection.

Last edited:

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, time to bring this thread back to life!

About 2 weeks ago, a change was put in place and the lag was gone for me, and most others.. (still a few peeps here and there). As of 4/1, everything is all slow again.. usually around peak hours. (i play Pacific from Chicago area, were ahead 2 hours here). Im assuming that this has something to do with the "Server Connection Issues" that was posted on the herald.

What still amazes me is that this game is going on 16 years old... an even older engine, and we still have lag and connection issues just like on day one.

Can a dev remind me why I pay to have 2 accounts open that I cant play?

Leira of Asrai

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...Can a dev remind me why I pay to have 2 accounts open that I cant play?
A loud DIITO

Connecting to Pacific from Denver area... Major lag issues again as well. I've been dusting off my old disc games (Oblivion) and playing something with better graphics and no lag.

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A loud DIITO

Connecting to Pacific from Denver area... Major lag issues again as well. I've been dusting off my old disc games (Oblivion) and playing something with better graphics and no lag.
Good choice =). Was thinking of playing Fallout or Skyrim a lil bit

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good choice =). Was thinking of playing Fallout or Skyrim a lil bit
OooOOo.. i've been playing the new gears of war, but skyrim... might have to toss that back in. Last thing i remember doing was building a house and filling it with random crap I couldn't carry lol.

Lady_Rachel

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Major lag here too. Like minutes of waiting for things to happen. Midwest to the Atlantic server.
Basically the game is unplayable in the evenings.

Xabian

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems my lag issues happen when my packets hit the Amazon servers. I lose 25% to 50% pinging it to death. Almost seems like there is a routing issue. This is to LS.

Tracing route to ec2-107-23-150-177.compute-1.amazonaws.com [107.23.150.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 3 ms 2 ms Internal
2 31 ms 37 ms 29 ms Internal
3 65 ms 122 ms 80 ms 173-248-69-252.centurylink.net [173.248.69.252]
4 40 ms 36 ms 33 ms bb-dnvtc056-jx4-02-ge-0-0-2.core.centurytel.net[208.110.249.192]
5 46 ms 50 ms 45 ms bb-kscbmonr-jx9-02-ae2.core.centurytel.net [206.51.69.202]
6 73 ms 72 ms 73 ms bb-nlrkargp-jx9-01-xe-11-1-0.core.centurytel.net[206.51.69.17]
7 83 ms 116 ms 88 ms bb-atlngamv-jx9-01-ae5-0.core.centurytel.net [206.51.69.197]
8 104 ms 102 ms 103 ms bb-rcmtncxa-jx9-01-ae3.0.core.centurytel.net [208.110.248.77]
9 103 ms 101 ms 138 ms bb-rcmtncxa-jx9-02-ae0.core.centurytel.net [208.110.248.66]
10 159 ms 135 ms 149 ms bb-asbnvacy-jx9-02-ae3.0.core.centurytel.net [208.110.248.170]
11 136 ms 133 ms 165 ms bb-asbnvacy-jx9-01-ae0.0.core.centurytel.net [208.110.248.117]
12 142 ms 130 ms * equinix01-iad2.amazon.com [206.126.236.68]
13 143 ms 140 ms 159 ms 72.21.220.55
14 144 ms * * 205.251.245.55
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 137 ms 137 ms 144 ms ec2-107-23-150-177.compute-1.amazonaws.com [107.23.150.177]

Trace complete.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was moving fairly decently this morning, this evening it's slow slow pause and repeat.

Can't post a screenshot of the shard list. The Siege numbers are Latency 273 and packet loss 78%, triple the usual numbers of late.

Attachments

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO isn't working worth a darn and neither is Stractics. Couldn't post the screenshot but it's there as an attachment, trying to edit the post pegs my computers resource meter while DUmeter is showing a 1.1 Mbps download happening. Not good.

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was moving fairly decently this morning, this evening it's slow slow pause and repeat.

Can't post a screenshot of the shard list. The Siege numbers are Latency 273 and packet loss 78%, triple the usual numbers of late.
Packet loss for me tonight making the game unplayable as well. I was only going to be crafting, making a few throwaway suits tonight, and had to give up.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't played other than 10-15 minutes here or there in the past 3 weeks or so because the lag is so horrible. This move to the 'cloud' and Amazon servers has been nothing less than a complete cluster. (it reminds me of how Transamerica Real Estate Tax Service consolidated all their regional offices to Dallas, TX against the recommendations of their top people... 5 years later they were out of business, sold to their competitor). The cloud is nothing different than the old dummy terminal/server/mainframe set up. It's not good, especially for gaming like UO.

Whoever the idiot was who moved UO onto cloud servers needs to be fired.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't even PvM at this rate. It's pointless to even log on right now unless it's in the evening. I have a 25% packet loss when I ping my server and it's that way from morning until around 6-7 pm my time (west coast). Amazon needs to do something about the enormous lag their servers cause, or else UO needs to go back to the way it was.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't played other than 10-15 minutes here or there in the past 3 weeks or so because the lag is so horrible. This move to the 'cloud' and Amazon servers has been nothing less than a complete cluster. (it reminds me of how Transamerica Real Estate Tax Service consolidated all their regional offices to Dallas, TX against the recommendations of their top people... 5 years later they were out of business, sold to their competitor). The cloud is nothing different than the old dummy terminal/server/mainframe set up. It's not good, especially for gaming like UO.

Whoever the idiot was who moved UO onto cloud servers needs to be fired.
I'm just damn glad I only bought 3 month game cards when I added game time last time around. This is getting worse instead of better. I'll be finding something else to play and just pay the Siege shop account every 4th month. If EA doesn't want my business, I'll take the hint. <shrugs>

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Just a small technical background info:

UO uses the TCP protocol which ENFORCES that no packets are allowed to get lost. So if you do have major packetloss anywhere along the route TCP will wait up to 64seconds(!!) before requesting a packet again.

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OooOOo.. i've been playing the new gears of war, but skyrim... might have to toss that back in. Last thing i remember doing was building a house and filling it with random crap I couldn't carry lol.
Skyrim was one of the better games ive played in a long long time. Dont want to get back into it though.. its very addictive =). Ill save it for the new Fallout whenever that comes out.

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
There you have it, packet loss > 50% = essentially dead connection for UO

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea hear ya Ron. If i wasn't tied down to Pacific because of all my loot, woulda been gone a decade ago lol.

Lag was pretty good all day up until about 3pmPST. Now im getting those annoying step-pause-step cycles. So much for attending the event tonight =/.

Revan123

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yeah, I've been complaining about this for at least 2 months now. For the past two months, I could not field fight or pvm at all, and have only been able to do very little dueling. I've been playing other games, while occasionally logging in to UO, only to smash my face on the keyboard (figuratively speaking) every time I log in, and wonder why I'm paying $180 an account per year for a game that is completely unplayable and useless to me. I played with dial up during Age Of Shadows, and even that was better than this. It would seem that they tried to fix it for a little bit, but then they just gave up on it. Anyhow, I've lost just about all hope that they are ever going to fix it. The game is just about completely unplayable as is, and I doubt anything is going to be done about it. I hate to be a sour apple in the bunch, but unless this is fixed within the next few weeks or so, I'm most likely going to cancel my accounts. In the meantime, I'll be clearing my houses out. Sorry UO, but I tried :(

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seeing this a lot lately... and I'm on the West coast for pete's sake...

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hate to be a sour apple in the bunch, but unless this is fixed within the next few weeks or so, I'm most likely going to cancel my accounts. In the meantime, I'll be clearing my houses out. Sorry UO, but I tried :(
They've got until early June with me, this cloud latency and packet loss routine has gotten really old to the point it's a showstopper.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, last 3 times I've gone out I've suffered lag deaths.... That is very annoying..