• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Magic Items - What to keep?

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey all!

Being back in UO, i am out hunting, doing t-maps etc...
But what confuse me is, What is good to keep nowadays?

it was so easy with just power and Vanq etc ;)

With Imbuing, it feels like every single i find out in the wilderness is useless..

What kind of items are the one worth keeping, if anything?
And if nothing, why bother hunting? :)

If we take Non-shame examples atleast, i know there are items there, but is it the only place to be?

Thanks!

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always keep the minor artifact (from green backpack) any SOA's and SOT''s, vines and other goodies. Might be another map or a skeleton key. etc etc.
As for the armour parts they aren't up to much compared to what you can craft these days.
I use the Pinco UI so after I have taken all the good items I use the "loot all" option to suck all the contents out of the chest. I then dump this back at my house to unravel.

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It can be worth keeping jewellery with certain properties (e.g. FC, FCR3, high HCI/DCI...) because when imbuing jewellery, there are no penalties to using looted items rather than crafted, and those properties are relatively expensive to imbue

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It can be worth keeping jewellery with certain properties (e.g. FC, FCR3, high HCI/DCI...) because when imbuing jewellery, there are no penalties to using looted items rather than crafted, and those properties are relatively expensive to imbue
So the only positive thing to using looted items , is that its cheaper, because you only need to imbue less into it?

So basicly you can always craft and imbue the perfect items that always will be better than loot drops?

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So the only positive thing to using looted items , is that its cheaper, because you only need to imbue less into it?

So basicly you can always craft and imbue the perfect items that always will be better than loot drops?
Right now we have a good combination of crafted/looted. Some looted items, like those Jonathen mentioned are good to use as a base item. It has it`s max mod and then you add on top of that. You save time or gold or both doing it like that. Other items like elemental weapons are also good to pick up. You can now craft these, but it`s a pain and using up many charges on your runics.

Crafted items can be made almost perfect, using loads and loads of time and resources. There are some suits made that have cost in the 100 millions to make. However - crafting is always capped in how many mods can be on an item and how high the total intensity of those mods can be. Loot that drops in Shame for ecample can surpass that. So single items in the new dungeons have mods that are not craftable on that type of weapon/armour, and/or the intensity is higher than what can be crafted. In addition the number of mods on a single item can be higher than one can craft.

I think the recent changes gives us the best of both worlds. Those who previously enjoyed hunting for that perfect piece can now do so, and those who enjoy crafting can do so. Combined this is a unique system, I don`t hink I have seen that part solved any better in any other game I have played.

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right now we have a good combination of crafted/looted. Some looted items, like those Jonathen mentioned are good to use as a base item. It has it`s max mod and then you add on top of that. You save time or gold or both doing it like that. Other items like elemental weapons are also good to pick up. You can now craft these, but it`s a pain and using up many charges on your runics.

Crafted items can be made almost perfect, using loads and loads of time and resources. There are some suits made that have cost in the 100 millions to make. However - crafting is always capped in how many mods can be on an item and how high the total intensity of those mods can be. Loot that drops in Shame for ecample can surpass that. So single items in the new dungeons have mods that are not craftable on that type of weapon/armour, and/or the intensity is higher than what can be crafted. In addition the number of mods on a single item can be higher than one can craft.

I think the recent changes gives us the best of both worlds. Those who previously enjoyed hunting for that perfect piece can now do so, and those who enjoy crafting can do so. Combined this is a unique system, I don`t hink I have seen that part solved any better in any other game I have played.
Thank you, and sorry for the barrage of newbie questions.. :)

But as i understand it, the max intensity is still the same, even if its crafted or looted. One looted item can't add infinite new stuff to it with Imbuing..

But if we take an example for me to understand easier:

I Craft an item with a barbed Runic kit.
I Find an item in a dungeon.

Lets say both are exactly the same:

Leather Tunic
6Mi
4LMC
15LRC
Low resists

Now, i go to imbue both the items..
Shouldnt both have the same 'Imbue Weight' already, meaning i can only add so much to both of them, regardless of them being crafter or looted?

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shouldnt both have the same 'Imbue Weight' already, meaning i can only add so much to both of them, regardless of them being crafter or looted?
Yes, if you want to further work on the looted item same cap applies. You usually just want to work with a ring for example that only has one mod of max intensity, if not the others are some you need. However - hunting for loot in shame you really are after items that can`t be crafted and have so high intensities that no more crafting is possible or really needed. Pretty much what is was before imbuing. 6 mod items with higher than crafting intensities. I have seen a few of those posted, I`ll see if I can find a link.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not quite. Non exceptional items have the same weight allowance as looted items, but exceptional items get a bonus. (except jewellery)
In short it's not about which is best so much as having a choice.
You can craft a suit, you can build a suit solely from looted items, or you can combine the two. I have a character wearing solely items looted from Shame, she has full lrc and lmc and all 70s resists, plus a couple of other properties I don't remember off hand, but it's not all insurable and some of it can't be repaired. She also has in the bank replacement pieces just in case - which takes me back in time to the way we used to do things before insurance, having a spare suit for when you lost the one you were wearing or the pieces wore out and could no longer safely be repaired.

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Shame loot is a *very* different animal to normal loot. As Serafi has already said, Shame-type items can exceed normal individual property caps, and can potentially far exceed total caps, but often have penalties too. Reforging, which uses runic tools and imbuing skill, works on the same system. These are comparable to artifacts in terms of power, although the properties will be more or less random.

Loot from the 'old' (not Shame) system hasn't changed, likewise runic crafting. It's possible to find good items but because the properties are so random, most will be pretty useless. Unsure from your original post if you're familiar with any magic item systems since power/vanq...?

Imbuing offers much more control than runic crafting, but is restricted in some aspects. As Petra said, most exceptional crafted items have a higher limit for imbuing, so if you plan to imbue a piece, use exceptional crafted rather than looted (the exception being jewellery where the limit is the same)

Going back to your original questions - there are plenty of things to hunt for besides magic items (powerscrolls, crafting/imbuing resources, quest items, fun...) and there are some good boss fights which occasionally give powerful equipment. There's also more for thieves, fishers and other non-combat professions, than used to be the case. It's easy to get a good suit, but it will take time and/or gold to fine tune it. I still check corpses for items that have a high property count because just occasionally there's a really nice one. Best advice is try everything to get a feel for it yourself!