• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Magery Mastery Changes pet behvaiour

Moboid

Visitor
Training my Nightmare with Magery Mastery caused it to try and keep mobs at range. If cornered it will fight back but it moves very unpredictably which for my Treasure hunter tamer is not ideal. Issuing an attack also caused it to try and back off.

There's no option to switch back to just just Magery only to take another skill from the magical abilities category. So I trained poisoning and behavior went back to normal (at the cost of some training points).

Do wonder if this was intended as the training gui makes no mention of this. Magery Mastery: "trains the creature in the advanced use of magery spells" Is there a situation where a magic only pet is ideal?

kazeandi

Adventurer
Maybe in a team with a tank. With buffed mana reg it might dish out nice damage. Probably not a solo pet.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Training my Nightmare with Magery Mastery caused it to try and keep mobs at range. If cornered it will fight back but it moves very unpredictably which for my Treasure hunter tamer is not ideal. Issuing an attack also caused it to try and back off.

There's no option to switch back to just just Magery only to take another skill from the magical abilities category. So I trained poisoning and behavior went back to normal (at the cost of some training points).

Do wonder if this was intended as the training gui makes no mention of this. Magery Mastery: "trains the creature in the advanced use of magery spells" Is there a situation where a magic only pet is ideal?
I have noticed this as well... Its the same as the new Archer AI. Can be really frustrating when you fight monsters that can fly, cause if they go up on the Z axis, the pets run around all crazy trying to find a place to cast from.

@Kyronix Any suggestions or fixes here?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

This is also causing significant issues on uneven terrain (like Navrey lair).

Moboid

Visitor
Had some spare time so I went to test centre and it's also happening there.

Merus does your pet ever use Death Ray? Tested with a Ki-rin thinking that might be the problem and the only time it seemed to use it was against Swoop (had another pet tanking).

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Had some spare time so I went to test centre and it's also happening there.

Merus does your pet ever use Death Ray? Tested with a Ki-rin thinking that might be the problem and the only time it seemed to use it was against Swoop (had another pet tanking).
I haven't noticed deathray. But it's happening for me all over the place. Was down hunting nightmares this morning and if the target was more than a few tiles away, my Stygian Drake would run the other way as soon as I told it to kill trying to find a place to cast from. It seems to be the same AI that the archers in the new despise use. It is extremely frustrating...

@Bleak @Kyronix

You all looking into this at all?

Turbo

Adventurer
Sounds like its intentional so you can have the option to make a ranged damage pet. Im guessing thats what 'advanced use of mage spells' means. If working properly it could have a few uses like staying out of range of things that cast aoe.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds like its intentional so you can have the option to make a ranged damage pet. Im guessing thats what 'advanced use of mage spells' means. If working properly it could have a few uses like staying out of range of things that cast aoe.
Will make it pretty useless if that is true. I've put the drake away cause it just to much of a hastle to hunt with it running off screen.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not so sure this behavior is being caused by advanced magery training. I am not doing advanced training yet. I am still trying to fill my Pet Progress Bar, and my Dread Warhorse is exhibiting this exact same behavior.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I gave my reptillion magery and it does the same until its mana runs out and then it attacks. It shoots little fireballs.