• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mage/Bard Treasure Hunter

R

recreant359

Hey there folks! I have decided after many years(about 7) to give UO another try. KR is kinda pushing me towards it and I have grown increasingly bored of wow/eq/eq2/vanguard. So, im back and a total n00b.

With that in mind before I quit I had a mage bard treasure hunter. I could read maps, pick chests and I could provoke two monsters to fight each other. So when I could up the chest and the monsters would come, I could make them attack one another, and could nuke em down myself.

I have come across the advanced character program and must say I am intrigued. To my dismay it would seem that their Thunter build uses peacemaking instead of provoking. Is this viable? Is the ACP even worth it? I would love some feedback on the issue.

....One last thing. I have not played in forever and really dont have any friends that play this game or would be interested in playing. So I would love to get a guild invite or some people who are just willing to help me out as far as info atleast. Thanks in advance for your time!

G

Either peace/provo works well its more a difference in playstyle - the lvl6 tmaps its sometimes better to have peace to get away from the original spawn of 4.

ACP is up to you I have never bothered with it some people find the little time it saves worthwile but at lower levels its easy to get skill gains so I havent felt the need to waste the money.

Decide on a shard then post looking for guilds or look at top of forum for links to people who will help on different shards thats your best avenue to get started

Welcome Back

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If I was to go the route of the Advanced character for that template, I'd use the base custom character to make a base T-Hunter (50 LP, 50 Cart), then use the Advanced Character Token on that character for the Advanced BARD template (and soulstone off what bard skills you choose not to use, like Disco)...

That would leave you with
Cart (50, easy to train up)
LP (50, easy to train up, compared to bard skills - especially since the anti-macro code is gone and you can use only one box at each normal training level up to 95, instead of dozens in the old days for the GM boxes)
Music
Magery
Provo
Peace
Choice of Meditation or Eval Int.

If you can put together a massive mana regen suit, go that route and take eval. Otherwise, take med, and primarily cast only heals, summons and mind blast (none of which require eval). Or, you can soulstone either peace or provo and keep both med and eval.

Another option (which I personally think is a cheap cop-out) is to keep all 4, and have Carto on your character only to decode maps, and swap it with lockpick (using multiple stones) to dig and open the chests. The maps remember who decoded them, so if you decode them with carto, you can still dig them with the SAME CHARACTER after carto has been stoned off.

P

Prudentis

Hold it.

You really want to throw 30 $ away on a worthless "advanced" character token?
Personally I think, that it's one of the biggest and most shameless ripoffs.
I mean, if they offered 80-GM or GM-Legendary tokens, that would be maybe some point to it, but 0-85 for 30$ ???

But if you really mean to stuck the money down EA's throat, than do me a personal favor and at least take the tamer or in your T-Hunters case, the bard template.
Since you aren't interested in peace, the only skill worth it in the thunter template, you don't gain anything by buying it.
Every skill in the t-hunter temp, can be trained to 85 within a few hours.
The only skills, that are somewhat harder are peace, and provo. (besides the obvious taming which you arn't interested in)
So if you intend to get any value for your money, take the bard template and keep provo and musik and add magery, medi, eval, carto and lock

R

recreant359

out of curiosity how is it easy to skill up to 80 in only a few hours? Are there special tricks to it?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
it depends on the skill, really.

Each of the profession forums has guides for quick gain in some skills listed, though in the case of many, guides are a few years out of date.

Many skills have the ability to be trained quickly to 50, in New Haven, using the New Player Experience quests. Unfortunately, the T-Hunter and Bard skills aren't part of those, but the magery-related ones are.

Cartography can be quickly gained by making maps, so long as you have a supply of blank scrolls or blank maps - it's just a matter of making maps you have a 40-80% chance of making, selling the made maps back to the mapmaker, then buying more supplies back. Lockpicking can be trained quickly at any number of lockpicking training houses, by locking a chest with the key provided, then picking it. The chests/boxes are even separated in groups based on the skill your character is at, with books and engravings, for optimum gains. Alternatively, you can have someone make you the boxes in question (you only need one of each type now), and train whereever you'd like.

P

Prudentis

<blockquote><hr>

out of curiosity how is it easy to skill up to 80 in only a few hours? Are there special tricks to it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not in the case of taming, provocation or discordance.
There some other hard skills (ninjutsu).
Most other skills are easy to train up. At least to 80+. The hard part about cartography for example is where you don't gain on world maps anymore (95 or 99?) You have to decode tattered clevery drawn maps there.

Here is a bard training guide:
Bard skills to GM

With this, you should be able to decide, if getting the skills to 85, is worth the money.