• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mage/Bard skill question

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hello!

I just returned to UO a few days ago and was able to recover my account from ten years ago. My main is a mage/bard but I also had some crafting skills. I'm trying to determine if I should leave him alone or switch some skills. My skill set is the following:

Elder Music
Elder Magery
GM Meditation
GM Provoke
GM Alchemy
GM Inscription
GM Eval. Intelligence

I trying to determine if I should drop alchemy and/or inscription for something like wrestling, resist or peacemaking. I want him to be a very effective provoking bard and he is but I also have a huge weakness against higher level casters without the resist. On the other hand, I'd hate to lose the GM Alchemy and GM Inscription because I remember them taking a long time to raise, not to mention expensive.

Any thoughts on this template? If I'm mainly using magery to travel, cure, heal, and the finishing touch on a monster, do I really need the GM Eval. Intelligence? If I drop that, should I drop it for resist or peace? Wrestling is really the last on my list.

Not asking for anyone to decide for me. I'd just love to hear any suggestions or tips, especially since I've been gone for ten years and might not know of some bonuses that these skills have that are more recent.

Thanks everyone! It's great to be back!

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Welcome back!
Don't throw the skills away, get a soulstone and move them to another character.
I'd bring your bard skills up to 120 real skill, it's much more powerful (and needed for higher end enemies) and will allow you to run the bard masteries very effectively. The disco bard mastery is pretty great, you can do damage to creatures directly as well as have it trigger additional damage when the creature takes damage from another source (like the thing it's provo'd against.) I'd go with a mage weapon over wrestling for defence since it frees up skill points.
You'll also want an updated suit, equipment has gotten crazy over the years.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back.

Firstly, there are items called Soulstones, and Soulstone Fragments, these allow you to store skills so you can safely take them off of a character should you think you'll need them at a later time.

Inscription currently serves two real purposes, one is crafting Scrapper's Compendiums - a special spellbook which can have additional mods when crafted, the most valuable of which are slayers. The other purpose is 'mostly' for PvP where you get a 10% Spell Damage Increase bonus and 5% Casting Focus (lets you avoid fizzling spells) at GM.

Alchemy is pretty much just useful for PvP.

You should read up on and do the quests for the Bard Mastery's as these are very useful.

You can use a Mage Weapon in place of Wrestling/Defensive Wrestling, this uses your Magery skill usually with a minus ranging from -29 Magery to -0, you can craft -10 Mage Weapons. For example a -10, would reduce your 110 Magery to 100, and you'd effectively have 100 Magery and 100 Weapon skill (which means not getting hit 100% by anything that hits you). People offset this by putting plus Magery skill on their jewellery or other items. That said you should get a 120 Magery scroll and try to get items that allow you to use a Mage Weapon while remainig at 120.

You don't necessarily need Resisting Spells anymore as there are a lot of items that can counteract it's usefulness freeing up more skill points.

You don't necessarily need Eval either. Partly because running Bard Mastery's uses mana and it's preferable to have these running than dump it all.

You will want to raise any Bard skills to 120 as it affects both success and the Mastery's. Having more than one Bard skill also increases the effect of the other Bard skills Mastery's. For example one of the Provoke Mastery's restores health, if you have 120 Peace as well it restores more, and if you have 120 Discord it restores even more, as well as numerous other buffs.

The Mastery's use mana to cast and maintain, which means Med and Mana Regen armour is fairly essential.

Discord has two very good Mastery's that allow you to do damage. Work with slayer instruments, and allow you to select the damage type, so for example with a Dragon Slayer instrument set to fire you would do a ton of damage against a White Wyrm (if set to cold you would do a lot less). Usually a 1-2 hit kill depending on other skills.

I would strongly recommend going for something like:

120 Mage
120 Med
120 Music
120 Prov
120 Discord

The last skill can be interchangeable (with Soulstones), I personally use Peace (for NO other reason than boosting Provoke and Discord Mastery's), Spellweaving (more healing/summoning/damage output options you should look up separately if interested) and (hardly ever anymore) Resist.

Many people also make their Bard into a summoner class by hybriding with Mysticism to use the 5 slot (which means being on foot or a gargoyle) summon Rising Colossus. Mysticism, like Spellweaving is a whole other discussion, it uses Focus the same way Magery uses Eval, Focus also passively regenerates Mana but is half as effective as Med. However, you can use non-med armour with Focus which allows you to reach 55 Lower Mana Cost rather than 40. This option is more a 'summon, hide and hope the monster doesn't automatically Dispel' option compared to say Mage/Prov/Discord.

With regards to Magery without Eval, the primary purpose in having 120 is success chance casting Energy Vortex's is 100% at 120, secondly the melee defence using a Mage Weapon 120 is the most you can have. You can still also use it for; Lesser Heal, Greater Heal, Cure, Arch Cure, Create Food, Teleport, Wall Of Stone, Poison Field, Poison, Dispel, Mass Dispel, Dispel Field, Energy Field, Mindblast (only direct offense spell, cold damage, not affected by Spell Damage Increase), Gate, Recall, Invis (hugely helpful on a Provoker), Polymorph (useful in some fights), Summons for various damage types casters and meleers. (Firefield still works but the damage would be reduced to 1, you can still Parralyse Field but it uses your Eval vs the targets Resist Spells to whether it works.)

With the above template a typical fight would go something like; Discord the strongest target, Provoke all the weaker targets on to it, Summons, use both Discord Mastery's to add more damage (set to the lowest resist and where possible a slayer instrument/exceptional instrument)... Alternatively, on a first level of a Champion Spawn for example you might use the two Provoke Mastery's to heal yourself while allowing your Summons to kill the smaller stuff, a favourite tactic is to Teleport around so everything targets you which makes it easier for your Energy Vortex's to kill things.

That's quite a lot to be getting on with, but to begin I would just look up the Mastery's (google "uo bard mastery's" and read about them on UOguide)

Last edited:

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back!
Don't throw the skills away, get a soulstone and move them to another character.
I'd bring your bard skills up to 120 real skill, it's much more powerful (and needed for higher end enemies) and will allow you to run the bard masteries very effectively. The disco bard mastery is pretty great, you can do damage to creatures directly as well as have it trigger additional damage when the creature takes damage from another source (like the thing it's provo'd against.) I'd go with a mage weapon over wrestling for defence since it frees up skill points.
You'll also want an updated suit, equipment has gotten crazy over the years.
Thanks Lord Taliesin! I need to look into the mage weapons as I've looted quite a few over the last few days. When you say that I need an updated suit, what do you mean? I came back to my 100%+ LRC suit but haven't paid too much attention to the other attributes. I think it has fairly decent defenses (fire, ice, poison, etc.). Is that what you mean?

Also, getting a soulstone doesn't seem to be an easy task without the cash. I found that I do have one soulstone fragment in my bank box from years past so I think I can use that.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back.

Firstly, there are items called Soulstones, and Soulstone Fragments, these allow you to store skills so you can safely take them off of a character should you think you'll need them at a later time.

Inscription currently serves two real purposes, one is crafting Scrapper's Compendiums - a special spellbook which can have additional mods when crafted, the most valuable of which are slayers. The other purpose is 'mostly' for PvP where you get a 10% Spell Damage Increase bonus and 5% Casting Focus (lets you avoid fizzling spells) at GM.

Alchemy is pretty much just useful for PvP.

You should read up on and do the quests for the Bard Mastery's as these are very useful.

You can use a Mage Weapon in place of Wrestling/Defensive Wrestling, this uses your Magery skill usually with a minus ranging from -29 Magery to -0, you can craft -10 Mage Weapons. For example a -10, would reduce your 110 Magery to 100, and you'd effectively have 100 Magery and 100 Weapon skill (which means not getting hit 100% by anything that hits you). People offset this by putting plus Magery skill on their jewellery or other items. That said you should get a 120 Magery scroll and try to get items that allow you to use a Mage Weapon while remainig at 120.

You don't necessarily need Resisting Spells anymore as there are a lot of items that can counteract it's usefulness freeing up more skill points.

You don't necessarily need Eval either. Partly because running Bard Mastery's uses mana and it's preferable to have these running than dump it all.

You will want to raise any Bard skills to 120 as it affects both success and the Mastery's. Having more than one Bard skill also increases the effect of the other Bard skills Mastery's. For example one of the Provoke Mastery's restores health, if you have 120 Peace as well it restores more, and if you have 120 Discord it restores even more, as well as numerous other buffs.

The Mastery's use mana to cast and maintain, which means Med and Mana Regen armour is fairly essential.

Discord has two very good Mastery's that allow you to do damage. Work with slayer instruments, and allow you to select the damage type, so for example with a Dragon Slayer instrument set to fire you would do a ton of damage against a White Wyrm (if set to cold you would do a lot less). Usually a 1-2 hit kill depending on other skills.

I would strongly recommend going for something like:

120 Mage
120 Med
120 Music
120 Prov
120 Discord

The last skill can be interchangeable (with Soulstones), I personally use Peace (for NO other reason than boosting Provoke and Discord Mastery's), Spellweaving (more healing/summoning/damage output options you should look up separately if interested) and (hardly ever anymore) Resist.

Many people also make their Bard into a summoner class by hybriding with Mysticism to use the 5 slot (which means being on foot or a gargoyle) summon Rising Colossus. Mysticism, like Spellweaving is a whole other discussion, it uses Focus the same way Magery uses Eval, Focus also passively regenerates Mana but is half as effective as Med. However, you can use non-med armour with Focus which allows you to reach 55 Lower Mana Cost rather than 40. This option is more a 'summon, hide and hope the monster doesn't automatically Dispel' option compared to say Mage/Prov/Discord.

With regards to Magery without Eval, the primary purpose in having 120 is success chance casting Energy Vortex's is 100% at 120, secondly the melee defence using a Mage Weapon 120 is the most you can have. You can still also use it for; Lesser Heal, Greater Heal, Cure, Arch Cure, Create Food, Teleport, Wall Of Stone, Poison Field, Poison, Dispel, Mass Dispel, Dispel Field, Energy Field, Mindblast (only direct offense spell, cold damage, not affected by Spell Damage Increase), Gate, Recall, Invis (hugely helpful on a Provoker), Polymorph (useful in some fights), Summons for various damage types casters and meleers. (Firefield still works but the damage would be reduced to 1, you can still Parralyse Field but it uses your Eval vs the targets Resist Spells to whether it works.)

With the above template a typical fight would go something like; Discord the strongest target, Provoke all the weaker targets on to it, Summons, use both Discord Mastery's to add more damage (set to the lowest resist and where possible a slayer instrument/exceptional instrument)... Alternatively, on a first level of a Champion Spawn for example you might use the two Provoke Mastery's to heal yourself while allowing your Summons to kill the smaller stuff, a favourite tactic is to Teleport around so everything targets you which makes it easier for your Energy Vortex's to kill things.

That's quite a lot to be getting on with, but to begin I would just look up the Mastery's (google "uo bard mastery's" and read about them on UOguide)
Thanks so much for the detail! I only have access to a soulstone fragment from my earlier days so if I'm not mistaken, that means I can only store one skill to keep for later. It sounds like it would be wise to switch the Eval. Int. for Peacemaking. Maybe I should drop Alchemy and give it to another character. Then I can keep the minor inscription bonus you mentioned above. I don't PvP so the alchemy is only for the money-making aspect. I could potentially use the spot left by alchemy for something I'm not planning on this character being a big badass; I just want him to be a powerful enough bard/mage that's fun. I also like the idea of keeping alchemy and inscription together since they fit the idea of a pure and academic mage. Here is what I'm thinking:

110 Provocation
110 Magery
100 Musicianship
100 Peacemaking
100 Meditation
100 Inscription
100 Alchemy (maybe switch for Discordance)

I need to learn about Mysticism...that's a new one for me. I really like the sound of the Bard Mastery quests. I'll get right on that Provocation one.

Thanks so much!

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
A soul stone fragment should let you move 5 skills unless you've used some charges. If you have any vet reward picks you can get a full soulstone as a first year pick.
Suit wise it's become relatively easy to max out alot of properties. At minium you'll want 100% lrc 40% lmc and 70 resists with as much mana increase and regen as possible. If you happen to be on Napa I'd be happy to make a suit for you.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With that set up you will probably be relegated to much of the lower content.
With only GM in the bard skills you'll be limiting the effectiveness of the masteries to near uselessness, though if you don't go the mastery use route you would still want to at least use some skill bonus items to get those skills high enough where you have a better chance to use the skills themselves on high end mobs.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
You can also craft 1 use Soulstone Fragments using Alchemy.

You don't need a Soulstone to store Eval as it can be GM'd in a few hours.

I would add 2/6 casting to the above recommended suit, and probably 45 DCI too.

I'm sort of under the impression that when you talk about using Alchemy to make money you're thinking in terms of selling kegs of potions. I would save your time, most people who use potions (mainly PvPers) buy them in bulk (10's of thousands) from people who have long scripted huge supplies. Same with Inscription, selling Recalls doesn't cut it anymore, it's not worth the effort. You can make more just with basic hunting. Could be wrong just my impression from when you said you last played.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You can also craft 1 use Soulstone Fragments using Alchemy.

You don't need a Soulstone to store Eval as it can be GM'd in a few hours.

I would add 2/6 casting to the above recommended suit, and probably 45 DCI too.

I'm sort of under the impression that when you talk about using Alchemy to make money you're thinking in terms of selling kegs of potions. I would save your time, most people who use potions (mainly PvPers) buy them in bulk (10's of thousands) from people who have long scripted huge supplies. Same with Inscription, selling Recalls doesn't cut it anymore, it's not worth the effort. You can make more just with basic hunting. Could be wrong just my impression from when you said you last played.
Thanks or the info! You are correct. I used to sell kegs of heal, cure, explosion, and dp at Luna bank and make great money. So...not so much anymore?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Thanks or the info! You are correct. I used to sell kegs of heal, cure, explosion, and dp at Luna bank and make great money. So...not so much anymore?
Well a keg is a 100 potions maximum. You can use a commodity deed to store up to 60,000 of something. So people tend to buy 10k each potion or more at a time. It's not to say you couldn't do the same thing, but I don't imagine anyone selling 10k+ potions is doing it without a script, a spare account (if they play at all other than like this), as it'd be too time consuming/boring to do manually. I'm sure someone will jump on and say they still do it the legit way, or that the little shops still make a good couple of k, but it's so small scale compared to what you can make it'd be a huge waste of time/effort on anyone's part.

If I were you I would have the following plan in mind;
1. Do the Mastery quest for Bard skills, takes mere minutes.
2. Decide if you want to keep Alchemy at all, making Soulstone Framents requires (I forget the exact name and cba to look it up) some sort of crystal dust from the Prism Of Light Dungeon, this is easy to obtain, and Shimmering Crystals from the Shimmering Effusion 'Peerless' (same dungeon), these are less easy to obtain and I expect on most shards people figured out they could be used for the frags by now and bought all the spare ones up (as they were previously functionless decor/cleanup points. If it's unlikely you're going to bother with that (and the aforementioned potion crafting), I probably wouldn't waste a charge storing Alchemy these days.
3. I WOULD store Inscription, and lower Eval naturally.
4. If you haven't got much money I would frequently check the Valor, Humillity, Serrado and Dragon Turtle Champion Spawns and listen out for anyone doing Shadowguard runs in general chat and try to tag along. At the spawns you can pick up 50k+ at the end of each one, more if you've got a Bag Of Sending, Horde Minion, pack animal etc. Spawns are easy, people forget they were done by 7x GM's to start with because no one had scrolls yet.
5. When you've got enough money buy the 120 Music and Provoke Powerscrolls (these are usually pretty cheap on most shards - 200k) and start working them up and lowering Alchemy/Eval. If you've got a good suit you can work them by toggling Mastery's on and off. Keep an eye out for cheap scrolls of Transcendence (give you direct gains in the skill) and Alacrity (give you 15 minutes of enhanced gains - any time you gain you get 0.2-0.5 per time) But make sure you're setup to work that skill for those 15 minutes don't waste it during regular hunting, the second you eat it the clock is ticking.
Later, when you've more money get scrolls for Med and Magery. Both can also be worked pretty easily, equip a -29 Mage Weapon (and dont compensate, you can craft/Imbue this with a human character with 0 Imbuing) and you only have to train to effectively 91. Magery can be GM'd in less than 2 hours (this was before advanced gain scrolls) I think it might have even been something like 1 hour 10 minutes with less optimal gain methods than are available now.
6. Add Discord to your template before Peace if you do Peace at all, it is infinitely more useful, when you get to 90 you can train using Mastery's. When you run out of points from Eval/Anatomy hopefully you'll have somewhere to stone Inscription to by then, leave it on in the meantime as it's giving you 5 Casting Focus.
7. When you're 120 Music/Provoke (and before actually) you can ramp up the things you hunt, quick money makers include Provoking Swoop (Twisted Weald dungeon) on to Parragon Cu Sidhe, Miasma on to Rend (Labyrinth dungeon), you can also use/sell the chests as they have level 5 maps.

So aside from Discord which will probably take 1 week to GM 2 weeks to 120, the rest can be done in less than a week.

Get slayer instruments, Iolo's Lute/Gwennos Harp cover Repond/Demon/Undead/Reptile with 1600 charges to start with, you can get Flute Of Renewals from the old Treasures Of Tokuno event for Arachnid/Elemental (usually cheap too), they have charges that replenish while not being used, Mastery's use charges so if you're just toggling stuff on and off or it's low end use either a Dread Horn Flute (non exceptional replenish charges cheap drop from Dreadhorn 'Peerless' encounter in Twisted Weald dungeon), or an exceptionally crafted. Use the exceptional for anything without a slayer type too.

Optionally, you could start using Fire Horns, they drop on most things. Buy a bulk amount of Sulphorous Ash (10-60k), the more bard skills you have the more damage they do. They're not amazing but pretty good for low level spawn.

Get a Mage Weapon setup, doesn't matter what as long as it's compensated for or doesn't need one. Like a -0 Staff Of Magi/Staff Of Pyros (careful with the Pyros as it's Undead Slayer you'll take double damage from Repond monsters melee), -20 Weapon with +20 on jewellery. It'll keep you alive so much more than most people will ever realise.

Last edited: