• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mac?

MageCruella

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok...is it possible to play UO on a Mac..if so , what do I need?
I have struggled with a reasonably new computer for over a year, lag, lag, lag. The problem appears to be shared video card memory. Hence I need to buy a new computer.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EC or 2D ?

Have you tried checking if windows indexing service is enabled using illustration below?

Find UO Folder:
Do this:

Let us know :)

MageCruella

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was indeed checked and I have unchecked. Thanks so much! I will let you know if this works.

That said...Can you play UO on a mac?

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
uo was not designed to run on a mac, you would need to find a windows emulater and somehow install directx which is a windows only graphics software.

im not saying it cant be done, but i would highly discourage attemting it. :)

If you do get a mac i would suggest dual boot with OSx on one boot and windows7 on another, Mac is essentially a regular pc so it can easy dual boot windows7.

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
im running both clients on imacs with windows xp, no problems

MageCruella

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks that will be very helpful when choosing a new computer. That said, this one seems to be running better in UO after unchecking index , but Ill let you know when I am a little more certain. Much appreciated.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
good that it appear to run better :)

Next time windows tells you "search is slow - add to index?" think a bit and dont add program/games folder to index :)

W

Woodsman

You can run UO on a Mac a few ways:

A virtual machine (VM) where an actual copy of Windows is actually installed, using one of these software:
VirtualBox
Parallels Desktop
VMWare Fusion

Or using Crossover Games or WINE, where it's more of a virtual/emulation of Windows, since Windows isn't installed.

VirtualBox, Parallels, VMWare are good for CC, EC seems to run better under Crossover/WINE.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
As Woodsman said, either Crossover/WINE or install Windows via Bootcamp.

W

Woodsman

I will say that I had issues with Pinco's UI under Crossover, relating to permissions, but I seemed to have solved them with his help.

I believe Pinco does some Linux testing under WINE.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wine Is Not an Emulator

WINE actually runs everything native, it's a re-implementation of the API's , so save yourself the $300 windows licence and 50% of your processor and memory that would be dedicated to keeping a second OS running virtual and just run the game direct.

Classic client has worked 100% in WINE for the past 10 years, and the mac port of WINE has been around for 3-4 now (though either a crossover build or a pure WINE build).

The EC works 100% once it's installed, but the installer system it uses currently has a bug w/ wine where it takes FOREVER to get past the first step, it'll look like it's frozen but just leave it for a few minutes and it'll be done.

W

Woodsman

so save yourself the $300 windows licence and 50% of your processor and memory that would be dedicated to keeping a second OS running virtual and just run the game direct.
Save yourself $170 and buy a home version of Windows 7 if you're going to buy a Windows license. There is no need to go buy some fancy premium version of Windows.

And if you want to go cheap (free) and still use Windows for a short period - Windows 8 Consumer Preview is out and it runs fine under the two VM apps I tried. Or dig up a copy of Windows XP or buy one off of eBay or Amazon for $50 or so.

I've done UO in CrossOver, WINE, Parallels, and VMWare and the most I've seen on CPU usage is about 20%, and I think that's more due to something else I was doing inside of VMWare in addition to running UO. There isn't much of a difference on my system between Wine/CrossOVer and Parallels/VMWare. Of course my computer is from the middle of 2010. Newer computers would have even less CPU usage. Memory is really cheap as well - I just added 8GB for $50.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that's wonderful, but that's still needlessly spending money and slowing down your system, so why would you spend more to get less out of the game? You must have a HUGE amount of ram a very expensive processor to not see a difference between WINE and Vmware, now don't get me wrong, virtualization is awesome, I use it myeself but for other reasons, but it adds VERY significant overhead on the graphics routines, especially the 3d passthrough (expect at least a 50% framerate drop in the EC) Yes if you're computer is beefy enough you won't notice the difference, but you need a VERY high end computer for that to be true.