• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

LS got a new Fair Grounds outside their Luna?

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice. But these colors! Ugh!
I always ask myself: Most of the things offered by that fair ground can and have been built by players. Thanks to custom housing and house add-ons. I wonder if it really makes a difference that "officials" create such a place. Or if the fairground will be deserted when the first enthusiasm is over, just like the bagball field is today.

You cannot bring back a sense of community by presenting such a place (although it is very nice!). UO has become mostly an item collecting Sims game. And that's our problem.

C

Corvak

'you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink'.

This is much like what this is. The EMs are giving us the locations and the tools for events, but we have to use them. They know darn well that if they do the events, eighty people will show up expecting handouts.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can anyone tell me why we need a fair ground and what the hell it has to do with present story lines?

Am I missing something here? What does this have to do with UO?

Are we going to be farming for cotton candy and Carmel corn to turn them in for points?

I really wish people would just focus on making UO the best fantasy based PVP/PVM dungeon crawl experience.

Cause this is going to be like half the other crap that is littered about the lands and left abandoned.

Or at least make it a reward...the shard does really well on the spring clean-up....or keeps a Silver steed for a year...fine give them a perk/park/fairground. Make UO another SIM city!

<end of rant> ...for now!

C

Corvak

15th...17th...oh heck my alliance is going to be permanently drunk for four days... :)

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just wanted to note that Baja's EMs have added more stuff to their fair grounds now. [NEWS]Seppo improves Skara Fairegrounds yet again!!
I know they just held a very successful archery tournament over there at theirs too. [NEWS] PoePoe Wins Dawn's 11th Anniversary Archery Tournament

Still I can see there is some resistance from some of you over the idea of a Fair Grounds for the Catskills players to use to hold EM and Player ran events. So I just give up on the idea if all of you consider it a bad one. I just thought many people prefer a larger public place to attend events at over having to recall to another persons house for player ran events. I guess I was completely wrong and I am sorry for supporting this idea.

D

DPudding

I kinda agree with TW. I'd rather the EM's use their time on a kicka$$ scenario for us.

C

Corvak

Problem is, EM scenarios are just going to be like the last time. A bunch of whining losers zerging around for an hour. Then someone 'wins' an event rare by having a fast connection.

Then some greedy losers screaming for event rares at the end so they can sell them for stupid prices in luna. I know this issue has been largely rectified by EA's decision on rewards, but the spamming horde still detracts from the whole thing.

Going on what i've seen of the people who put on/attend player run stuff, it's probably a better investment of the EM's time to build places to promote this. Especially if the EM wants to promote RP.

I can see where TW is coming from, but I also think a lot of what he's talking about requires a dev to implement, not just an EM. To make UO excel at dungeon crawling, there needs to be more reward for doing it (ML dungeons are fine, but most of the older ones are just there to farm gold out of.)

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, there already are fair grounds, archery ranges, fighting arenas, dartboards, jousting fields, bartenders, taverns, market events etc. all over Catskills. All run by players and guilds.

Why don't EMs promote those, instead of wasting time with creating new ones?

C

CatLord

... maybe because then they are accused of having favorites.
You know how it goes...

Prolly it is a good idea to create a Fair and pull folk together... maybe not.

Having a big place to have parties and weddings... that should be created.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just wanted to note that Baja'ss EMs have added more stuff to their fair grounds now. [NEWS]Seppo improves Skara Fairegrounds yet again!!
I know they just held a very successful archery tournament over there at theirs too. [NEWS] PoePoe Wins Dawn's 11th Anniversary Archery Tournament

Still I can see there is some resistance from some of you over the idea of a Fair Grounds for the Catskills players to use to hold EM and Player ran events. So I just give up on the idea if all of you consider it a bad one. I just thought many people prefer a larger public place to attend events at over having to recall to another persons house for player ran events. I guess I was completely wrong and I am sorry for supporting this idea.
Val no one is telling you what you should or shouldn't support. No one is telling the EM what they should or shouldn't do. What I was asking was why? What is the need or significance of this fairground?

Players have held huge player run events, ( larger than anything the EM's have done here) Grog Fest, Run for the Cure, to name just 2 in recent years. Neither had the benefit of a fair grounds....so is it really being created for player run events?

Were the people of Catskills poled and asked if they need or want this? Were choices or options given? Or are we getting this because someone somewhere thought it was a good idea, and it gives the EM's something to do?

I just don't understand why any shard needs one...but specifically why we need one. We have blown up towns...we have unused and abandoned towns. If it takes Devs to work with EM's great, but at least lets work towards something interesting.

Pick an unused town ( and for Christ sakes leave Brit alone) and make it a permanent location for an invasion. Ramp up the spawn in a compatible ( same spawn) dungeon. Provide "Monster gates" to move the monsters to the town. Every time we push the monsters back to and close the gate temporarily ( by blowing up BR maybe) we achieve something. Hell sure it can even be part of a fair ground ( just not in Luna). Everytime we push them back we get pts towards something at the fair grounds.

For Christ sakes do something with this idea other than plopping a fairground down like another piece of useless crap we don't need, and haven't earned, and that has no significance! Make it about something....

I could careless if the EM's on Baja made a fair ground...or Lake Superior...or anywhere else. Hell those shards don't even use their zoo...why the hell do they need a fairground to ignore as well?

We have the hedge maze...the astronomy telescope and loads of other crap that just don't matter.

EM's if you want to create something....make it matter! Make us earn it.

This Fairgrounds idea feels like it was on a list somewhere of allowable things EMs can do on their Shard. So they are all slowly but surely going to do it. With no thought of how it can be used to enhance the REAL UO EXPERIENCE.

Val is this fair ground is important to you...then great I am pleased for you...you have given alot to this Shard.

All I ask is they make it about something fun and interesting....Not just another piece of pixel crack that will be tossed into the dung heap that is Luna and ignore 3 months from now!!

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made a statement to a friend that I think sums up part of my objections to this issue.

Unearned+unwanted=unappreciated ( and ultimately forgotten and unused)

I hope they learn and don't make this mistake....again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C

Corvak

Eh, if it isn't wanted, don't bother with it. We can just continue on exactly as we are right now.

Or we can have another stupid zerg event. Those are always good for listening to mindless spam.

...I mentioned in a previous thread, that we ought to have a progressive multi-month event related to the construction of a fairground. This would remove the unearned from your sarcasm-math, TW.

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm excited about the idea of a fair grounds and I can see several possibilities for use. I know in the area I live in Renaissance Fairs are very popular and I see the fair grounds in game as being similar to those. A place where players OR EM's can hold events. We currently have things going on already, that are player run, that I can definitely see being held at a nice fairgrounds. I went over and looked at a couple of the fair grounds that are already built and there are various things there that can be incorporated into an event.

Some have stages. We already have Bards Nite Competitions and, in the past, there have been player run activities that included story telling, etc. A stage at the fair grounds would be a perfect place to hold these without players having to redo their houses to accomodate the event.

Some have archery buttes. Not sure about Catskills but I know I've read of several shards holding "Best Shot in the Realm" contests. Again, if there are archery buttes at the fairgrounds, what better place to hold this type event?

Some have ale stands or bars. Tired and thirsty after a round of story telling or archery competition? Well, there ya go. Step right over and have yourself a drink! Lord knows some of you guys LOVE to drink! Hey, I've seen the *hic* going on. OK, yes, I've been part of it myself.

Some have race tracks. I've never seen a horse race in game but that could be fun.

From what I've seen, the area outside Luna that is being used, isn't used for anything else. It's ALREADY an unused space. If this is something that could get some use then I say, why not? I can actually think of many, many ways this type area could have been incorporated into the Relay for Race or Zoo Event Fundraisers as well as events that are going on today.

To me, this idea doesn't take anything away from all the things we already do and have in game. It actually opens up more options for Player and EM Events. One of the things that I keep hearing people say, especially about the EM events, is give us something that anyone can be included in. Not everyone can go out and fight the uber high end monsters. Well, maybe this can open up some more options?

If you don't like it, and aren't interested, then don't come when an event is being held. If it winds up unused and deserted, o well, at least someone tried. And honestly, if it does wind up unused and deserted, that's our own fault. Maybe it will actually have the opposite effect and actually get that darn bagball arena used for something.

What IS bagball anyway?

D

DPudding

What is bagball? Mr Fart had an adjective in another post that sounds like it may describe what it is.

Truth? No idea.

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
What is bagball? Mr Fart had an adjective in another post that sounds like it may describe what it is.

Truth? No idea.
OK, so who says it's gotta be bagball? It's an arena. Seems to me it could be used for jousting, pvp stuff like what Pike did (not the same but that sort of thing), etc. To me, the possibilities are endless for an area like that. Just takes a little imagination.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think this boils down to those that like pixie crack and eye candy, and those that prefer content.

I think we can all list 10 things easily we would prefer to a fair grounds. I can think of 10 unused dungeons and locations that could better use the effort. Yes time spent on the fairgrounds DOES take away for other things.

Of all the things I can think of that this game NEEDS to be better, I am sorry a fairgrounds in Luna that is just plopped down like a turd isn't one of them.

First off...why Luna?? If you have to pick a town for this why not pick a different town, one that is deserted and unused. And if we have to have this fine make us earn it!!!!!! That way we will at least appreciate it.

Why does Catskills appreciate the zoo...because we have worked damn hard on it...and we have earned it!

I agree Corvak, your idea about earning the fair ground at least solves part of that equation.

If EA/M has their hearts set on giving every bloody shard a fair grounds whether we asked for it or not....then at least spend the time to make the fairgrounds significant.

Make it a prize from the crown for doing something important. Make us do more to expand it!

But no as it stands right now I feel like someone is playing amusement park tycoon with UO. They have pulled down a window and selected amusement park. Once it is placed they can move onto the next thing!

Where is the connection to the rest of the UO content here????
You know it almost feels like one dev/EM on some shard thought hey let me give shard X a fair grounds....now all the other Ems feel they have to do the same thing!

That is great if you get EM's that care about content and substance....but if your EM's just like pretty crap that is useless...

Ya Ya I know the space is there anyway...why not fill it!

How about Why fill it! How about having a damn good reason, a sound logical story line, and an incentive for players to participate before cluttering up more of the land with crap that will be forgotten.

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Where is the connection to other things in UO? How about all the player run events like Grog Fest and Relay for Life and Zoo Events? There are lots of events over the past years that were festival related. This just gives us all a stage to hold them.

Work for it? Yah, cause that has gone over SO well for all the community collections. People are still griping about that little gem of an idea.

Who, exactly is this fair ground idea hurting? Does it effect your gameplay so much then? Putting in a fair ground is going to stop what? A dungeon from being utilized? The dungeons are fairly well done and the new one is coming with SA with more stuff to hack and slash.

And "plopped down like a turd"? Seems to me we were being asked for our input as to what we'd like to see in the other thread. We have the chance to make this something WE want.

Personally, I don't really care if the EM EVER holds an event at the fairground. It will be there for the players to use as well. It's up to us if we utilize it or not.

You don't like Luna? Where else would you suggest? Where's another open, unused spot that has nothing around it and doesn't interfere with other things?

Again, don't like it, don't go to it. This game has plenty for pvp, pvm, crafting, role playing, etc. Even when we were doing the Friday Hunts, they weren't ALL about death robes. We did some that involved using your brain or just racing or having fun. This, to me, is no different and I think it's pretty narrow minded to think this is a HORRIBLE idea that has no place in the game. Maybe it has no place in your game but it might just have a place in someone else's. And really, I thought that's what made UO, well, UO.

B

Beleg Megil

A Fair Grounds, centralized and neutral to everyone, has tremendous role playing possibilities. And really with something like that, you won't need to worry about a lot of time wasted on it that could be spent on other ideas. It could be coded and put in place in a day. And I agree, anyone that doesn't like it can avoid it.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have run all those events Grog...relay for life...Zoo you name it we ran it...without a fair ground and they were incredible!

As others have said player run events already have fairgrounds and jousting tournament...and pet fights... and we have all held/attended these events with no fairground in LUNA.

This isn't needed...it maybe wanted by some...but it is hardly needed.

But there are many things this game needs...and many things EA/M could be doing to solve those issues.

Interesting...I heard these exact same arguments when we lobbied to change the zoo.......

How many said...if you don't like it don't use it!

When some of us said not to support anything until it was fixed...we got trashed.

Now some have asked to move it....or to make us earn it...and again our opinions are shouted down. We are told ..."if you don't like it don't attend".

I own as much of this game as anyone else, and everyone else owns exactly the same amount I do!

Who is anyone to say...if you don't like it don't attend...wow how community minded is that!

Why are those opinions less valid? Because those that want their pixie crack are addicted to it! Lets face it....this fair ground is pixie crack! No more no less.

As far as moving it...there is empty space covered with trees around every town. Part of earning it could involve clearing the land...Hell they can blow up a town, but they can't come up with a way for us to clear an area.

This is easy when X amount of resources are harvested and donated the the land is cleared.
Why not make us earn it....... it has worked great with the zoo.

The library and museum have problems because they are about individual rewards...not community rewards. If the museum actually got rare items from the past it would be a much larger success!

Zoo animals are about community rewards...and that system works perfectly now!

Make the park exactly like the zoo.....to get it we earn it....to get others "Parts" of it...earn it....to keep it earn it!!

It should decay and parts disappear if it isn't maintained in some way!

Why do people resist having to get off their butts to earn something for the community. If this fair ground is so important...and so vital to the shard....then let us earn it!

Few will work harder than me to earn something for this community, including this fair ground.

If this fairground is truly a wonderful idea then people will gladly work hard to earn it...and gladly work hard to maintain it!

If it is just pixie crack as I suggest I doubt it would survive a year! It would decay and be left useless and abandoned!

If others insist on this "me me me" mentality, then this is another example of the EM system failure. People no longer have to earn event items...everyone gets one.

Now when people ask to force the community to earn a fair grounds...again we have the exact same response. NO NO it has to be for free.... we just want it and we want it now!

When the "gimme group" insists on winning this one too and they probably will.....then leave it in Luna....that is exactly where a piece of turd belongs. Everyone knows that Luna is the "butt" of UO!

:gun:

B

Beleg Megil

I for one never said your opinion wasn't valid, I just don't agree with it or some of your supportive reasoning.

I also haven't made vast, sweeping statements that everything you like is a "turd".

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I for one never said your opinion wasn't valid, I just don't agree with it or some of your supportive reasoning.

I also haven't made vast, sweeping statements that everything you like is a "turd".

I hardly stated everything you like is a turd!

I stated this fair ground is one. If that is "everything " you like in UO I feel sorry for you!

I never asked you to agree with me Beleg...I don't expect you to either.

I do expect to be allowed a dissenting view with out being told...."If you don't like it, don't use it"!

You are known as a role player...great. But does that mean your opinion on other elements of UO should be less valid than anyone Else's?

If you suggest changes to PVP for example...should you be told...If you don't like it, don't use it?

Or how is this...right on point! If you suggest a change to the future SA expansion, should you be told "if you don't like it, don't use it?"

Yes that promotes community...yes that promotes discussion.. yes that promotes positive change!

B

Beleg Megil

Wow, I think you could carry this thread all by yourself!

PVP is an element of the game, not a location. Yes, I think it is perfectly legitimate to tell people if they do not like a location, do not go to it. I don't like the Painted Caves. I do not go to it, BUT I do not think it should be gone so no one could go to it.

I do not like KR, therefore I do not use it. But I don't rant that it shouldn't be an option for others.

But a proposed location? No, I don't see the point in either saying it should not exist because I wouldn't like to go there, nor do I see anything wrong in suggesting people that do not like it avoid it and leave it for the people that do.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well beleg then I think you are Dead wrong.

I probably could carry this conversation, but then things wouldn't get twisted and misconstrued!

I said I don't agree with the fair grounds...but if we have to have it
(which I believe we do since the decision has been made)...then move it and make us earn it.

An accurate comparison is not removing the painted caves but changing them.

If you want to change something you have every right to express your opinion with out being told to "bugger off."

The fair grounds are coming....just like SA is coming but hey if you don't like something about SA...that is tough don't use it.

Cause heaven forbid you might have a constructive thought that might improve it!

As I said....ya that is a great way to build community, discussion, and positive change!

D

DPudding

I can go either way on this thing. If it goes like this....I can handle it....King Fresca calls for a carnival to maybe endear some of the folks that want to blow him up with darkly colored geological material. You know who you are. Inu shows up the first night and the darkly robed guys decide she needs to die. Cause she really does need to die. Wave after wave of ophids, crimsons drags and strangers pummel the boundaries of the park. People are dying like crazy! Finally....the lines are broken...Inu stands on the stage....when a fireball blows the sheet outta her! The monsters laugh and vanish....her dying words are, "Fresca.....my love....our child isn't dead......Therion lives............." So....we go looking for Therion. Some would recognize the name......

But....if it's just a place to shoot arrows and say, "Thou and anon and forsooth". Count me out.

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have sat back and watched this thread all evening and to be truthful if I didn’t know better I would think it was in Uhall and not on the Catskills board. So I am going to be blunt about it. I fully support the Fair Grounds and have encouraged our EMs to build it for all of us. You may ask why? Because the new fair grounds does encourage community more than some of you think. I have watched and tracked other shards that have Fair Grounds and they are used constantly for all types of events. One day a RP guild may hold their version of Bards Night there, the next another guild may hold a archery contest. On the third day there may be a weekly horse race there, and on the fourth day the shards EM might start and finish a event from there. All types of players will get use out of an well planned Fair Grounds from RPers to craftsmen, to vendors, to players who enjoy killing things.

Some of you claim well why not just use player houses for all these things? I know many players do not like going to other players houses for events. They find them to be too small for larger events and plus half the time they have no idea how to find the event. With a central location that everyone knows about and plenty of room, larger events can be organized that will draw the Catskills community together at the public Fair Grounds.

I posted asking what everyone wanted from a Fair Grounds so everyone could get things that interested them placed there. It is not like the EM decided this is what you get and that’s it. Our EMs are reading these things so they can have a idea what the average Catskills players want. They have been taking all of your input and have been trying to make the Fair Grounds a place that can be used by all the players. This is not a Fair grounds for just RPers or PvPers or Tamers or Craftsmen… it is a Fair Grounds for EVERYONE!

If you hate the idea of a Fair Grounds then blame me because I am one of the main people who wanted a Fair Grounds for the Catskills community to use, and have been pushing hard for it. You have no idea how hurt and insulted I am by this behavior from people I considered my friends. Ultima Online is much more than going and killing monsters and getting gold or the new hot item of the day. There are many other things that people enjoy doing in the game and just because what they think is fun is not your bag that is no reason to rip them apart. The EM program is for all the players just not those who enjoy killing things in game. Think of other players like I always try to do. I have always strived to make Catskills the best shard out of all of them, and it is my belief that the Fair Grounds is something the community needs. I know most players won’t post now because they don’t want to be insulted for having their own opinion by a few who think their way is the only way.

At first you had me on the edge of giving up on this dream of having something nice for the Catskills players to use by your constant negative posts, but as I read more you just made me disappointed in you for being so shallow, and angry that you would try and force others to see things in such a constricted view of things. Do not rip something apart just because it’s not your cup of tea, instead look at things from the other persons point of view. It just might be eye opening for you.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly somewhere in all this people missed the difference between criticising a thought or an idea and criticising a person.

Val no where in this thread have I seen anyone attacking or insulting you.

Some people critiqued the idea of a Fair grounds and some people made suggestions to change aspects of it. Others supported the idea and defended it.

No where was anyone personally attacked or insulted for their thoughts.

I am sorry you feel that way Val. There was nothing personal about any of this. It was a discussion about a game...no more, no less!

But in closing, it seems to me it is those with dissenting views that should worry about being criticised for their opinions!

If we don't like it...tough, our opinions don't matter, just don't use it!

B

Beleg Megil

Maybe we can take this down a notch and try to understand each other without so much bad feelings. I promise I am not bashing you or "shouting you down" in anyway, I am just expressing my opinions on the subject the same as you are.

Can anyone tell me why we need a fair ground and what the hell it has to do with present story lines?
There are multiple stoylines in UO's current "official" fiction that may or be all tied in together. A fair grounds probably won't tie into them, but maybe it will. Why does it have to? It could just be an option or a seperate thing.

Am I missing something here? What does this have to do with UO?
Because UO is an RPG and this provides a place to role play. The setting for UO is a loose mash-up with elements of medieval, rennaisance and even some dark ages times. Fairs were big news and highly looked forward to back then.

Are we going to be farming for cotton candy and Carmel corn to turn them in for points?
I doubt there will be many chances at farming anything there, there isn't much draw for power gamers at such a place. Kind of similar to the zoo.

I really wish people would just focus on making UO the best fantasy based PVP/PVM dungeon crawl experience.
A Fair would be great for the fantasy/RP aspect of the game. Didn't the Lord of the Rings movies begin at Bilbo's birthday party? Seemed very much like a fair to me. There are also ideas in the "What would you like to see" thread that suggest dueling and even plopping a monster in from time to time, so your concern about that has been covered. But keep in mind, the game is for everyone, not just what *you* would like to see or what *I* would like to see.

Cause this is going to be like half the other crap that is littered about the lands and left abandoned.
It doesn't cost anything to have those places in game for the people that DO use such places. Who's to say that places are never used, ever? I saw the bag ball field mentioned earlier as an example... well, guilds use that for drills, practice, pvp training, group combat tactics, etc. Just because you don't see a place being used when you happen to be there, you can't honestly say you know who goes where 24/7.

Or at least make it a reward...the shard does really well on the spring clean-up....or keeps a Silver steed for a year...fine give them a perk/park/fairground. Make UO another SIM city!
Interseting idea. While I don't believe the base fair grounds should be a reward, I don't see why special events or aspects of the fair grounds can't be a reward. It could be something for the non-tamers. Complete something or collect something and the dunking booth (for example) becomes unlocked.. Or an EM will have a special event there if you drive back an invasion somewhere.

I don't agree with it that EVERYTHING in the game needs to be earned. Not locations that could spark role play and interaction. I think that is covered in the price of my many accounts. Items and personal gain, yes, of course that should be earned, but not more playing choices. I don't see how this could be greedy, since no one can actually own the fair grounds.

<end of rant> ...for now!
What has you so upset about this anyway? Its just another chance for players to have fun and this idea requires little more than a good imagination to use.

D

DPudding

If it's a done deal...and it appears that it is. I've only talked about what it would take to get me to go there. I'm not being critical of the idea. Just trying to express what would make it fun for me.

I mean cmon! Inu dying? That'd be fun for everybody!

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Questions were asked and I attempted to answer them. I never "shouted" anyone's ideas down. I have never in my life attempted to tell anyone how they should play their game although people love to tell me how I should play, think, feel, live. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and so am I. I have just as much right to voice that opinion and disagree with you as you have to disagree with me. Choice of words, however, sometimes lead to arguments instead of mere disagreements and leaves people feeling attacked instead of disagreed with.

UO is not, and never has been a strictly fantasy pvp/pvm game. Ultima Online is a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). Note the role play in that definition. Do a Yahoo or Google search and you will find that easily.

Role Playing is different things to different people. However, what makes Ultima Online unique, in my opinion, is that you can become immersed in your character, regardless of that character's profession. Each character can have their own personality and definition. I know, for myself, no two of my characters act the same. When I enter UO, I enter a different world where I'm free to choose how I want to spend my time. If I've had a bad day, I can bash on something. If I'm feeling chatty, I can sit and visit with my friends. I can attend a bard's nite and listen to stories. The possibilities are endless.

Let's take the fantasy, role playing and immersion parts of this equation for a minute and apply them to the fairgrounds and the Luna area.

From a Wikipedia article found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Fair

A Renaissance fair, Renaissance faire, or Renaissance festival is an outdoor weekend gathering, usually held in the United States, open to the public and generally commercial in nature, which emulates a historic period for the amusement of its guests.
Renaissance fairs encourage visitors to enter into the spirit of things with costumes and audience participation. Most tolerate, and many welcome, fantasy elements such as wizards and elves.
There is a whole section in that article on the Characteristics of a Ren Fair and it's basis.

During medieval times, fairs were a common form of entertainment. People were very spread out and a fair was a way for people to come together for fun and commerce. A chance to relax and bond in a central location that everyone had access to.

Like it or not, Luna has become a center of commerce. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, it just IS. The area outside of Luna near the bagball court actually reminds me of the Ren Fairs I've been to. Flags flowing, streets full of vendors of all shapes and sizes, massive amounts of crowds, etc. If the fairgrounds is done to blend into that area, to ME, it's a perfect fit. And yes, again, Luna is not my favorite place in the world either. But for this, to ME, it makes sense.

When I start thinking of the uses for a fair grounds, my imagination just takes off. And not for stuff the EM's can do for us. For things that WE can use the fairgrounds for ourselves for years to come. I view this as a place that is open to everyone and has areas that are only limited by what we can envision. No, not necessarily a hack and slash, but it could be that as well. Why not? Like I said, it's only limited by what WE do with it.

Again, these are MY opinions. I'm entitled to them like everyone else. You are certainly entitled to yours as well and I would never tell anyone otherwise.

As for my statement, if you don't like it, don't come. Why is that wrong? I'd tell anyone that. And not in a snide way either. I truly feel that if you don't enjoy something in the game, you shouldn't do it. There are things that I absolutely loathe so I don't do them. There are things in the game that I don't enjoy but I DO do them to spend time with my friends. But that's my choice and everyone is entitled to that choice. Don't like role playing? Don't do it. Don't like pvp? Don't do it. Don't enjoy getting killed 10 bazillion times by paragon spawn? Don't go fight them. Seems fair to me.

Again, these are MY thoughts, MY feelings, MY opinions and I have every right to them. You all have every right to disagree with me.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fully support the Faire Grounds idea. Player run cities usually have laws/policies that don't make them open to everyone. A public neutral location would be an excellent place for people to gather.

I spend about 5% of my time logged in PvP/PvM'ing, about the same for the storyarc quests; the other 90% I run a player city, gm an roleplaying guild, plan events like book fairs, seasonal celebrations, host masquerade balls and the like, I pay my subscription to be able to enjoy events like these. A public faire grounds would be utilized if by no one else by me. I can think of many events that could take place there, the RP community used to host a monthly bazaar in Trinsic, flee markets, tournaments all kinds of things to get people to gather together and share their time.

Tearing apart this idea can easily be seen as a judgment against my style of game-play, though I hope that wasn't anyone's intention. The EM's are not in place to support only one type of player, I frankly was very disappointed by the Siren event, but would love to see the Faire Grounds built. There is a place on Cats for both and many other ideas the EM's can produce. I just hope the loudest voices aren't the only ones heard.

D

DPudding

Well....I didn't partake in the siren event until the do-over on Sunday. I had a good time. Did I get anything? Nope. Didn't care. Was it the most fun I've ever had in-game? Not by a longshot.

Just so there's no mistaking my desires...I'll clarify.

If the fair grounds is created, fine. If the fair grounds doesn't have any activities going on in it that I wanna join...then I'll not go to it. It's not an indictment of a playstyle. And that's what I think everyone is getting so bent about! I don't RP. I don't like to RP. I don't write fanfic. I like going out and fighting things. I'm blunt and unapologetic of my playstyle. Truly...99% of the shard plays the way I do. Does that make it right? No. But it does cast serious doubt on the hope that a fair grounds is gonna be the saviour of the catskills community. People have RP events all the time....99% of the shard does something else. Is that gonna change with a different venue? No...it's not. To think otherwise is deluded at best. Val...bless him, is a good guy...and I consider him to have nothing but the shard's best interest at heart. But the truth is....unless this area is used to begin or end an EM/Game event....it's gonna be deserted. Wait....it's gonna be bereft of the people who aren't involved in the community already. It's gonna be a stage for the RP community. In a game where there are already deserted venues.

Again...build it. But I'd much rather see those resources put to a largescale event.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I must agree with what Vallend said.
It is probably a good idea to have a common fairground which everybody knows. It makes things easier. And it surely won't hurt Catskills to have such a place. So let's not be so negative.

I just remember the days when houses weren't even customizable. Players outlined battlefields by laying reagents on the ground, and many came to have fun. Today we have all the tools we need, and it still is difficult to get a handful of players interested in events. So the problem obviously isn't the location, but the community.

B

Beleg Megil

Well, role playing isn't for everyone, Hawkeye. We have always been a minority, even back in the late 90s. Personally, I think people are missing out if they haven't tried it but I also think people who don't put black olives on their pizza are missing out. I never saw the logic in people signing up for an online role playing game and not role playing. To me, that's like signing up for a poker tournament then saying you are just there to use a power outlet and if we need you, you'll be playing Guitar Hero in the corner. But to each their own. The canvas is there for all of us and its big enough for all of us to paint on it.

The Fair Grounds, if created, can surely be used by PvE/PvM/PvPers, RPers and Powergamers alike. An EM can have a "shard fiction" or "official" event one night, a party for everyone that participated the next, and a dedicated RP guild like (ROSE) or Village of Aegis could have a joust or tea and poetry night the next.

I know if its built, I and many others in the purely RP community will be holding and attending events there. And just maybe, people will swing by and check it out beacuse of the location and its "newness". And maybe someone will decide from that experience to throw a character in Heart of Silverwood, or UP or Aegis or Phaen's faes. Anything that increases the purely RP community by even ONE player is worth it to me. Selfishly, I look forward to it being built, but really, most types of player will find some benefit in it. That's a win all around.

B

Beleg Megil

And so far as Timberwolf's idea of making us earn it like the zoo critters... What about making all of the Spring Cleaning turn ins work for Faire Maintenance? Have a box like at Vesper Museum with a point system. If they are going to do a Spring Cleaning again like last year, the items could still count for turn ins, but the rest of us who are over it and have what we want can turn in the junk littering our bank boxes and the shards to keep the Faire Attractions in business. Maybe some little, non-resellable perks like titles. "Faire Grounds Patron" or blue sashes that automatically imprint your name? "Beleg Megil's Blue Ribbon for ______________" where the blank is randomized from a list? It would be character linked and pretty much worthless (especially with my name on it) but would be a cute incentive to keep donating until you get the random blue ribbon you want.

Just brainstorming on that aspect of it, but yeah...makes sense to me that if ya keep the shard's litter picked up, you get better things at the Park :).

C

Corvak

I must agree with what Vallend said.
It is probably a good idea to have a common fairground which everybody knows. It makes things easier. And it surely won't hurt Catskills to have such a place. So let's not be so negative.

I just remember the days when houses weren't even customizable. Players outlined battlefields by laying reagents on the ground, and many came to have fun. Today we have all the tools we need, and it still is difficult to get a handful of players interested in events. So the problem obviously isn't the location, but the community.

Pike, you hit the nail on the head. If you don't like it, don't use it. But seeing as how many players on the shard do not come to stratics, they don't know about a lot of events that go on. I only found out about the first Black Market I went to because I jumped some drunken pirate's gate in Haven in january...

RP Guilds - get the word out that you accept alternate characters. A lot of people wouldn't mind making a character for RP, knowing that they dont have to leave their current guild. Also, make it known that you're willing to work with people newer to RP.

I don't have any RP guild experience, but I have an alt character in UP and I have great fun with it (Yar!) - though my play time hasn't been much, due to RL stuff this past week.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RP Guilds - get the word out that you accept alternate characters. A lot of people wouldn't mind making a character for RP, knowing that they dont have to leave their current guild. Also, make it known that you're willing to work with people newer to RP.

I don't have any RP guild experience, but I have an alt character in UP and I have great fun with it (Yar!) - though my play time hasn't been much, due to RL stuff this past week.
I agree with this. RP guillds must be ready and willing to accept alt characters in their guilds. In the past this has been a slight problem should two guilds engage in a battle and a person has a character in each guild. Most wind up killing themselves in a fit of confusion.

Roleplayers are not born bor do they spring up out of the ground in new Haven. Many come to RP by first watching others engaged in story lines and then attempting to become a part of the RP community at large. We must not be quick to judge or critique the degree of a persons ability to stay in character all the time but must instead welcome those new to the community and help guide them through their character building.

A community is judged by how well they welcome others. And by offering those wishing to enter RP or even those already engaged activly in the community to enroll alts in our guilds we can continue to grow and rebuild what we have and look towards the future of UO with hope and in the spirit of friendshilp.

But always keep in mind no two of us RP the same, nor are any of us so perfect that we do not at some time lose character.

P.S.
we wantz a fair grounds precious. It's our birthday, give it to us my love.