• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looks like there's another network outage

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
dident have to change anything and i can log in fine.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am using google dns, has same issue

A fix is finding the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Open it in notepad or another ASCII text editor, and add the line:

Code:
63.117.27.168    login.ultimaonline.com
Worked for me at least

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can't figure out where to put what and such... im not computer smart at all.. will EA have this fixed soon? anyone know?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oki, sorted, edited the hosts file. thanks
Please explain for us all why it is important to remove this once it's fixed.

Samaira

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can you explain that more fully please?
Sorry Petra, it's a bit over my head too... he just leaned over my shoulder and clickety-clickety "try that and see if it works, honey" tada login successful magic stuff, then told me to post here in case it helped someone else :blushing:

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because the login ip may change in future, which would cause the hosts entry to referense to an incorrect ip, while the domain through usual dns links to the right one.
That would be bad, Especially if people forgot they changed their host file. They'd be pulling their hair out wondering why it isn't working. And reinstalling UO wouldn't fix it either!

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would be bad, Especially if people forgot they changed their host file. They'd be pulling their hair out wondering why it isn't working. And reinstalling UO wouldn't fix it either!
Indeed!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you.

I had pretty much guessed that, but it's always wise to have it actually said. :)

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See if the dog was not asleep the hamster * yes i know its a chipmunk* s could go do its job

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I tried that host editing but can only save to documents as .txt
Than i copied the old host file to my documents to have it save to be able to replace if something goes wrong
than i copied the new host to the etc folder and renamed it to host

It stays a .txt file and seems to not work - at least here, i cant login..

what am i doing wrong?

W7Pro32bit here...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Than i copied the old host file to my documents to have it save to be able to replace if something goes wrong

what am i doing wrong?

W7Pro32bit here...
Try Gareth's walk through, it may be clearer

Fix UO Connection (Windows 7 & XP) | Stratics Forums

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well this just plain sucks. Been out of the house at the doctor's all day and come back to sign in my loyalty chars and servers down, geezo. Now all my chars are gonna drop their loyalty. gahhhhh

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

what am i doing wrong?

W7Pro32bit here...
If you can't see the .txt extension - open up folder options, on the view tab scroll down and deselect 'hide known extensions'

Then just delete the .txt from the filename and save it as 'hosts' with no extension :)

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That looks way too complex for my poor brain. I'll consult my sons on it next time I see them
Meantime I'll maybe try editing my hosts file, or just carry on doing housework till it's fixed.
From a man who knows, there is only so much house work that can be done before you go insane. Fix your file and log in and relax. Im sure you deserve it :)

jasbos8

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Anyone else having trouble connecting right now?
Hi we still out in uk i am not bothering with all this change server things,this is the second time in 2 weeks getting to the point i begin to depair for this game as it seems to be in a poor state,played 6 years and i am really at the point of moving on to new pastures.Poor events,crashes at events and when you complain i am told to rum game with no sound at events and turn everything on my new pc of to get game to run at events lol i can play every other game at full rez???.Can they not just fix things ?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi we still out in uk i am not bothering with all this change server things,this is the second time in 2 weeks getting to the point i begin to depair for this game as it seems to be in a poor state,played 6 years and i am really at the point of moving on to new pastures.Poor events,crashes at events and when you complain i am told to rum game with no sound at events and turn everything on my new pc of to get game to run at events lol i can play every other game at full rez???.Can they not just fix things ?
I'm not sure you can hold Bioware/Mythic responsible for the weather.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well on my old XP toaster it worked...My new windows 7 machine i just bought yesterday...well that didnt work out...Any ideas? any? I edited in notepad exactly how i did it on my xp machine

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't have any problems logging in just now or the last time we had a DNS-related issue a week or so ago from out in the western part of the U.S. Sounds more and more like this is probably an east coast U.S. - western European problem, probably weather-related.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Didn't have any problems logging in just now or the last time we had a DNS-related issue a week or so ago from out in the western part of the U.S. Sounds more and more like this is probably an east coast U.S. - western European problem, probably weather-related.
I am in Western Europe and play Pacific - we truly have problems here in Central/Western Europe with dns and the net itselfe we have summer storms here...but i dont think this should have any impact on server not located in Central/Western Europe....but i was reading the news you have troubles with the weather in the US too...

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm in Thailand and I can't log in to Sonoma, and the weather's fine here.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please read post #45 in this thread, posted by Basara to understand where the weather relates to this problem.

O'Brien

Thought Police
Stratics Veteran
I'm not sure you can hold Bioware/Mythic responsible for the weather.
No, but you can hold Bioware/Mythic responsible for taking localized events into account when designing their network infrastructure...

Ya know, reliability? Redundancy, as mentioned earlier in the thread?

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please read post #45 in this thread, posted by Basara to understand where the weather relates to this problem.
Trying to comprehend why weather in East Coast USA would affect me in Thailand trying to hook to a California server.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because first you have to log in with your account, before you get to choosing a server, which means the log in server, in Fairfax.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because first you have to log in with your account, before you get to choosing a server, which means the log in server, in Fairfax.
Wow, ok, had no idea about that. I figured the entire process was handled at each server. Thanks for clearing that up.
I've tried the workaround but the first line doesn't work for me, I have no search box at the upper right hand corner in my notepad. I know, I must just be dumb, please 'scuse all the silly questions.

T

Tragger

Trying to comprehend why weather in East Coast USA would affect me in Thailand trying to hook to a California server.
Because your computer asks to connect to login.ultimaonline.com. It asks the DNS servers configured in your network settings or via DHCP. They either reply with the IP they have locally cached (why some people work and some don't) or they have to go to the public servers to get that information.

ultimaonline.com. 172800 IN NS ns.eamythic.com.
ultimaonline.com. 172800 IN NS ns2.eamythic.com.

This says that ns.eamythic.com and ns2.eamythic.com have authoritative information about the domain ultimaonline.com.

ns.eamythic.com has address 70.166.64.70
ns2.eamythic.com has address 70.166.64.72

These are the IP addresses of those nameservers. Notice they are 2 IP addresses apart. Standard practice is to put at least one nameserver physically and logically somewhere else on the Internet.

Here is the last hop before timeouts going to those IP Addresses.

11 mrfddsrj02-ae0.0.rd.dc.cox.net (68.1.1.7) 47.993 ms 48.144 ms mrfddsrj01-ae0.0.rd.dc.cox.net (68.1.1.5) 49.726 ms

So a failure on the east coast could kill the network that hosts both of those servers, which is why you can't access the network in Cali to play your game.

If they had just used their registrar to handle DNS or put one of the DNS servers on the west coast, then everything would still be operational.

Some say google dns works, but I'll warn you that 8.8.8.8 (google dns) is an anycast address. Only some of their DNS servers have the IP address cached. Others do not. Eventually they will all timeout.

This one times out in 33,801 seconds from now.

login.ultimaonline.com. 33801 IN A 63.117.27.168
login.ultimaonline.com. 33801 IN A 63.117.27.169

Edit: Luckily since I play, all the customers that use my ISP no longer have issues. I went ahead and configured our ISP servers to know about login.ultimaonline.com without asking the public dns servers. Of course, I'll also have to clear that out once the issues is resolved.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To save the hosts file you must first open notepad 'as adminstrator' then open the file

Hopefully this might help:

text.jpg

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To save the hosts file you must first open notepad 'as adminstrator' then open the file

Hopefully this might help:

View attachment 9488
Ok I"m clearly stupid, and need an exact order of steps, as that's not working for me either. When I click on Notepad and Run as Admin, it opens notepad. then if I do a search for the hosts file, once I find it and dbl click it, its asking what program to open it with. Well, Notepad is already open from running it as Admin. So I'm lost...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oki, try this.

open notepad, run as adminstrator
Then 'file' 'open'
then drop down the box 'text documents' and choose 'all files'
them paste into 'file name' C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
click 'open'

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
oki, try this.

open notepad, run as adminstrator
Then 'file' 'open'
then drop down the box 'text documents' and choose 'all files'
them paste into 'file name' C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
click 'open'
I do believe I love you, I hope my wife never sees this. Thank you Petra...

A

Adrenalin

Yet another total newb.
I tried to follow the steps as best I could and when it didn't work, I tried again. This is what I have done, maybe you could show me where I screwed up.

Manually selected the file location by clicking Computer, Windows, System32, drivers then etc. In this window I see hosts along with 4 other files. Hosts under name followed by date modified and then under type shows text document. It would not allow me to save the edit and says to contact administrator. Unsure if what follows is correct or not and after making a backup copy of the original hosts file, I create another copy of the hosts file as illustrated in the link above but on my desktop. Going back to the original location, I delete the original hosts file and paste in the edited copy and then as Administrator it allows me to save it. I try to log in and get the same message.

With that said, on my system it appears a little differently than in the link above. There are "#" and a space prior to every line in my original hosts file. I tried it with and without the "#" and even tried to line up the first number of the IP address with the above.

Where "all" did I go wrong?

edit: Using windows 7

T

Tragger

Yet another total newb.
I tried to follow the steps as best I could and when it didn't work, I tried again. This is what I have done, maybe you could show me where I screwed up.
See post #91. Those are the most concise instructions.

A

Adrenalin

The second pic shows one of the ways I edited the file but I also tried by adding it like this

I followed the instructions in post 91.... In my mind that is!

Still not connecting. I tried connecting thru UOAssist and straight thru UO

T

Tragger

Still not connecting. I tried connecting thru UOAssist and straight thru UO
You have the wrong IP Address.

It's 63.117.27.169 not 63.117.27.168. Other than that, the second pic was the correct one.