• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

LOL (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elwood

Two more AFL players have joined the group of footballers who sit one positive test away from being suspended for up to 18 games for illicit drug use.

But the AFL claims it is winning its war on illicit drugs through out-of-competition testing, but has plans to cast its net further.

Those positive tests comprised 11 players - nine caught for the first time, one who tested positive twice in the year spanning February 2008 to February 2009, and another who tested positive a second time having also done so over the previous three years.

The two players who recorded their second failed test took to seven the number of footballers across the league sitting on two strikes, who will be named and called before the tribunal if they notch a third positive test.

Another player twice tested positive between 2005-09, but is no longer playing.

Of the 12 positive tests recorded in 2008-09, three were for cannabinoids, eight for stimulants and one for a mixture of both.

Under the league's illicit drugs policy, players who test positive either once or twice are protected by anonymity, so that only they, their club doctors and AFL medical officers know.

Despite the league's education policy and the threat of being caught, some players used illicit drugs.

But the AFL maintained its policy was successful in reducing the number of players who did so.

AFL football operations general manager Adrian Anderson said he was not surprised some players used drugs even though they had been caught previously.

"It doesn't astound me at all," he said.

"It's inevitable with the group as large as what we've got that there will be some players who from time to time make bad decisions and the role of this policy is to address those bad decisions and change their behaviour.

"These results show that is what's happening."

Anderson said the proportion of players who had tested positive in the last sample - 0.98 per cent - would compare favourably to most workplaces in Australia.

The AFL plans to conduct 1,500 tests in 2009-10, including a trial period of testing hair samples during players' holiday time.

AFL Players' Association (AFLPA) chief executive Brendon Gale supported further testing, as the union was motivated by addressing the health of their and welfare of players.

"If that means players who need support have the opportunity to change their behaviour then I'm comfortable with that," Gale said.

Gale said the AFLPA was encouraged by the results, and acknowledged the players' preparedness back in 2005 to agree to out-of-competition drug testing.

But he also highlighted the difficulties in eliminating all drug use among a large group of young men.

"It's a factor that perhaps our guys are risk-taking individuals almost by definition, and it's also a factor that alcohol is also involved," he said.

The AFL has a separate in-competition drug policy that tests for performance-enhancing substances
Hmm, I remember someone telling me not so long ago how much 'better' the AFL are at weeding out drug cheets that other sports...

One strike - we won't name you, we are not allowed to sack you and you can keep playing

Two strikes, we won't name you, we are not allowed to sack you, we will slap you on the wrist and you can keep playing

Three strikes and then you will be named and the club has the 'option' to sack you if it wishes.

OR

On your second strike you can go to another club and your slate is wiped clean and you can start all over again (with your new club having no knowledge of your drug history).

You may consider my opinion biased because I am a League supporter so, here is a little public opinion on this issue -

Wake up AFL it is illegal and you are condoning it. What sort of example are you setting for the future of the game. It is about time the AFL got tough and banned all users for life, it is no wonder society is like it is when role models (whether they like it or not) in all sports behave the way they do. The AFL and its clubs have the opportunity to make a stance, clean up the sport and put it to the forefront in the fight against illegal drugs in sport. If the current AFL commissioners and its employed staff are not willing to do this, then it is time they vacated their posts and let people who are willing to do what is best for the future of the game take charge.
Plaster their names and clubs all over the papers, treat them the same way the media treats Rugby League! See what the women and sponsors have to say about them. By the way drug cheats should be banned for a first offence!
Why is it that the AFL doesn't see the need to follow the same standards as other sports? Ok, so they don't have to. However, if you get caught using drugs in rugby or cycling or cricket you face a 2 year complete ban not just a couple of match suspensions. What's with the strike system? It sounds like primary school. If a player breaks the laws they should suffer the consiquences not just get 2 strikes or whatever!
The fundamental problem is Andrew Demetriou and his merry band at Club AFL. The naming thing is irrelevant. It is more to the point that if you are caught, you're out. 3 strikes sends completely the wrong message to everyone, not just the kids. People don't just accidentally take drugs. If the AFL were a serious organisation and had more on their minds than their mania with mangling our game and counting their money, then this matter would be different and more clean players would get well deserved opportunities to play. Put someone in charge who has footballs.
And my personal favourite -
When is the A.F.L.hicharcy going to drop this 2 times tested positive socalled rule and have some balls and drop it to YOU TEST positive you will named and suspended from playing until you clean your act up.Ben Cousin has done it despite never tested positive once under the A.F.L system .Come on Andrew show some balls and make the hard calls like this drug issue and stop making changes to the rules and making our national game a tiggy touch wood affair,because our game is soft compaired to 15years ago

E

Elwood

I posted it here because I was hoping for a response that had some thought but I forgot you can't have an intelligent argument, especially on a topic you assume to know a lot about but really know nothing.

I told you before pet, i'll leave the kids stuff to the kids, i'm not interested in trading insults like who is the bigger c*ck loving fa**ot, gang r*ping toilet cleaner. I'll leave that for you and your gutter trash guild mates... :gee:

Status
Not open for further replies.