• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Log-out fatal window. Help?

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I log out, a fatal window Pops up. I *close that window *(hit ok or X) and game shuts downs.
This is happening to ALL my accounts. I am able to log-in and play the game okay, but ... when I log any character out - - the Pop Up Fatal Window appears. It reads:

Could not open file for writing: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\ Ultima Online
2D Client\Account Name\Sonoma\Character Name eg.Jade\desktop.uos

ok

My computer :dunce: knowledge is somewhat limited, so since I am not sure of the 'where, what, how and why' of things, if someone knows the problem and is willing to help, it will probably require a bit of step by step HOW to DO whatever is required to be done. Hopefully my son might be able to help next weekend when he visits ..but hey, would it damage the game or do something if I continue playing while I wait for an answer to the problems?

I recently upgraded Adobe CS2 to CS5 and a new patch from Windows 7 downloaded the other day which did change a few things on this computer. This fatal window suddenly started appearing a couple of hours ago when I was using characters on various accounts to refresh their loyalty to various cities.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Log-Out fatal message which started appearing so mysteriously- - stopped appearing just as mysteriously???
After roping and taking prisoners to Scara's Captain of the guardl, refreshing loyalty to Venerated again, when I logged out this time Log-Out was back to normal. The normal Log-in Window appeared before I shut UO down

I logged in another account and the same .. Log-Out and no fatal window.

WEIRD! No reason for it happening nor for it stopping.??? :confused:

I KNOW! THEY created a new GREMLIN:fight: :devil: in UO that meddles with our UO files randomly ! !

Rioters Raiders and Repitition - - aren't enough?

:oops:.... *getting paranoid*

Could not open file. Closed the file. Opened the file. Can't find the file. etc etc etc ...

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I log out, a fatal window Pops up. I *close that window *(hit ok or X) and game shuts downs.
This is happening to ALL my accounts. I am able to log-in and play the game okay, but ... when I log any character out - - the Pop Up Fatal Window appears. It reads:

Could not open file for writing: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\ Ultima Online
2D Client\Account Name\Sonoma\Character Name eg.Jade\desktop.uos

ok

I logged in a character on an account and everything that was set up is gone .. and the fatal message appears when I log off.
Have shut down and rebooted the computer but nothing.

Am going to leave it until later today to see if it heals itself again.

*(gives computer a kick, then a friendly pat) grrrr ... !!!

tiara1971

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its happening to me to, i find if i dont do a pc reboot for 3 or more days i get the message so i just reboot pc daily now seems to have stopped. And i use XP and its all updated

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know how to fix it, but I know what's wrong. That's the wrong path to the character files, they're not saved in the program files folder, they're saved in the 'my documents' folder.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup, exact same problem. That file is your uo desktop file that keeps track of your macros, spell icons on your desktop etc.

When I log in I have nothing setup and then when I make a change - I get this fatal error when signing out.

Petra is right - that is NOT the correct location for the file. If I copy the file there - it still doesn't work.

Now if I log in on diff account, desktop is fine. THen I log back in with account/char in question and it is fine.

If it makes any difference it was the one character I took to Covetous.

UO developer/testing fail.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This path is what you would expect if you run in win98 or compatibility mode for same under vista/7. And error occurs when file is write protected.